• Published 26th Sep 2015
  • 9,509 Views, 165 Comments

Can You Find it in Your Heart? - Ravenmane



As broken as he is. As unforgivable as he acted. Could anyone find it in their heart to care for a tyrant such as King Sombra?

  • ...
15
 165
 9,509

8 - Back in the Spa...

“Did I hear that right out there,” asked a cyan pegasus as she set her magazine down. “King Sombra’s in town?” Not once did she waver from batting away anypony wanting to tend to her.

“That certainly didn’t sound like him,” replied a small purple dragon with cucumber slices over his eyes.

“Do either of you plan to do anything premature,” harped a lavender alicorn before trying to relax and enjoy her massage.

“Well, no it’s just,” the pegasus scoffed, “look, even you have to admit it’s sketchy Twi. I mean, Discord is one thing, but we also had that time when Chrysalis captured Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo and that time when we had to deal with an evil, supercharged Rarity. I just think it’s too convenient for some other evil creature to come into Ponyville as easily as anypony else.”

“Well, what should we do then? I mean he sounds like he can be reasoned with–”

“And what, ask him to leave? Twilight, I think you’ve got a screw loose or something. The guy enslaved an entire nation; you don’t just do that for kicks if you’ve got a level head.”

“I just think we don’t have the whole story. For all we know he did have a reason.”

The young dragon groaned. “He’s evil Twi, why would you care if he has some sort of tragic backstory? I mean, he might just make one up to get somepony to sympathize with him.”

Twilight shot him a glare. “So we should just run him out of town, is that what you’re saying Spike? One thousand years is a long time, what if he was aware of it?”

“About that, what happened a thousand years ago to cause all this stuff to happen? I mean there’s Nightmare Moon and Sombra, something big had to happen right?”

“Well we could ask him. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather ask Princess Celestia or Princess Luna but I doubt they’d answer without wondering why we were curious. Also, I share your concerns but this is more of an opportunity to learn than a complication. If worse comes to worse we can just send a message to Princess Celestia while we work to contain things. What we need to know right now is why he’s here specifically and what he thinks he can do. I don’t think he planned to run into any of us when he arrived but he…”

Spike lifted a cucumber slice and looked at the mutually skeptical pegasus as the silence Twilight caused continued. Both of her friends knew better than to stop her train of thought, this was far too important to get lectured at for the next hour about interrupting ponies.

“It’s perfect,” said Twilight after a few more minutes of silence. “Spike, Rainbow, don’t you see? He didn’t know where to go. He knew to avoid the Empire, but there wasn’t much else. You know how ponies tend to gravitate towards Ponyville right? Well, somepony must have helped him along and led him here. It makes perfect sense, especially if it was a friend of a friend or something else like that. If he knew there was a castle here then there’s no way he would’ve come here. A castle would’ve meant, by what was probably established in that era, an alicorn lived there. I wonder if he knew about the Castle of the Two Sisters or how he would act if he knew Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were up in Canterlot.”

“Well, what if Discord lured him here believing it would be fun?”

“I wouldn’t call it fun again Rainbow Dash,” replied her chair as it took on the distinct misshapen pattern of the draconequus. “I don’t think unleashing a popsicle that insults me sounds very fun, do you?”

Rainbow Dash bolted out of her seat and landed near Spike the dragon. “Wait a sec, an insulting popsicle?”

Discord’s face appeared on the mismatched chair. “What, would you have preferred ‘ponysicle’?”

“I think she means why you called him that,” clarified Twilight.

“Well, much like the stories he heard about me, I’ve heard about him, his tyranny, and his fondness for stairs.”

“Twilight, can we add that to the things you want to ask him about,” added Spike. “I mean, all those stairs down from the throne room and all the stairs leading to the top of the castle, if that isn’t a sign that he has some issues then what is?”

“Fine,” replied Twilight, who had finally conceded to the fact that she would be out one massage. “Where can we find him Discord?”

The draconequus had yet to change from his chair-like appearance, only proving to be more unnerving as his clawed chair arm began to stroke the back cushion where his goatee looked stitched on. “He seems to be hanging onto every word Pinkie Pie says so I would try looking for her. She thinks she can help him just like Fluttershy helped me but I know better. Some stains don’t come out and his are the things nightmares are made of, or so I’ve heard.”

“No, you’re right, they don’t come out,” replied Twilight as she tried to avoid looking at Discord. “I can’t forgive his actions, but I want to know why he became what he was. There has to be a reason in there and I’m going to find out what it was.”