• Published 21st May 2012
  • 2,853 Views, 339 Comments

True Black - Leonofsweden



Black Star is a rare talent in black magic. And she is on the verge of something amazing.

  • ...
15
 339
 2,853

Chapter 25 Sanctuary Days?

True Black
Chapter 25
Sanctuary Days?

29 of April

Zig Zag was once again staggering backwards while one of the other young gryphon Warriors advance on him. Slash after slash rained down, and all he could really do was guard against each blow as it fell. Just like the other young warriors, Zig Zag was standing on his two back hooves, while trying to lash out with his front. This was of course a great disadvantage for him against the other pupils, since he didn't possess wings, which would help him keep balance and increase the range of movement while seeking an opening on his adversary. Not to mention that he was, by far, the smallest and weakest warrior in training. Zig Zag ducked down under a blow, only for his adversary to spin around and swept his hooves out from under him, with one of his outstretched wings. Before Zig Zag could so much as react again, he was pinned on his back with one claw painfully digging into the side of his neck. His adversary leaned in grinning viciously.

“Pathetic! Why don't you just crawl back to your daddy and hide behind his tail; it would seem that's the only thing you will ever amount to pony,” the gryphon youth hissed down at him, before bursting out in a harsh laugh together with all who had been watching the match up. The young Gryphon jumped off him and walked away without a backward glance.

Zig Zag staggered up on all hooves again while coughing as he sucked in air through his very sore throat. Slowly, he staggered over to his place in the circle around the training court, and lay down in order to watched the next matchup. There was quite a large gap in the circle, both to his right and on his left, when you compare it to the spacing between the other young warriors sitting in the circle. But Zig Zag didn't mind this, especially since he truly hated most of them anyway. After only one day here, he had been about to walk away and continue training just with Lobo teaching him, especially since they wouldn't allow him to fight the way he wanted to, the way Lobo was teaching him. He had to stand beside the other Gryphon youngsters, and practice lunges and strikes with his front hooves, trying to repeat the same movements they were doing and constantly being told just how unsatisfactory his attempts were by the lead warrior trainer.

He had fully intended to walk away that first day, and never return to this for him meaningless training. But then just as he left, Zig Zag heard one of the youngsters laughing loudly as he joked with his friends, about the fact that a pathetic little pony could never survive even half a week of gryphon warrior training. Zig Zag had gritted his teeth at that, and the next day he was, to the surprise of all the other gryphon youngsters, sitting in the training circle, waiting for them to arrive.

Every day since then, Zig Zag had willingly taken the punishment dealt to him by the other gryphon youngsters. And, even after Raven had urged him to quit, because much of the standing one had in gryphon society came from how well you’re doing in Gryphon warrior training, and if Zig Zag continued getting pummelled like this, the two of them would pretty much be at the bottom of it, he stubbornly carried on. Raven had then turned to Lobo in order to make Zig Zag quit the gryphon warrior training, and instead concentrate on his and her private training with Lobo. However, to her dismay, Lobo had actually supported Zig Zag´s decision, saying there was more to warrior training then winning sometimes, facing a better opponent and losing could be more beneficial in the long run.

So, here he was, openly ridiculed by his peers, but constantly studying their movement and behaviors, truly looking at his opponents, and smiling inwardly at all the openings he was slowly, but surely, finding. Maybe he never won a fight, but he was most definitely learning.

****

Raven was eyeing the target intently, to the point where nothing else really existed for her. She felt the balance of the knife in her talon, flipped it up into the air, only to catch it deftly again on the way down. She lashed out with it, sending the dagger spinning through the air towards the inner circles of the target. With a satisfying thud, the tip of the dagger sunk into the wood of the target. She grinned with satisfaction as she saw it quiver, just two rings out from absolute dead center.

“You seem to have a knack for that Raven. Don't think I've seen you miss that shield once today, or have you?” a voice sounded from behind her. Turning around, Raven could see Robin standing in the doorway leading out behind Redwing´s shop, onto the makeshift training ground for the female gryphon´s who were allowed to learn such thing as combat. Raven smirked and puffed out her chest while she twirled another dagger in the air, before sending it downfield, to sink into the wooden shield with another satisfying thud.

“Nope… I hit the shield every time now,” she said, beaming back at Robin.

“Then I suggest you start making it more difficult, or you will never improve beyond this point,” Robin said pointedly, and walked over and removed the shield from its current placement. She then proceeded to walk over to a pendulum, where she mounted it, and then sent it swinging back and forth.

