• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 8,156 Views, 206 Comments

Strangely Resilient Ember - DeliriousCrimson



Kurama, a young firebender of the proud fire nation. He had lived quite the normal life.. up until he was ritually sacrificed in secret on his birthday. In his final moments, he cursed the world. But little did he know that he'd soon enter a new one.

  • ...
29
 206
 8,156

Adjusting

With a hint of uncertainty at the edge of my mind, I opened my eyes.

Lazily, I sat up on the grand bed which my body had the pleasure of resting on. Before long, my eyes subtly wandered around the room, a sigh of relief then being released once I determined it to be devoid of any cell-like properties.

I promptly pinched my wrist, the mild stinging pain serving to assure me of my genuine awakening. I rubbed my chin and recalled the moments that transpired in my slumber.

That was arguably one of the most lucid dreams I may have ever experienced. I wasn't certain if it was because of Luna's dream-jumping powers or simply due to the gravity of the nightmare beforehand.

Wait, how could I be sure that it wasn't just me dreaming of Luna..? The thought of her being able to jump into my dreams is pretty crazy..

It certainly was a possibility. As a matter of fact, I didn't know why I hadn't considered that being the case instead of just instantly going along with it. Maybe I couldn't question it precisely because it was just a dream?

No, brat. She did indeed, leap into your dream.

With a straight face, I nonchalantly blinked at the unexpected and masculine voice that replied to my self-aimed question.

D-did you just talk to me of your own accord!?

He did, didn't he? Maybe Disem had finally opened up to me, maybe this was the start of a beautiful friendship between boy and inanimate voice, maybe we were finally embarking on the long road which was intimacy-

Do not misunderstand. I am simply trying to inform you that it was an extremely uncomfortable experience for me. Therefore, until I am rid of you, I will insist that you ask her to refrain from inhabiting your dreams, fool.

Aaaand, there it was.

Aww and here I thought that you were finally opening up to me, Disem. It hurts when im the only one giving and youre the only one receiving~.

A few seconds of eerie silence went by as my mental statement sunk in. After a small while, a surprisingly heavy chill ran down my spine.

Woah, what was that!?

I am trying to figure out how the human nerve system works.

W-.. why...?

To kill you.

Another chill rushed down my spine. I didn't know much about the way we were bound, but he couldn't do that right? If he could he would have done so long ago... RIGHT??

H-hey man, lets not try anything crazy ok?

Silence. I have had enough of your tasteless sarcasm and foolishness. I will surpass my own limitations this instant and succeed in directly killing you myself.

His own limitations? That probably meant that he couldn't kill me, although it seemed like he was trying to find a way to do so. Geez, just what did I do to anger him so much, cant he take a little teasing? tsk, tsk, tsk.

Sigh, I wasnt being sarcastic... but I think itll be in my best interest to just let you cool off.

It would be in MY best interest if you were to leap to your death right this instant. The window is right over there.

I knew that he could be sensitive at times, but now he was getting a bit out of hand. Welp, he'll have to open up to me sooner or later, we sort of did have to spend a lifetime together and all.

With that set on the table, I got up from the oversized bed and took the time to admire my room. The walls were painted an appealing shade of yellow, an exotic array of pink curtains also dangling from the window side.

The room had some cabinets, a door labeled as "Bathroom", and another door which must have been a wardrobe or something. Other than that, it was mostly empty space.

I smiled and headed towards the bathroom. I favored the idea of a nice relaxing shower, plus it wouldn't hurt to brush my teeth if that option was also available to me.

I opened the door and entered into the equally spacey bathroom. The walls were tiled and stainless, a mirror, sink, and bath tub also inhabiting it. I paced over to the sink and noticed the drawer which was wedged below it.

"Hmmm."

I opened it and surveyed its contents, neatly stacked inside of it was some sort of glowing fuzzy fabric. I took one and examined it, the other side seeming to have had sticky properties.

I decided to stick the rectangular piece onto my arm. When I did so, the fabric perfectly mimicked my skin complexion, making the area I splayed it on seem like a furry spot of tan fur.

