• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 1,561 Views, 25 Comments

Red Dead ReDerption - CompleteChaos21



Gunslinger Joan Derpston returns to Frontier Equestria to kill her old friends or lose the last thing she has to fight for in her life, her daughter.

  • ...
5
 25
 1,561

Chapter 8: Must a Civilization Die

Chapter 8:

Sunlight creeping into the single window of her stone home, Joan opens her restless eyes, them both going in different directions. Fumbling out of her wooden bed she exited through the blue cloth, she finally noticed the design on it, Princess Celestia and…well she had never seen that blue pony before. Celestia was on the side with the sun and the other one was on the side of the moon. They were circling each other as if it wasn’t about picking which side of the flag you’re on. The blue pony looked like Lunar Ricketts. She also thought it looked more like Nightmare Moon. Not wishing to think much of it she pushed through and headed towards the Capitol.

------

Upon entering the gates of the government palace, a white unicorn stallion looked up from cleaning his mouth off with a towel. His eyes narrowed and a face of displeasure marked his muzzle, “What do you want, filly?”

Joan pushed the brim of her hat up, “I was told that me and Captain Redblood would be going on a mission today. A mission against those…those rebels.”

The unicorn stared threateningly at Joan, he nodded his head slightly and gold armored troops surrounded Joan. The familiar sounds of weapons being readied came from all around her, “What makes you think, we want your help.” Joan stares blankly forward at Redblood, he smiled…“BWAHAHAHA!” He burst into laughter, the guards around Joan lowered there weapons. “Oh!...haha…we had you there!”

“Yea, somewhere between the ‘I’m going to kill you’ stare and the armored guards armed to the wing with weapons. Yea you had me.” Joan said still staring blankly at the stallion.

“I am captain Redblood, and yes we do have a mission to go on. You arrived with impeccable timing.” He said as he looked at his empty plate that was on a table in the palace yard. “Let us go, the rest of the attack force will be waiting for us.”

The two of them walked out of the palace and Redblood started leading them to where the attackers would be waiting. Joan spoke, “My name is Joan Derpston.”

“Ah yes! Joan, I have heard a lot about you from Trixande and the letters that Celestia has sent us. This war down here, it will be a bloody job…”

Joan observed the dead and rocky landscape, “Yea, that’s the only kind of job I know.”

Captain Redblood let out a small chuckle, “It’s the only job there is now of days, Joan.” He sighed slightly, “Joan, my land is in pain. A terrible pain, the rebels take the people by the throats and strangle our way of life out of there bodies.”

Joan pulled the brim of her hat down, “I ain’t no politician, sir.”

“Neither am I, haha! But Colonel Trixande, she is trying her hardest to save our civilization, even if it means doing some strange things to get it done.” Redblood held his head up high much like Trixande had the other night.

“I ain’t much of a moralist, I just do what I think is right for me and my family. Which sadly has brought me here.” Joan sighed.

“Not much of a moralist yet you’re here searching for an outlaw doing your land a favor and you say you aren’t a moralist. Joan that sounds a bit oxymoronic if you ask me.”

“Like I said, doing what’s right for my family.” The two of them walked over a hill and a large group of gold armor clad pegasi and unicorns were waiting for them. “What is this…an invasion force?”

“It’s what we could muster, we don’t like being down on numbers.” Redblood raised his voice to call to the troops, “Sergeant Wing Rider are the soldiers ready.” A gold armored unicorn nodded at Captain Redblood. “Excellent, Joan, are you ready?” Joan tipped her hat respectfully. “Then let us begin our attack.”

The massive group of soldiers hustled forward; the rebel camp was very quite not a single pony could be seen. The large force snuck up to the walls around the city, some of the Pegasus soldiers flew up to the top of the walls. Joan followed suit. From atop the wall she could see the many small houses and tents lining the area. An armed mare stepped out of a tent; she leaped to her back hooves and stretched her body out. The pegasi on the wall quickly and quietly dropped to the ground behind some tents. The mare that had come out had dropped back to all 4 hooves and was now walking about the camp. Before Joan knew it, a pegasus flew quickly towards the wandering mare and carried her over to the rest of them. From there she was gagged and tied, the missions first capture. As they threw the mare over some other ponies emerged from there tents. In other words, some ponies saw us throw that mare overboard.

