• Published 21st May 2012
  • 2,853 Views, 339 Comments

True Black - Leonofsweden



Black Star is a rare talent in black magic. And she is on the verge of something amazing.

  • ...
15
 339
 2,853

Chapter 26 Past and Present

True Black
Chapter 26
Past and Present

30 of April
The Royal Pony Sisters' Castle

The world was fuzzy when Bender opened his eyes. It took a few second for his vision to focus, and, when it did, he was looking into the most serene thing he could possibly imagine. Hammer Song lay across from him, facing him on the bed, still sleeping as the early morning’s light danced across her body. Her dark blue bangs lay haphazardly across her dark purple features. He couldn't help but smile broadly before leaning in and kissing her on her purple forehead. As he pulled back, his red eyes met her now open blue ones. She looked rather surprised for a few seconds, until she to burst out smiling.

“Morning…” Bender whispered.

“Morning you big softy,” Hammer said back, and then scooted in closer to him. Bender made to embrace her, but stopped and winced when his freshly scarred side reminded him of what had happened the night before. With a hiss of pain, he looked down at his bandaged side and groaned.

“That stings,” Bender said, giving up all thoughts of doing more than breathing at the moment. Hammer Song just shook her head.

“Most ponies would describe it as the worst pain they have ever experienced,” Hammer said, stroking her hoof along Bender's chin. Bender just gave a sad smile.

“Not even close…” he said in a sure voice. This caused Hammer Song to look strangely at him, trying to determine if he was serious.

“Are you serious… What could possibly even come close to the pain of flesh binding?” she wondered.

“Losing the ones you love,” he answered with a sad look.

“Your father?” Hammer Song asked.

“Well, dad's death hurt me, but with our line of work, it was always a possibility it would happen to one of us sooner or later. Mom's death scared me more… because it was so unexpected, and still slow at the same time,” Bender said with an exaggerated sigh.

“What happened?” Hammer prodded.

“She became ill; I was still very young, barely more than a colt. Never knew what it was that kill her; only that she went from the strongest mare I ever knew, to a bedridden skeleton in a little under six months,” Bender said, tears starting to run down his snout. This time, Hammer leaned in kissing Bender softly on the tip of his muzzle.

“Sorry… I shouldn't have pried,” Hammer Song said as she pulled back.

“Don't worry; it was a long time ago. Besides, I'm absolutely certain she would have loved both you and Sky, you two were the best things to ever happen to me,” Bender said and smiled widely. Hammer Song on the other hand just looked back at Bender.

“Sky?” Hammer Song wondered. Bender's face froze, and then grinned sheepishly trying to look innocent.

Whoops!… Bender thought, the stare he got in return from Hammer told him he should really spill the beans now, unless he was keen on some more serious bodily harm.

“Alright, alright… Bright Sky was the first love of my life,” Bender said carefully, while he looked at Hammer Song.

“I'm listening…” she prodded.

“Right… So, we met when she was fifteen and I was fourteen, although she didn't know I was younger than her, I have always been pretty big for my age,” Bender said with a smirk at the memory of how Bright Sky looked when she realized she was dating a stallion younger than herself.

“Anyhow, we grew very close over the next two years, every time I and my father weren’t working a contract somewhere, I returned to North Bay so we could be together. But then… we got a long-term contract all the way up in Feethers, you know one of the five Gryphon kingdoms. Shrye and Feethers had proclaimed open war against each other, and I and my father were hired on to strengthen Feethers defenses. It was only supposed to last for a season or two… But we got stuck in a drawn out siege for almost six years. And when I finally managed to get back to North Bay…”

****

A little more than seven years ago

Bender walked down the streets of North Bay, towards a very specific shop in the merchant district. He couldn't believe how much he had missed the site of other ponies. The sounds, and the smells, and just the feel of knowing they were around. But, more specifically, Bender had missed the site of a bright blue Pegasus named Bright Sky. Thinking of her had been one of the few things that helped him get through the hell that had been his life for the last couple of years. He couldn't wait to gaze into her green eyes again, and run his hooves through her two-toned purple mane. His heart was racing at the mere thought of it. In his mouth, he was carrying a large bouquet of flowers that they could munch on together with a bottle of wine. He closed in on the last corner which would take him onto her street. Just as he strode around the corner, he could see her coming out of her store. He stopped, completely spellbound by the site of her. Then, she called out in a loud voice.