“There… Try it now,” Robin said, while she walked away. Raven looked at the now swinging target, and raised another knife in her talon. She let fly only for it to sail by the shield with mere inches.

“Damn it!” Raven exclaimed. Robin, however, had a pleased smirk.

“That was actually a lot closer than I thought you'd get… Try it again!” Robin ordered. Raven's feathers bristled a bit at being so openly ordered to do something by another female, before she narrowed her eyes at the target, and sent another dagger spinning through the air, his time striking one of the outermost circles painted on the wooden shield. Smiling like she had just vanquished an entire army by herself, Raven turned towards Robin, only to be met by a hard leather ball striking her right between the eyes. Raven cried out and clutched her now throbbing forehead.

“What the hell do you think you're doing?!” Raven yelled at Robin, who only chuckled teasingly while she playfully tossed another leather ball between her two talons.

“Just because you concentrate on your target, doesn't mean you can let go of your surroundings,” Robin said, and tossed the ball at Raven. She, however, deftly caught the ball in midair, and then sent it screeching back towards Robin´s face. Instead of catching it like Raven did, Robin just tilted her head and let it pass her by.

“See that… That's called ducking. And it is what you're going to be doing every time I throw one of these babies at you from now on. If I see you getting tunnel vision staring at some targets or other, the next thing you'll notice is the ground meeting your face. Got it?” Robin said with an evil smirk. Raven was looking oddly at Robin now.

“I know I should be thankful that you willing to teach me like this… but right now I still want to clock you!” Raven said heatedly. Robin burst out in a big smile.

“Well, that's why I like you kid! You've got fire in you, and what are a few ridiculously hard balls to the cranium between two friends. Besides… I don't have any other apprentice to torture at the moment, so you have my undivided attention all the time. Aren't you lucky?!” Robin said and burst out laughing. Raven just rolled her eyes and gave a groan of annoyance. The next thing she knew her face met the ground and stars were dancing in front of her eyes.

“I told you! Don't lose track of your surroundings, even for a second. From now on, it doesn't matter if you here, at home, or just walking about town. Your ass is mine! You will learn to keep a sharp eye out for trouble, or you will suffer brain damage in a few days… It's one or the other,” Robin said while she sent the next projectile towards Raven, which she managed to dodge this time.

****

The two gryphon youngsters peered in through the dark window, with difficulty they could make out the big wolf laying on one of the beds sleeping soundly. They grinned at each other and scampered off.

“Are you sure about this, Tigero? He won't be able to do anything about this?” the younger of the two gryphons asked.

“Quit your worrying, Snowy… You saw him; he will be sleeping in there until nightfall. Besides, I heard my dad talking with one of the elders. He said it was a shame he wasn't younger like me… Or else he would have taken that female from the little pony long ago. If someone his own age challenges him, the Wolf won't have any right to interfere,” Tigero said with a smirk. Snow Leopard nodded back merrily.

“Yeah, we've been thrashing him all week in training! Taking his female, however, that should really rattle him up!” Snowy answered while they both smiled at their brilliant plan for tormenting the little pony.

****

“Hi Redwing! Are they out back?” Zig Zag chirped in a happy voice as he trotted into the leather armorers shop. She was currently in the process of making leather belts, something all gryphons used, no matter if they were male or female.

“Good day, Zig Zag. They’re are out back, just walk on through,” Redwing said, smiling quite happily at him.

“Thank you!” Zig Zag called just as he disappeared into the back of the store. Redwing just looked after him; no matter how many times he thanked her, she just couldn't get over the fact that he did so… She gave a little shake of the head at the peculiarities of ponies before returning to her work.

Zig Zag trotted out of the door and into the sunlight, and immediately rolled on to the ground when he noticed something speeding towards him from the side. A loud thud sounded when the object hit the door frame behind him. Zig Zag came up on all fours ready to fight whatever had attacked him. Robin was standing off to the side clapping her talons together and smiling broadly.

“Did you see that Raven? That's how you’re supposed to do it! Though, I have to apologies to you, Zig Zag. I thought it was my mother coming out to have a look and wanted to show Raven that you always have to be ready for anything. But you still managed to show that wonderfully well… You really have been through some tough spots haven't you?” Robin said, while she walked up to Zig Zag.

