• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 2,568 Views, 130 Comments

An Imperfect Paradise - Ximer



Daniel has adapted to life on a strange world, made a name for himself, and finally has a family of his own. The next chapter in his life will throw all of that for a loop.

  • ...
5
 130
 2,568

Bless The Broken

It was a struggle to keep my head up as the large black box passed us as it was moved ceremoniously by two unicorns. I could hear the quiet whimpers from those around me, on a unusually cloudy day in Las Pegasus as my mentor, friend, and the closest thing I had to a father in this world was laid to rest in his home town.

Scootaloo pressed herself against me as close as she could, as if trying to hide from some unseen foe. I glanced down to see her eyes brimming over with tears. Cloudchaser did her best to comfort the filly, but Lean Streak had been good to Scootaloo when she came to watch me. She had undoubtedly softened his heart a bit.

For those that had known him longer than I, such as Mike and Ike, the pain of loss was far more evident. It was a struggle to hold my tears back to be strong for Scootaloo, but Lean Streak had been a pillar in my life, which made it difficult to keep my emotions from bubbling up to the surface.

Memories, both fond and hurtful involving the stallion resurfaced in my mind as the priest began to say a few final words. As he spoke, my already fragile resolve started to melt away, as a tear slid free from my eye as a weight came over me, making it difficult to stand.

Lean Streak’s family fared no better as the final words were spoken, and the last flower was placed against the top of his coffin. He had endured so much, pulled others through their own trials, only to fall victim to his own. It didn’t seem fair, it wasn’t fair at all.

His body couldn’t handle his last attack; his body had finally grown tired of struggling against time and illness. It was a natural part of life, one that didn’t seem to balance itself out like we would like it to. Lean Steak deserved to go peacefully, he had earned that, not like this; not with his last few moments being wracked with pain.

The entire trip home these thoughts danced about in my head, mingled with the lingering attachment I had, and still carried for Lean Streak. It wasn’t until night fell on the train ride home that I left our car to the abandoned caboose, looking up at the stars that Luna had hung so carefully in the night sky.

Alone as I was, with nopony around to hear me, I cried. Bitter tears flowed down my cheeks unoppressed as my body heaved in anguish. A part of me had been torn away, Lean Streak being my drive, the one I looked up to when I felt like I couldn’t give any more. He had been the one to offer me light in my hour of darkness.

It was a different kind of light though, one that was earned, crafted, and eventually mastered. Just when that light seemed to shine brightest, it had been snuffed out. The more logical part of my mind realized that this left me without a coach, though logic was a distant thought at the moment. For now, only grief seemed welcome, even as my subconscious reminded me of all the time, both good and bad, we had spent together. It didn’t seem long enough to me.

I felt a warm wing wrap around me, as Cloudchaser slid up against me. My tears streaked down her feathers, and left their damp presence on her coat. She didn’t seem to care, but instead nuzzled her head beneath mine, forcefully shifting my point of view as she pressed herself against me.

“You don’t have to hide your feelings anymore,” Cloudchaser said.

“What am I going to do now though?” I asked. “You must think I’m pretty dumb.”

“I don’t think you’re dumb,” Cloudchaser said as she wrapped both wings around me. “I think you’re still trying to be strong and stand alone when you don’t have to.”

I wrapped my forelegs around her as I cried; the strong, proud pegasus racer, reduced to little more than a sniveling colt. I was thankful that it was just the two of us, and that Scootaloo wasn’t here to see me break down like this.

Cloudchaser held me tighter, her warm body soothing my troubled spirit. She eventually pulled away to look into my eyes with two shining rose orbs that stared straight into my soul. The mare easily saw past the impressive figure time in this world had blessed me with to see the injured heart beneath. She saw the scared human inside.

“Even heroes are allowed to cry,” Cloudchaser said, pressing her nose against mine.

“I’m not a hero,” I replied.

“Little foals look up to you, some want to be like you, adults admire your actions, and your number one fan is sleeping a few cars away,” Cloudchaser reminded me. “You’re hero enough to me.”

“The one that made that possible is gone now,” I said.

“That pain you’re feeling,” Coudchaser started, placing a hoof where my heart was steadily beating. “It’s just a reminder that he’s still there. You can get through this.”

“With time,” I said, breaking away. “Without a coach though, we’re dead in the water. Lean Streak always knew when I could give more, no matter how tired I was, but never pushed me all the way over the edge, it was his gift.”

“So you’re just going to give up then?” Cloduchaser asked.

“Lean Streak is dead, he held the team together, what do you want me to do?” I asked.

“Only you can decide that,” Cloudchaser replied. “If I was you though, I would endure, move on for his sake. He wouldn’t want you to stop.”

I didn’t reply, letting my eyes drift down to the rapidly passing train tracks. Cloudchaser was right, the gruff old stallion wouldn’t want me to quit. Without a coach though it was less what I wanted, and more about what was plausible. Finding a replacement worth his salt would be difficult, and Dash couldn’t be counted on all the time.

“You’re always telling me you want to set a good example for Scootaloo and Stormwalker, I guarantee they'll be watching you now," Cloudchaser said.

---

Noctra waited nervously for a response, after knocking on the front door to Flicker’s sizeable house. The sun was setting, and son she would be able to remove the night vision goggles that shielded her sensitive eyes from Celestia’s sun.

The bat pony could hardly believe such a simple request had taken her this far into other ponies’ lives. Though she hated to admit it, playing the role of detective gave her a slight thrill. She had never spoken to Flicker in person, only heard rumors about him, and his reviews varied depending upon whom you spoke to, especially if you took their class into consideration. Needless to say, Noctra had the distinct feeling that this evening was about to get interesting.

“Are you sure about this, Noctra?” Isabella asked as she poked at the cadet armor the bat mare had taken the liberty of dressing her in.

“Flicker isn’t too fond of your brother from what I’ve heard, which is why we’re dressed up,” Noctra said with a flick of her tail. “Besides, you make for a cute unicorn.”

“This armor smells pretty bad,” Isabella grumbled.

“That’s because it had a sweaty guard in it earlier today,” Noctra smiled upon hearing a disapproving wrenching sound come from her companion. “Can’t have Flicker knowing who you are, through appearance or scent.”

“Why…” Isabella moaned weakly.

“Because it’d be weird if I was the only one showing up like this, and I’d prefer to have a witness when dealing with the upper crust of Canterlot, bad past experiences,” Noctra explained.

“Surely you can fall back on something better than that?” Isabella rolled her eyes.

“Okay, I got in trouble with the elitist and that’s how I ended up on the streets until you and your brother got mixed up in my hurricane of a life, is that better?” Noctra deadpanned.

Isabella didn’t get the chance to reply, as the door opened up to a well-groomed pegasus. This had to be Flicker, everything about him screamed power, wealth, and arrogance, the proper makings of one of Canterlot's "finest."

"Can I...help you?" the stallion asked as his eyes darted from Isabella to Noctra.

"Flicker I presume?" Noctra asked.

"Yes, I am he," the stallion replied hesitantly. "I don't recall sending for guards."

"You didn't, we came seeking some information that you might have on Summer Stars," Noctra smiled.

"Summer Stars," Flicker laughed. "I'm afraid I'm still not following how I'm related in your quest."

"We were asked to look into the history of a Brave Banner, and one thing led to another, which eventually led us to you, the brother of Summer Stars' late fiancé," Noctra explained proudly.

"Humble much?" Isabella snickered.

"I-I...I see," Flicker's confident expression falter for a few seconds before he gathered his smug exterior. "I don't believe I caught either of your names."

“I’m Noctra, and this is-“ Noctra started before she realized that she hadn’t thought of a name for Isabella.

“Light Bright.” Isabella covered for her quickly.

Flicker looked both of the mares over once more before shrugging. “Wouldn’t want to keep Equestria’s finest outside I suppose.”

As Noctra and Isabella followed Flicker inside, the bat pony threw Isabella a whimsical “really?” expression. Isabella simply shrugged, reserving her explanation for later, she had blurted out the first thing that came to her mind when she thought of unicorns, which happened to be a simplistic toy.

“So, you went digging through archives to find out about my brother’s betrothed,” Flicker spoke up, his tone carrying the faintest hint of annoyance. “I’m quite curious as to who this particular pony was.”

“Just a filly friend of mine,” Noctra replied.

Isabella could tell that Flicker didn’t appreciate the vagueness of her answer, but didn’t appear ready to start a conflict over it, yet anyways. There was something unsettling about this stallion that Isabella couldn’t quite put her finger, or hoof on. On the surface he seemed like any other snobby Canterlot pegasus, but when she looked into his eyes, there wasn’t a warmth like there was with Noctra, Celestia, Blueblood, or any of those that she held close to her. His eyes were cold, almost soulless.

“I see,” Flicker’s muzzle twisted a bit, before curling into an unsettling smile. “Summer Stars…a rather sweet unicorn if one spent enough time around her. She had a tendency to isolate herself when she was working on projects.”

Noctra’s ears shifted slightly, one faltering while the other stayed erect. From what she knew of the mare, she was social. The bat pony began to consider the possibility of Flicker giving them fabricated facts about her, but let him continue regardless.

“Always so curious...she never could seem to stay out of other ponies’ business if she thought they were in trouble. A favorable trait for those that called her friend, I suppose,” Flicker hummed.

“Didn’t you?” Isabella asked.

“We kept in touch…but after she turned me down for a guard things didn’t really feel the same,” Flicker explained. “We became more like acquaintances.”

“And you were the first born?” Noctra asked trying to confirm what she already knew.

“For being so curious about Summer Stars you seem to be drifting over to me,” Flicker pointed out.

“W-well, it’s just you two seemed to be intertwined is all,” Noctra blushed.

“So it would seem,” Flicker said. “Was there something particular you wanted to ask?”

“It was mostly general questions about her, nothing really nailed down,” Noctra replied.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t her keeper, you were better off asking her family,” Flicker shrugged. “I regret to inform you that there aren’t any.”

The stallion’s uncaring attitude rubbed Isabella the wrong way. To so casually dismiss her niece’s birth mother like that pushed her buttons in a bad way. One of those buttons just so happened to be her filter.

“She has a daughter you know,” Isabella snapped.

“Come again?” Flicker’s attitude did a complete about face at this revelation.

“You heard me, you insensitive asswipe,” Isabella snarled. “She had a daughter.”

Noctra couldn’t help but notice how Flicker’s coat color seemed to grow a shade lighter. It was as if somepony had just told him the world was coming to an end, the dread in his eyes evident where previously they had lacked the flare of emotion.

“I believe your search would prove more productive elsewhere,” Flicker said, practically ignoring the fact that he had just been called an asswipe.

“Sorry to disturb you Flicker,” Noctra said, pulling on Isabella’s lengthy tail before she could say anything else.

“Before you go...” Flicker started. “Do you happen to have a name?”

“Scootaloo,” Isabella quickly replied before Noctra could stop her.

“Scootaloo…why does that sound fam-“ Flicker stopped mid-sentence, his muzzle scrunching up even as Noctra hurried Isabella out of the house.

Flicker stared at the door the mares had left through, stunned by what he had learned. The only sound he registered at first was the soft tick of the clock’s gears, indicating the passing of time as he stood motionless. Soon though, he began to hear his own frustrated snorts as his rage boiled over.

“How….how….HOW IS SHE STILL ALIVE!?” Flicker’s hoof connected with the wall, splintering the wood with ease.

“No, it’s a trick…unless….” Flicker’s eyes widened as he realized who exactly Scootaloo was. “Just when I thought that bumbling monkey couldn’t reach further under my coat, he proves me wrong!”

“Why, though, why in Celestia’s name would he adopt a filly?” Flicker stormed off towards his study. “Not that it matters, it simply means I have unfinished business to take care of now.”

The pegasus’s tail flicked in agitation as he tried to figure out how to sort through his predicament. He couldn’t go after the human the same way he had gone about cleaning up his past. No, he would require a more cunning approach. Even if he was a simpleton, he wasn’t as predictable as a regular denizen of Equestria.

“I swore I wouldn’t stop until I was clear of my past, free from my family’s cruel manipulations. Even after his death, she didn’t want to honor the traditions our families stood beside so valiantly,” Flicker fumed. “But you would settle for a common guard over me.”

Flicker stared hatefully at Summer Stars’ picture, his heart hardening as his anger mounted within him. He scooped up the photo of the mare and his brother, his hoof shaking with bitter rage. He regarded the photo only a few seconds longer, before tossing it into his fireplace, snarling even as the photo burned.

“Unfortunately for you, Daniel, you’ve inherited my vendetta,” Flicker said coldly. "The question now is how best to deal with you and your pseudo offspring?"

The picture disintegrated completely within the all-consuming flames. Flicker found it poetically fitting, since it was the same way the real Summer Stars left this world. The longer he stared at the growling flames, the darker his thoughts became; a horrible contrast to the light the fire provided for the room.

Flicker turned away, only for his eyes top fall on his own racing trophies. They had once filled him with joy, now they only reminded him of how he couldn't hope to catch Daniel in a standard race. This thought made Flicker's eyes widen, finally forcing a smile across his muzzle, a cruel smile.

"With Impulse's help, I believe this season will be the best ever," Flicker chuckled. "It's going to end with a bang."

---

Scootaloo found herself unable to sleep the night following her family's return from Las Pegasus. Whether it was too hot, too cold, or the bed sheets not adjusted just right, the filly couldn't reach the safe haven of her dreams.

With a sigh, Scootaloo sat up, looking over at the picture of her with her parents. Stormwalker was still inside Cloudchaser at the time. She regretted having wanted to come along with her mom and dad now. She had wanted to see Lean Streak one last time. Even though her dad told her that he wasn't really there.

Scootalo hugged the picture of her family close, fearful that if she let go some cruel spell would take them from her. The sound of a brief tap against her window made her jump, her tiny wings keeping her airborne for a few seconds before she gently floated back down onto the soft surface of her bed.

Scootaloo stared at her window, heart hammering against her chest. The faint tapping sound came again, this time though she caught a glimpse of the source of the noise, as a tiny pebble bounced off her window. The filly let out a sigh of relief, having a fairly good guess as to who it was calling for her.

A quick glance out the window confirmed her suspicions, it was Star Sprint. The colt had snuck out again, which had become a regular event as of late. Scootaloo found this side of him appealing, even if he was a bit of a push over at times.

"Oh, um, hey Scootaloo," Star Sprint said, idly digging the wheel of his scooter into the soft earth by pushing the top bar left and right.

"Hey, sneaking out again?" Scootaloo asked.

"Kind of, I couldn't sleep," Star Sprint confessed.

"Neither could I," Scootaloo sighed hanging her forelegs over the window frame with a huff.

"Wanna go for a ride?" Star Sprint offered. "Maybe it'll help?"

Scootaloo’s ears perked up at the colt’s offer, it had been a while since just the two of them had gone on a ride, but never one at night. The itch in her wing’s muscles had already provided her an answer to the colt’s question.

The filly quietly retrieved her scooter and pushed it through the window, where it was caught in Star Sprint’s magical aura. Scootaloo soon followed, landing softly on the ground next to her unicorn friend. Once both were ready, the foals quietly snuck out onto the road where they became blurs of speed.

Scootaloo and Star Sprint raced through the streets, smiles slowly spreading across both their muzzles. Both made incredibly sharp turns, as they raced with no clear destination in mind, simply enjoying the moment and trying to bury their sorrow. Their idea seemed to work, for a while anyway.

Eventually their emotions caught up with them once more, bringing them to a halt beneath a large tree in the park. It’s branches and leafs served as a canopy from the moon light, with only a few beams slipping through. The steady chirping of both distant and nearby crickets served as the perfect ambiance.

“Well,” Star Sprint panted. “That was fun.”

“Heh, yeah, you’re getting faster,” Scootaloo said, looking out at the night sky.

“You still miss him, huh?” Star Sprint asked.

“Yeah...I guess it will take a while to get over it,” Scootaloo sighed.

Both of the foals sat in silence as the crickets continued their stead tune. Despite the sad circumstances that had brought both of them together tonight, neither one could deny how pleasant the scene around them was.

Scootaloo looked over at Star Sprint, whose eyes had drifted up towards the star filled sky. She felt lucky to have a friend like him. He wasn’t like the other colts that were totally into their own gusto or feats. He cared about others, and didn’t mind spending time with her when Apple Bloom or Sweetie Belle were busy.

As she dwelt on her thoughts, she noticed a cricket land on the colt’s nose. Instead of flick it off, he smiled, his eyes crossing slightly to try and focus on the small insect. The sight made Scootaloo giggle, causing the bug to leap onto the soft grass beside him.

“Star Sprint,” Scootaloo spoke up, gaining the colt’s attention.

“Yea-“ Star Sprint was silenced as he turned into Scootaloo’s waiting lips.

The filly had seen her mom do something similar to her dad several times. She would always start with his name, only to cut off any response he had with a quick kiss. It worked flawlessly every time, even if they seemed to be having a disagreement, or were feeling bad.

Scootaloo opened one eye slightly, noting that Star Sprint’s ears were at attention, eyes wide in shock. If it hadn’t been for his flushed cheeks she would have assumed she had messed up somehow. The kiss lasted for only a few seconds before she pulled away, feeling confident she had made her claim.

“Thanks for tonight,” Scootaloo smiled. “I should probably head back though, if Stormwalker wakes up my parents, then I might have some explaining to do if they decide to check on me.”

“I….uh,” Star Sprint stammer as Scootaloo got back onto her scooter.

“Later,” Scootaloo said before speeding off, her cheeks burning with an accompanying smile once she was a good distance from the colt.

Star Sprint halfheartedly waved as she sped off into the night. As the realization of what had just happened sank in, his ears began to droop, while a dopey grin formed across his muzzle.

“So that’s what a kiss is,” Star Sprint whispered to himself.

Author's Note:

It was hard to write this chapter for both personal reasons, and feels in general. Thank you for reading, and thoughts are appreciated.