“Zig Zag! Time for dinner! If you are late you won't get any dessert you hear me young colt!” she bellowed out into street. Bender stopped in his tracks, having just taken one step towards her. Out from an alley, just next to Bright Sky's store, a little light blue earth pony scampered out worriedly. He came to a screeching halt and turned around.

“I've got to go eat! See you tomorrow, Cherry Blossom, okay?!” the little colt shouted to a filly that was following him only a meter behind. The little red filly, with a surprisingly well-kept green mane and tail, winced at the colt's loud shouting.

“Jeez, Zig Zag… I'm right here you know, and I'm not deaf… or, at least, I wasn't,” the filly answered, rubbing her ear and looking a bit cross while the colt scampered up to Bright Sky, who lovingly nuzzled the little one. Bright Sky then quickly looked up. Cherry Blossom had already begun to trot down the street, presumably to get home to her own dinner.

“See you tomorrow Blossom! Say hi to Cherry Tree for me!” Bright Sky called after the filly.

"Okay, I will!” the filly replied, without turning back. Bender had, in the meantime, pressed himself against the wall next to him, trying to hide in the small shadow it cast in the noon sun.

So, she’s got a little colt. What did I expect? I have certainly not been living celibate since we saw each other last. Dad did warn me something like this could have happened, and anyhow, it would be quite alright to have a little… Bender thought process was cut off as a light grey Pegasus with a black mane and tail landed in front of Bright Sky. He gave her a quick peck on the lips, to which Bright Sky turned crimson red, before telling her something in a hushed tone. Then the stallion gave a laugh, and walked past her into the store, Bright Sky following with a somewhat fumed look on her face.

Bender was now leaning heavily against the wall, his breathing ragged. He was barely able to breathe while his heart hammering away in his chest. And it hurt… It hurt so much. Nothing had ever cut him so deeply; no burn had ever scorched him so harshly. He slid down the wall, unable to keep himself upright. He had dropped the flowers on the ground and the bottle of wine was slowly rolling away from him while he pressed himself against a wall gasping for breath.

Come on, get a grip stallion! You knew this could happen! Dad warned me… He… He warned me, Bender thought desperately, while he slammed his hoof down into the ground again and again, cracking the earth beneath it.

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!!! he thought every time he slammed his hoof down. But the pain just wouldn't go away. Suddenly, Bender realized he was seeing a very familiar red haze in the corner of his eyes.

Oh no! No, no, no, no, no, no!!! Bender thought desperately as he realized he was about to slip into his berserker rage. He grunted as he fought it off, trying to keep calm, but failing.

I got to escape or I will kill that damned stallion! And Celestia knows how many more! Bender thought, as he got to his hooves and started running towards the city gates. He ran like he was possessed, which, quite frankly, he was. Those ponies unlucky enough not to see him coming were unceremoniously sent flying. If a stand was in his way he exploded through it, followed by exclamations and curses. Calls and whistles for the city guards were sounding behind him as he ran.

I have to get out of the city! I have to! Please let me make it!!! Bender thought while he ran screaming and crying through the streets of North Bay. Puzzled citizens looked worriedly after the fleeing stallion.

Why, Sky?Why? Why? Why couldn't you? Why couldn't you wait for me? Oh, by the Moon, it hurts! Why does it hurt so much!?! was the last thing he thought before the red haze over took him, just as he passed out through the city gates of North Bay.

****

Back in Bright Sky´s house

Bright Sky was slowly walking into the kitchen, frowning a bit at Shadow Flight who had taken a seat at the dinner table. Zig Zag was still up in his room, leaving whatever treasures he had found during the day for later inspection that evening.

“Why did you do that? Somepony could have seen that, and then you will get in trouble with your wife,” Bright Sky said, rather cross at Shadow Flight who was just smirking back at her from the other side of the table.

“Actually, I'm counting on it,” he replied with a mischievous smile.

“What?!” Bright Sky yelled in surprise. Shadow Flight just laughed at her reaction.

