• Published 21st May 2012
  • 2,853 Views, 339 Comments

True Black - Leonofsweden



Black Star is a rare talent in black magic. And she is on the verge of something amazing.

  • ...
15
 339
 2,853

Chapter 23 Sanctuary…

True Black
Chapter 23
Sanctuary…

17 of April

The winds howled around Lobo, Raven and Zig Zag as they struggled through the ever increasing snowfall. The further up amongst the mountains they pushed, the harsher the weather was becoming. It was, of course, no problem for Lobo or Raven; they both had fur and plumage to cope with the cold weather. But the same could not be said for little Zig Zag. The first problem was that his coat just wasn't thick or long enough to insulate him properly. And the second was his size; being only a small colt, Zig Zag´s body just wasn't big enough to retain body heat as effectively as his two companions. Not wanting to slow Lobo and Raven down, he kept quiet about it, but it became impossible to hide the fact when his teeth started clattering together uncontrollably.

Lobo finally understood what was happening. He tried to curl around Zig Zag to share his body heat, but Raven beat him to it. She embraced Zig Zag in a fierce hug and then tenderly wrapping her wings around them both, unable to suppress a little smile. Upon seeing his little pup glanced nervously, but appreciably, up at Raven, who was still looking fondly down at Zig Zag, Lobo had just smiled himself. Instead, he opted to settle down next to the two of them, effectively using his considerable bulk to shield the two youngsters from the frigid wind. They continued resting like this for a couple of hours until Zig Zag reluctantly confessed that he was finally warm again. After this little setback, Zig Zag had been made to ride Lobo for most of the time, where he could bury himself quite deeply into Lobo´s thick and insulating coat, only coming down when he finally grew too restless. Once on the ground, his pent-up energy would mostly be spent on generally annoy the Gryphoness now accompanying them. But no matter how fiercely Raven growled sometimes, one could still see she liked the attention Zig Zag was giving her.

During the time they had so far spent together, Zig Zag and Raven had clearly formed a very close friendship. Lobo would almost always see them right next to each other, and, when they weren't, they were always within visual range of the other. Which, of course, didn't limit Raven too much since her eyesight was incredible, so it was Zig Zag´s field of vision they went by. The only time they weren't close together was when Raven ventured out to scout the area around them.

The first night the three of them had spent recovering, had been a night of discovery. As the full moon rose, Lobo´s coat shifted into its glowing moon shining shade. This prompted shouts of surprise and delight from both Zig Zag and Raven, and even more so when they saw his wounds starting to close in front of their eyes. When Lobo found out he was actually glowing a bit, he was quite surprised himself. And relieved that he had learned of it now, instead of when he was sneaking up on something potentially dangerous.

The second thing they had discovered was just how good Raven was at manipulating items with her talons. Before Lobo or Zig Zag had even thought about it, Raven had gathered up the thick leather belts and daggers that formerly belonged to the three bandit brothers. She had then, under the curious attention of Lobo and Zig Zag, quickly turned two of the belts into a cross chested harness. To this harness she had secured the two best daggers they now possessed, their handles jutting out over either one of Zig Zag´s shoulders from his back, and within easy reach for him. After practicing furiously, he was now able to quickly draw and tuck the blades away again in a smooth quick motion. When Raven then offered to secure the last belt with several knives around Lobo´s midsection, she had been surprised by him declining the offer, making it quite clear the belt and knives would serve Raven much better than him. When she had been about to protest, by saying a male should always be armed, Lobo had wiggled his claws at Raven, showing that, even though they were quite dexterous, they would be nowhere near as efficient at handling the knives as her own talons would be. He had also told her that he trusted his own fangs more than he trusted any pony or Gryphon made weapon.

Raven was floored by the offer for her to arm herself in this way. Then, she once again realized that Lobo and Zig Zag probably didn't know the significance of what the gesture meant to a female Gryphon. Still, it showed they trusted her a lot even though they just met each other, and she vowed to herself that she would make sure she was worthy of the trust.

