• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 2,569 Views, 130 Comments

An Imperfect Paradise - Ximer



Daniel has adapted to life on a strange world, made a name for himself, and finally has a family of his own. The next chapter in his life will throw all of that for a loop.

  • ...
5
 130
 2,569

The Final Countdown

I had reverted back to four legs two days ago, which had given Thunderlane plenty of time to get ready. As I had predicted, once the effects of whatever was in that bottle had worn off I felt fine, rejuvenated even. Minor observations aside, it was time to focus on getting back in the game.

"Are you sure about this?" Ike asked as I opted to walk to the field this morning, enjoying the twin's company.

"I'm sure, he's not the same stallion he was," I replied.

"So what makes him so special that you agreed to this?" Mike asked.

"He said he knows how to beat Zero, which I find surprising," I doubted my own answer. "If he's right though, then we should at least give him the time of day."

"Speak of the devil," Ike said motioning with his head towards not only Thunderlane, but...Twilight?

"What the fuck?" I blurted out.

"Ditto," Mike said absentmindedly.

"Ah, there you are," Twilight said as her ears perked up. "Better late than never I suppose."

"Twilight, no offense, but what are you doing here?" I asked, jumping straight to the point.

"She's here to help beat Zero," Thunderlane spoke up.

"I thought you said you had that," Ike snorted.

"In case it hasn't sunk in yet, Daniel isn't from our world, if I tried to explain magical physics to him it'd probably give him an aneurism," Thunderlane deadpanned.

"Hey!" I snorted, only to be ignored.

"Not to mention Zero's a bit more complex than anything I've seen in Equestria before," Twilight added. "That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults though."

"Rainbow Dash and Lean Streak taught you how to make the most of your wings," Thunderlane started. "What they didn't teach you was how to fly as if you had high speed wings."

"What good would that do me?" my words escaped on a chuckle.

"You're fast, we're going to train your mind and body to be faster," Thunderlane said blankly. "Besides, with what I'm going to ask you to try you'll need to have as much speed and maneuverability as possible."

"What's he talking about?" Mike asked.

"Yeah, please explain," I said. "Because you're starting to worry me."

"Have you ever noticed how pegasi don't fly into one another's trails?" Thunderlane asked. "It's because magic aids in helping them fly, their own magic, and when more is added to the mix it can make things complicated."

"So you're wanting me to cheat?" I raised a questioning eyebrow.

"If you want to get technical, Whitefire has done the same thing to you before, and so have other racers. You just didn't realize what was happening, since you weren't raised on four legs and with a pair of wings." Twilight explained.

"How would this affect him...it, exactly?" Ike asked.

"Zero is one hundred percent artificial, nothing about him is natural, meaning he can't adjust to the strain of flying through another pegasi's trail," Twilight replied. "If my theory is correct it would cause his wings to become inoperable."

"I'm not sure what I'm impressed by more, the fact that you've actually come up with a way to beat Zero, or that you support this." I said looking at Twilight and Thunderlane.

"You and I both know what's on the other side of that mirror," Twilight looked up at me. "Thunderlane has no idea how right he is, we have to prove that the real thing is better than a fake."

"Twilight, I'm not a real pegasus either," I said.

"I see two wings, a mane and a tail," Thunderlane spoke up. "You are a pegasus, whether you want to be one or not."

Thunderlane had insulted me numerous times, and been the one to call me a fake numerous times. To hear him finally relent and tell me that I belonged meant more to me than he knew. As much as I would have enjoyed dwelling in the moment of revelation, there was work to be done.

"If you want to beat him, you have to trust me," Thunderlane said.

"Where do we start?" I asked.

"You're strong, but heavy, too heavy," Thunderlane said poking me in the side. "Zero is streamline, you have to drop what you can if you want to get in front of him. The clock starts now, let's see where you little break put you time wise."

"I've got a feeling my sides are about to hurt," I sighed.

"Better get used to it, because for the next four months we're going to be best friends," Thunderlane said darkly.

---

Week One:

Thunderlane could tell from watching his new under study that he wasn't used to the rapid succession of work outs he was. It made Thunderlane wonder how he had beaten him to begin with, but he had to remind himself that he had lost before he made a comeback. If anypony could come from behind, it would be him.

"Ike, how's he looking number wise?" Thunderlane asked.

"He's leveling out to what he has been, all of this is pretty standard to him," Ike replied with a small crack in his voice.

"I see, so "leveling out" is considered trying to down the entire cooler?" Thunderlane pointed towards the stallion as he tilted the container filled with water towards him.