“You might say that…” Zig Zag answered. Robin nodded and turned around and sent another ball flying towards Raven, who had just thrown a dagger at the same time. The dagger hit the shield and stayed there quivering, while Raven ducked under the ball flying towards her. She looked back with a smug grin.

“I could see that one coming from a mile away Robin!” Raven said smugly.

“Yeah, yeah… You won't see the next one coming at you, I can tell you that much!” Robin called back. Just then, two shadows shot over the house, and the next thing any of them knew, two young gryphons slammed down on either side of Raven.

“Take that crappy armor off, girl! Now that you're my female, you won't need it anymore!” the larger of the two said gruffly. Raven just stared at him, mouth hanging open.

“What are you doing, Tigero?!” Zig Zag yelled, since he immediately recognized who they were. The two gryphon youths turned around and leered at him when they saw who it was standing in the doorway.

“Oh, look who it is! How lucky! Now we won't have to search all over the village before we drag you out of hiding!” Tigero said with a laugh. Zig Zag was now fuming, he was boiling, and he was quite simply completely enraged. The two gryphon youths now looked at the little pony with a bit of apprehension; they had never seen him look anything like this before in any of their training sessions. But then, Tigero steeled himself and reached for Raven, grabbing her around the back of her neck, and then pulling her in close to him grinning at Zig Zag.

“Don't you dare touch her!” Zig Zag roared and set off towards Tigero. Before Tigero knew what had happened Raven had twisted loose from his grip and backed off and Zig Zag now stood between the two of them growling. Tigero looked at Zig Zag with surprise; one second he had been at the doorway and the next he was in front of him. Tigero became infuriated at the brashness of this little runt; he reared up and then slammed his talons down into the ground in a clear challenge of claim. Zig Zag immediately followed suit accepting the challenge.

“Zig Zag no! Wait!” Raven squawked out.

“It's too late, girl! He's already accepted!” Tigero proclaimed eagerly.

“Meet me out-front. I want everybody to see this!” Tigero yelled down at Zig Zag, while he took off into the air, and flew over the roof of the house. Zig Zag immediately bolted after the gryphon screaming in rage. Raven, Robin and Snow Leopard were left behind to scramble after Zig Zag through the building. When they burst through the front door, they could see how Zig Zag and Tigero were already squared off in the middle of the street. Plenty of gryphons had stopped what they were doing in order to watch the two youths settle their disagreements through a battle of claim. Many of the grown-up gryphons were shouting their support of Tigero, who was strutting about cockily, while eyeing his smaller opponent.

“You should just lay down and be done with it pony! You were brave to accept the challenge, so I might even go easy on you!” Tigero proclaimed loudly and laughed, hearing several of the spectators laugh along with him. Zig Zag just stood there, in his low fighting stance on all fours, then slowly began prowling around inside of the circle of spectators.

Tigero cocked an eyebrow at this and then rose up taking the preferred stance of the gryphons. A deathly quiet descended on the street, now that it was obvious that the fight was truly going to take place. As Zig Zag and Tigero continued circling around each other, it was quite obvious Tigero was getting more and more frustrated by how Zig Zag was behaving.

“Why aren't you taking your stance? Quit crawling around on the ground like that so we can start fighting properly!” Tigero suddenly roared. Zig Zag just snarled back at Tigero.

“This isn't a game, Tigero… I'm fighting you for real this time. So that means I'm fighting you my way. I will not lose anybody I care for again! Not ever again! You hear me!” Zig Zag screamed while barely holding back tears at the thought of losing Raven. Tigero just looked at Zig Zag with disbelief, before his face contorted in anger.

“Yeah right! Like that would change anything! Do what you will pony, I'm still going to beat you into the ground!” Tigero yelled heatedly and flew at Zig Zag. Zig Zag dodged the attack easily, coming up on all fours again, and shot forward towards Tigero, who was in the middle of turning around to face Zig Zag, who shot past him. When Tigero stood ready again, facing the place where he thought Zig Zag would be, there was nothing there. Instead, he gave a shrill cry when Zig Zag smashed his hooves in right between Tigero exposed wings, exactly in the spot Zig Zag had seen Jaggar mercilessly strike Raven again and again. Now, Zig Zag was doing exactly that. Even though he was smaller and weaker, hitting the nerve cluster between the wings of Tigero meant he didn't have to hit hard at all. Tigero collapsed to the ground screaming in agony, and then he started frantically rolling around to get the pony off his back. Zig Zag jumped off and then saw Tigero standing up again on shaky legs.