This was one of the thoughts running through Raven's head while she was returning from one of her scouting trips. She was just about to descend down and scared the bejesus out of Zig Zag, when a flash of reflective light caught her eye just off to the left of where Zig Zag and Lobo were walking; well Lobo was walking, Zig Zag was stubbornly burrowing through the snow beside him. Raven’s attention, however, was firmly on a small wing of five well armored Gryphons who were attentively watching Lobo and Zig Zag walking past beneath them from a ledge. The wind was in their favor, so Lobo would not be able to pick up their scent. Raven started to carefully descend towards them, when one of the Gryphons produced a bow and took careful aim towards Lobo. Icy lines of fear latched themselves around Raven's heart and, before she knew what she was doing, Raven was dive-bombing towards the whole wing of Gryphons, with a knife held at the point of the blade. She knew she would not make it in time, so she threw the knife with all her strength, aiming for the Gryphon with a bow. Lucky for her, she was not proficient enough with knives yet to hit what she was aiming at, at least not while travelling at such speeds she was at that moment. The knife slammed into the earth just in front of the Gryphon aiming at her friends. He and the rest of the wing reared back, squawking in anger and surprise. Raven slammed down moments later, spreading her wings in a defensive posture, while she glared at them.

“I will not allow you to harm the one who claims me!” Raven squawked fiercely at them, while she tried to keep her anger out of her voice, but failing. The five Gryphons all stared back at her slack-jawed, then the one with a bow, the leader she presumed, got a very flustered and angry expression. Raven had emphasized the importance that Zig Zag openly laid claim to her whenever they met other Gryphon's. Or else it would be within their rights to just take her away with them. Reluctantly, Zig Zag and Lobo had agreed to go along with what they thought was a rather condescending practice.

“Move aside female! Or I will have you beaten between the wings until you can´t fly for a month!” the lead Gryphon roared at her. As an answer, Raven retrieved her thrown dagger from the earth and held it out in front of her at the ready. The four males took this as a great offence from her, so each one drew their scimitars simultaneously, while the single female Gryphon with them was still just staring at Raven from behind them, completely bewildered by her behavior. Just as the four males were about to move in on the troublesome girl, she could feel a presence at her back, and she drew a relieved breath as Lobo's massive shadow seemed to fill up space between her and the advancing Gryphons, who had all just stopped dead in their tracks. A deep growl now filled the air; to any of the other Gryphons it was a sound that filled their hearts with dread. To Raven, it was a sound that made her feel giddy with joy: Lobo and Zig Zag had arrived. And she knew, with all her heart, that now nothing could threaten her without paying a dire price for it.

“Are you okay Raven?” Lobo´s fearsome voice asked in a rasping growl.

“Yes… I’m fine,” Raven said without letting her eyes leave the five Gryphons in front of her. Zig Zag landed beside Raven with one of the daggers firmly clenched between his teeth. He looked at the Gryphon's in front of him; they were all wearing finely made plate armor, the weight of which would have made it more or less impossible for any Pegasus to fly. The only one who had leather armor on was the female Gryphon at the back, apparently not worthy of having the same protection as her male counterparts.

“Who are these guys? They don't look like the bandits we killed earlier,” Zig Zag asked Raven. This statement made the Gryphon's in front of them take a somewhat more defensive stance, while they studied the three strangers in front of them.

“There well armored, so I'd say they are most likely the warriors of a nearby village. But if that's the case, I don't know what they're doing all the way out here,” Raven proclaimed loudly.

“Quite girl! You do not speak without permission in the presence of males. So shut up, or I will have you beaten senseless once we've brought you back to the village!” the bow carrying Gryphon roared at her.

“You can touch me! I'm already claimed!” Raven spat back in defiance. Once again surprising the five Gryphons who just couldn’t believe the nerve of this girl, to speak against a male in such a fashion.

“I see no one with the rights to claim you, girl! Now get over here and be quite!” he spat back. Immediately, a deep rumbling growl once again started to emit from Lobo while Zig Zag jumped out in front of Raven.

“You won't lay a claw on Raven! If you even try, I'll slit your throat!” Zig Zag yelled at the Gryphon's in front of him. The lead Gryphon laughed out loud, as he reared up so he could freely aim his bow at Zig Zag.

