• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 8,156 Views, 206 Comments

Strangely Resilient Ember - DeliriousCrimson



Kurama, a young firebender of the proud fire nation. He had lived quite the normal life.. up until he was ritually sacrificed in secret on his birthday. In his final moments, he cursed the world. But little did he know that he'd soon enter a new one.

  • ...
29
 206
 8,156

Sunny Establishments

Just when was it?

When was it that he began to dedicate himself to becoming strong? Why was it that he chose to do this? For what reason did he desire strength?

When I look back, it seems like he has always wanted this..

But when I look even further, I see things that confuse me.. I see a weeping mother who wanted to live comfortably. Yes.. and I also see a son who wanted to grant her wishes, always disregarding his own well being for that sake.

But to do this, the boy discarded his sense of individuality as a human being..? Hmm yes, It seems so.

It looks like that little boy became a marionette that mimicked human behavior, the sort that acted on the simple dismissive wave of a hand. He chose to become this because it seems that the boy could only find any sort of maternal love through this method.. so that he could join the army, climb the ranks, and give his beloved puppet master the life she desired. All because he felt strongly that this was the way the world worked for everybody.

And his father? Well, sometimes it seemed like he loved his agricultural establishment much more than he did any fellow human.

Because of this, the boy never had to worry about his dangerous antics under the pretext of "training" to ever be stopped. He believed that the more dangerous the test, the more fruitful the results. But he was just a child, thus, his "training" constantly failed. Yet every time it did, he would find a new, much more dangerous way to get stronger, but fail again.

All the while, the boy convinced himself that this was all his will.. that he did this of his own accord.

The constant fear that he felt before he underwent a new, potentially painful ordeal. The effort he put into enduring whatever he threw his own way. And the fustration, oh the fustration he felt when he failed.. by now he had surely counted every single leaf from the big tree outside his hospital bedroom, no doubt.

Yet the boys naïve little mind continued to latch onto the belief that this was his own desire. That what he did was what he had to do, since mothers were a thing to be treasured afterall.

However, slowly but surely, a feeling of hopelessness began to swell deep in the boys gullible little heart.

Naturally, this left a scar in said heart of the boy. This scar grew and grew, devoid of any parental treatment until that fateful day on his sixteenth birthday, when the boy decided that his next training regiment would be against the lovely cliff near the windmill of the farm.

He gathered his nerves and emptied all his tears, but before he could begin.. a gentle palm to his shoulder stopped him.

The boy weakly turned to face a frail looking old man, his smile releasing a warmth that the boy had never felt from anyone, not his father, not his mother, nor his teachers. So new to the boy was this warmth, that his first instinct was to reject this intruding aura.

And with the empty and desolate eyes he had, the boy weakly glared at the old man who roughly pinched his cheeks.

"Hmm, those eyes.." began the old geezer.

"For someone as young as you to possess them.. such must be the sorrows of the world," he cooed while patting the boys hair.

The boy, enraged beyond his wits, bit into the warm and caring hand which induced a yelp from the elder stranger. Thanks to this, passionate fire was then lit in the old mans speech.

"Gah! You little devil!" he scolded as he grabbed the boys hand. Despite a fierce struggle, the boy could not resist as the old man dragged him away with unnatural strength.

"Little brats like you can't complain if I make them my punching bag for the day, eh?" he warned while directing the defiant boy a wide, devilish grin.

"Curse you old man! Let go of me, now!!" warned the boy in response. He did not understand why the old man went to such extents to further involve himself with him. Naturally, this could only spike a strange sense of angered uncertainty in his youthful brain.

"Curse? Oh, such spunk! Hehehe, why you're the splitting image of myself when I was younger! And unfortunately for you, that makes me want to beat you senseless!" heartily replied the man.

"Just don't die on me before i'm through with ya!" he then joked...

..his smug and caring voice echoing sharply through my head.

Slowly I shifted positions and motioned my hand onto my eyes as to block out the light. That darn light, always interfering with my lovely slumber. Come on, can't a guy get some proper shut-eye around here?

For a lower class residence, the windows in my room were much too spacey for my liking. Not to mention that I chose to position the bed in the very middle of the room, for whatever reason.

Also, what was that beeping noise? Did Pa build yet another failure of a music box? For Sozin's sake, just how many times was he intending to enter that darn competition? That pumpkin wasn't even that impressive!