“You damn insect! I'll tear you apart!” Tigero roared, but he was severely hampered by his drooping wings now. Zig Zag had no problems with rushing forward just as Tigero once again stood on his hind legs, and, before Tigero understood he was under attack, Zig Zag had thrown himself shoulder first into the right knee of Tigero, which he currently had most of his weight resting on. Zig Zag heard a satisfying pop as the joint jumped out of alignment. If Tigero was screaming before, he was now howling in pain and agony while he collapsed. He began clawing at the ground, trying to crawl away from Zig Zag while at the same time clutching his damaged knee. Zig Zag walked furiously up to Tigero with a look of absolute revulsion on his features.

“You were going to take Raven away just in order to make me miserable? You lucky my dad told me not to hurt anyone in this village too badly… or I would slice off your wings right now!” Zig Zag growled down at Tigero who was now looking up at him, pure terror written across his face.

“What… what was that…? You've never even… been close to standing up to anyone in training…” Tigero forced out through his gritted beak.

“That's because I have always been forced to fight like you guys! And, even though I was the worst of us all, it still didn't mean I wasn't learning! Every fight I did, every fight I saw, I could see more and more of where your weaknesses were! Do you understand? I will only give this warning once? If you ever try to take Raven from me again, I will kill you…” Zig Zag growled down at Tigero, who craned his head away from the snarling pony. Raven walked up behind Zig Zag. She was in complete shock about just how ferocious Zig Zag had been in the fight and, even now, going for each opening and weak point, without a second’s hesitation. And Raven now also knew just how to make sure nobody ever tried this again. She put her talon on Zig Zag´s shoulder like she was holding him back.

“Let him go Zig Zag… You don't have to kill this one. No one is dumb enough to try this again,” Raven said loudly, looking around herself at the gawking faces in the audience. Zig Zag snorted through his nose, and then, finally, he too looked up at his surroundings, realizing a whole crowd had gathered. He paled a bit at the site and stepped back. Slowly, he turned around and started to trot towards Redwing’s shop. Just before he entered the store, Zig Zag stopped and looked back towards Raven.

“Come on, Raven… You still haven't finished with your training yet,” Zig Zag called back and disappeared into the store. Raven smiled widely; Zig Zag had once again affirmed that he wanted her to learn fighting, and this time in front of the whole street full of gryphons. Raven had received more than a few snarky comments about the fact that some pretty little thing like her shouldn't wear armor or play at being a warrior. Those comments would most likely stop now that her male had so openly shown that he trusted her so much as to let her learn how to defend herself. Zig Zag most likely still didn't understand just how much that trust for her signified within gryphon society. But she still knew that Zig Zag´s trust in her was more genuine than any gryphon male would ever be, and she loved him for it…

Yes… I do love Zig Zag! My heart truly belongs to him… And Zig Zag´s heart belongs to me! Raven thought happily and looked down at Tigero who still hadn't moved from the spot where Zig Zag had left him. Their eyes met and she gave an evil smile.

Time to cement Zig Zag´s reputation in this village. Either this will make sure no one dares to challenges Zig Zag ever again, or he will have five more challenges before nightfall. Raven thought as she held Tigero´s gaze.

“You know… just because Zig Zag isn't use to fighting like us gryphons in some silly little training ring doesn't mean he still can't kill any one of you so-called warriors in training whenever he feels like it… After all, it was certainly not a joke, when I said that he's seen more battles and conflicts then the rest of you village youngsters put together. Also, a little word of advice Tigero… I've seen Zig Zag kill for less than what you just pulled. And the reason I cried no when you challenged him before… It wasn't because I was worried for Zig Zag… It was because I thought he would kill you outright, and, therefore, making continued employment for this village difficult,” Raven said in a cold, even voice, before she turned around and followed Zig Zag into the shop.

Behind her, she could hear murmurs and exclamations of disbelief, and more than one voice of an adult gryphon warning some hatchlings nearby to stay away from the strange little half-wolf half-pony creature. Raven couldn't help but feel pleased about the whole thing. She had never understood just what her stallion was truly capable of; she had actually tried to embellish what she knew about him in order to better his standing in the village behind his back. But now, it turned out she hadn't been embellishing him enough. What he had done had been so much more than she had told others he could.

