• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 11,136 Views, 214 Comments

Just Passing Through - Deep Six



A Human appears in Equestria without warning. The reaction of his arrival is mixed.

  • ...
32
 214
 11,136

Magic

Alan was as surprised as Celestia was. “Magic? What do you mean magic? I’ve never done anything magical in my life!”


Twilight stepped forward with a very confused look on her face. “But Princess, are you sure? It can’t be magic… Can it?” Princess Celestia was staring at the ground deep in thought and it seemed she didn’t hear her. Behind the Princess the other ponies were talking amongst themselves, they were trying to come to terms with had just been told. Eventually Celestia looked up. Her expression was one of excitement. “I may have a few ideas as to why you have magic, but they cannot be discussed here. Follow me and we will go to my private chambers.” Saying this Celestia turned and started trotting down the hall.


Alan was unsure what to do. He started to follow but it felt awkward walking with his arms chained behind his back still. “Um… Princess… A little help here?” Alan said feeling embarrassed. Princess Celestia looked back and realized what the problem was. Giggling a bit she used her magic to take the chains off. “Sorry about that. I guess I forgot to take them off in the excitement.” Alan was less than amused though. His wrists still hurt from being held behind his back for several hours. Looking at them they were red and chaffed.


Princess Celestia could tell Alan was upset and she bent close to him. “I am sorry about how we treated you. I had to be cautious about this situation. I had to do what was best to protect my ponies from another tragedy like what happened a long time ago. Can you forgive me for how you were treated?” Alan looked into Celestia’s eyes and saw that she was sincere in her apology. “I have been taught since I was young to forgive those who have hurt you. How I was treated was horrible but I will forgive you. You were doing what was best for your ponies,” Alan said. Alan was speaking the truth. He always had a forgive and forget mindset. Princess Celestia nodded and stood tall. Immediately she turned and headed down the hall motioning for them to follow her.


As they were walking down the hall the ponies surrounded Alan. All Alan could think was that many bronies would kill to be surrounded by the mane six. Looking at all the ponies Alan could see all of them studying him. The first pony to actually talk to him was Pinkie.


“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie and you’re new here so that means I get to throw you a party! It will have to be bigger than all my other parties ‘cause it’s a ‘Welcome to Equestria and Ponyville’ party! I’m going to invite all the ponies in Ponyville! No wait! All of Equestria! This is going to be the most awesome party ever don’t you think?!?!” Alan was a little surprised by the how excited she was but then again it was Pinkie. “Um… Sure?” Alan didn’t know if it was possible for there to be a party that all of Equestria went to, but he wouldn’t doubt Pinkie trying to do that. Hearing his response Pinkie started bouncing higher with excitement.


Rarity was the next to introduce herself. “Well hello there darling. I am Rarity, designer of fine clothing. I must ask you though. Who designed your outfit? It is very… unique.” Alan looked down at his clothes. He never put any thought into what he wore. And he defiantly didn’t wear designer clothing. “I uh… Just wore whatever I felt like.” Rarity gasped and started shaking her head. “No, that will not do. When we get back to Ponyville I will design you some new clothing! Though, I have never designed human clothing before. I could be the first human designer in all of Equestria! Oh! Idea!” Pulling a sketch book out of seemingly nowhere, she began to sketch out designs. Alan thought that having designer made clothes would be pointless for him but wasn’t about to tell her no. Besides having an outfit designed by Rarity would be cool.


Reaching the end of the hall, they came to a winding staircase that led up to bright sunlight. Reaching the top Alan saw the beauty of the inside of Canterlot. He had never seen anything like this. The only thing he had seen that was similar was the parliament buildings. The hall was bright with windows overlooking the land. Alan couldn’t see outside very well because his glasses had been knocked off back in Ponyville. What he could see however was the wonderfully blue sky and the green of the garden. He made a mental note to find his glasses and come back to see this sight again.


Continuing down the elegant hall, Alan noticed that Rainbow Dash seemed to be avoiding coming near him. She was flying on the other side of the group of ponies furthest away from him. Whenever he tried to make eye contact with her she would look away. Before Alan could talk to her though, they had reached giant double doors that went all the way to the ceiling.