“Sorry, Sky, it's just we are trying for another foal at the moment, and the last time we succeeded, she got pregnant after we had had rather marvelous make up sex. So, when you said you would make me dinner for helping you moved those crates, I just had to go for it,” Shadow said with a grin. Bright Sky just looked at him in disbelief.

“That's just crazy…” Bright Sky blurted out.

“But I bet it's going to work!” Shadow Flight said self-assured.

****

Present-day

Bender had just finished telling the story of how he had lost the first mare he ever loved to Hammer Song. She had become quite a lot calmer when she realized how long ago it was since it had taken place.

“So… Did you ever go back to her? You know to say hi?” Hammer Song wondered.

“No, she made a new life for herself. She didn't need me coming in their wrecking everything. I told Bright Sky, if I didn't return within three years… It most likely meant I was dead. And it had almost been six years before I finally made it back. Once I had calmed down, which only took a year or two; I was actually quite happy for her, that little colt looked quite healthy. So, if she was lucky enough to find a good stallion, and have a healthy little colt… Who am I to come stomping into her life again, uprooting everything she's made, just to make myself happy? No… they are probably still living in North Bay right now, a nice, quiet life, without all the turmoil I would have brought in my wake,” Bender said with a sigh. Hammer Song was smiling at him.

“It was actually quite noble of you, and I can't say am displeased it turned out this way. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here right now, would we?” Hammer said, and then kissed Bender deeply. They broke off their kiss, pressing their foreheads against each other.

“Yes, had I known you were waiting for me in the end… I would not have changed a thing,” Bender answered back.

“He's quite a smooth talker, isn’t he?” Bender and Hammer Song heard a female voice saying from the door leading into the room the two of them were sharing. Hammer Song looked towards it and blushed profusely when she saw who it was, Bender on the other hand just grinned at them. In the doorway stood the two best friends they had amongst the rest of the praetorians; Crimson Dawn and True Shot, both were smiling at them. Crimson Dawn´s red wings were spread out behind her, shielding the room from view, as if trying to give Bender and Hammer Song some small amount of privacy.

“He's telling you about how he used to make out with another filly, and you end up kissing him for it? Maybe I should try that…” Crimson Dawn said with a smirk, while she looked over at her marefriend. True Shot, on the other hoof, just answered with a well-placed kidney punch in Dawn´s side, causing her to immediately double over.

“If you tell me yours, I'll tell you mine, but I bet I've got a whole lot more than you anyway,” True Shot said, an evil glint in her eyes, before the orange unicorn bolted down the corridor so that Crimson Dawn would not be able to retaliate.

“Get back here!” Crimson yelled after the hysterically laughing True Shot, while they both galloped out of the barracks. Bender and Hammer Song just shook their heads at the antics of their friends before giving each other another quick kiss before they then rose to face another day.

****
15 of May
Crown Peak

Zig Zag dodged to the left, taking a glancing blow from a wooden practice halberd. The force from the blow was still enough to send him tumbling off in the dirt, before rolling up on four hooves again and digging in his newly forged claws into the soil, leaving deep furrows as he came to a skidding halt. Had he not been wearing armor, that blow would have broken his ribs, despite the axe head being made of wood. Zig Zag was breathing heavily, mist forming from his breath in the cold mountain air as he, once again, made eye contact with his sparring opponent. The burly gryphon warrior gave a grunt in approval at Zig Zag´s quick recovery from the blow he had received. Slowly, he started moving around the gryphon, trying to find some way of approaching without ending up facing a similar fate again. Lobo was sitting off to the side carefully watching, and having some trouble with fighting his instinct of rushing in and tearing the gryphon in question apart. Zig Zag hadn't won a single mock battle since he started accompanying Lobo to the grown-up warrior gryphon’s practice sessions.

They were held every three days, so that one would have the time to heal aching limbs in between each practice. And Zig Zag had had plenty limbs aching for the last two weeks. The gryphons participating here were not some young hothead trying to get even for some imagined slight; Tigero had been much too overconfident, not thinking for a moment that Zig Zag might not have shown everything he could do. These gryphons, however, were seasoned gryphon guards of Crown Peak, and his reputation had now preceded him. They had all been too aware of the speed he possessed, therefore, the fiasco Tigero had suffered did not repeat.