And even better, many of the ones who had been teasing her for having such a little weakling for a male claiming her had also seen the fight. Within gryphon society, having a seemingly weak male lowered Raven's standing amongst the other females. But some of the ones who had been harassing her lately have now witnessed how seemingly easy Zig Zag had taken out one of the village most promising young warriors. This little display has solved a lot of problems for both of them; no gryphon youngsters would openly mock either of them anymore. And even some of the older gryphons would probably guard their tongue, even if Lobo wasn't around.

****

It was early evening when Lobo woke up; he jumped out of the bed and gave himself a good stretch before walking out of the room to find Zig Zag and Raven already waiting for him in the common room. Lobo smiled at seeing the two of them. He himself hadn’t really been able to do much more than be there for Zig Zag while he tried to come to terms with what had happened to his mother and friend. But ever since Raven joined their little group, Zig Zag had begun to smile much more, and more genuinely at that. Lobo looked away and walked up to see what was on offer to eat this evening… It was barely tolerable fare. The quality of the food in this inn was definitely not something to brag about quite frankly, this place was a dump compared to any of the other establishments in the village. He growled a bit, before taking a helping and walking over to sit down with Zig Zag and Raven. Ever since they had noticed him entered the room, the two of them had been sitting quietly together, both having a somber expression visible upon their features. Lobo looked at them as he sat down on his haunches.

“Sooo… What have you two been up to?” Lobo asked suspiciously. Just then the front door of the inn opened. Revealing an eager looking Panther, who was always wearing his armor, and behind him came elder Leonard, who looked less enthusiastic about being there.

This can´t be good… Lobo thought when he saw how Zig Zag and Raven tensed up. Both the enthusiastic looking Panther and the older hunched over Leonard, made their way over to stand at their table.

“Good evening, Panther… Evening, Leonard,” Lobo said as he welcomed the two gryphons. He and Panther had formed something that could resemble friendship between themselves, or at least mutual respect. Leonard, however, still had trouble not looking down his beak at them as he stood there.

“Evening Lobo, Zig Zag…” the two gryphons replied, not even glancing at Raven to indicate they knew she was there. She might as well have been a colorless shadow. This made both Lobo and Zig Zag grit their teeth, neither one of them able to comprehend how something as inconsequential as gender could render her invisible. Lobo did, however, notice that Panther was looking at Zig Zag with some interest, which he had never done before.

“So, what brings you here this evening?” Lobo wondered. Panther looked back at Lobo with quite a triumphant expression.

“Well, you know how we've been talking about you joining us warriors for evening training during the week?” Panther asked, and, once again, glanced over at Zig Zag, eyeing him curiously.

“Yes…” Lobo replied.

“Well, I finally managed to get the elders to agree, with one additional little change… We would like Zig Zag to come with you as well,” Panther said, smiling broadly at the two of them. Lobo did somewhat of a double take at the statement, especially since he had heard that Zig Zag had been struggling in training against the other young warriors to be.

“You want both me and Zig Zag?” Lobo wondered curiously.

“Yes… After what happened today, it would only be prudent to make sure your… pup does not harm any of the other youngsters in the village,” Leonard said, a bit annoyed. It had, after all, been his idea for Tigero to try and take Raven from Zig Zag. Lobo´s ear perked up as he looked over towards Zig Zag with a raised eyebrow.

“Really… So what prompted the confrontation?” Lobo asked.

“One of the youngsters in the village became interested in acquiring Raven as his own female. He even tried to make a spectacle of it by having the fight in the middle of the street, although the outcome was far from what he had planned. Zig Zag thoroughly proved that the rumors about him being a capable warrior were not at all exaggerated. In fact… if what I've heard about the fight is true, Zig Zag went easy on him, only grounding him, then dislocating one of his kneecaps,” Panther explained. At the news that somebody had tried to take Raven from them, Lobo frowned worriedly, but when the outcome was made clear, Lobo instead beamed with pride, before he once again became annoyed.

“If there will be any more attempts at taking Raven from us… Then perhaps it is better that we leave your village altogether,” Lobo mused out loud, while he looked at Raven and Zig Zag.

“You don't have to worry about that; I've made quite clear that Raven belongs to you two. And, even if I hadn't openly proclaimed that I will be your second from now on, I doubt anyone would be brash enough to challenge either of you,” Panther said grinning.

“Second?” Lobo asked.

“It means if anyone challenges either of you, Panther has the right to intervene by demanding they beat him first, before either of you has to accept the challenge,” Raven said, quite stunned.

“And, since I am one of the best Warriors here, you won't have to worry about being challenged any time soon,” Panther said with a proud smirk.