Struck with a tinge of mild irritation, I slowly lifted my eyes open, a blinding flash being the first thing to greet my gaze. I groaned and began to rub my eyes before proceeding to study my surroundings.

"A.. hospital bed?" I silently muttered, a strong sense of bitter nostalgia ramming into me.

I looked around the magnificent light purple that painted the walls, as well as the many posters and ornaments around the room. Then I took a glance at my bed, its design being very fancy. Lastly, I noticed that my body was comfortably snugged under a blanket and that I was hooked up to some beeping contraption.

But where was this place and why was I here?

"....."

I jerked up violently as it all suddenly came back to me, the princesses, Tirek, Discord, the battle, my oath.. all of it. A mild pain originated from my body due to my quick motion, also beckoning me to gaze downwards to my heavily bandaged body.

It seems I was nursed back to health.. but what happened while I was out?? Where are the princesses!? Wheres Tirek and whats become of Equestria!?

A loud gasp soon echoed across the room as I quickly inspected the large contraption so that I could find a way to release myself from it.

I turned towards the door to see a white female pony, a cap with a red plus on her head, her well groomed wings widely stretching out in what seemed to be surprise.. I guess? But before I could begin to ask her questions about the current status of things, she ran off furiously.

"Princess! ...Princess!" she called as she ran further and further down the hall.

I scratched my cheek as I looked on in confusion. She looked like she saw a ghost.. was my bed hair really that horrific?

No brat. You have been comatose for a week, but sadly it seems like your body no longer needs to remain in such a state.

"What!?" I burst out without a second thought.

A week!? A whole week, Disem!?

I will not repeat myself to you and do not call me that. I am the Flame of Life, nothing more, nothing less.

What happened to Tirek!? What about the princesses!? And how did we escape Tartarus?

Cease your annoying bombardment. I too, was forced into a comatose state along with your puny consciousness. However, judging by the fact that I can still sense the life force of every single Equestrian citizen, it is highly likely that Tirek was defeated.

The strain on my consciousness relaxed only slightly as atleast that was made clear. If I can count on Disem as a credible source, then I could be certain that everything didn't turn out too bad.. but just who in the blazes could have defeated a monster like Tirek?

And what did Disem mean by "sense every life force in equestria"? Did he always have that ability? just how were we connected?

Aagh, It seemed like I had twice the amount of questions on my mind now.. and I could only hope that Disem was in the mood to answer a few.

Im glad everyones safe but uuh.. you really do experience everything I do, huh?

Fool, it is so obvious that even an infant could easily figure it out. You and I are bound on all physical aspects. Fatigue, pain, hunger, stress, even fear to its physical extent. We share it all.

Hmm.. I see. But wait, wouldn't that mean that if I die, you'd die too?

Naturally.

Woah.. this contract seemed very troublesome on Disem's side of it. He was not only forced to experience the bad times, but had to die alongside his contractor as well. Furthermore, doesn't that make it so that none of his past contractors could possibly be alive right now?

He mentioned something about an ahuazotel or something, and from the sounds of it, that thing is still roaming free somewhere. Gaah this was all so confusing!

I'll try being a bit more direct with him.

Can I ask you a question?

It seems that you are ignoring the fact that I can clearly read your train of thought, even when you aren't directly speaking to me. How idiotic.

Ehehe.. i had my suspicions that you could. But nevermind that.. dont mind me asking, but what exactly is your purpose? Why do you bind yourself to others in order to give them power?

Watch what you ask of me, brat. That prying attitude is the only idiotic tendency of yours that I will not humor.

..Alright, sorry. But wait, you humor me?

Even a being like me is susceptible to boredom.

Wow, ya know what? I think you and I are starting to bond a little.

It is your imagination, now leave me be weakling.

This very well deserved my pout and shrug. Disem had another thing coming if he thought I was going to leave it a that. I'm pretty sure that he has read every single one of my memories even down to the more embarrassing ones. It's simply not fair that he is allowed to know everything about me while I can't know a single thing about him.

But then again.. I wasn't forced to feel his pain every time he lost a fight now, was I? Plus im pretty sure that he can hear this entire train of thought.. it is beyond awkward to realize that I could not hide a single thing from him. Not even this realization.

Atleast he doesn't call me out on every little thing. Yea, he's probably too mature to do something like that, right Disem?

"......"

Yeah, I didn't really expect an answer.

Well, whatever. I feel like I shouldn't let this impede my usual way of thinking.

