• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 4,997 Views, 139 Comments

An Inkling Of Friendship - Green Akers



Tired of constant conflict with the Octarians over a shrinking continent, the Inklings go searching for a new land to colonize. They find Equestria instead.

  • ...
6
 139
 4,997

Hairless Bears?

"Rainbow Dash!!!"

Rainbow Dash slowly raised her head up from the cloud she had been sleeping on, and looked over at the gray stallion that was racing towards her. "You'd better have a good reason for disturbing my nap, Thunderlane," she grumbled. "What are you doing here, anyway? Weren't you going to visit your cousin in Los Pegasus today?"

"That's just it!" Thunderlane explained. "I was flying over the Whitetail Woods, minding my own business, when suddenly, whoosh!" Thunderlane swung a front hoof to simulate the action. "This thing comes out of the sky and whizzes by my head at a zillion miles an hour!"

"So?" Rainbow replied uncaringly. "As slow as you fly, everything goes by you at a zillion miles an hour."

"I'm serious, Rainbow!" Thunderlane insisted. "Anyway, I watch this thing fall into the forest, and then boom!" Thunderlane pounded his hooves together. "A huge explosion flings me about five hundred hooves through the air!"

"An explosion?" Rainbow rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Was anypony hurt?"

"I don't know," Thunderlane admitted. "I was lucky—a big mudhole broke my fall. But that's not the strangest part! When I finally got back in the air and took a look around, I didn't see any ponies or animals, but the place where the thingy hit was completely covered in this weird orange gooey stuff!"

"Orange goo?" Rainbow arched at eyebrow at Thunderlane. "And you're sure this happened, and you didn't just hit your head and imagine it?"

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" Thunderlane swore.

Rainbow Dash sighed, stood up, and stretched. "All right, Thunderlane. Tell me where this happened, and I'll go grab Twilight and take a look."

"It's due southwest of here!" Thunderlane said. "Believe me, you can't miss it—it carved a fifty-hoof circle out of the forest!"

"Got it." Rainbow bid Thunderlane farewell, leaped off of her cloud, and made a beeline for Twilight's castle. "I swear, if Discord is going around dropping orange goo bombs on ponies, I will coat him in cement and turn him back into a statue the hard way," she muttered.

Rainbow was at Twilight's front door within minutes, and weaved her way through the palace until she found Twilight and Spike poring over a set of old-looking scrolls. "Hey, Twilight, got a minute?" she asked.

"Sure, Rainbow!" Twilight put her quill down. "What is it?"

"Thunderlane says there was a big gooey explosion over in the Whitetail Woods," Rainbow explained. "It sounded like some sort of magic was involved, so I—"

"An explosion?" Twilight's eyes widened. "That sounds—wait, did you say gooey?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Rainbow said. "I don't know if Discord is doing something weird or what, but would you mind going down there with me to see what happened?"

"Of course!" Twilight floated the reminder of her scrolls up onto a shelf with her magic. "Spike, grab some parchment and an extra quill—we're heading to the Whitetail Woods!"

"You got it!" Spike grabbed the requested supplies and hopped on Twilight's back, and the trio took a shortcut out of the castle via an open window and began their flight to the forest.


Reaching the woods was a brief half-hour via the air, but locating the sight of the explosion was harder than expected. "I don't see any orange goo around here," Rainbow said as she scanned the area. "Everything looks pretty green to me. That idiot Thunderlane must have been—"

"What about that opening over there?" Spike pointed to a small circular clearing off to the group's left. "I don't remember there being an opening there when Pinkie and I called the last Running of the Leaves."

Rainbow eyed the area suspiciously. "Now that you mention it, neither do I. We'd better check it out."

The trio swooped down and landed in the center of the clearing. "Holy cloud!" Spike exclaimed as he hopped down and surveyed the downed trees, broken branches, and flattened bushes. "It looks like a tornado came through here!"

"But a tornado would have cut a path through the forest, not just leave a little thing like this," Rainbow countered. "Besides, we haven't had a storm scheduled here for two weeks. The conditions just aren't right for tornadoes!"

"Look at this." Twilight gestured to the flattened shrubbery around them. "All the grass is bent towards the outside of the clearing. This means that something gave off a strong force in all directions from where we're standing, which is consistent with Thunderlane's story."