On the contrary, Zig Zag had been truly hard pressed not to end up a laughing stock during the first week. But once he had survived the first week, he slowly, but surely, started to be able to read his opponents intentions. So he no longer had to rely solely on his reaction time when trying to duck, and being able to start his movements a few hundredths of a second earlier made all the difference in the world. During this last week, the gryphon warriors had seldom been able to land a hit on him. The last few days he had even started landing hits of his own. The only time they were able to get close to striking him now was when he faced a new weapon. Like the halberd his current opponent was using. Zig Zag wanted to test the speed of his opponent’s weapon, but had instead been surprised by its reach. Zig Zag grunted in annoyance, and then pulled out one of his wooden knives.

Zig Zag darted in again, jumping over the halberd as it came sweeping towards him. The gryphon reversed grip and thrusted the spear end of the halberd at Zig Zag, who barely managed to dodge the attack by rolling to the side. Immediately, the warrior followed up with an overhead swing which sent the axe head crashing down towards him where he lay hazardously on his back. Zig Zag´s breath got caught in his throat. In the last instant, he rolled over backwards and spread his rear legs wide just as the axe head crashed down between them. He sat there wide-eyed, one leg on each side of the axe head which ended mere centimeters from his unmentionables.

The gryphon gave a slow whistle at the fact that Zig Zag had managed to actually avoid his last attack. This brought Zig Zag back to reality again. He quickly rolled over backwards once more, and he pushed off with his front hooves so that he landed several feet back and finally out of reach of the halberd. The gryphon once more took his ready stance, while Zig Zag started prowling around him, looking for an opening. Zig Zag tried to think of a way to get past the defenses of his opponent, but, no matter what he thought up, he just wouldn't be able to get past the reach of the halberd… Unless…

Clutching his teeth down on the wooden dagger in his mouth, Zig Zag smiled as a completely crazy idea jumped into his head. Zig Zag once again shot in towards the gryphon who smiled wickedly down at him. His opponent again started with a sweeping blow, although from the left this time. Zig Zag managed to duck under it and was well prepared for the following fast thrust attack which he easily rolled out of the way of, coming up on all fours at the ready. So this time, when the gryphon overheads strike came, Zig Zag intentionally waited until the last second to skip just enough the right, for it crashed down beside him. He now used the axe head to launch himself up towards the overbalanced gryphon, who was leaning heavily on the halberd to keep balance after his strike.

Skipping once on the shaft of the halberd, he quickly reached a stunned looking gryphon and dragged his wooden knife across his throat as Zig Zag lept over his opponent's’ right shoulder, leaving a red streak of paint where the cut would have been. When he landed, Zig Zag could hear gasps all around the training ring. He turned and looked at his completely frozen opponent. The gryphon slowly raised his right talon, feeling the paint on his throat. He held up the talon in front of him and saw the red on it. As he turned his head towards Zig Zag, the pony was surprised to see a smirk spread across the gryphon features. He gave a little chuckle before bursting out in a wide smile.

“That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen that actually worked!” the gryphon said, while he grinned down at Zig Zag. All around the ring, spectators were now screeching and hollering their approval of Zig Zag's bold move. His opponent now walked up to him and extended a talon in greeting.

“Greetings, Warrior Zig Zag! My name is Cougar; it's a pleasure to finally see your true potential starting to shine through,” Cougar said, while he shook the hoof of a stunned looking Zig Zag. None of the warriors had ever introduced themselves to him before. So far, they had only acknowledged his existence when they were paired up with him for a sparring match. And now Zig Zag realized why, he wasn't truly one of them until he had won his first match, which he just did! He had just won his first match ever!!! Zig Zag was now grinning, almost bursting with pride. Many gryphon warriors were now closing in on him, eager to welcome the newest member of their ranks. Beside the ring, Lobo was also bursting with pride at Zig Zag´s achievement. Beside him, Panther sat and chuckled in disbelief of the display he had just seen.

“I must admit that was truly something else, even if it was just a fluke. But with the raw talent your pup is clearly possessing, he will have a bright future as a mercenary, that's for certain,” Panther said and nodded in approval. Lobo gave a little huff and looked over towards Panther.

“I have seen him do similar things before, maybe not in a situation like this, but believe me when I say he's fully capable of repeating that move again,” Lobo stated confidently. At this, Panther raised an eyebrow as he looked over towards his newest friend.