Im actually more shocked that he still isn't my friend even though he is technically much closer to me than my own body. Well, when you look at it from a different perspective, atleast.

There is still alot that I am ignorant about.. and its not only about Disem, but all of Equus as well. So while I'm all bandaged like this, I think that I'll let my first Equestrian training regiment be against Twilight and some books.

"Kurama?" called a smooth and familiar voice.

A smile of surprise found itself upon my face once I turned my neck and identified the white alicorn that stood at the door. Her presence was a complete giveaway to my location, which must have undoubtedly been somewhere inside the palace. With that, another of my questions had been answered.

However, I did not expect that my first visitor would be the princess of the sun herself. It actually makes me a tiny bit uneasy.

"I'm glad you and the others are ok, Celestia," I said, which summoned a look of amusement to her muzzle.

"It is rare to be referred to without formalities by my subjects. Either you are quite daring or you have slept well this past week," she replied while trotting over to me.

"Probably both. I'm feeling a little bold now that I'm finally up and kicking, but I can stop if it bothers you," I responded.

To this, Celestia smiled and raised an eyebrow.

"If it bothers me, you say? I was not under the impression that you of all creatures would stop to consider whether your actions would bother me or not," she idly countered.

Upon hearing this, I chuckled nervously and averted my gaze. It almost slipped my mind how I threatened her and made her my prisoner for a few fateful moments..

"W-well.. you know, I'm a good guy when I really try to be, hehe.." I hesitantly replied.

"Oh? So all it takes is a small slip of effort for you to unleash your true colors?" she deliberately pressured.

I felt a drop of sweat trickle down my cheek as even more uncertainty clouded my mind. I scratched the back of my neck and raised an eyebrow. Just what was she up to, poking at me like this?

"Hehe.. I don't think my true colors are anything flashy enough to be worth hiding," I stated almost timidly.

Celestia's smile only grew as she watched me shift around, which probably detailed my increasing uncomfort. She couldn't possibly have been enjoying this could she?

"I only jest with you, Kurama," she kindly assured before taking a seat besides me. I gave her a troubled look, wondering if a princess should really sit on the ground like that.

"Hmm, how are your injuries so far?" she then asked.

"They are behaving, I guess," I answered while rubbing a finger on the hard cast over my left wrist.

"I see. Are you curious about what has transpired this past week?" She questioned further.

In response to her thoughtful concerns, I shook my head, which earned me a look of genuine surprise from the princess.

"I'm already aware that we dodged disaster this time around. In truth, my only question is who in the blazes could have defeated a power house like Tirek," I chattered.

I then witnessed as a very pleasant smile spread over Celestia's elegant muzzle. It was the most genuine smile I had ever seen on her snout.

"The heroes that defeated Tirek are none other than Twilight and her friends utilizing the Elements of Harmony," she proudly revealed to me.

I was relieved that I didn't have a beverage to spit all over Celestia's face upon hearing these jaw dropping news.

So she was trying to tell me that the ones who defeated that monster was Twilight and her bunch of hyperactive friends? ..What??

Just... what??

How in the name of freaking Sozin did those bunch manage to pull that off?? With the "Elements of Harmony"? What the blazes were the Elements of Harmony, first of all? And how would they defeat Tirek??

"I can tell by that aghast expression that you Kurama, are absolutely oblivious to the powers of friendship," softly chuckled Celestia.

Friendship..? .. what??

How was a simple matter of social interaction going to defeat a walking cyclone of disaster?

Just.. what??

I directed Celestia a skeptical look which she received kindly if her plain smile was a reason to think so. Things only seemed to be getting even more bizarre by the second. I had so many questions at this point, it wasn't even funny.

"What??" I asked while rubbing my head to aleviate the small headache I was starting to receive.

"Well, I wager that in due time you will learn for yourself just how powerful the magic of friendship truly is," idly responded the white alicorn.

Since I wasn't the idiot that she was probably implying I was, I managed to somehow comprehend that the message she was trying to convey was the importance of friendship.

I don't know how, but it seemed that Twilight and her gang prevailed thanks to their close bonds.. or something like that. Either way, the truth of the matter is that they won.. and I lost.

.. wow.

This is one of those realizations that cut really deep into you. I'm sure that those bunch were not even close to being refined warriors, yet they took down Tirek.. now, I wasn't going to start self-loathing again, I've had enough of that, but I really need to get it together. I can't let a bunch of ponies show me up.