"Maybe, but I still don't see any orange goo around here," Rainbow replied.

"I wonder..." Twilight scratched her chin for a moment, and then reached down and lifted some of the flattened grass with her hoof, revealing some small traces of orange ink on the ground. "Aha!" she declared. "There was orange goo here, but either it was cleaned up, or just disappeared."

"Whoa!" Spike's eyes widened as he watched the ink puddles shrink and vanish. "I guess that answers that question."

"Let me see that extra quill for a second." Twilight took the quill from Spike, lifted up another clump of grass with her hoof, and stuck the tip of the quill into the revealed ink. "It looks like some sort of... Well, ink, I guess," she said as she examined the quill.

"Maybe it's disappearing ink," Spike suggested. "You know, like the stuff Pinkie always uses."

Twilight sighed. "Whatever it is, it won't last long enough for me to do a proper analysis of it." She turned to Rainbow Dash. "Well, we know the what and the how," she said. "The next question is, who would drop an ink bomb in the middle of the forest?"

"I have no idea," Rainbow Dash admitted, "but I'll bet we know somepony that does."

"Right," Twilight agreed. "Fluttershy knows everything about every creature in this forest. Maybe she can shed some light on this mystery."

Spike hopped back up on Twilight, and the trio set off for Fluttershy's cottage, hoping the yellow mare could answer their questions.


After another two hours of following railroad tracks, fatigue was beginning to take its toll on the Inklings. Tommy was a stiff breeze away from falling over, Craig was rolling at half his usual speed, and even Danielle was starting to wear out. "Maybe... We should... Take a quick breather," Danielle wheezed.

"We just took a break fifteen minutes ago!" Brianna, who hadn't even broken a sweat yet, folded her arms and gazed disappointingly at her colleagues. "Lightweights, the whole lot of you. No wonder I'm always covering your butt in Turf Wars."

"Hey, I am fully capable of covering my own—wait!" Danielle held up her hand to signal for the others to stop. "We're coming to the edge of the forest."

The four Inklings scurried over to a clump of trees positioned at the very edge of the forest. "Oh wow!" Tommy exclaimed. "Look at that!"

The Inklings gazed in awe at the sight of a large wooden building with a straw roof and a huge porch-like platform that bordered the tracks. The platform was packed with an assortment of four-legged creatures with long faces and large eyes, with each creature sporting a unique coat color and hair style. "What are those things?" Danielle asked.

"I don't know, but they're the weirdest looking things I've ever seen," Brianna commented.

Tommy picked up his rifle and used his scope to examine the creatures more closely. "Incredible!" he gushed. "From what I can see, there are three distinct varieties of these creatures: Some have four leg-like tentacles plus some sort of tail, some appear to have an extra tentacle on their foreheads, and some even—whoa!" His jaw dropped as he watched one of the creatures fly up into the air. "Some even have wings like a bird!"

"Hey, little dude. What's the good word?" Danielle, Brianna, and Tommy turned to see Craig talking to a blue bird that had landed on his headphones.

"Speaking of birdbrains..." Brianna walked over to Craig and waved her hands in front of his face. "Hey, Craig! Get your head in the game!"

"Shhh." Craig brought a finger to his lips. "I'm trying to feel this cat's vibe."

"It's a bird, not a cat." Brianna smacked her face with her hand, and then pointed at a nearby tree in which twenty other birds had gathered. "And where did all those come from? Are you feeding the stupid things?"

"Hey, if he's giving them the seaweed jerky, I'm totally okay with—" Danielle was interrupted by the sound of an approaching train. "Quick, everybody hide!"

The Inklings retreated deeper into the forest, and watched closely as the train sped by them and pulled up at the station. "Well, I guess we know who uses these tracks now, huh?" Danielle said.

"This is fascinating!" Tommy said as he watched the creatures board the train. "They all seem to have suitcases similar to the kind we use, but they don't seem to be able to carry them with their tentacles. Some are using their mouths, some are using their wings, and—what, was is that?" He lowered his gun, wiped his glasses, rubbed his eyes, and looked again. "Some of the cases appear to be... Floating in mid-air?" He stared for a moment in disbelief. "Do they have hovering technology built into their luggage?"

"I'm more interested in how they built that train," Danielle replied. "How do you put that together when you're using all your legs just to stand?"