“Really… Are you sure that's not just a father's pride speaking?” Panther said, while he playfully nudged Lobo in the side. Lobo, however, didn't answer, since he was too busy grinning, seeing how happy Zig Zag was in the center of that ring of warriors, who were all patting him on the back while trying to outshine each other in their attempts at congratulating him. Although Lobo did notice there was quite a few of the gryphon who did not approach Zig Zag, and even glared at him and then towards Lobo when they thought he didn't notice. He memorized their faces since it was quite obvious that not all of the gryphon´s appreciated having him and Zig Zag amongst them.

****

North Bay

A cloaked and hooded assassin ran down the darkening back streets of North Bay. The stars were starting to come out, indicating it would be a glorious night for a well-paid job. The assassin had been sent to North Bay quite rapidly from Neighjing at the request of somepony very highly placed within the city.

No one had told the assassin this, but it wasn't hard to figure out. Both because of the speed and class of transportation they had procured for the job. And there was also the fact that target was very highly placed as well. The cloaked figure now looked up towards the rooftops above.

Wings flared out, and the assassin shot up towards the vantage point. Landing in position, almost without making any sound at all, the assassin started surveying the surroundings, before carefully removing a heavy crossbow from under the black cloak. Putting it into position, while looking down from the roof, keeping an eye on the entrance to the restaurant the intended target often frequented, and settled in for a long wait.

After only a couple of hours, the assassin finally caught sight of the quarry clumsily scampering down the street, most likely thinking himself the master of stealth. But his ridiculously silver colored moustache and goatee proudly proclaimed who he was. Carefully, the assassin took aim with the heavy-duty crossbow.

Breathing in, breathing out, - THUNK!

****

Iron Helm looked up with a satisfied smirk; the bolt he fired had struck the hooded figure right in the head. From above, he could see Shadow Flight descending on the still figure. He landed a few meters behind their target, carefully moving in and poking the body several times with a dagger before wrenching the hood back from the dead assassin. He looked at the body for a few seconds, then shook his head and flew over to where Iron Helm was situated on a nearby rooftop.

“Why are the psychos always so darn good-looking?” Shadow Flight muttered as he landed beside Iron Helm.

“So it was a mare I take it?” Iron Helm said in a teasing voice. Shadow Flight just grunted and nodded stoically. They both watched as a figure moved up towards the entrance of the Officers Club.

“I wonder who her target was,” Shadow Flight said, just as Silver Pot pulled back the hood of his head. Both Iron Helm and Shadow Flight almost gagged at realizing they had just saved the life of one of the biggest pieces of shit in the city.

“I didn't need to know that…” Shadow Flight hissed between clenched teeth, while he watched Silver Pot happily enter the establishment.

“For once, I find myself not minding having been just a few seconds late. Even though it would have raised a hornet’s nest throughout the city, which would not have been beneficial to us right now,” Iron Helm murmured.

“Still, it doesn't change that the assassin is perfect for our needs. You have managed to make it look like I was the intended target haven't you?” Iron Helm wondered.

“Of course, I couldn't find out who had actually hired her, or who her target was. So, most likely, no one else will be able to either. The false leads I left all over North Bay will strongly indicate that you were the intended hit when this investigation is finished,” Shadow Flight muttered.

“Good. That means we just caught another one of Bright Sky's supposed members, or at least the assassin bought by them to rid themselves of the biggest thorn in their side right now… namely me,” Iron Helm said with a smirk.

“Shouldn't we bring her to Sharp Edge now?” Shadow Flight wondered. Iron Helm shook his head.

“No… We'll wait until Silver Pot is gone again. Both my mother and little sister will most likely be very annoyed by then, so, when we come in bearing another dead affiliate to the Bright Sky's organization, it will put us in so much better light for brightening her day then it would if we brought the assassin in straight away,” Iron Helm said, and settled in to wait for the most opportune moment to present his morbid gift to his mother.