“Thank you, Panther… that will undoubtedly make our stay here much more comfortable,” Lobo said with a smile and a nod towards the gryphon.

“To be quite honest, I'm doing it for myself… I really want to fight you again, but under more pleasant circumstances than last time,” Panther said, while he looked eagerly at Lobo, who only grinned back at Panther.

“Careful, Panther… That was almost a compliment there,” Lobo said and chuckled.

“So, we are in agreement then? You two will join the adult gryphon warriors in training from now on,” Leonard said expectantly. Raven immediately started to carefully tick with her talon against the top of the table, a gesture both Lobo and Zig Zag knew meant she wanted to say something. Lobo glanced over at her and smiled.

“What do you say, Raven? Sounds like a good deal?” Lobo asked her out right. Both Leonard and Panther got shocked expressions on their faces, when they suddenly seemed to notice Raven's presence for the first time.

“Well, the offer is certainly beneficial to both us and them… But they stand to gain more than we do, after all, there are plenty of gryphons for us to fight, but only you two for the training they want to undergo… I would say we are entitled to some further compensation,” Raven said nonchalantly, not even looking at Leonard or Panther while she spoke to Lobo and Zig Zag, who both nodded approvingly at her conclusion. Leonard was, however, fuming in indignation.

“That is a very valid point you brought up, Raven,” Lobo said and looked back at Leonard.

“I can’t believe this! We are inviting you to train with true warriors, and then you want us to pay you tribute!” Leonard more or less shouted, while he glared at Raven for having the nerve to even suggest such a thing. Angrily, he spun around and started heading for the door, but was stopped by a talon on his shoulder. He tried to shrug off Panthers hold, but Panther only held on firmer and leaned in close and whispered. Although they didn't need to bother with it, since Lobo´s sensitive ears could pick up what they said quite easily anyway.

“Leonard… We have the other elder’s permission to negotiate a price, we will hear them out, or by my talons, I will make sure every warrior knows why they cannot spar with Lobo tomorrow,” Panther whispered, looking sternly at Leonard who was only glaring back.

“I will not sit here in negotiate with a female at the table…” Leonard hissed in dignified.

“Alright… so the two of them don't know how to handle a female correctly, they will learn this when she stabs them in the back. But there's only so much a warrior can learn fighting the same opponent again and again, therefore, the potential experience gained by fighting these two… It's a chance we cannot turn away from so easily,” Panther hissed back. Leonard took a deep breath before nodding.

“Alright, we'll hear them out,” Leonard said, as they turned back to the table.

“We might be willing to make some small alterations to your contract…” Leonard uttered reluctantly. Lobo smiled broadly at him.

“Good… We want an all-inclusive stay at the Golden Talon Inn, instead of this dump for the rest of our stay here. The fare in this establishment is not really… satisfactory,” Lobo stated, while gesturing to his still untouched food plate in front of him. Leonard looked at the plate and actually cringed a bit.

“Golden Talon Inn… That's the most expen…” Leonard was cut off by a slight elbow in the side from Panther, indicating what his thoughts on the price were. Leonard grumbled a bit at the treatment but held his opinions to himself.

“I will set it up for you… There will be a room available for you there tomorrow,” Leonard stated.

“Then we are in agreement Leonard and Panther… we will see you tomorrow then,” Lobo said and bowed slightly too each one of the gryphons. They both returned the bow, although one looked extremely pleased and the other looked like he had just swallowed a bucket of burning coals. Both Leonard and Panther then promptly left the inn, having no more business there. Lobo was looking after them until he heard both taking off into the air. He then turned a grinning face towards Zig Zag and Raven.

“So… What have you two been up to?” Lobo asked knowingly. Zig Zag couldn't help but beam with pride as he started to retell the events of the day. Without even really thinking about it, Raven slowly scooched up against Zig Zag and draped her wings across his back, and ,without even noticing it, Zig Zag then pressed in even closer to Raven while continuing his story. Lobo, however, watched on in quiet amusement at what was clearly happening between the two of them.

