• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 646 Views, 5 Comments

Distorted Vision - Jigsaw



A changeling is discovered living in Ponyville.

  • ...
2
 5
 646

Chapter ? - Guard Duty

Friday, 11:30 pm


Choke Hold was a fairly average guard. He had experience apprehending criminals, but not much countering hostile invasion. The Canterlot Guard had been on high alert in the days preceding the wedding, yet due to the fact the guard weren't really soldiers, they nearly lost the city to the soulless bug-ponies.

Nevertheless, he was still transferred to the Ponyville guard after the incident. A small town like Ponyville would normally be considered a demotion, but due to its proximity to the Everfree Forest, the job could be quite interesting.

Upon his transfer, he was assigned to a taller earth pony named Second Chance, and he found out the job wasn't nearly as exciting as he thought it would be. Most of the battles were handled by a small group of mares, which meant it was back to patrols and arrests.

All in all, the most interesting events were the paranoid ponies who think their spouse/friend/complete stranger is secretly a changeling. They normally revolved around unfounded accusations of the other pony, 'acting suspicious'.

"Ma-am, he is not a changeling," Choke tried explaining to another panicked mare, "I've performed the spell designed to uncloak changelings twice, with no response."

The mare continued despite the test, "Well, then, he must just be immune to it!"

The stallion was becoming impatient, "Come on, he's done it twice. Can I please go now? The store's closing in an hour, and I'm not sure I'll make it at this rate."

Choke tried again as Chance choked back a laugh behind him, "Ma-am, This is not a changeling. Do you see a black shell?"

"N- No."

"Glowing blue eyes?"

"No.."

"If he were a changeling, the spell would have reverted him back to his original form, so I'll say this one more time. He. Is. Not. A. Changeling. You can go now, sir."

The stallion shot an angry glare at the mare before addressing the guards, "Thank you."

Choke turned to his partner, "I wish ponies would just get over the changelings. Only a couple of ponies had even heard of them before the invasion, and now everypony seems to think everypony else is being impersonated.

Second Chance sighed, "It was a pretty major event. That bug queen even beat Celestia, herself. They have every right to be scared."

The pair returned to their patrol as an obviously drunk mare stumbled toward them. Oh, brother, this is going to be an interesting one.

The mare slurred her words "Hello, offi-hic-cer. M- friend get drunk and now he's- changeling..."

Choke put a hoof to his head, speaking with as little annoyance as he could, "What's his name?"

The mare weaved to one side, "His na-hic-me's Alibi. He lives on the street with the tree..."

Choke planted his hoof back on the ground, "We will investigate first thing tomorrow morning. Good night, Ma-am."

The mare saluted, then stumbled when her hoof left the ground, weaving back down the street.

"You know, Chance, if we weren't required to investigate every single paranoid delusion these ponies had, I wouldn't even bother."

"She didn't seem all that paranoid."

"She's drunk. Plus, it's almost midnight. We'll find that guy's house in the morning. In the meantime, I'm going home."