“You're challenging me to the right of claim? You're not even a Gryphon! But if you like, I'll take you on. I think it will be good for you to learn some manner,” the lead Gryphon said with a sinister look in his eyes. Zig Zag smiled, this was exactly what they wanted. Raven had told them that they would most likely have to defend their rights to keep her, and that the challenge would most likely be issued towards Zig Zag. But, since Lobo had adopted him, he would, according to Gryphon law, have the right to take Zig Zag´s place in a challenge for claim.

“I accept!” Zig Zag said fiercely. The lead Gryphon raised an eyebrow at this, clearly not expecting an acceptance of the challenge. Finally, he gave a little chuckle when he understood this was actually happening.

“Very well… I'll teach you a lesson you will not soon forget pony!” the lead Gryphon said, handing his bow and scimitar over to the Gryphon next to him and then stepped out in front of the group spreading his wings in a threatening display. Raven had removed Zig Zag´s daggers. All fights for claim of a female were fought unarmed. The general consensus being that no female could ever be worth the loss of a male. Despite this, death still occurred from time to time. Just as Zig Zag was about to step forward, Lobo's growl could be heard from behind.

“You cowardly! Challenging my pup while I stand here! And in full armor while he is wearing nothing but a weapon harness!” Lobo growled at the Gryphon leader. This caught all of the Gryphons off-guard, and they started looking repeatedly from the little blue pony to the enormous black Wolf.

“Very funny, Wolf… I will, however, allow you to take the pony’s place, since he is obviously rather outmatched… and I do not have proof to disclaim your parenthood of him, though I highly doubt it,” the Gryphon replied with a sneer.

“It's true. Lobo is Zig Zag´s father.” Raven stated calmly, while Zig Zag burst out in a wide grin, showing off his canines to the now stunned Gryphons. They were, of course, not real; Zig Zag had filed his own teeth in a fit of desperation, trying to escape the pain in his soul by flooding his mind with pain from something else. It had all happened while he tried to come to grips with the loss of his mother. Although, Zig Zag have slowly come to realise that he never truly will be able to do so. But the Gryphon´s didn't know that his canines weren’t real from birth, and they now seemed to give Lobo´s claim some real weight behind it.

Lobo walked out to stand in front of the Gryphon challenger. Rising up to his full height, Lobo stared at the Gryphon, clearly relishing the upcoming fight. The lead Gryphon squawked in anger, showing he would have rather taken the female from the little pony instead. Slowly, the two combatants started to circle each other. The remaining Gryphons backed off, as did Zig Zag and Raven.

Lobo now truly looked at his adversary; he was much better equipped than any of the bandits they had fought a couple of days ago, and in much better condition, with heavy muscle clearly visible. This lead Gryphon was wearing a large breastplate with attached shoulder pads covering his upper torso. Heavy plate mail shielded the outer and inner thighs of the lead Gryphon, the other Gryphons had chainmail leggings instead of plate. Once again excluding the female amongst them, who only wore leather. This meant the lead Gryphon would be very well protected, but it also meant he would tire quickly and be quite slow, or so Lobo hoped.

Suddenly, the Gryphon charged, slashing at Lobo with his right talon. Lobo slid below the strike like flowing water. Many of the Gryphons cheered as they thought the blow had actually connected, but the cheers got caught in their throats when Lobo´s teeth sunk into to neck of their leader just above the neck lining of his armor. But, to his credit, the Gryphon leader reacted fast and Lobo only came away with a few feathers between his teeth. But the message to the Gryphon leader was clear; I'm much faster than you! Lobo´s eyes were saying while he glared at the Gryphon and spat out his feathers on the snow covered ground.

“Not bad… I'll actually have to put some effort into this,” the Gryphon wing leader said with a huff, and started to prowl around Lobo in the other direction. Lobo just stood there, waiting for him, and it seemed to make the Gryphon quite agitated. A lone Wolf was supposed to run from any Gryphon in a fight, at least if they knew what was good for them. But since The Pack Lands was far from Feliniss, he had never fought or even seen a Wolf before. Although what he had heard didn't go too well with what was standing in front of him, he was definitely not supposed to be standing shoulder to shoulder with a Wolf. That much he knew. And who had ever heard of a Wolf mating with a pony? Something definitely wasn't right here and he didn't like it one bit.

