• Published 20th May 2012
  • 5,369 Views, 167 Comments

The Fire in Her Eyes - P0nies



Fluttershy longs to be with Rainbow Dash, but she doesn't know if she feels for her as well.

  • ...
10
 167
 5,369

Through the hospital...

Fluttershy sat on her haunches, her mind still recovering from what had just appeared in front of her. It didn't make much sense that this could have happened, but then again no pony really knew the full effects of a Soul Feather. Most of the time, pegasus didn't bother with it because of its unknown and mostly undesirable affects. She could feel Dash's pain in her own body, but it wasn't painful in a sense. Fluttershy knew that she was hurt, and she knew exactly where in Dash's body. But what worried her sick was the fact that she had no idea where Dash could possibly be. Then again, in that hallucination, or whatever it was, it faintly looked like there was a hospital bed in the background. Fluttershy hopped to her hooves, looking out the window towards the Ponyville General Hospital. The sun was beginning to set behind it, so she could barely make any discrimination between the hills and the hospital itself.

That didn't matter to her though, Fluttershy knew that she had to do this for Rainbow Dash. Since she had made a leap of faith and put herself out there to Fluttershy, even though it was somewhat indirect, Fluttershy knew that it was her duty to help her no matter what. Fluttershy bolted out of her cottage room, the door flying open and sending Angel Bunny flying straight into the wall. She didn't even notice what she had did to Angel. All she cared about now was getting to Dash and being by her side. Flying past all of the animals in her home, she threw the front door open, nearly tearing it off of its hinges.

Various animals took off in a flurry of nervousness and fear; some thinking that the 'new' Fluttershy had come back. To their comfort, the 'new' Fluttershy hadn't come back, but something was apparently wrong. She never flew that fast, especially around any of her animals because of her fear of accidentally knocking one over and injuring them.

Fluttershy dashed through the sky, the golden blaze of the setting sun glimmering over her body and giving her a heavenly glow. The way that she was flying showed grace, yet it showed determination to get to Dash, no matter what she had to do. Flying was harder than she thought it had been in this light, the sun shone directly into her eyes, partially blinding her and highlighting the fire that burned within. There was a small black dot ahead of her, and it seemed like it was getting gradually bigger with each moment she continued to fly. She squinted her eyes, trying to distinguish what in the hay was coming at her. It got closer and closer, and before long she noticed it resembled a pony. But by the time she had decided to move out of the way, her decision was in vain.

The two ponies collided, sending both of them careening into the ground and into a large bed of flowers. Fluttershy opened her eyes, stood up and dusted herself off. At least where I crashed was pretty, she thought to herself, looking on at the flower field around her. About twenty feet away, another pony rested in another patch of flowers. That mare kept trying to stand, but kept falling over. Fluttershy noticed the color of her hair, and saw, for a brief moment, her cutie mark.

“Derpy?” Fluttershy called out.

“Oh hi Fluttershy. OH Fluttershy! You need to come with me, Rainbow Dash needs you!” Derpy said to Fluttershy, finally regaining her balance and pulling her yellow mane out of her face.

“What's wrong with Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked aggressively, charging over to where Derpy stood.

Derpy pulled back at Fluttershy's changed demeanor, “Uh... she's in the hospital... I found her when she was drowning and saved her.”

Fluttershy embraced Derpy in a tight hug, giving her a brief kiss before making haste towards the hospital. “Thank you for saving her, Derpy. It means a lot.”

Derpy stood there blushing, “It... it was no pr-problem Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy turned her head to look back at Derpy, who was still standing in the field of flowers, her mane flowing slightly in the wind. She hadn't expected to daze her that much, she just did it as a thank you. She just hoped Derpy knew it was just a thank you and nothing more.

She continued to fly, but at speeds greater than she had ever been able to achieve before. Fluttershy would arrive at the hospital in no time, but she just hoped that Rainbow Dash would be awake when she arrived.


By the time Fluttershy had arrived at the hospital, the sun had already fallen over the horizon. She stood outside of the front entrance, staring into the violet aura in the sky that reminded her of the times with Rainbow Dash on the hillside. A small smile snuck its way onto her lips, but she remembered why she was here, the smile fading back into nonexistence. Fluttershy took a deep breath, and opened the cold glass doors that lead into the hospital. The tile was a frigid white, the walls a light hue of blue, probably using the calming effects of the color to their advantage.

Fluttershy walked up to the counter, a white coated mare behind large glasses staring at her. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“Well, um... yes. I need to see Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy told her matter-of-factually.

“Sorry, no can do. She should just be getting out of surgery, and visiting hours are over. Come back tomorrow,” she said coldly, ruffling through various papers on the desk.

From behind the desk, Fluttershy noticed a rainbow colored mane slipping into a patient room. “Rainbow...” she mumbled.

“Sorry, wha–”

She was abruptly cut off by Fluttershy flying directly over her head, darting towards the room that she had seen the mane disappear into. Fluttershy flew around corners at record speed, the secretary at the front counter shouting at various warnings to her. But she didn't care, she just wanted to see her mare and make sure that she was safe.

She came around the corner expecting to see Rainbow Dash, but there was nothing there. Not even a pony, just an empty storage room. Fluttershy's mouth hung open, muttering inaudible phrases. It didn't make sense to her, she would’ve sworn she had seen Rainbow being rolled into the room on a gurney. Fluttershy's mind finally reached a breaking point, and she fell back onto her haunches. Sobs and tears flowed from her as she just sat in the room and cried, some nurses and interns looking onto her with questioning faces.

“Excuse me, ma'am, would you please come with me?” a brown haired colt asked her, holding his hoof out to her. He wore a hospital uniform, so Fluttershy assumed that he only intended the best.

She took his hoof and stood up, both of the ponies walking into a conference room just around the corner. The doctor held the door open for Fluttershy, and she walked in and took a seat upon one of the upholstered chairs in the room. A large table took up a large space in the center of the room, chairs lining each side of it. Her eyes were kept looking down, her face evidently showing distress.

The doctor reached out a hoof towards Fluttershy, who flinched slightly at the greeting. “Name's Mind Eye, and don't worry, I won't stick a needle in your eye.” He let out a small chuckle.

Fluttershy glanced up at the doctor, who had a warm smile on his face. She reached out a hoof, grasping his and shaking it. “My name's Fluttershy...” she said quietly.

“Ah, yes. I've heard of you. One of the Elements, nice to meet you Fluttershy. First things first, I just wanted to let you know that Rainbow Dash is doing just fine.”

“Oh, well that's fantastic! But how did you know I was here for her?” Fluttershy asked, looking up at Mind Eye.

“She's been mumbling your name all day, so you could only assume that she wants to see you. Ill take you to her –” he said before being interrupted.

“You know where she is? I really need to make sure she's doing OK!” She said, hopping out of her chair, excitement and worry flowing in her voice.

“Yes, I do know where she is. But before we do go and see her, there is one thing that I need to ask you about.” He slid a picture over to Fluttershy, who hid behind her mane. “I take it you know what this is."