****

“We are scarred,” the Prefect said, while a searing sound of meat burning could be heard throughout the sparsely lit space. Bender gritted his teeth as long as he could, then the cries of pain reverberated up from the compounds dark forge, where his flesh binding ritual was taking place. It was only lit by the main forge at the back that still held several white hot wrought-iron rods in its fiery embrace. After this ritual, Bender would be a true praetorian. Seven runes had been carved into Bender's side, normally five would suffice, but, because of his special gift, two more had to be added. When the runes were finally carved into him, a unicorn had poured magic and meaning into the deep rune shaped wounds. And now the ritual was entering its final stage, with the runes and magic being permanently branded into Bender's flesh. Daunting Hooves and seven other ponies, all of whom were wearing praetorian mythril armor, stood around Bender, who was being pressed down on his side, screaming as the first of the seven branding irons was being pressed into his side with a hissing sound. The only thing that had kept him from going berserk already was the fact that Hammer Song was kneeling in front of him, making sure he could see her, while she continuously calmed him down. Making sure he did not slip too far into the red haze.

“We are wounded,” Prefect Daunting Hooves proclaimed loudly, as the second brand was pressed into Bender side. Once again, he screamed his lungs out. He could not escape into his berserk state of mind, where he would feel no pain. No… He would feel every agonizing second of the dark ritual. The stench of cooked flesh was now becoming quite overpowering in the enclosed space. The third brand was pressed into his side, making Bender howl in agony again.

“We are monsters,” Daunting Hooves continued, when the third brand descended on Bender, who somehow managed to scream even louder them before. The brand was pulled away after several excruciating seconds, seconds that seemed to last for hours, if not days.

“We are abominations,” Bender heard somepony say, although he could not remember who the speaker was. The fourth brand was pressed in, and now Bender started to react out of instinct. Struggling to flee from the pain, to get away, but he was firmly kept where he was by the praetorians around him. All of them were pressing down on him; still, they were barely able to keep him in place.

“And you…” the voice proclaimed, as the fourth brand was removed.

“Are one of us!” it said proudly, while the fifth, sixth and seventh brands were pressed into Bender side simultaneously. Bender now gave a silent scream while his whole body shuddered. Then, he fell into the blissful black of unconsciousness.

****

Black Star cursed loudly, and then slammed her research notes down on the table in the middle of the command tent, drawing the attention of both Lightning Strike and Avarice.

“Why won't it work?!” she groaned loudly. Lightning Strike just stayed where she was; she had seen this seen several times since they made their new camp here at the Feliniss border. Avarice frowned in disapproval while he made his way over to Black Star.

“What is it now?” he asked annoyed. Black Star took a deep breath before looking at him.

“No matter how I theorize or how I run the numbers… It just won't work. I just can’t find a way to make the spirit´s magical energies sustain a host’s body. At least, not with the information I have at my disposal right now,” Black Star said miserably while she looked up at Avarice. He in turn started grinding his teeth a few seconds, before managing to relax again. With a strained sigh, Avarice released the handle of his sword, which he was seriously contemplating shoving through Black Star’s useless brain… but alas, she was still the best tool he had for this particular area of research.

“Well then, we'll just have to hope we can secure the spirit again soon,” Avarice said with a frosty undertone to his words. Just then, the flap to the command tent was lifted aside, and a pegasus scout made his way inside, looking quite eager. Avarice immediately shone up; since no one looked that eager if they had bad news to deliver.

“Report!” Avarice ordered.

“We found him, Sir! We have intel confirming that the dire wolf is currently located in the Gryphon village of Crown Peek,” the scout said. Avarice burst out in a wide smile.

“Excellent! You and one other Scout will go undercover to this village immediately; you have full authority to negotiate a price for the delivery of the Dire Wolf to us with the gryphons of the village. There will be quite a reward for you if you pulled this off, am I understood, scout?” Avarice asked.

“Yes sir! I won't fail you sir!” exclaimed the scout, who saluted and then quickly made his way out of the tent to get started with this new mission. Avarice just couldn't stop grinning.

Finally, things are starting to move in the right direction again, he thought, while he looked back at a now beamingly happy Black Star. Off to the side, Lightning Strike gave a heavy sigh, as she felt the little pang of disappointment that the wolf had been found again. She just couldn't shake the feeling that whatever was taking place here was wrong on more than one level. She needed to have a serious talk with Black Star soon. Lightning only had to get her away from Avarice for a few minutes, which, so far, hadn’t happened since he arrived at the camp.

The two of us haven’t even been allowed to sleep alone in our own tent for crying out loud! Lightning thought annoyedly, while she eyed Avarice who was speaking happily with Black Star about the new possibilities for research that would open up when Lobo was finally back where he belonged.

****

Thanks to Syvvak for the Pre-read/Edit