The Gryphon had almost made a complete circle when he had finally had enough. Once again, he charged in towards Lobo, but this time he reared up on his hind legs, freeing both talons to slash at him. The Gryphon continued to stand like this, keeping its balance with the help of his wings. Lobo immediately recognized the fighting stance; it was the same one Bender had been using when they fought in Lightning Strikes camp. But the Gryphon was much more maneuverable when he stood like this, he was able to lean to impossible angles, only to recover with a couple of strokes of his wings. Lobo was now only able to concentrate on defenses. As strike after strike rained down towards him, he was barely able to dodge them all, some even gracing the fur on his head and shoulders.

Finally, Lobo got tired of it and decided to test the strength of the Gryphon. Catching either talon against each of his claws, they were now both standing on their hind legs while trying to push the other over backwards. Although the Gryphon did not possess the unbelievable strength that Bender had displayed, it soon became apparent that the Gryphon was still stronger. Both his bulk and the fact that he was wearing heavy armor, gave him a clear advantage Lobo could not counter. Slowly but surely, he was starting to get pushed back. He tried to pull away, but the Gryphon would not let go when it was so obvious he was surely going to win this contest. Lobo then remembered just what he had done with Bender to get out of a similar situation. Without any warning he quickly shifted from push to pull. Just like Bender, the Gryphon wing leader came flying towards him, unable to stop the momentum. Lobo rolled over on his back, and kicked straight up with his hindquarters, sending the Gryphon sailing through the air behind him. But, unlike Bender, the Gryphon leader just spun around in the air and came down on all fours, squawking angrily at him. Lobo only halfway through standing up himself, could only watch as the Gryphon wing leader came in an all-out charge, grinning viciously as he was convinced he was about to end this fight, and lay claim to the unusual looking female.

Lobo, however, immediately reacted as he had always done whenever facing an impossible situation; he attacked head on not caring what might happen to him. Catching the Gryphon completely off-guard, he took the wing leaders attack willingly, receiving long bloody furrows across his face for his trouble, the Gryphon only missing Lobo´s left eye with mere millimeters, as Lobo pushed his head through the grasping talons. As he came through, Lobo´s jaws closed around the Gryphon´s throat in a vice-like grip. The Gryphon could do nothing as Lobo pushed back with all his strength, toppling the Gryphon over on his back and slamming him down onto the ground in a loud clatter of armor and thrashing limbs. The Gryphon immediately seized Lobo´s upper and lower jaws and tried to pry them open, only for a warning growl to sound from the enormous Wolf.

“Yield, or I will tear your throat out!” Lobo warned savagely. The Gryphon wing leader immediately let go of Lobo´s jaws, holding his palms up in a calming gesture. Lobo let go a little bit so that air could once again flow through the Gryphon´s throat. The wing leader immediately took a couple of ragged breath, while glaring angrily at him.

“I… I yield… the female is yours!” he proclaimed as loudly as he could. Upon hearing this, Lobo let go, carefully watching the Gryphon who cautiously felt around the throat to make sure there were no life-threatening injuries.

“Good! Now with that little dispute out of the way, why did you try to attack us? We haven't done anything against you,” Lobo asked. The Gryphon stood up watching Lobo warily.

"We're having a bit of a problem with our neighboring villages at the moment. We have had a very productive year when it comes to rearing hatchlings, while the three villages around us have had dismal failures all around. This leading to them thinking they can come and steal some of our hatchlings to bolster their own numbers. Losing a couple of females would be no problem, but they've actually stolen three males from us so far! We thought you might be working for one of them, so we wanted to ask you a few questions. The shot we were aiming at you was only a warning shot… to get your attention,” the Gryphon wing leader said defensively.

“Liar! You would never risk as steel arrowhead for a warning shot. There is too much of a risk that it would be ruined if it hit a rock in the frozen ground,” Raven spat out. Upon hearing this, Lobo narrowed his eyes at the wing leader, who was glaring at Raven willing her to shut up.

“Thank you, Raven. That was very informative. Now shall we try this again? You're saying that your neighbors are stealing your hatchlings…” There was a low growl of disapproval from Lobo, the thought of pups of any kind being in danger made the hair on his back rising in anger. He had to take a deep breath and calm himself before he continued.