Brianna rolled her eyes. "They don't look so tough," she declared. "I bet we could just walk in and take over right now."

"But there are, like, fifty of them on that train alone," Danielle pointed out. "They've got this place pretty well inhabited, if you ask me. We need to learn more about these things before we can think about moving in."

"I agree," Tommy said. "I mean, look at all those buildings!" He pointed to a cluster of houses a short distance from the train station. "This is arguably the most advanced society Inklings have ever come into contact with! We could be on the verge of a huge scientific breakthrough!"

"We're also on the verge of getting chewed out by Sergeant Sour-dine," Brianna grumbled. "We're here for real estate, not science!"

"We'll get to that," Danielle assured her friend. "Right now, we need to figure out the best plan of attack." She pointed to where the forest continued just north of the station. "Let's keep following the treeline, and see what else we can see."

Brianna sighed as the others grabbed their gear and began moving north. "Fine. But I still think we could beat these things right now."


"Hey Fluttershy, are you there?" Rainbow Dash asked as she knocked on the yellow mare's door. "We need to talk to you."

The door opened, but it was Angel Bunny standing behind it instead of Fluttershy. The bunny gazed unsmilingly at the trio, and pointed a paw over his shoulder to indicate Fluttershy was inside. "Uh... Thanks, Angel," Rainbow said as she stepped inside.

"Oh, Rainbow! Thank goodness you're here!" Fluttershy called out from the kitchen. "Could you give me a hoof with something?"

The two ponies and dragon walked into Fluttershy's kitchen, finding her scouring her cupboards and throwing every sort of food imaginable into two large picnic baskets sitting on the table. "Actually, we need a hoof from you," Twilight said. "We just saw something strange in the woods, and were wondering if you could help us figure out who is responsible."

"Something blasted a big hole in the forest!" Spike explained. "And they did it with this strange orange inky stuff!"

"Orange ink?" Fluttershy gave her friends a confused look.

"Yes, or something similar," Twilight said. "Do you know of any creatures who can use a substance like that?"

"Well..." Fluttershy pondered the question for a moment. "I don't. I'm sorry."

Rainbow arched an eyebrow at the picnic baskets. "What are these for?" she asked.

"Oh, I was making these as a welcome gift to the hairless bears that just arrived!" Fluttershy replied.

Rainbow Dash and Twilight exchanged confused glances. "Hairless bears?" Twilight repeated.

Fluttershy nodded, and pointed to a bird house mounted on the ceiling. "Miss Jay just told me that she saw a group of hairless bears in the forest coming towards Ponyville, and since nopony has ever seen them before, I thought they must be new here, and I wanted to make them a picnic basket to welcome them to Ponyville!"

"You're making a welcome basket for a bunch of bears?" Rainbow rolled her eyes. "You've been hanging out with Pinkie Pie too long."

"Hold on a minute, Rainbow," Twilight interrupted. "Fluttershy, these hairless bears Miss Jay talked about—did she mention anything else strange about them? Like, were they orange?"

Before Fluttershy could respond, a large blue jay popped out of the birdhouse above the ponies and began squawking at Twilight. Twilight didn't understand a word the bird said, of course, but Fluttershy was able to translate. "Miss Jay says that the tops of their heads were orange, and they wore large orange backpacks!"

Rainbow gave Twilight a knowing nod. "I think we've found who we're looking for."

"We'd better track them down before they cause any trouble in town," Twilight said. "Miss Jay, do you have any idea where these creatures are now?"

Miss Jay responded with a brief song. "She says they were heading north, towards Sweet Apple Acres," Fluttershy said.

"Oh boy." Rainbow smacked her face with her hoof. "We're better get over there fast. Applejack will blow a fuse if anypony messes with her trees."

"Wait!" Fluttershy reached back into her cupboard for one last armful of goodies, and dumped them into the baskets. "Could you help me carry these over to the orchard? After all, those bears might be hungry, and feeding guests is the friendly thing to do."

"You better do it, Twi," Rainbow suggested. "I haven't decided if I want to be friendly to these things or not."

"Fine, but you have to carry Spike." Twilight took one of the basket handles in her mouth, and the foursome headed for the door and Sweet Apple Acres, all the while not entirely sure what they would find.