I admired its color-shifting properties for a few moments before removing it from my arm. Whatever it was, it was meant for ponies. Thus, I probably shouldn't mettle with it.

I placed it back into the drawer and kept searching. After making a mess of the stacked fabrics, I found a small and elastic container along with a toothbrush.

I squeezed the container, a pink pasty substance then emitting from the uncapped top. I sniffed the substance, its smell being that of bubblegum.

"It... seems normal enough."

I sniffed it again to make sure it wasn't some sort of trick, this world did have a strange habit of royally screwing me from time to time.

I carefully squeezed some onto the toothbrush and hesitantly began to brush my teeth. To my relief, it tasted just as it smelled.

I then began to brush with more diligence and speed as I pondered over my plans for the day.

The palace has a lot of guards, which means there must be a place where they are all trained. That would be as good a spot as any to catch up on my training. Well, if im allowed to share their workout space that is. But in case I am.. hmm, maybe id go with muscle-strengthening and flame-manipulation exercises? Oh, and I really need to catch up on breathing and meditation.

I turned the faucet on and cupped up a handful of the water which proceeded to spew out. I sipped it into my mouth and made sure to wash thoroughly before spitting.

I then walked over to the tub and turned its faucet on as well. After adjusting the temperature, I undressed and entered the accumulating pool of water. I let out a hearty, relaxed sigh as it began to slowly submerge a good portion of my body.

I glanced around and located a bar of soap, the bar being safely within reach. I then dipped it in the water, a burst of vanilla-like odor exploding forth when I did so. After a long suspenseful showering scene that would be weird if I went into detail about, I stood up and left the bath tub.

I couldn't find a towel, so I just used some of the color-shifting fabric to dry myself off. I seriously wondered just what purpose they actually served.

"Maybe they were for covering bald spots on ponies?", I asked to apparently nobody as I threw it aside.

I dressed myself and headed out of the bathroom, which in turn led me back into the bedroom. I approached the chambers exit and opened it, my intent being to explore the palace.

Directly across from the door stood a guard, his unexpected presence making me jump a little. Once I regained a bit of composure, I eyed him questionably before being tempted to ask.

"May.. I help you?"

his neutral expression remained unchanged as he firmly answered.

"I was assigned to be your escort until you can fare by yourself, sir!"

Escort or observer? Pfft, im not sure how gullible ponies are, but I sure wasn't buyin it Ms. Sunbutt.

"Hm, that so? Well then could you take me to the training room?", I replied.

The guard raised an eyebrow at my request, his expression shifting into something other than neutrality.

"What? Do I not look like a warrior?", I asked teasingly as I proceeded to flex like a bodybuilder in a photo shoot.

He reacted with the plain old, typically confused look. Boooring, these darned things had absolutely no sense of humor.

I sighed and ceased my smexy flexing of instant female-magnetism.

"Just take me there.", I huffed in annoyance.

"Forgive me..but im not sure if I am allowed to take you there.", he replied.

Not sure how I didn't see that one coming.

But whatever, im sure the training room was a very sacred place where not just any visitor could be granted instant access to. I should be glad that atleast the rest of the castle was available to me.

"Name some places where you CAN take me.", I tested.

The guard didn't seem like he had much to ponder about as he answered almost immediately.

"Well.. the throne room and the dining hall, sir.", he replied.

"......"

Thats it? This absurdly huge palace... AND THAT WAS IT!?

"W-well then..! How about you escort to me to the throne room?", I asked with the mildest tone I could currently muster.

He nodded in acceptance to my request and began to lead the way. We went up a familiar set of steps and quickly encountered a set of double doors.

I rolled my eyes as I realized how close my chambers were from the throne room. Did she expect me to be some sort of wild animal that could go off at any moment?

The guard opened the doors, revealing Sunbutt and Luna who seemed like they were about to leave somewhere. They both glanced towards me as I approached, Luna beginning to smile and wave.

"Good morn to you Kurama!", she greeted.

"Mornin Luna!", I greeted in return.

"Have you enjoyed your stay thus far?", she asked

I grinned and nodded before directing my attention towards Celestia.