The spigot either wasn't good enough, or wasn't giving him what he needed, which caused Ike to slam his hoof against his face in embarrassment. Mike snickered at the stallion's antics until a sharp jab to his stomach from his brother silenced him.

---

Week Two:

"Come on, pick up the pace," Thunderlane called over the wind whistling over my ears as my speed increased. "You've got to make every second count that you're in front of him, anything less is wasted time. It's a commodity you don't have anymore."

The concept of purposefully trying to lock another pony up behind me still seemed a bit dirty, but if we got into the topic of what was fair and what wasn't, having your muscles prebuilt seemed a bit unfair to me. As much as I didn't want a gimmick to win, I couldn't leave things to chance again and risk losing to Zero all over again.

I looked behind me to look at the trail I was leaving behind. It was as vibrant as ever, and oddly satisfying to watch materialize as I continued with the routine that Thunderlane had picked up with Lean Streak's departure.

---

Zero's ear swiveled behind him, detecting the approaching whistle of Whitefire. The stallion was definitely in his prime, more so than Daniel had been. The artificial stallion listened as he closed the distance between the two of them, coming in from the side.

Strategically speaking, Whitefire was at a disadvantage, coming from the outside. Zero found it odd that the stallion didn't seem to care about his obvious oversight, but never the less effortlessly increased his speed to leave the racer behind him.

Thankfully Zero knew when enough was enough and decreased his speed once more as he neared the finish line. Perhaps Impulse's hype of Daniel had truly been misplaced. He was just a normal stallion, who had fallen like any other.

---

Week three:

Ike watched as Daniel rounded the third corner, way ahead of the other racers. Thunderlane's methods had seemed a bit odd at first, but once the stallion started to look a bit leaner, his speed started to improve. The workout routines were nothing like what Lean Streak had him doing, which resulted in large, massive muscle.

Still, it was nothing compared to the time that Zero had over him. As it stood now, Zero could break his record at the Crystal track. Pushing the dark thought aside, it was impressive to see what two former rivals were accomplishing working together instead of working alone.

"He needs to bring his time up," Thunderlane said, having observed the race closely.

"We've tried that before, he' always hit a ceiling," Ike said.

"Time to renovate and raise it then," Thunderlane smirked before taking off to talk with their racer.

Ike looked down at the records he had for their races. Daniel couldn't afford to lose another race, second place wasn't even an option now. Where he had finished third in his race with Thunderlane, against Zero he never made it to the finish line. That hurt him point wise more than he probably realized.

"He can do it, right?" Mike asked.

"One can hope," Ike replied.

---

Week Six:

"Again," Thunderlane sighed as I tried and failed to line myself up in front of Rainbow Dash.

"It's like you're not even trying," the cyan mare commented.

"You're more than welcome to hop in the driver's seat Dash if you think you can do it better," I snapped, causing Thunderlane to snicker.

"Rainbow Dash, why don't you give the understudy a prolonged dose of what it feels like being behind another flyer?" the stallion smirked.

"Sure, nothing like a little role reversal," Rainbow Dash replied, motioning for me to follow her.

I shook my head in frustration and reluctantly followed after the mare. There was no preset destination for the time being. It was simply trying to keep the other pegasus behind you, which I knew Rainbow Dash was more than capable of doing.

I gave chase to the mare, and began to drift out from behind her almost instantly. It was something I found myself doing subconsciously, which was why I had never noticed it until Thunderlane had pointed it out. I didn't stay out from Rainbow Dash for long, however, as she realigned herself and forced me to quite literally feel the rainbow.

I made a much more voluntary effort to avoid her, only to get cut off once more as she maintained her lead over me. I was starting to get annoyed at this point and tried to fly past her, which I found to be an impossibility as she cut me off once more.

"Are you a believer yet?" Thunderlane asked, flying up to me once I finally deemed my wings unfit to fly after noticing how ruffled the feathers had become.

"Well, it certainly answers a lot of questions I once had," I replied.

"Ready to start giving this an honest effort then?" the charcoal stallion asked. "Let's be honest, we both know you can do better."

"I don't like you," I moaned.

"Feeling's mutual, let's go again," Thunderlane chuckled.

---

Zero observed Alabaster from second place, noting his confidence. After learning of the top contender’s defeats, no doubt he thought he was better than both of them having gotten ahead of him.

