• Published 26th Sep 2015
  • 9,555 Views, 165 Comments

Can You Find it in Your Heart? - Ravenmane



As broken as he is. As unforgivable as he acted. Could anyone find it in their heart to care for a tyrant such as King Sombra?

  • ...
15
 165
 9,555

11 - Twilight Sparkle's First Convention of Friendship

At first I thought Pinkie was insane when she said we needed to get everypony together at the castle. Then I realized who it was. It was easy to get most ponies. At least until Applejack…

~~~~~

3 hours earlier…

“Applejack, we really need to talk,” Twilight said sternly. It was at least the fifth time she said it.

“And I told you ‘ah need to do mah chores,” the earth pony replied.

“If I help you, will you come to the castle?”

Applejack stopped and stared at her friend. “What’s so important?”

“Well, there’s a pony in town that we need to talk about.” Twilight paused, hoping to hear something else. “I’ll also need help getting Fluttershy to come once she find out.”

Applejack sighed. “Alright, you help me an’ we’ll get Fluttershy, but you have ‘ta tell me what’s going on now.”

Since the word ‘alright’ Twilight had gotten to work feeding the farm animals while collecting eggs from the chickens with magic.

“Fine,” the farmer said with a groan, “you’ll need to tell me sooner or later.”

~~~~~

Present

“So what’s this all about Twilight,” called Rarity as she took her seat at the table. “It isn’t about our new long-term visitor is it?”

Spike perked up in his seat. “What visitor?”

Twilight took her seat next to her assistant. “Now, we are gathered her today to hold what I want to call the First Convention of Friendship. The topic today will be King Sombra.”

Former King Sombra,” clarified Pinkie. “His name is Sombra La-something Amore.”

“It’s Lamentius,” said Rarity curtly. “He introduced himself with that name when we first met. Son of the former princess and brother to the crown princess.”

“Can somepony tell me why he’s still here,” asked Spike.

“Because he’s still welcome,” replied Twilight. “Now, let’s return to the topic at hoof. Rarity, can you tell us what you know about him?”

“Well, he told me that he is a prince and he talked casually about what he did. Glossed over it actually, but he said that he knew he was feared by some and best forgotten by many.”

“Anything else?”

“That he used to make food for Princess Celestia while he was courting her. After having dinner with him, I had no idea how he could prepare such beautifully perfect food while trying to win the heart of anypony. I mean, breakfast, lunch, and dinner?”

“Geez,” interjected Spike, “sounds like he can do everything. I mean, nopony’s that perfect.”

“Well obviously he didn’t do every meal every day,” harped Rainbow Dash. “I wanna know why he came here in the first place. Also, why speak to Rarity?”

“Well, I told him to try since he was going nowhere with anypony in town,” Pinkie admitted. “I’ve got a hunch somepony in Trottingham told him about Ponyville so he came to check it out.”

“That supports my working theory,” added Twilight. “So what does he want Pinkie? When I asked him he was a little evasive.”

“I think he wants to break even. I don’t think he likes his history, like he knows it’s wrong or not all there.”

“‘Ah bet he’s just tryin’ to make excuses,” said Applejack before she slammed her hoof on the table. “He’s up to something, mark my words.”

“I’m with AJ on this one Twi,” added Spike as he balled one hand into a fist and slammed it into the other. “I mean I thought about it some and he had to know it would be easier to get revenge on ponies nowhere close to the Crystal Heart.”

“Um–”

“You have got to be kidding me,” said Rarity as she cut Fluttershy off. “If anything he’s a wonderful chef, a polite guest, and you should have seen how the girls were when I came home. So quiet and polite and well behaved. Housesitting for one afternoon and everything is neat and orderly, dinner is better than a five-star restaurant, and the girls are quiet. How could I ask for more?” She turned to look at Pinkie. “If he wasn’t staying with you then I would die just for him to take care of things for a few more days.”

“If I could just–”

“Come on Rare,” shouted Rainbow Dash as she cut Fluttershy off. “He’s gotta have some angle if everything was like that. I mea–”

“Girls,” shouted Fluttershy, her brow furrowed. “Sorry, but it’s my turn to talk now. I want to give him a chance. I mean, we gave Discord a chance didn’t we?”

“And he doesn’t always give us the best reason to keep him around,” mumbled Spike.

Twilight turned her attention to her assistant. “He’s not a treasure trove of information like Sombra is. I get the feeling that if we can get his alicorn anxiety under control then we can learn about all sorts of things that might help us with all sorts of things.”

Pinkie smirked as she leaned on the table. “So he was underselling how well your little encounter went.”

“You spoke with HIM,” spurted Spike.

Twilight silently nodded. “He’s interesting. Very casual about everything. It’s hard to put it right but there’s something about it that’s not easy to put in words.”

Rarity smiled. “I know what you mean. I know I called him Prince Charming once, but that was all I could call him in front of the girls.” Rarity’s eyes narrowed as the smile faded from her face. “Little did I know, they already knew who he was. It is hard to place just what it is but maybe that’s his charm. Or maybe it’s mystique hidden behind a pony living his life. You don’t think–”

“That was what Princess Celestia saw in him? Could be but I don’t know. Maybe he has some other trait that she liked.”

Rainbow scratched her head. “So I’m not confused, did he go all evil cause they broke up?”

“We’d know if he wasn’t scared of Twilight,” replied Fluttershy. “We can all agree that much could help in some capacity right? Even if there’s nothing more than a hole in history that can be filled.”

Twilight listened in silence in her attempt to put pieces together. “I’ve got it,” she exclaimed and caused everyone else from getting involved. “When we met he said there were things I wouldn’t believe or think he was making it up. What he knows is important, ponies can help him find a better life if they know what he knows. So, I want to put it to a vote. All who are in favor of keeping him in Ponyville?” Twilight watched as three hooves rose. “Okay, and those who oppose?” Two hooves were raised, as did Spike’s clawed hand. “Motion carries, Sombra stays for now.”

“Woah, so ties go in favor or something,” asked Rainbow as she leaned forward and locked eyes with Twilight.

I vote for him to stay. Four votes in favor, three oppose, so he stays for now. Any other questions?”

“Who wants ice cream,” asked Pinkie cheerfully as she set a large tub on the table.