****

Back in Crown Peak

Raven was slowly gliding over the village, keeping a sharp eye out for Zig Zag, who she hadn't seen all day. And it was now making her really agitated; for a while, she had heard several of the younger girls in the village talking behind her back about moving in on Zig Zag when she wasn't around. She hadn't been too worried about it, since it had mostly been young hatchlings cooing about how cool they thought Zig Zag was after he had defeated Tigero. But what she heard today was something that really set her beak on edge. She swooped down towards the Golden Talon to see if he had returned home from today's training. As she landed, the scene from a little earlier that day played again in her head.

Raven had been given the day off by Robin, and, of course, she should have heard the alarm bells going off right there. But, happy to have a day for herself, she had flown off to enjoy it. After going through several shops, and annoying peddlers to no end, she had sat down to enjoy a crispy grilled gecko. Raven had just swallowed the last of her tasty morsel, when a hard smack sent her sprawling to the ground. As her eyes realigned, they focused on a much too familiar leather ball rolling to a stop in front of her.

Robin! Raven thought angrily and grasped the leather ball firmly in her talon. But before she could stand up again, two female gryphon youngster´s her own age walked past the table she had been sitting at, not seeing that she now laid on the ground behind it.

“Did you hear? Zig Zag actually beat Cougar today!” the female with blue highlights in her feathers said. At hearing this, Raven almost burst with joy over what Zig Zag had accomplished.

“Really? He sure is a fierce little thing, isn't he?” the female with pearly white feathers answered.

“Yeah, it's too bad he's almost always with that skinny new girl though,” the blue one said with a pout.

Skinny? Raven thought with a raised eyebrow before looking back at herself. It was true though, Raven was much thinner than most girls her age. But that wasn't because she was weak; it was because of how hard she had had it growing up. Every fiber of muscle Raven had on her body was slender in build, although tough and hard likes steel wires. Of all the girls in the village, she was definitely the one that most resembled a lean agile predator. Not surprising, for the reason that it was exactly what she was. Not like most of these village girls, who could at least stuff their faces every day. She turned her sharp eyes back on the two girls, and started to prowl after them.

“Well, it doesn't have to be that way.” The white feathered one giggled.

“What do you mean? He seems rather protective of her, if you ask me. Almost likely he really cares for her or something,” Blue feathers said.

“Yeah right… why would he care for her? She never does anything for him as far as I can tell. All that girl ever does is train with Robin all day, and Robin is almost as bad as that black-beaked freak. Thinking she is a male or something just because she's got armor on. It's not natural, I tell you,” White feathers huffed, undignified.

“Yeah, all right, those two are a bit weird. But that still doesn't explain how we can get in on easy street with the pony as our claimer,” Blue feathers shot back. The other gryphon girl smirked back at her companion.

“All we have to do is make him doubt, make the pony think she's into some other male gryphon. Then he might not be so fast in trying to protect her when some other male gryphon tries to claim her again,” the white feathered female said with a smirk. Her friend stopped as she thought about the plan.

“You know what, that might actually work,” Blue feathers finally said. Raven could now feel the blood in her veins starting to boil.

“Of course it will work! And when he’s all sad and down because of that black-beaked freak leaving him, we'll be there to comfort him ourselves, and wrap the little pony around our talons. After that, we won't have to worry about anything anymore,” White feathers said with a self-assured smirk.

“All we really have to do is show him how much better we can take care of him, at least to begin with. I bet you he will forget all about that black-beaked fre-” a rock-hard leather ball smashed into the side of white trashes face, who, a second later lay sprawled on the ground. Blue feathers gave a gasp in shock as Raven strode past her, only to yank her friend off the ground and smash her mercilessly against the building next to them. The gryphoness’ pristine white feathers were now completely ruffled and contrasted sharply against the black volcanic rock the building was made of. Raven´s golden eyes were staring into the now terrified gryphoness’ eyes as she pinned her in place.

“If you call me freak one more time, you'll be wearing your entrails as a necklace!” Raven roared at the girl, who only managed to squeak in reply.

“And the same goes if I even so much as see you on the same street as my Zig Zag. Do you freaking get me?” Raven hissed out. The pinned young gryphoness nodded frantically.

“Good, now get out of my sight,” Raven growled, before shoving her straight into her blue feathered friend. They crashed down in a heap, where they both lay just staring back up at her. Raven growled again taking one step towards them. Both of the gryphoness’ frantically scampered up and flung themselves into the air, quite eager to get away from the murderous rage of Raven, who continued to glare after their retreating silhouettes.