“If what you say is true, and they are stealing your hatchlings, I would be willing to help in your defense of them, as long as you provide for the three of us while we stay with you,” Lobo said, and looked the wing leader in the eyes. The Gryphon looked curiously at Lobo, trying to decide if he truly meant what he said. If this Wolf was a mercenary, and they managed to hire him for such a low price, then it would at least be worth the bother of bringing him back to the village for the elders to decide what to do. If nothing else, they might still be able to lay claim to that exotic looking female he has with him.

“Very well… You may come back to our village. Robin! You will show our guests the way back to Crown Peak. In the meantime, the rest of the wing will accompany me on the remaining sweep of our territory. We should still make it back before you reach the village. Once you arrive there, all of your questions will be answered by the elders. If there are any immediate concerns, Robin will address them if she's capable of doing so,” the wing leader said. Lobo nodded.

“That sounds acceptable for now… My name is Lobo, by the way. My pup's name is Zig Zag and the Gryphoness he… claims… is named Raven,” Lobo said with almost a palatable distaste of how he had to introduce Raven as more or less their property.

“Then I bid you good day and goodbye Lobo. My name is Panther, and I'm the leader of this wing. Depending on what the elders say, I will be very interested in talking to you later tonight,” Panther said and spread his wings. Immediately, all of the male warriors stood in a V-formation behind him and, as one, they all shot up into the sky. Left behind was a rather disappointed looking female Gryphon. All of a sudden, she felt a little tap on the side of her front leg. Robin jerked aside, ready to strike whatever had managed to sneak up on her. But as her eyes fell on the little blue pony now smiling up at her, she stopped mid-strike.

By my wings! Where did he come from??? Robin thought, and looked over towards Lobo and Raven who were both still sitting in the same place discussing something between them, while Raven looked at the injuries Lobo got in the fight over her.

“Hi! I'm Zig Zag! You must be Robin! That's a neat looking armor you got… Isn't it difficult to fly around with a spear all the time? How far is it to the village? Have you ever been in a battle? I have and I don't like it, although I didn't have a choice either… You think there is any armor in my size? Dad! Can I get some armor?!” the energetic little pony yelled while he scampered off back towards his two companions. Robin just stood there, one of her claws still raced ready to deliver a strike that would never fall, and her jaw hanging open.

I hope he's not like that all the way back home… Robin thought with a shudder, she had never really liked hatchlings. And this one seemed like a real claw full. Although, as he scampered back, Robin noticed that half his right ear was gone, and he spotted a nastily looking scar across his left flank.

Has that little kid truly been in a battle? Robin wondered perplexed.

Well I guess I'll have a few hours to find out, maybe this trip won't be such a bore after all… Robin thought hopefully while her three charges walked towards her.

****

The four of them had been travelling for a couple of hours. Zig Zag had been placed on Lobo´s back more or less immediately, and fell asleep within half an hour of them setting off. Robin watched the Dire Wolf in fascination as he seemed to glide along the ground. At first she thought he’d set off at a far too high pace, but, after awhile, she had realized he wasn't even straining himself. Beside her, the strangely colored Gryphon female was flying along with her. Robin had never seen any Gryphon with her coloration; Raven had completely black talons and beak, together with the grey feathers that turned black towards the ends. The only common features she possessed was her dark golden-brown shaggy looking fur, and her two gold colored eyes. Carefully, Robin maneuvered in closer to Raven.

“So, what's the deal with those two and you?” Robin asked carefully while they lazily flapped their wings, trying not to outpace the two on the ground. Raven looked back at her, giving her a searching glance before replying.

“Zig Zag saved my life when the three Gryphon males I was with at the time tried to kill me… Zig Zag given me some food when I passed out in front of him, because I hadn't really eaten anything in a month. Then the three of them found me with the remains of the rabbit, and decided right then and there to kill me for my insolence. If Zig Zag hadn’t come back right then and bucked Jaggar´s face in… I would be dead right now for sure. And Lobo… is Zig Zag´s dad, and both of them are the nicest males I have ever met,” Raven said, and looked down at the Wolf and, more specifically, the sleeping colt, and then sighed fondly.