Still, Zero had a job to do, and Impulse wouldn't like it if he came in second. His only option was first place, he had simply wanted a decent race for once, one with a small challenge to it. In order to obtain such a life goal, he had to willingly contain his speed, which was superior to Alabaster's by a large margin.

As the finish line was set before them, Zero revealed his true speed, earning a round of cheers from the crowd as he blew past the other racer. Such an act had once meant something to him, but now it only seemed to make the void in his mind larger.

He had no heart to lose, no soul to forfeit. Still, he felt as if he did, and what good is winning if you lose your heart in the moment? This was a concept Impulse didn't understand, refused to understand, but he had to remain loyal, he was the only family connection he had in this world. Having Impulse was better than having no one.

---

Week Ten:

Cloudchaser watched from the ground as her stallion continued to run drills with Mike for a moment. She had taken the time to watch a few times, but was glad to catch him in the middle of working out. Especially since she wasn't alone today.

"Daaadaaada," Stormwalker babbled.

"That's right, that's your daddy," Cloudchaser giggled.

Her laughter had caught the attention of Thunderlane who was ready to chase off whoever had walked onto one of their drills. He stopped himself when he noticed who it was, however, and merely cleared his throat in an attempt to gain his exe's attention.

Cloudchaser looked up to lock eyes with the charcoal stallion, his presence filling her with a mixture of emotions. She didn't feel threatened by him, since she knew none of the other stallions present would have any of that, but now that he knew she was watching, she was unsure of what to say.

She had wanted to stop and talk to him numerous times, but had never found the proper moment, or had always been preoccupied. Now that fate had put them together again, she felt it was time to bury the hatchet.

"Hi," Cloudchaser said quietly.

"Hey," Thunderlane replied looking towards the ground. "What brought you out here?"

"Uh, him," Cloudchaser pointed towards Daniel as both stumbled through their awkward conversation. "I wanted to check on him, y'know?"

"Not really, but that's cool," Thunderlane said.

"Yeah...it is," Cloudchaser mumbled, digging her hoof into the soft soil.

"So, that's Stormwalker?" Thunderlane asked, turning his attention to the foal that had started to feast on a dandelion.

"Yeah, that's him," Cloudchaser replied. "He'll be talking before too long."

"So I've heard, when he rest you guys are what he talks about the most," Thunderlane said, turning away from Cloudchaser.

"Thunderlane, why did you offer to help?" Cloudchaser asked.

"Because when I hit the bottom, he was the only one that offered to pull me back up," Thunderlane said.

Cloudchaser had assumed the worst of him, and felt guilt for it now. She had thought for sure this would just be a chance for him to get back at him, or perhaps even try to get close to her, but he didn't want any of that.

"Thank you," Cloudchcaser said, turning her attention back to Stormwalker as he continued to play on his strengthening legs.

---

Impulse watched from the private booth as Bold Wind flew side by side against Zero, a feat which the stallion found impressive since he had already opened up to almost his full speed. He knew Bold Wind had been champion once, and had hoped this would be an interesting race.

Still, Zero almost seemed to be treating this as if it was a game. Impulse had noticed him becoming less and less cooperative after each race. His reluctance was proving to be troublesome, but a few days after the event he would always seem to return to normal, as normal as he could get anyways.

Another sour thought occupied his mind as well as Zero’s new found rebellious attitude. Daniel was causing a stir once more, this time with Thunderlane at his side. If one former racer from his father wasn’t bad enough, now there were two of them working together! Each time the paper had him placing first by an ever increasing margin.

"It doesn't make sense," Impulse huffed. “That a racer who was down for the count could come back so quickly, it’s unheard of.”

"Clearly he consumes an apple a day," Flicker commented.

"You think this is funny?" Impulse asked.

"No, not in the slightest, I'm simply trying to make light of a dark situation," the pegasus replied.

"You said he'd come back twice as strong, I thought I had more time to prepare for what improvements he might make," Impulse's voice dropped in volume, but kept its harsh tone.

"Perhaps you should have a talk with your prototype, and start putting an end to races sooner than he has been," Flicker said. "Clearly he's holding back."

"Zero isn't holding back, he's been fine tuned to end races at the perfect time," Impulse said defensively, despite having doubt in his own heart.

"And what happens when another racer has built himself back up to be better than the fine-tuned abilities of Zero?" Flicker asked, hinting towards Daniel.

"That's an impossibility," Impulse shook his head in denial.

"Humor me," Flicker urged the stallion to give him an actual answer.

"You can only push something so far, tweak something so many times before it becomes inoperable," Impulse replied.

"Maybe you should consider using your other toy instead," Flicker advised.