Raven shook her head to clear it from the memories before shoving the door open and walked into the Golden Talon. What she saw once she'd gone inside almost made her drop her beak on the floor. The whole place was packed full with most of the gryphon warriors of the village. Many of them drunk off their asses and laughing loudly at each other's jokes. But what really grabbed Raven's attention was Zig Zag who was sitting at a crowded table, surrounded by more than one young gryphoness. Raven felt her innards churn at the site of them, a frown spread across her features, while she carefully started to move in closer.

She moved forward close to the walls, in the shadows that hid her so well because of her black beak, talons and feathers combined with a dark brown coat. She edged closer to Zig Zag and his unwelcome company. Frowning, Raven listened in on the conversations going on around her.

“…think you'll be able to dump one of your daughters on the little runt?” Raven heard one drunk warrior slur to another while she passed by. Frowning even more, Raven started to realize what was going on here.

“…told my little hellcat to follow the little pony all night! If they’re seen leaving together, he will be the proud owner of her in the morning! And I'll have one mouth less to feed come next winter!” Raven heard another gryphon exclaimed merrily, to the roaring laughter of his two companions, both then proceeded to slapped him on his shoulders. Raven’s frown deepened as it became all too clear what was happening. She glanced over towards Zig Zag and could now clearly see that he was quite intoxicated. It was customary for a new young warrior to be presented with the offer of claiming some of the best daughters from his new brothers in arms. But as Raven looked at the gryphon girls around Zig Zag, she could clearly see they were not even worthy of being in his presence. Most of them were far too old, and had most likely been scorned by the rest of the village males. Zig Zag wasn't being offered anything; he was most definitely been misled into relationships without him even knowing it. Frantically, Raven started to look around to see if she could locate Lobo.

Where are you, you damned Wolf! Zig Zag needs you here right now! Raven thought angrily, but to her disappointment, she couldn't locate him anywhere inside the tavern. Frustrated, Raven realized that he was most likely being kept busy somewhere else. It would be up to her, to lay claim to her male!

With this realization, Raven started heading towards Zig Zag. Suddenly, something loomed up before her, cutting her off from her goal. Glaring, Raven looked up at quite a large female gryphon now blocking her path.

“Move!” Raven hissed. The female in front of her raised an eyebrow while she looked down at the clearly smaller Raven in front of her.

“Look… I've been told to keep you away from here until this is all settled. So do yourself a favor, and walk away right now and you won't get hurt,” the burly looking female gryphon in front of her stated. Raven looked at her, truly looked. The female gryphon in front of her was clearly bigger, but she wasn't bigger in a good way. As Raven looked her over, she could see that her opponent was just fat, and most likely counted on her sheer size to intimidate most of her opponents into never even confronting her. Coming to this understanding, Raven's eyes turned to steel, while she shoved her angry face straight in front of the now quite surprised looking female.

“Look here Miss Blubber, I'm rather annoyed right now, and you really don't want to get in my way,” Raven said calmly. The other females face now contorted into anger. She pushed Raven backwards, and then made to follow up with quite a clumsy strike towards Raven's face. Raven deftly caught the blow with her right talon, and then likewise caught the next blow in her left. So the two of them now stood on their hind legs, pressuring against each other. The bigger female leaned against Raven, clearly thinking this would be enough to make her point. Raven, however, only dug the claws of her back paws into the floorboards beneath her. Her opponent now started to grunt, as she put real effort into her attempt at dislodging Raven. Around the two of them, many of the male warriors had now started to realize what was happening. More than a few cat meows could be heard from the crowds around them.

Raven's face hardened; she just did not have time or patience to play nice right now. She moved her talons so that the points of them rested against the innermost joints on her opponents fingers. Then, she ruthlessly pressed straight down. Several loud snaps could be heard reverberating through the now very quiet tavern. Her opponent immediately shrieked loudly in pain, as her body finally understood that Raven had broken her fingers. Raven let go and the burly female gryphon tumbled backwards clutching her mangled fingers against her chest, while squawking in pain.

“I told you not to get in my way,” Raven said, and strode past her whimpering opponent. Zig Zag had finally realized that Raven was in the room as he slammed down a now empty jug on the table. He had apparently been challenged to drain the entirety of it´s content in one go. And, by his smiling expression, Zig Zag had succeeded.