No offense to them though. They... they're alright.

"If you say so," was my answer to the white alicorn after the small delay.

A few moments of pleasant silence ensued before I decided to bring up another matter. A matter that I was never able to get used to no matter how hard I tried.

"By the way.. I don't mean to jump in way over my head, but is it alright if you just.. ehmm, you know.. didn't regard me as a subject, perhaps?" I hesitated to ask.

To this, Celestia slightly jerked in surprise and shot me a quizzical look. I tried to nervously grin in response, but it did not serve to actually change much.

"That is quite the odd request which you ask of me, Kurama. How do you prefer I treat you if not the way I would all my dear subjects?" questioned the confused princess besides me.

"Well, how about an iron-hoofed general to her mindless soldier?" I half-jokingly suggested.

"Im afraid that would be too rigorous the ordeal for us both," she jokingly dismissed.

"Well, I don't see any other way that wouldn't seem like I was trying to get special treatment. Plus, Im probably not in a position to have a mutual friendship with you either.. im just a freeloader, afterall," I hesitantly admitted.

"A freeloader that has come terribly close to flat-lining several times this past week," corrected Celestia. I did not get the joke, but I'm guessing it had to do with the severe beating I took from Tirek.

I forced my laughter at that one. I don't know if she noticed how touchy I was on the matter.. no, actually im sure she knew exactly how I felt about it.

Maybe she was still a little angry about the whole villainous scheme..

"Geez, I didn't know a sun goddess could hold a grudge. I guess even you aren't perfect, huh?" I sighed. Celestia then directed me a slight smile as my statement sunk in.

"Unfortunately, that is a common misconception among my subjects.. but then again you refuse to be regarded as a subject, so maybe that is why it did not apply to you?" she teased.

Boy was she in a good mood today or what? She was totally treating me like one of her beloved ponies, wasn't she? And not only that but she was doing it intentionally too.

I deadpanned at her, which was apparently humorous enough to make her giggle into her elegant hoof.

"Atleast unlike any regular subject, you catch on quickly to a little teasing," she finished. She may as well have just admitted to all her crimes right there and then.

"Truth be told, Kurama. I may be the long time ruler of this kingdom, but I actually hold no restrictions when it comes to my friendships. In fact, I would eagerly jump at the chance to befriend every single one of my subjects if they simply consented to it. But alas, not many possess the backbone to trot up to a princess and strike up a simple conversation," regrettably admitted Celestia.

Once again, it struck me by surprise how differently Celestia ruled compared to the Fire Lord. She was caring and benevolent to her subjects, her authority was practically spiked with love. The Fire Lord however, rules with an iron fist that tolerates zero compromise to his desires. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sure which I preferred.

"I see.." I began. I'm sure this would probably get me quite a bit of sass from her more "dedicated" subjects, but I guess ill give it a try. I'd rather be her friend than her subject, im just not good with motherly figures.

".. it'd be nice if we could be friends, then. Well.. if a hot blooded idiot like me is still up your ally," I kindly suggested.

To this, Celestias expression was lit with pleasant joy. So far, this seemed to have been the correct desicion.. for now. I mean.. just think about the reactions from Diamond Plate and the other nobles when they find out.

"To me, a 'hot blooded idiot' makes for a much more interesting friend, Kurama," she teased.

"Glad to hear it," I muttered in unamusement while extending both my arms out for the white alicorn. She seemed to have been impressed by my bravery before inching closer to me. Then, with a single motion, we warmly embraced.

Her spotless fur and delicate body heat was comfortably snugged against my bandaged body. Her mystical hair gently brushed against my cheek and the lovely aroma of cotton candy reached my nostrils. My arms wrapped around her winged back with special care, my fingers dancing in the soft sensation of her pure white feathers.

Her front hooves rested softly on my shoulders which allowed her to embrace me back in her own alicorn way.

And there we stood for a prolonged moment before delicately releasing each other. But strangely enough.. it was as if her warmth still remained on my body. A new warmth also arose from my chest... maybe this was what it felt like to befriend someone like Celestia. Whatever the case, it was a pleasant feeling.

"Celestia.. sorry if this seems a little random. But why haven't you ever asked me about my origins and why I came here?" I questioned her.

I watched as she took to a slightly more serious nature and contemplated the question before answering.

"About that.. I was originally intending to do so. However, Luna suggested that I did not for she had learned that you did not have the best of pasts. She also seemed confused regarding your circumstances, so I figured that it was too complicated for me to ask," she truthfully responded.