"Celestia would never allow it," Impulse sighed.

"And she wouldn't have to know, would she?" Flicker grinned. "Zero wears a full body suit as it is, there would be no way to distinguish between the two if that were the case."

Impulse considered such an option only for a few seconds before shaking his head. He knew that they still needed to be tested before actually dwelling amongst civilians. They were much like Zero was when he was first built, soulless. The only difference between that stage of Zero's life, and theirs was that they were capable of basic processes, but nothing more.

"No, I can't have them malfunction and cause a stir again," Impulse said.

"Suit yourself," Flicker shrugged. "Mark my words though, soon he'll be coming for your you and Zero, and he’ll be the end of you"

---

Week Seventeen:

Fatigue meant little to me now, just as Thunderlane had predicted. I carried less, but hadn’t exactly lost much strength in the trade off. I still felt just as strong, if not stronger, Cloudchaser wasn’t all that excited about the change, but I promised her that I would try to buff up again once Zero was dealt with.

Today’s race was the last stop on my road to a rematch with the animatronic stallion. It was something I had been looking forward to, and dreading at the same time. I couldn’t screw up again, not after reading reports of Zero coming in first in his remaining races as well.

“Still got energy to burn?” Thunderlane asked after slapping me on the back.

“I feel like I could go again, actually,” I replied, despite the obvious sweat beading from my body saying that at least a brief rest was in order.

Despite the obvious signs of a well flown race, I did indeed feel like I could go again if asked. Thunderlane was a surprisingly good teacher, he had experience that I lacked, and the limbs that Ike didn’t quite understand. He had done an amazing job getting me back on track, though I had a feeling that if Lean Streak were still around I’d hear a lengthy lecture about who he’d been replaced with.

The thought of my old teacher made me smile. For once, I smiled when I thought of him and all that he had taught me and where he had led me.

“So, what’s the plan now?” Mike asked.

“We’ll need to head to Las Pegasus, that’s where the finals will be held,” I replied.

“You’ve got a week before that happens though,” Ike said. “You’re not wanting to stir stuff up, are you?”

“No, I’ve got to keep a promise to a friend, that’s all,” I smiled assuredly. “You guys don’t have to come with me if you don’t want to.”

“You’re not going to do anything crazy, right?” Thunderlane poked me in the chest, disregarding personal space.

“I’ll be a good colt, scouts honor,” I said with a salute.

“Just who is this friend that you’re supposed to meet?” Thunderlane pressed.

“Harmony Chorus,” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“Whoa whoa whoa, THE Harmony Chorus?” I relished the stallion’s look of shock as he spoke.

“The one and only,” I replied.

“You’re lying, how did you get to be friends with her?” Mike asked.

“Well, when I was still human she was the first friend I made outside of Twilight’s little group,” I smiled. “In fact, she’s one of the main reasons I decided to stay. I owe it to her to try to attend one of her shows when I can.”

“Why can’t you be normal for once?” Ike asked.

“Because what fun is normal?” I asked in return.

---

Zero wanted nothing to do with Flicker, so upon learning of his impending arrival the stallion left Impulse's home. He wanted to be outside anyways, it was nice, or what normal ponies considered nice. Weather mattered little to him since he lacked skin and couldn't process hot or cold.

He wanted time to himself for a while anyways, since most of his days consisted of test, racing, and more test. His only moments of true peace where his notes that he had taken down, which almost seemed to form a story the more he review them, and the shiny red object he had brought with him.

Aside from the journal, the ball was the only other possession Zero owned. He had little need of personal items, and had never seen the appeal of them, aside from the two he possessed.

Much was on the stallion's mind, more than the simple processes of items and ownership of such. The visions had started to become clearer, images no longer blurred or out of focus in places. In fact, now he was starting to see things that were familiar to him, but there were a few instances where locations seemed to overlap, and the scenery would change in the span of a second.

Zero put aside such things for the time being, as he found his preferred spot. It was nothing more than a lot that had been left in disrepair. That mattered little to Zero, as the brick walls of the nearby building provided the perfect object to bounce his ball off of.

Taking a seat a distance away from the building, Zero tossed the ball and waited for it to return to him, only to repeat the process. The stallion still couldn't believe how something so simple provided him with such joy; much more than winning ever had.

Not long after he began to play, he heard the sound of laughter, mingled with what sounded like the cries of a foal. Curious, Zero stood ceased hi activity, his systems not even registering when the ball hit him on the head to bounce off to the side harmlessly.