Using her magic, Princess Celestia opened the doors and ushered them inside. Inside was a room the size of a house. High walls towered over them and giant pillars held up the ceiling high above them. Off to the side was a large four poster bed along with various personal things and to the other side were two large doors. The only ones not captivated by the scene were Twilight and Princess Celestia. Going to the center of the room, Princess Celestia beckoned them closer. Gathering in front of Celestia, the ponies and Alan waited to hear what she had to say.


“Before I tell you about why I think your soul contains magic, I will explain some things to you about our kind and the magic we possess. Everything in Equestria contains some kind of magic. Pegasus ponies need it to fly, Earth ponies need it to stay in touch with the earth, plants to grow and so on. Magic runs this world. It raises the sun in the morning and the moon at night. Do you understand Human?”


“Yeah it makes sense. In my world though the sun and moon rise on their own and we aren’t connected to the earth by magic,” Alan said. He knew about the magic of Equestria before so it didn’t really surprise him. But when the ponies heard him say that things happened on their own they all gasped like it was something bad.


“Yeah right! Next thing you’ll be saying is that the weather controls itself,” Rainbow Dash said mockingly. “Or that the animals take care of themselves,” Fluttershy added in a small voice.

Alan looked at them all confused. “Yeah of course they do… What is it weird that humans can’t control things the way you can?”


They all nodded looking somewhat surprised. “I think we should talk about this later. I want to find out why I have magic,” Alan said excitedly turning towards Celestia.


“Very well then. I think that humans have magic much like ponies have magic here. But in your world, it is sealed away in your soul. At one time humans could probably use magic but it got locked away. Humans could have once had a connection with the earth but lost it long ago. I believe that your world is as magical as ours but you just don’t know it,” Celestia said facing Alan.


“Well I guess that would make sense, but why would we lose our magical connection? And is it possible to release the magic in my soul? Do you think you could do that Princess?” At this point Alan had started to inch forward until he was right in front of Celestia’s face with a huge smile on his face.


Celestia took a step back at looked at Alan’s excited face. “I could try, but there is no guarantee it will work. Do you still want to try?” Alan just nodded very fast. “Very well then. Everypony step back. I don’t know what could happen so be careful.”


Celestia took a few breaths to calm herself and pointed her horn at Alan. Concentrating she sent out a bolt of light that surrounded Alan with a golden glow. Slowly the light got brighter and Alan was slowly lifted into the air. Soon the light was so intense that all the ponies had to look away. The only pony who still watched was Pinkie who had on a pair of sunglasses.
Suddenly the light went away and Alan fell to his feet. The ponies started to come closer to get a better look but stopped when Alan looked at them. His eyes were wide open and glowing white. Blinking a few times the glowing went away.


“D-did it work?” Twilight asked Alan.


“I don’t know… I don’t feel different. I don’t think it worked,” Alan said looking at the ground disappointed.


“Well let’s see…” Celestia looked around before trotting over to her night side table and picking up a glass. “Let’s see if you can do basic levitation!” Trotting back she put this glass on the ground and stepped back. “Now concentrate on the glass and focus your energy. Bring up power from within you.”


Looking at the glass, Alan did what he was told. He concentrated on the glass and could feel something rising in him. Nothing happened.


“You have to believe you can do it! Negativity causes failure,” Twilight said encouragingly.
Alan nodded and tried again. Closing his eyes he focused. He could feel power rising inside him and he tried to focus it on the glass. Opening his eyes he kept trying.


Without warning Alan’s eyes began to glow dark blue and so did the glass. At the same time all the ponies’ jaws dropped as they looked on. Alan continued to concentrate and slowly the glass began to slowly rise up. Alan started getting excited about being able to possess magic. Wondering what he could do, Alan started to put more energy into it. The glass then shot upwards like a rocket and smashed into the ceiling, showering them with shards of glass.


“Heh heh… Oops?” Alan laughed nervously.


“That went better than I hoped. But we need to get you to study and focus your magic. I am going to leave the responsibility of that to Twilight Sparkle!” Celestia said exclaimed turning to face Twilight and the other ponies.


“Whaa…?!?! But Princess, how am I supposed to do that? I’ve never taught somepony how to use magic from scratch. I don’t even think I’ve read a book on how to do it!” Twilight stammered, unsure about what to do.


“Now Twilight, consider this a chance to study a live human. We could learn valuable information about how humans act in their own world. Are you up to the task?” Celestia said walking up to Twilight and the others. “I am sending him and all of you back to Ponyville. There I want you and the other Elements of Harmony to keep an eye on him. I will go with you to assure the citizens that there is nothing to fear about the human and to accept him with open arms.”