“HEY STOP THEM!” The loud outburst awoke the entire camp, but everypony round would be up after this. BANG! Joan had drawn her revolver and fired the first shot. The pegasi took cover and the rest of the force stormed in. In a matter of minutes the rebel force had been decimated, the Celestian Army soldiers outnumbered them 4 to 1. Dead ponies lined the ground; a small pile of mares and stallions that had been tied up were being gathered by the soldiers.

Redblood trotted towards the group that had gathered, “Excellent.” Turning to Joan he said, “Thank you for your assistance, Joan. These prisoners will be our first attempt at finding the outlaw you’re looking for. You have done a great deal for Nuevo Equestria; will your skills be available for future use?”

Joan tipped her hat and began to walk out of the village, before leaving she turned and said, “Until I’m dead or Schizo is. I’ll be here.” She then continued forward.

-----

“I know you are there!” The cowmare yelled out standing her ground with a determined scowl. “And I’d appreciate it if ya’d stop following me…”

The wind blew into Joan’s mane, a stallions voice spoke from behind her. “We follow you because we know of you.” Joan whipped around and pulled her revolver out. A grey stallion stood, smiling. “Joan we need your help.”

“That’s funny.” Joan physically began to laugh; she had never experienced such a strange statement that was meant for her. “You need my help! Are ya forcin’ me to do this or is it my choice.” She tipped her hat up and relinquished the scowl from her face. She was more amused than anything now.

“Well it depends. Would you like us to help you find this outlaw we have heard you’re looking for?” Joan’s gaze turned serious.

“What do you need me for?” Joan replied.

“In an attack simultaneously employed to the one you were at. Our leader, Rarity Reyes was captured and taken to El Caballo. We are asking for your help to set her free. Without her our fight is meaningless!” The grey stallion approached Joan, but before he was close to her Joan shouted.

“Take me to El Caballo then.”

-----

‘I have never seen a rock this dreadful.’ Joan thought as she and the small group of rebels climbed up the large mountain side that El Caballo rested on. The walls of El Caballo were nothing like Fort Cloudsdale’s, Caballo was a solid stone structure, some small towers dotted its structure and a small campfire was alive in the fort. The group reached the top of the mountain; they were at the back side of the fort. Small chunks of the wall had been blown out by attacks on the fort.

“These holes were created by changeling attacks.” The grey stallion whispered.

“Changelings?” Joan whispered back, she had never heard of them before.

“Ugly bug-like pony creatures that feed off of your emotions for strength. It’s kinda scary when you think about it.” He pointed a hoof towards the even more disgusting and worst looking land to the south of them. “That there is the Badlands, the changeling homeland.”

“Even your enemies can be an ally at times.” A shiny silver coated mare said.

A wail came from inside the fort. “THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST FABULOSITY!” Joan and the others quickly flooded through the holes in the walls. No pony had spotted them; in fact they were all paying attention to the mare who was tied to the wall. “Ugh! I mean what were you thinking. These ropes don’t match the wall at all, the prisoner garb is an atrocious color, it’s musty and dirty out here, and P-LEASE! The rusty gold armor is really the biggest crime out here.” A white coated unicorn with curly purple hair cried out, whining like a little filly although much to her own pleasure it was annoying her kidnappers thoroughly.

“That is Miss Reyes.” Rarity Reyes was a very fine looking young mare, she couldn’t have been a year or so younger then Joan. Considering that she had gotten pregnant with Jackie not long after reaching marehood. “Joan.” The grey stallion pointed a hoof to the farthest tower of the fort. “Can you sneak around the fort and get into that tower. There is a guard up there; he should have a scoped rifle.”

Joan looked towards the tower, it would require some silence and craft to reach it by flying, but she believed she could do it. “I can do it.” She said with confidence thick in her voice.

“Good, we will wait till you fire, take out the guard closest to Miss Reyes and we will try to pick off the rest. Keep us covered though…and good luck.” The stallion nodded at her and they moved through the inner fort walls. Joan pushed her hair under her hat and forcibly straightened her eyes. This would require concentration and stealth. She slipped through the hole in the wall and around towards the tower.