"Im here to ask you permission. Can I go to the royal guards training room?", I requested, cutting straight to the chase.

My question didn't faze the blank expression on her muzzle one bit. Im sure that she'd use her way with words to come up with an excuse to say no. After all, it would probably be a disadvantage if information about my behavior didn't reach her immediately. I once again rolled my eyes and began to speak before she could say no.

"My power is called fire bending, It can easily be weakened if you simply lower the sun. It is different from magic, Its actually more of a martial art, but the fire spewing part is powered by the intensity of my emotions, solar rays, and a few other things. When the suns down, the potency of my flames is practically halved, so you could easily defeat me.", I boringly explained.

While Luna simply looked puzzled at my unexplained outburst, Celestia seemed more shocked at my sudden explanation than surprised. She contemplated what I said but seemed reluctant to give me an answer. I gave her the brief explanation but it should have still made a little sense. I sighed and continued.

"If you have doubts, then order your guards to attack me if I exhibit behavior that they deem suspicious."

Celestia's mouth opened slightly as she took notice of my perception. I shrugged towards her with a small, but smug smirk on my face. I wasn't like any of the annoying pastel-colored ponies that she dealt with on a regular basis.

"Kurama, I am unsure as to what you two are conversing about.", added Luna.

Celestia's neutral eyes slightly widened at her statement. It was evident that this side of her was one that she wasn't proud of, so Im sure that she would never want Luna to take notice of it.

Hmm, while id love to put her on the spot... Its not like her intentions are bad. Shes just looking out for her beloved kingdom right?

I smiled and turned to Luna.

"Your sister was curious about my ability and asked me about it last night. I was very tired, so I promised to explain it to her the following morning before you guys left to... wherever it is youre going.", I responded.

"I see, it is the power which you used to smite the hydra, correct?", clarified Luna.

I nodded and glanced towards Celestia, loving the slightly dumbfounded look she had on her face. It also irked me just a little, I know im different like she said, but she really didn't have to be that surprised by my act of good will.

I turned around and headed back towards the set of double doors. I was never the type to pressure a women into doing what i wanted.

"On second thought, I can see youre both very busy. So ill just hang out in my chambers until you two come back.", I said as I motioned my escort and observer to lead the way. On my way out, I turned and gave Celestia a warm smile.

She really had no idea what to make of me, did she? The look on her face was priceless.

I waved goodbye to Luna and shut the pair of doors. The guard then escorted me back down the stairs and towards my room. I entered it and shut the door behind me, leaving the creepy guard outside to himself.

"Well, to the least I can meditate here in this spacey room.", I muttered to myself.

I crossed my legs and sat down a few solid feet away from my bed, my eyes closing in the process.

I summoned small fires onto both of my palms, my arms then extending to either side of me. With deep breaths and a calm mind, I began my meditation.

What is this dreadfully peaceful feeling!? Stop, stop it at once!

My eyes shot open as a massive frown spread across my face.

Im trying to meditate here, just keep to yourself as you have been doing for the past day.

Silence! It feels beyond disturbing when you clear your mind in that manner!

Hey man.. im just relaxing my mind of any thoughts or worries. Pretty much what meditations all about.

Whatever this "meditation" is, never do it again. Your puny little mind is already transparent and ambitionless enough without your sickening meditation technique.

I was having a bit of trouble coming to terms with the fact that this was now happening. This jerk wanted to take away my precious meditation? Heh, like I'd let that happen.

So, youre just not comfortable with your host having peace of mind? I don't know what sort of evil bad guys you've had in the past, but sadly youre dealing with me now. Besides, experiencing new things is awesome, just give it a try.

Quiet! I fail to see the reason as to why anything would need such disgusting calm engraved into their minds! Your peace stains my honor, me who serves to destroy! Why was I cursed with a pacifist fool such as you!?

I tried my hardest to not let anger consume me as he bantered on. Also, for a being that has existed for hundreds of thousands of years, he just said quite the ignorant thing. I guess ill enlighten him just a bit.

Peace can sometimes be one of the most deadly forces. An old man on my sixteenth birthday taught me that.