“Hi, Raven!” Zig Zag shouted merrily, while waving excitedly to her, even though she was just a few feet from the table now. He had clearly not registered what had just happened. Raven smiled happily back at him while she shoved her way in between two females at the table. Still smiling, Raven tapped against the table three times with one of her talons. To her relief, Zig Zag immediately seemed to sober up a little bit, as he recognized the signal Raven used when she was about to say something important.

“I heard what you did today! What do you say we go up to the room, and I'll show you a few other things real warriors like?!” Raven proclaimed loudly whilst smiling down at Zig Zag, who was now looking back at Raven, trying to figure out what she just said. Then his eyes became wide as saucers. He paled, as his ears falling flat against his head, paired with an expression of utter disbelief at what he heard plastered across his features. Upon seeing Zig Zag´s reaction, many of the warriors around the tavern burst out laughing, then started slinging rude jokes and encouragements at a now blushing Zig Zag, who was unable to do anything else but stare straight down into the floor. After a few minutes, he was finally able to carefully look up at Raven again. She smiled sweetly down at him, and tapped her talon three times again. Zig Zag ears snapped to attention.

“Come on Zig Zag! Let's get out of here!” Raven said, looking straight into Zig Zag´s eyes, willing him to understand that they needed to leave. Slowly, Zig Zag nodded and moved over to Raven, who immediately draped one wing over his back to steady him. As they walked through the crowded tavern, Zig Zag continued to receive taunts and encouragement in equal measures. And a few males even burst out, “Now that how a female is supposed to treat her warrior!”

Slowly, the two of them made their way up to their new room at the Golden Talon. As soon as the door closed behind them, Zig Zag spun around looking curiously at Raven.

“What's going on Raven?” he wondered, quite heatedly.

“Relax ZZ, I had to get you out of there, or else we would have woken up tomorrow with who knows how many gryphon girls on our throats,” Raven said, while she walked over to gaze out of the window.

“Whaaat?” Zig Zag drowned out, once again making it clear he was definitely a bit tipsy.

“If you would have been seen leaving with anyone of those girls, even if nothing was to… happen between you and them. You would officially be laying claim to them from now on,” Raven said, matter-of-factly. Zig Zag´s eyes once again became like saucers.

“What!!!” he burst out rather crossly.

“Figured they didn't tell you that…” Raven said with a sigh. Zig Zag, on the other hand, looked stricken. Raven watched him curiously.

“What is it?” Raven wondered.

“I… I thought… I thought they wanted to be friends,” Zig Zag muttered solemnly. Seeing how crushed he was, Raven slowly went over to him and gave him a reassuring hug. When they separated, she looked down at him with a little smile.

“Sorry… They were only trying to get close to you because they were told to do so. But don't worry, you'll always have me, and I certainly love you for who you are,” Raven said and proceeded to ruffled the fur on top of his head. He laughed playfully before looking at Raven again.

“I really love you too, Raven,” Zig Zag answered, and flung himself around Raven's neck in a tight embrace. She sighed contentedly and returned the hug. She hadn't been completely honest though; many of the gryphoness who had been down there really wanted to be with Zig Zag because of how well he had been treating all girls in the village, but she wasn't about to share him with anyone… not anyone. Suddenly, she looked down at Zig Zag who was clinging rather fiercely to her now.

“Why… why is the room… spinning so much…” Zig Zag uttered miserably.

Wow… He looks a bit green; maybe he is a little more drunk than I- Huuuuuurl!!! Raven jumped back from Zig Zag, who threw up right in front of her.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Raven exclaimed, before her eyes widened and she launched herself forward catching Zig Zag just before he was about to face plant in his own sick. Raven pulled him aside and looked down at him. Slowly, Zig Zag’s eyes refocused on her. Zig Zag then proceeded to grin stupidly.

“I looove woooooou,” Zig Zag said with a giggle, before slumping against Raven's chest and promptly fell asleep in her arms.

“Fantastic,” Raven said, as she gave an annoyed grunt before dragging him over to a bed, dumping him unceremoniously there so that Zig Zag could sleep it off until the morning.

****

Thanks to Syvvak for the Pre-read/Edit