Zero could tell that the cries and laughs were close. More so out of curiosity than obligation, the stallion decided to follow the noise. Crying was normally a sound accompanied by distress or grief of some form, rarely was it accompanied by laughter, which was the exact opposite by definition.

As Zero got closer, he could make out different voices which seemed to be jeering and insulting another individual. He knew that Impulse had told him to stay out of the affairs of other ponies, but from the pitch and tone of the voice that sounded distorted by sobs, it was a small foal. Some part of Zero felt…angry…genuinely mad at the thought that harm was being done to a youth.

Zero picked up the pace until his artificial eyes scanned over five teenage colts, bullying a much younger one. If Zero ever wished he could narrow his eyes, it would have been then. He had never felt this type of hate or rage before, it was as if it didn’t belong, like it was someone else’s.

“I warned your sister not to call me and my friends out today, but she felt the need to let the entire school know about,” the tallest colt said.

“We swore we’d never hit a mare, buuut you don’t look like no mare to me,” one of his underlings commented.

“I bet we can change that,” a black coated colt snickered.

“Stop!” Zero’s artificial voice caused the five teenaged stallions to jump in surprise.

“Pssh, it’s that stupid metal racer,” the oldest said with a roll of his eyes.

“What’s it want?” another asked.

“Who cares,” their leader said. “You hear that? Beat it you walking pile or scrap metal, this doesn’t concern you!”

“No!” Zero exclaimed. “You are committing foal harassment, I request that you please come with me quietly.”

“Foal harassment?” the leader said slowly stalking towards Zero. “Are you kidding me? Do you know what I could do to you?”

“Do you know what I can do to you?” Zero asked in return.

“Mess him up Sharp!” one of the colt’s shouted, encouraging their leader to initiate a fight with Zero.

The teenaged stallion grinned wickedly as he spun around on his forelegs in an attempt to land a kick on Zero. His speed was impressive for a colt, but Zero didn’t need to move in order to avoid damage. Impulse had taken the liberty of strengthening his plating after he claimed to have been bested by a few kicks from Daniel.

A loud clank was heard as the colt’s hooves collided with Zero’s metallic neck. Sharp’s eyes began to water up seconds later as the pain spiked up along his legs until he stumbled away from Zero, roaring in pain.

“My body is covered in a strong, light weight metal,” Zero said scanning over colts who had started to back away. “I don’t believe yours are.”

The colt that had been the victim of the teenaged stallion’s actions ran over to Zero, hiding behind him as the others continued to slowly retreat. Much to the metallic stallion’s delight, it seemed as if things would be resolved in a relatively peaceful manner.

“You smug son of a bitch!” Sharp shouted, pulling out what appeared to be a knife.

Despite knowing that the pitiful object would never pierce his hide, Zero had to worry about the foal being harmed now. Unwilling to risk his safety, the stallion rose up on his hind legs and proceeded to wrap one leg around his neck, while he disarmed Sharp with the other.

With a simple flurry, Zero tossed the stallion into a dumpster. The impact of the blow caused the lid to fall down on top of the thug. His underlings needed no more encouragement to run after witnessing how easily their boss had been disposed of, literally. Zero felt a bit guilty for what he had done, but proud he had been able to help.

“Are you injured?” Zero asked, looking down at the colt that was staring up at him in wonder.

“Uh…no sir,” the colt replied. “You’re really strong.”

“I am a prototype designated Zero, my body is not organic,” Zero replied.

“I don’t know what that means,” the earth colt shrugged.

“It means my body structure is superior to that of a regular pony,” Zero explained.

“Oh, well, um…thank you for saving me, Zero,” the colt said shyly.

“You’re…welcome,” Zero had never heard anyone tell him thank you. “We need to get you home.”

“Okay, let me find my ball real quick please,” the colt said taking off from the metallic stallion.

Zero was content to wait as he searched for the round object, for he understood the value of such a toy. His heart was saddened, however, when the colt held up a deflated, ruined rubber sack that had once been a brilliant, bouncy orb.

“Come with me,” Zero motioned with his head as an idea crossed his mind. “I know what to do.”

“So, what is it that you do Mr.Zero?” the colt asked.

“I am a racer designed by Impulse Spark,” Zero replied.

“I bet that’s cool…but you said your body was stronger than a normal pony’s.” the earth pony mumbled.

“Correct, does that scare you?” Zero asked.

“No, it just doesn’t seem like a very fair race then, you must be the best,” the colt replied.

“What’s your name?” Zero asked, in an attempt to change the subject.