Then it seems that ALL humans are as foolish as you! Pathetic!

Gah just hear me out! Look, im working on peace of mind PRECISELY because I want to fight. That man showed me something ive never seen before! He was a firebender, yet he somehow bended lightning! He explained the entire concept to me, but the first step is peace of mind. Now do you see? Im doing this because I want power!

I have never heard of destruction obtained by foolish peace! Nor do I care for your ability and its secrets!

But you DO care about getting rid of me right? Mastering the art of lightning has a fatality rate of around sixty percent. Which means you may get rid of me if you just let me practice.

Oh?.. heh! I am glad that you are foolish enough to risk your own life to master a petty technique. Very well! On my honor as the Flame of Life, I will no longer interfere with your pathetic little training!

Id risk my life for it because its my ambition, a small one, but ambition nonetheless!... oh and btw, just to let you know, ive been meditating every single day since my sixteenth birthday but ive yet to make an ounce of progress...

WHAT!?

Too late to take it back now! Its on your honor remember?

GRR YOU BRAT!!

Haha, don't worry ill make progress eventually! Could be today, tomorrow, or 10 years from now but itll happen. And I wont stop meditating until it does!

URGH!! DANM YOU!!

Your fault for jumping at the chance to get rid of me so quickly. Sigh, and I really want to be your friend too.

Silence!!! You and I will NEVER be friends!!

Yeah, yeah.

I swear, sometimes he gets me so fed up. Ill just leave him alone to quietly throw his little fit by himself. The bottom line is, I need to meditate, and now he cant do a thing about it.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes shut. I lit a small fire on each of my palms and extended them to my sides. Then, I slowly cleared my mind of thought and began my meditation for the second time.

Regrettably, this time too, was cut short by a lightweight object that landed on my head.

My eyes roared open as my concentration was once again interrupted. Anger began to swell at the edge of my mind while I tightly clenched my fist.

I held back the urge to simply incinerate whatever it was that landed on my head as I grabbed it. I then moved it into my line of sight, the object being a rolled up letter with a bright red seal.

My irritation shifted to curiosity as looked up towards an empty ceiling, then around the room. There was a slight smell of bad breath, but other than that, nothing.

I eyed the letter suspiciously and began to open it. Once I did so, I inched it closer to my face and began reading.

Dear Kurama,
I regret to inform you that the girls and I will not
be able to make it today. We have urgent business over
at the crystal empire and as a princess, I am required to
play my part as well... although it seems to only amount
to just smiling and waving. Im not sure of my purpose as
a princess when all I ever do is smile and wave. Its just so
frustrating!.. Sorry, as I was saying... or writing, we will attempt
to visit you as soon as we can. But for now, please excuse us
and be safe.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle

"Hmm so Twilight was the one that somehow sent me this? These ponies have some seriously obscure mailing systems.."

Her letter was filled with questionable information, such as "Crystal empire" and something about her princess duties.

Wait, Twilight was a princess!? What the heck, are all freaking alicorns princesses or something!?

Mixed emotions entered my mind at the thought of twilight being a princess. She seemed to be the most tolerant of all the ponies ive met so far, but she was a princess all along?

She totally gave off the "Average scholar" sort of impression. Wait, since she was a princess, did that mean that she ruled land as well? The letter DID mention something about the "Crystal empire".

I scratched my head and pondered over it for a while. Then, I simply decided to push the questions away and toss the letter aside. I could just ask her all I wanted when she was free to come and visit.

I assumed my meditating pose for the third, and hopefully final time. There was a strangely eerie feeling I felt, as if the letter was some sort of bad omen, but I pushed that away as well.

I relaxed and cleared my mind, my meditation finally being met with no setbacks.

Author's Note:

Heres chapter 7! Hope you enjoyed it even if it was a tad bit uneventful this time around. Also, would anyone volunteer to be my proofreader? Ive got lots of plans for this story that may be a bit too difficult for a beginner to tackle alone. But even if no one can help ill still power through it for those that are enjoying it! Anyways, like, comment, open your window and breathe some fresh air, then clop to rainbow factory! Next chapters already being worked on.