“Wow… I hadn't expected that little rogue to be such a… wait a minute… you're really into him, aren't you?” Robin asked with a mischievous grin. Raven shot a surprised look back at Robin.

“What?! No way! I mean sure he's… nice… and kind… and so brave…” Raven said while timidly casting a glanced down at the sleeping form of Zig Zag, once again unable to suppress another affectionate sigh.

“Oooo… You got it bad girl, I can see it as plain as daylight. But still… Isn't he a little young for you?” Robin asked uncertainly. Raven's eyes immediately left Zig Zag and watched Robin, not understanding what she was on about. Then she realized it and gave a little laugh.

“No… We're the same age actually, he's just smaller because he's a pony. But don't think less of him because he is small, Zig Zag is quite the warrior and hunter… I have personally seen him kill a Pegasus guard who was chasing him, not to mention when he stood up against three Gryphons by himself to save me. That was just after he brought me a whole rabbit he personally hunted down by himself,” Raven said, fidgeting nervously with her talons at the memory. Robin's eyes shot wide open in surprise.

“WOW!!! He wasn't kidding when he said he had claimed you then! I've heard a lot about stallions and their… prowess, but planning a family when he´s that young?” Robin said quite shocked. Raven smiled timidly at Robin shaking her head.

“He doesn't know what that gesture means to us Gryphon´s. He realized I was starving so he did something about it. For him, it was just an act of kindness, nothing more,” Raven said rather disappointedly. Robin looked at her knowingly.

“But you wished he had known… don't you?” Robin asked while she smiled at Raven. After thinking carefully for a while, Raven nodded a little bit.

“Yeah… he's so different… both of them are… they’re just too good to be true. Especially Zig Zag… guess what the first thing he ever said to me was?” Raven asked with a grin. Robin just looks at her confusedly.

“I don't know… Hello maybe?” Robin answered. Raven smiled and shook her head.

“No he said… thank you… The first thing Zig Zag ever said to me was thank you.” She answered almost reverently. Robin was now also looking down at the sleeping little colt.

“I have to agree… he does sound too good to be true,” Robin said with a searching glance downwards, wondering if she could maybe make the little pony claim her as well. No… that would just be awkward, she was almost twice his age, and three time his size after all. The two of them continued talking as they flew, and it was easy to see that Raven had been the only female in her last wing. She told Robin almost anything she wanted to know, so it wasn't long before Robin knew more or less everything Raven knows about the Wolf and the pony, although Raven did keep a few facts to herself. Soon, they moved on to talk about the hardships of their lives so far and what they hoped their futures might bring, slowly making their way back towards Robin´s village.

****

Avarice marched into the makeshift camp focusing solely on two of the ponies waiting at attention for him. His scouts found the small encampment earlier that morning, and as he was now walking up towards Lightning Strike and Black Star. His fury was boiling so hot inside of him he wouldn't have been surprised if the ground caught fire wherever his hoof made contact with it. He came to a halt in front of them glaring.

“Report!!!” Avarice roared. Lightning Strike winched and then took a deep breath.

“Lobo escaped Sir…” she said, trying to keep calm. Avarice looked behind her fuming; every single soldier he had sent with her was loyal to him, voluntarily or not, so it was a great blow to see so many missing. Out of the nine Pegasus, six now remained. And the unicorns had fared even worse, with only two out of nine having survived. Surprisingly, both the earth ponies were still alive; Avarice had always been looking down his nose at earth ponies, seeing them as inferior to the two other races. His face contorted into a frown as his eyes snapped back to Lightning Strike.

“Well that's bleeding obvious! You've lost half of the ponies under your command! What happened!!!” he yelled. Lightning Strike immediately launched into a detailed report of what had happened during their pursuit of the Dire Wolf. As she finished, Avarice gave an annoyed grunt.

“So we have clearly underestimated the spirit Wolf by some magnitude…” Avarice said, his mind already working on a way to turn this disaster around. Lightning Strike and Black Star both stood dead still in front of him, waiting for him to come to a decision. Finally, he looked back at Lightning.