For them to show that amount of consideration for me was nice, quite touching even. But I didn't need the consideration, memories are just memories. They are not the actual event, just the proof that it once happened.. I actually had no problem with simply explaining myself a little.

"Actually I would be more than happy to tell you everything that has happened up until now," I claimed. Celestia perked up at my comment, it seemed like this caught her interests.

"Are you certain, Kurama?" She checked while studying my face.

I waved my hand in a dismissive manner and nodded.

"I think it'll be a great change of pace as long as you tell me a bit about yourself as well," I proposed which caught her off guard.

"About.. myself?" she clarified.

"Yeah, it would only be fair, right?"

Celestia slowly nodded in agreement after a brief moment of thinking.

"Ok, then I'll go first.. I lived in a land called..." I began.


..thats when the contract healed my wounds and Disem fused with me. To be honest, the Hydra's rampage was sort of of my fault. It was enraged because I took Disem before it could, but I'm glad it didn't end up hurting anyone. Anyways, that's about everything you didn't already know about me," I finally finished.

Silence began to fill the room as Celestia solemnly shut her eyes.

"Kurama.. you have told me not to pity you, so I will try my hardest to oblige by that. But, to be slayed by your own family.." she began while reopening her eyes in a lamenting manner.

".. only twice in the last millennium have I ever fathomed such evil. Please, allow me to spare you just a small bit of my sympathy," she requested.

I locked eyes with her for a few moments before exhaling in defeat.

"If you must.." I answered.

I then looked up at the ceiling as silence once again began to ensue. It was a little awkward for me but its not like I was some extremely hardened war veteran or something. It didn't make me any less of a man to let somebody feel a little sorry for me.

Once the gloomy silence had extended long enough, I once again directed my attention to the white alicorn besides me.

"By the way, is it really alright for the co-ruler of Equestria to be slacking off this long?" I jested. Celestia perked up from her slightly slumped position in realization.

"Ah..! My dear little sister must be drowned in paper work by now! Forgive me Kurama, but I must not dump my responsibilities on her any longer. However, I do promise that we will continue our chat as soon as my duties clear up" she stressed while lifting her hind quarters off the ground.

"Thought so," I whispered to myself in disappointment as my shoulders slumped over. Alot had happened between us, but I was truly growing to enjoy her company.

"In the mean time, do not do anything that would cause trouble for the nurses," she reprobated as if it was going to be self fulfilling prophecy. I could only ogle at her back in irritation as she was already on her way out.

Did she think I was her infant child or something?

Soon, Celestia reached the door but before she stepped out, she halted and slightly turned her head to the side.

"And about Luna.." she brought up.

I frowned and gazed downwards knowing full well where this was going. I was truly an idiot... but a man of an idiot nonetheless. I needed to set things right with her too.

"I know.." I began.

"I'll be waiting for her in my dreams tonight.. and I'll make sure to apologize properly for my rash actions," I lamented.

Celestia nodded in acknowledgement before proceeding to step out of the room. She closed the door behind her and left me to myself, which wasn't too bad. I could always meditate as well as think of a way to apologize to Luna.

Afterwards, I could finally learn about this world and how exactly I was gonna get strong enough to compete with some of its monstrous inhabitants. But if there was a bright side to this, it is that I was feeling a strange motivation towards this new ambition of mine.

It was strange because.. I never thought that motivation could bring such peace to your consciousness. When I think about enduring painful and arduous training, I do not shudder or hesitate like I did before. I was actually eager to do this.. and that seemed to put my heart at an unexpected peace.

Hmm, yes.

Maybe I'll skip the meditation and eat some food, technically I haven't eaten in weeks. Plus, I feel that meditating at this current state of mind would undoubtedly bring "trouble" to the nurses.

"I'd best save it till I am fully healed," I mumbled to myself, a slightly triumphant smirk inevitably occupying my face as I clenched my palm.

"Seperating yin and yang takes physical effort after all,"

Author's Note:

Here it is, hope you guys enjoyed it. Also this is the point where I'll start incorporating timeskips into the story, but I'll try not to get carried away with them. Theres also a new story I wrote, its a oneshot random comedy and if you guys want to kill a few brain cells give it a quick peek. Lastly, comment down and tell me if you enjoyed this chapter. Have a good one guys and see you next chapter! :pinkiesmile: