• Published 24th May 2012
  • 3,807 Views, 160 Comments

Play Me a Love Song - Systemfail



A Twinyl fic.... With maybe a bit of a one-sided TwiPie. Why not?

  • ...
5
 160
 3,807

The DJ and the Diva

Time all but slowed down for Vinyl Scratch. Sure, she wasn't dancing in the most romantic way, but what else could she do at a club? There was something... Different about Twilight tonight, and Vinyl loved every single thing about it. She danced for what seemed like forever, but the clock only showed twenty minutes had passed. Twenty minutes... "Oh Horseapples!"

Vinyl gave her marefriend a quick kiss before running off. "I'll see you later, Twi'!" Vinyl could have sworn she heard a small cheer every time she kissed Twilight, but she was used to crowds watching her. Vinyl let out an audible sigh. After seeing Twilight, Vinyl was just tempted to leave early, but she knew she had fans waiting on her. "Back to work, then."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night dragged on as Vinyl watched her marefriend enjoy herself on the dance floor. As the hours dragged on, more and more ponies left the dance floor, until the only ponies left in the club itself were Twilight, Vinyl, and a few less-than-sober stallions, and a zebra who was beyond hammered. 'Is that a zebra? Wait.... Is that zebra dancing with a stop sign?' The tired DJ thought to herself, but she quickly dismissed it. Around that time, Vinyl decided it was time to wrap up for the night. Sure, it was an hour or two early, but it seemed like everypony had somewhere to be.

The music soon ended, and Twilight, to Vinyl's surprise, ran up to Vinyl, embracing her in a kiss. It wasn't a long kiss, but it sure was passionate. Vinyl looked at the lavender mare before her, the deep violet mane, the sweat dripping off her coat, the way her frazzled hair was in her face. Even after a night of non-stop dancing, Twilight still managed to have a look of beauty and serenity. 'She's perfect.'

The bookworm hugged the white unicorn in front of her, "Vinyl! That was amazing! I mean... Wow! I never knew how much fun this was! The music was amazing, the dancing was fun, and.. and.."

"And you're sober this time!" Vinyl teased. "I'm glad you had a great time, Twi', but I'm exhausted, let's go get some sleep, yeah?"

"Alright, but shouldn't we make sure these two leave okay?" Twilight pointed her hoof towards a white pegasus, who could have easily been mistaken for Vinyl's brother due to his two-toned blue mane,dragging an unconscious zebra out of the club. "I didn't even know there were other zebras around Ponyville..."

Vinyl chuckled at her marefriend. Those two had been showing up almost every night since the club opened. The zebra and the stallion were quite popular. "Eh, they're fine. Like that almost every night. Not sure why, but that pegasus over there still doesn't have a cutie mark. He gets so much attention over it. His name's Photo, or Snapshot, or something like that. The stop sign is new though."

The two mares made their way out of the club as janitor ponies worked hard to clean up the mess the crazy lot of ponies last night made. The companions made their way through the sleeping town, saying hello to the occasional passing pony, and soon got to a familiar house. Vinyl's horn lit up as she pulled a key out from under a nearby rock and unlocked the door. " Aaah," Vinyl was immediately relaxed when she stepped through the door. "Home sweet home! Come on in, Twi'. I'll crash on the couch tonight."

The lavender mare looked at Vinyl as she jumped on to the nearby couch, "Oh no you don't! There's plenty of room for the both of us in your bed!" Twilight watched as a purple aura surrounded Vinyl, who was soon lifted in to the air. "Now you're coming with me."

"Wh- What do you think you're doing?" Vinyl said as she struggled to get free of her marefriend's grasp as she was dragged up the stairs. "I don't like being picked up!" The DJ watched her captor giggle as she opened the door to Vinyl's room. "I'm so going to get you back for this." Vinyl crossed her hooves and feigned dismay as she was neatly set on the bed, and soon tackled by Twilight, who was blushing deeply.

Vinyl looked at the mare before her, she almost felt a tear in her eye as she remembered how she treated her marefriend earlier that day. "Twilight, I'm sorry. I shouldn't of over reacted like I did earlier..."

"It's okay, Vinyl. You don't need to explain yourself. Y'know, Vinyl, the night IS still young." Twilight winked at Vinyl, "And I don't think I'm tired enough to go to sleep." The unicorn giggled as she kissed the still surprised mare, and turned off the lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Urgh! Every night!" A mare complained, after being woken up for the umpteenth time that night. "Every night with this dreadful sound!" She stepped out of her posh bed and turned on the lights as she made her way to an open window, quickly shutting it with more than necessary force. "Do those uncouth ponies ever sleep?"

The mare turned back to bed, her purple mane still perfectly styled after tossing and turning all night. "If they think they'll get away with robbing my of my beauty sleep every night, they have another thing coming." The mare slid back under the covers, careful not to ruffle the sheets, and fell back asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So," Vinyl levitated a piece of apple pie to her mouth and took a bite. "what are the plans for today?"

The mare across the table from Vinyl pulled out a checklist, "First, we have breakfast...Check. Then we go meet Rarity... Then we get some lunch... Then I need to get back to studying for a while. That means I'll be busy for the next couple days." Twilight and Vinyl shared a frown. "Don't worry, I'll still try to sneak off to your club every once and a while!"

"Alright.. I guess." Vinyl cheered up as she levitated her and Twilight's dishes to the sink. "I'll get those later. So who's this Rarity pony? Would I have seen her around the club?"

Twilight laughed at Vinyl's question. "Rarity? Go to a night club? Good luck with that! She'll barely go to Pinkie's parties!" Twilight sat up and started out the door. "Come on, I'll tell you about her on the way."

The two mares trotted down the streets of Ponyville. "Rarity," Twilight started, "Is sort of the opposite of you. She's... Well... In a word, snooty. I mean, don't get me wrong! She's a really nice pony, but she can be a little... Uptight."

"So she works at the boutique by the club, right?"

"Well, she lives there to. Oh, and just try not to get caught up as a living mannequin. When I first met her she spent hours finding the right 'look' for me."

Soon after, the two mares arrived at a large building. The boutique it self looked like it was straight out of a child's storybook. It had two large oval windows with yellow curtains on the other side of the glass, and a large white and purple checkered roof, followed by a large yellow tip with a flag on it. Twilight knocked a few times, only to hear a familiar voice on the other side of the purple door.

"The boutique is closed today! Please come back tomorrow!" Said a demanding, yet somehow regal voice.

"Rarity, it's Twilight! I want you to meet somepony!" Twilight shouted at the door, and she soon heard hoofsteps coming towards the door. It swung open to reveal a unicorn with quite the uniquely styled mane. Vinyl thought she looked like something out of a magazine.

"Oh, hello darling! It's been ages since you stepped out of that tree of yours just to stop and say hello!" Said the posh unicorn as she hugged her long-time friend. "Twilight, please come in! Oh, and you! Miss..."

"Oh, I'm Vinyl Scratch... Nice to meet you." Vinyl said as she shook Rarity's hoof.

"The pleasure's all mine, dear! Any friend of Twilight is a friend of mine! I simply love your mane! You must let me style it!" Vinyl looked at Twilight who was desperately shaking her head 'no' behind Rarity.

"I'll, uhh... have to take you up on that offer some other time. Thanks, though." The three mares made their way inside. They crossed countless fabrics along the floor, mannequins askew here and there, but the boutique was still quite clean.

"Please forgive the mess, darling. I've just been so exhausted I haven't had time to clean up!"

"Exhausted? Do you have a big order to fill or something, Rarity?" Twilight started to notice how tired the mare actually did look. It wasn't exhaustion, as she would say, or even too little sleep, but she definitely wasn't getting her 12 hours of beauty sleep.

"No, darling, it's that party club, or whatever it's called, down the street! It's-" Rarity's tirade was interrupted by a more than proud Vinyl Scratch.

"It's awesome, right? You can thank me for that. Thanks to me, that old dusty building, whatever it was, turned in to the most kickin' club in all of Equestria!"

"What? Surely you don't go to that dreaded place!" Rarity said, shocked. "Here I thought you were such a nice pony."

"You have a problem with my club? It's really not so bad. I mean, I'm sure we can work something ou-"

"Leave this place! You have done quite enough to me with your precious 'club'!" It was easy to see that Rarity was angry, possibly more so than Twilight had ever seen. "Twilight, come back when you aren't with this miscreant!"

"Rarity," Twilight started, "Don't you think you're over reacting a little?"

"Over reacting? I've been losing countless hours of sleep ever since that monstrosity was built!" Twilight and Vinyl both felt a wave of magic wash over them as they were pushed towards the door. "I won't be happy until my petition to get that horrible place turned down is passed!" The door slammed behind the two surprised mares.

"So, uh... Is she always like this?" Vinyl said, rubbing the back of her head with her hoof. Vinyl looked over to see Twilight with the expression of utter terror on her face. "Twi'? You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just... She's never treated anypony like that... I'm sorry.." Twilight looked at the ground for a moment, she felt a tear come on, but she felt the feeling vanish faster than it appeared when Vinyl nuzzled her.

"It's okay, Twilight. I get that a lot. It comes with the job. I promise I'm not mad, and who knows? Once Rarity cools down, I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe I can even make a regular club goer out of her!"

Twilight giggled at her marefriend. "Thanks, Vinyl. I can always count on you. It's only been a few days, but I feel like I've known you forever." A list appeared in front of Twilight and Vinyl, along with a quill. Twilight used the quill to check off, 'Go visit Rarity.' "Next we have... Lunch! I know this really good place right down the road! After that I have so much stuff to catch up on..."

"Yeah," Vinyl sighed, "and I should probably get unpacked... Those boxes have been sitting there forever. Alright, so what's this place called?"

"Oh, it's actually a food stand I found a few weeks ago, but it makes really good sweets! It's even better than the Apples' pie! Oh," Twilight's face went straight, "and never let me figure out you told Applejack I said that. She'll get so competitive with that stand she'd probably end up running it out of business."

The thought of Applejack mad at somepony made Vinyl giggle. "She isn't that bad, I'm sure! So... A stand that sells pies?"

"It isn't too uncommon around here, actually. Ponies bake what they can in the morning, then come sell them in the day." The two ponies approached the marketplace as Twilight explained. "See?"

Vinyl could see ponies selling things of all sorts. There was a section for Vegetables, some ponies were setting up stands for music, and there were even a few stands just selling what looked like random odds and ends they found at their house. "Do ponies really make a living like this?"

"Well, not all of them. Sometimes ponies can rent out a stand for the day, or bring their own and set up. I did it once for a book sale... I was surprised when it didn't go so well... Anyways, today seems a little bit more busy than usual."

The two mares walked through the Ponyville marketplace, a few ponies recognized Twilight as the crazy pony she was at the club. A lot more recognized Vinyl Scratch, though. Which could be expected, seeing as she's the DJ of a club that's spiraling in to popularity. A few even asked Twilight where she got her 'cool glasses'. She seemed to be avoiding the questions, though. 'Why can't she just say that I gave them to her? Is she afraid to say it?' Vinyl shrugged off the thought. She could talk to her about it later.

After a long walk, some compliments on her music, and few complaints on it, Vinyl finally figured out why this stand was worth the hassled walk. "This," Vinyl took another bite of her cherry pie, "Is the best thing I ever tasted! I thought I'd be burned out on pie after breakfast, but I feel like I could eat one of these for every meal!"

The two mares carried on their conversation as they trotted down the roadside of Ponyville, until they reached the large hallowed out tree that Twilight calls home. "So," Vinyl started, "I guess this is goodbye for a few days, huh?" As Vinyl muttered those words, she realized how much of a pain it would be without seeing Twilight all the time. She had been at her side for the better part of a week.

"Well, I guess you don't have to leave just yet.. I could stay up a little later tonight. C'mon in! I'm sure you're at least a little thirsty from eating a whole pie. I'll make us some tea!" Twilight opened the door to the library, just as she left it. "I bet Spike hasn't even gotten out of bed yet." The lavender mare ran upstairs, only to soon reappear with a purple and green blob behind her. "Spike! Wake up, It's already past noon!"

"Wha? The baby dragon woke up to find himself on the ground. "What's the deal, Twi'?" Spike got up, looking slightly disgruntled.

"The deal is that you almost slept through the whole day! It's not good for you, Spike. Go wash up and I'll make you something to eat." Twilight attempted to put on a stern face, but she couldn't help but smile and hug the dragon. "You are just a baby dragon, after all."

"Yeah, yeah. Make me some waffles, will ya?" Defeated, Spike walked back up the stairs to do his morning routine.

The little display itself wasn't out of the usual for Twilight, but she always liked the look on her number one assistant's face. "Never could replace him..."

"Y'know, Twilight..." Vinyl started, giggling at the way she treated Spike, "You'd make a good mom."

"Me? W-what? No way." Twilight's quickly recovered from from Vinyl's comment. "But that does remind me, next month I'm going to Canterlot to visit my parents and Princess Celestia. Do you want to come? I'm sure they'd all like to meet you."

The two mares walked in to the kitchen and Twilight pulled out a tea kettle and a waffle iron, along with a container filled with batter from the refrigerator. "I don't know, Twi, I don't know what would be harder. Meeting the Princess, or meeting my Marefriend's parents. I'll have to close down the club for a few days... I-"

"Pleaaaase?" Twilight did her best to put on a sad face, which always worked wonders when Rarity did it. "I'll be so lonely if you don't come..."

Vinyl let out an audible sigh. "Fine, I'll go. I'll just need to make sure everypony knows I'm closing the club for a little. Hey, I've been wondering... Where did you get a baby dragon from?" Vinyl found herself wondering what a dragon was doing in a library last time.

"Oh, I get that a lot." Twilight hummed to herself as she picked up the whistling tea kettle, and set the last waffle on a plate, now making a stack of at least six. "That's actually how I got to know Celestia. When I was just a filly, my parents tried to enroll me in Celestia's school for gifted unicorns. The entrance exam was to hatch a dragon's egg." Twilight continued with her story as she and her marefriend sat down at the table, sipping her tea.

"And that's how I ended up being accepted in to the academy, got my cutie mark, and met Celestia. Spikes been my assistant ever since." Twilight levitated her and Vinyl's now empty cups to the sink.

"Well, I guess I better go. I don't want to keep you from studying. Thanks for the lunch, Twi'!" Vinyl headed out the door, but soon found herself being dragged back towards Twilight.

"Oh no you don't! You can't leave, not without this." Twilight pulled Vinyl's lips up against hers.

The two mares just sat there, their lips interlocked, Vinyl's tongue struggling for dominance against Twilight's. "Umm..." The two mares jumped back to see Spike standing a few feet away from them.

"I...uuuh... I better go! See ya, Twi'!" As if to intentionally make the situation worse, Vinyl kissed Twilight on the cheek before dashing out the door. Leaving a confused dragon, and a blushing mare.

(A/N: It's here! It's here! So A LOT of shit happened, recently, making it so I couldn't write. About time I got back to it, huh? I wan't to thank you guys for being so patient, and I think I'm going to end this story either next chapter or the one after that. On a side note: Many of you know Photo Journal, Lunar Justice, and I are working on a compilation project, which will be started soon, but I'd like to welcome the infamous Dark0592 to the project! I can't wait to work with these people, so keep an eye out for the story on his page!)

P.S.: Forgive the mistakes, it's been a long night. If you see any feel free to leave a comment or pm me!

See you guys next time,

Systemfail