“Batter Up,” the colt replied as the two continued to walk towards the lot Zero had been resting in.

“That’s an interesting name,” Zero said as he searched for his own ball.

Upon finding it, he passed it to the foal who looked up at him in shock. The earth pony eventually took it and wrapped one foreleg around it as best as he could before directing Zero to where his home was.

“Why were those other colts trying to hurt you?” Zero asked.

“If you can call them that,” Batter huffed. “They’re the school gang, and my sister is class president, so they pulled me to the side after she made changes that they didn’t like.”

“That is stupid,” Zero said flatly.

“It is, they’re going to be in big trouble this time,” Batter said as his tiny nostrils flared.

Eventually Batter Up led Zero to a decent looking house, and knocked on the door. A puzzled looking mare answered the door, her breath catching upon seeing Zero. Thankfully, the stallion was used to this sort of reaction, and didn’t take it to heart any more.

“Batter, where have you been!?” the colt’s mother exclaimed, upon noticing her son.

“I got in trouble, but Zero saved me, and he gave me this,” Batter replied holding up the red ball Zero had given him.

The mare looked from her son to Zero who stood at attention, prepared to leave the mare if she requested him to do so. He had ensured that nothing else happened to Batter Up, which was his main goal, the trust of his mother was not required for his continued existence-

“Umm…w-would you like to come in, maybe tell me what happened?” the mare offered.

Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to have it either. Needless to say her offer left Zero speechless, but he accepted with a nod. The colt beneath him ran ahead of them excitedly into the house.

“I’ve…never been inside another pony’s house before,” Zero said, astonished he was actually being allowed into another pony's home.

---

Noctra stood quietly by the window, watching the moon as it filled the night sky before resuming her post. The issue with Scootaloo had come and gone, and all that was left now was to let Flicker's little uproar blow over.

"Ah, Miss Noctra," called the familiar voice of Night Quill. "I'm glad I caught you when I did."

"Oh, hey Night Quill," Noctra smiled. "Take the night off?"

"Oh no, I'm afraid not, but I did find something regarding your hunt for information on Summer Stars." the unicorn replied.

"Sorry to spoil your find, but I've been ordered to cease the investigation, if you could call it that," Noctra chuckled. "I already gave her dad everything I found anyways."

"Well you may want to give these to him too, at your discretion of course,” Night Quill said levitating a scroll over to the bat pony.

Her curiosity kindled, Noctra opened the document and scanned over its contents. Her eyes slowly grew wider as she read over the unrolled parchment. It was a spell scroll, one of the few that was used for legal purposes for foals.

“This is…where did you find this?” Noctra asked.

“It was an accident really, almost as if somepony had tried to conceal it,” Night Quill replied. “Scootaloo recently reached maturity and her cutie mark appeared, so much work goes into the archives ponies aren’t aware of, it didn’t match either of her parents’ marks, which is odd.”

“This would explain why though…does Scootaloo know?” Noctra asked.

“No no, such documents aren’t given to orphanages, best for the foal you see,” Night Quill said.

“You said this was hidden, how so?” Noctra pressed, casting a suspicious glare at the unicorn.

“Let’s not shoot the messenger,” Night Quill laughed nervously. “That’s just the impression I got since part of the folder was charmed, though the magic was so weak it broke with little effort. Some records can be charmed, but I didn’t understand why a foal’s would be by the parent.”

Noctra looked over the spell again, it was a mild transfiguration spell. While it wouldn’t affect the filly or colt internally, this particular spell was meant to alter their appearance. It wasn’t cheap either and it was often used under extreme circumstances. The bat mare didn’t quite see the big picture, until Night Quill mentioned the word “parent.”

We kept in touch…but after she turned me down for a guard things didn’t really feel the same between us, Flicker’s words echoed through her mind. Unfortunately I wasn’t her keeper, you were better off asking her family. I regret to inform you that there aren’t any surviving members.

Before you, do you happen to have a name? another mental recording played through her mind of Flicker’s voice.

Scootaloo, replied a disembodied mockery of Isabella’s voice within the confines of Noctra’s mind.

“Unless it was a parent that didn’t want something uncovered,” Noctra said with a look of realization on her muzzle. “Where’s Flicker?”

Author's Note:

Everything is set in motion for the final chapter, all characters set to converge on one location. What will the outcome when all is said and done? Thank you guys for reading. This chapter was meant to be a bit of a montage chapter. The next chapter may take a bit, but I'll do my best to make it worth the wait.