“What have you done so far?” he wondered.

“I have sent a message to the Kings Court in Feliniss requesting permission to cross the border in pursuit of an escaped prisoner,” Lightning informed Avarice. He gave a snort.

“Do you have any idea how long something like that will take? And even if it gets through within a month they will never approve it. Don't you think they will most likely hunt him down and keep him for themselves now that they know we want him?” he asked while smiling without any trace of warmth, like he was talking to a stupid little child. Lightning was about to answer when Avarice just cut her off.

“Don't answer that, you will only hurt yourself… Besides, we don't need their permission to pursue the spirit Wolf anyway,” he said confidently. Both Lightning Strike and Black Star's jaws were left hanging open at his statement.

“But, but, but… going in without permission would be seen as a declaration of war!” Lightning Strike burst out desperately. She had known Avarice was very keen on getting his hooves on Lobo, but going so far as declaring open war on a Gryphon Kingdom, especially the one they had the friendliest contact with, was way beyond anything he had a right to do. Avarice once again looked at Lightning Strike as if she was thick in the head.

“Honestly… How the heck could they be thinking about promoting you?” Avarice muttered to himself before he continued.

“Who said anything about going into Feliniss? We will just use those Gryphon´s sensational greed to our advantage. Put a substantial bounty on him and every damned one of those money hungry Gryphons in Feliniss will be working for us within a fortnight!” Avarice said with a smug smile. Lightning Strike and Black Star both looked stunned. That was actually quite a brilliant idea; why hadn't they thought about it? Avarice now focused on Black Star.

“How goes your research? Have you continued your studies since last?” he asked pointedly. Black Star snapped to attention.

“Yes sir! But I have encountered some problems in the research I have not been able to overcome yet,” she informed him.

“Then what are you doing here? Get your research tent set up and get back to work!” Avarice yelled at her. Black Star immediately scrambled away to carry out her orders, leaving Avarice alone with Lightning Strike. Avarice gave her a long searching look.

“You have been quite a disappointment my dear… Do you think you can handle this from now on… or would I be better served promoting somepony else to your position?” Avarice asked coldly. Lightning Strike winched at his harsh words.

“No Sir! I will do betters Sir!” she answered him.

“See that you do! Now get out of my site and get this camp set up properly!” he roared at her, sending Lightning Strike scrambling just like Black Star had done moments earlier. Avarice looked after Lightning Strike with a sinister smile across his face. Even though he had lost ten ponies, he had most likely gained Lightning Strikes future obedience through this failure of hers. So this whole fiasco would most likely work to his advantage after all. He trotted away through the chaos that was a camp in the making, whistling a happy little tune as he went along, once again at ease with how things were turning out.

****

Lobo, Zig Zag and Raven were escorted by Robin towards their new lodgings once they had arrived at Crown Peak, which was aptly named it turned out. The whole village was situated on the flat bottom of a long dead volcano; it's jagged and half collapsed natural walls around the village making it look like a sinister shaped crown at the top of the peak as they arrived.

The meeting with the village elders had been long, tedious and drawn-out. Finally, it had been decided that Lobo would be hired on as a guardian for the female half of the hatchlings so that the Warriors of the village could concentrate on training the younger males without the nuisance of having to worry about females getting in the way. Lobo had accepted, at a price of food, lodging and more and better armament for the three of them.

They had been issued a room at the local inn, and, as they walked into it, they could clearly see it was not one of the more expensive rooms. There were four serviceable beds in the room, one in each corner. At the head of each bed was a rickety looking night table, and at the foot a good-sized chest to stow whatever valuables the current occupants in the room might have. In the center of the room stood a surprisingly sturdy looking table. As they all filed into the room, Lobo jumped up on the first bed next to the door, this way the first thing any intruder would face would be Lobo himself. Raven, seeing what Lobo had done, took the bed furthest from the door, and was then pleasantly surprised when Zig Zag jumped up on the same bed and made himself comfortable right next to her. Raven quickly draped one of her wings over him and Zig Zag respondent happily by snuggling up close to her. Robin has stopped just inside of the door, and was now looking fondly at Zig Zag and Raven. It was clear as day that the both cared a great deal for the other. Lobo was also smiling widely at the sight of them.