She pressed her back to the cold stone wall, the sun was setting. She took a deep breath then began to slowly fly up the side of the tower. She reached the top and slowly she peeked above the wall at the guard. He was resting his head on his hoof and he stared carelessly at the interrogation going on below. Joan pulled the knife from her satchel and wrapped her hoof carefully around it. She floated over towards him, a nervous pressure built up in Joan. She landed quietly behind him and…she pulled the guards shoulder which flipped him over to facing Joan, she quickly thrusted the knife in between his helmet and his chest plate. The guard shook for a little bit before he ceased to move anymore. She slid her knife back into her satchel and grabbed the rifle the guard had been carrying. Taking a deep breath she looked into the dirty scope. Through the scope Joan saw that the fort had only been occupied by 5 guards. The rebels outnumbered the army soldiers. The wind blew lightly into Joan’s mane relaxing her, calming her. The last bit of sunlight glared off of the glass scopes as the moon began to rise behind her. BANG!

Rarity Reyes smiled as the guard in front of her collapsed, “Now it begins!” She shouted determinedly. Another gunshot sounded off and another one of the guards fell. Joan took a second shot and another guard lay dead. One of the guards panicked and ran for the shadows in an attempt to hide. But a second later she was thrown back into the fray, the difference being her hooves were tied up. Miss Reyes smiled once more, “And now it.”

“Ends!” Joan interrupted Rarity and fired her revolver into the last guard’s eye. The wind grew quiet and silence ravaged the area until Miss Reyes spoke up.

“Silver Shot be a dear and untie these ropes on me. My legs are starting to cramp.” The grey stallion who had first approached Joan trotted up to there leader. Easy and delicately he gripped a knife into his mouth and gently cut down the white coated mare. Looks of both caring and admiration fueled a whole hearted smile on his face. Rarity spoke again, “Most excellent work Lt. Silver Shot. Or now I should say Colonel Silver Shot. You and the others stay here and defend El Caballo till I send a flyer this way. Joan, would you kindly escort me to Reyes Manor. It’s not far from where you are presiding.” Joan simply tipped her hat. Rarity then nodded at Silver Shot and the 2 left the fort.

-----

Now that they were walking Joan took note of Miss Reyes more unique features. She was skinnier than most of the other mares she had encountered and her eyes had make-up on them, which had smeared down her face now. Underneath her left eye was a harsh red scar, a cut of some sorts. Since leaving El Caballo she had stripped off her dirty prisoner garb and slipped into her more comfortable and stylish poncho as she had said while they were walking earlier. Another thing Joan noticed was Rarity Reyes’ cutie mark. A red diamond that dripped down her flank. It scared her. But behind the dripping diamond was a bright light, a shine of beauty and hope.

“Darling, your shooting back there was excellent and even though my poncho is the height of Nuevo Equestrian fashion I must say! That coat looks stunning on you.” Miss Reyes said with an honest astonishment in her voice. “The hats a little dated but it fits with the style you have so all in all I approve of your uniform.”

“Miss Reyes, I didn’t know I was walking with you to have your fashion view imposed upon me.” Joan said with an honest bitterness.

“No, no, no dear! I only wish to compliment your obvious northern taste in fashion…ugh, I assume business is what you wish to discuss.”

Joan cracked a deviant smile, “And my business is my priority. You are going to help me track down the criminal who is hiding in this area. Her name is Schizo and the longer she is here, the more danger my daughter is put in.”

Rarity placed a hoof on her muzzle, she was deep in thought. “Now I have heard that name before. Hmm, well you could help me carry out a plan I’ve had for a while. You see our spies are good. But the Lunar Republic spies…are the best. If you can convince them to aide us I will have them spy on the Solar Empire’s officials for information to aide us and to aide you. Sound good darling?”

“Yes, it does sound good.”

-----

“Oh most excellent Joan!” Lunar Rickets shouted out with glee. “I’m so proud of thou!” She reached out her night colored arms and strangled Joan with a friendly hug.

“Ok…Lunar you’re…you’re…squishing me…!” Joan choked out while being squeezed. She let go. Joan gasped for a second welcoming in the musty air which had been compressed out of her. “If I keep playing my cards right I can have Schizo before any real war breaks out.” Joan removed her hat from her head. Her long blonde hair flung out and was soon captured by the cool breeze. It had been a long time since Joan had cut her hair.

Lunar gave a caring glance towards Joan, “Although this night is still young. Thou should be resting. It’s been a long day for you.” Joan looked towards her with a smile. She simply nodded between her half-closed and derpy eyes. Joan left the rooftop, Lunar Rickets looked around slowly as the midnight breeze quieted down. “Sleep well my little pony.”