“Well, this is your room. And you will also receive your food here at the inn. Now, if you excuse me, I will go to the smith and see what I can scrounge up for you three. I will bring back all I can and then we'll see what fits,” Robin said, and then turned around and left. Once she was gone, Lobo turned towards Raven.

“I know you couldn't speak in front of the elders or anyone else for that matter, but I would like to hear your thoughts now… can we trust them?” he asked her. Raven just rolled her eyes.

“They are Gryphons, so no... we can't. But they've hired you for a very low price Lobo… therefore, they will most likely keep us around, seeing as they get so much out of the deal. But then again… the fact that you're so cheap to hire, will also work against us, since they won't expect very much loyalty from you at such a low price,” Raven said thoughtfully. Lobo nodded.

“I thought as much… unfortunately, I do not know what a reasonable price for my service is, and I'm mostly doing it just to protect the hatchlings here anyway. No one should be separated from their parents at such a young age…” Lobo said sadly while his eyes rested on Zig Zag and Raven who both could only nod in agreement. Raven's stomach all of a sudden gave a loud growl. Zig Zag and Lobo both smiled at her obvious embarrassment.

“Well, I'll go see if I can get the three of us something to eat,” Lobo said merrily.

“No, I'll do that!” Raven said a little alarmed, thinking herself lax in her responsibilities.

“No, you two rest for now. Besides, I really want to have a sniff around this place. I have to learn which scents belong here, that way I'll know if something is out of place in the future,” Lobo said as he walked out of the room. Zig Zag and Raven were now left alone, and, after a few minutes, the silence started to get oppressive.

“Zig Zag… Can I ask you something…” Raven suddenly wondered. Zig Zag watched her curiously and then nodded.

“Do you know anything about your… natural father?” she asked. Zig Zag eyes went wide at the question.

“No!” he said fiercely, almost making Raven flinch back. After a few moments, he gave a sigh and looked out of one of the two windows in the room.

“Well… Maybe a little. Mom… Mom said he was a very brave pony. The first time they met, he had actually saved her from some ruffians who wouldn't take no for an answer when she and Cherry Tree had gone out for a drink one evening. He was an earth pony and still stood up against two unicorns and a Pegasus by himself. He then escorted mom and Cherry Tree home. Mom thought he would ask to come in or be compensated in some other way, but the moment she was safe at her door he had only walked away after wishing the two of them a good evening,” Zig Zag said, still gazing out of the window. Raven was almost holding her breath, she realized that this was something very personal that Zig Zag wouldn't tell just anyone.

“Two weeks later, they had bumped into each other again while she was out doing errands. They sat down to have lunch together and talked for awhile… It had ended up with him asking her out… after that, every time he came back to North Bay they would get together. She never told me what he did, but he was often only able to stay short periods of time. Apparently, he had a dangerous job, and she definitely didn't want me to follow in his hoofsteps. That's why she never told me too much about him even though she loved him... they had been together almost three years when he suddenly didn't come back like he usually did. It was at the same time she realized she was pregnant with me, and, for a couple of years afterwards, she kept hoping he would come home one day. But, after four years, she understood that, because of his job, he was most likely dead, and the rest is, as they say, history,” Zig Zag finished his narrating.

“Well, he does sound like you… being brave… and protecting the ones in need,” Raven said, and pressed him firmer towards her with her wing. Zig Zag turned towards Raven with a sad little smile.

“Yeah maybe…” he answered.

“She didn't tell you anything else? How he looked maybe?” she wondered.

“Mom mentioned he was really big for his age, even as earth ponies go. I think she said he had a brown coat, and that the most noticeable thing was his really bright red mane, and his eyes were actually bright red as well if I remember correctly… mom always said she would tell me all about him when I was old enough to understand... but that will never happen now I guess,” Zig Zag said with tears running down his cheeks. Raven carefully hugged him while Zig Zag once again gazed out of the dirty window, trying to imagine what his would be father might look like. But, no matter how much he tried to see a pony, he always ended up with Lobo standing beside his mother, and they were both smiling back at him.

****

Thanks to Syvvak for the Pre-read/Edit