“Yes Princess, we will do our best to watch over him and help him adjust to life here in Equestria,” Twilight said bowing low.


“Good. Now the carriage won’t be leaving for a few more hours so you all have the chance to rest up a bit before we leave. But I suggest you talk to the human and answer any questions he has. Introduce yourselves and get acquainted,” Princess Celestia said while walking out of the room. “I need to go deal with some royal business so I will find you when the time comes to leave.”


The ponies bowed as Princess Celestia left the room and Alan quickly did the same. When the door closed behind Celestia, Alan turned to look at the ponies. “Hi, I’m Alan. I…” Alan was interrupted by his stomach growling. The last time he ate was in the morning when he was still in the Everfree forest.


“Well,” said Twilight taking a few steps towards the door. “I think the first thing we do is get some food. We can do introductions while eating. But before we go… I think these are yours.” Twilight used her magic to give Alan his glasses back.


“MY GLASSES! Oh thank you I would have been blind if you didn’t find them! Thank you thank you thank you!” Alan then rushed over to Twilight and gave her a tight hug.


Twilight squeaked and stood still. When Alan let go she turned around blushing.



“Now that we’re done with that… Follow me to the kitchens.”


Knowing that the best thing to do was to just to do what she said Alan followed. Besides he was quite hungry. Going out the door Alan followed Twilight along till they got to the royal kitchens.


The kitchens were empty except for a single pony on the other side. Seeing Alan, the pony bolted out of the room.

“Well it’s nice to see everypony is still afraid of me,” Alan said annoyed.


“Well they just don’t know you yet. I’m sure that once the princess tells everypony that you won’t hurt them, they won’t do that,” Twilight put in.


“Well if the ponies are even a little bit as arrogant as some humans, then not everypony will accept me,” Alan said.


“Oh ah’m sure they’ll accept ya sugarcube! It’s not like you’re gonna eat them… Ya don’t eat ponies right?” Applejack said trying to help.


“No I don’t eat ponies,” Alan said turning to look around the kitchen. He walked around looking in various cupboards.
Twilight pulled open a large refrigerator and pulled out food and placed it on the table. “Now I got a daisy sandwich, hay fries and apples. Dig in!”


Alan looked at the food Twilight pulled out and frowned a bit. Picking up an apple he took a bite. It was sweeter than any apple he had eaten before. Alan quickly made the pile of apples disappear.


“Whats wrong… Don’t like daisy sandwiches or hay fries?” Twilight asked Alan. Fluttershy came up and whispered something in Twilights ear. Looking embarrassed Twilight spoke again. “Ok so as Fluttershy pointed out you may not eat the same food as us.”


Alan raised his eyebrows. “Ya think.”


“What do humans eat…? Well besides apples,” Rarity added.


“Food,” Alan said with a blank look on his face.


“Ok that’s a start. What kind of food?” Rarity asked.


“The edible kind. Well I eat fruit and veggies like you… But not hay, flowers or grass... But I found some pasta over here so I’m going to make some. Do you want me to make some for all of you as well?” Alan asked.


The ponies slowly nodded their heads. They were unsure about having a human cook them food. They didn’t know what he would make them or if it was even edible for them.


“Don’t worry. Before I moved my mom taught me a good vegetarian spaghetti. I think you’ll like it!” Alan said happily.


“Oh so that means humans are herbivores like us right?” Twilight asked.


Alan stopped and turned around. “Well no… We’re omnivores...”


Rainbow Dash was confused. “Omniwhat?”


Twilight turned to her. “It means he eats both plants and meat.”


Alan started to make the spaghetti again. “Normally I eat chicken, pork or beef. But don’t worry! I’ve never actually killed my food so I’ll probably end up being a full vegetarian here.”


The ponies started to watch as Alan prepared the sauce. They watched with amazement as he chopped the vegetables and up them in the sauce. Pegasai and Earth ponies always had a tough time cutting things and Unicorns couldn’t really do it either without magic, so watching him chop vegetables without it amazed them.


Soon they were all eating a big bowl of spaghetti. “This is good! Is your cutie-mark cooking related?” Twilight asked with interest.


“Actually humans don’t get cutie-marks,” Alan said.


“Then how do you know what your good at?” Rainbow Dash asked.


“We just know I guess.”


“Oh and another question,” Twilight said looking up at Alan. “How did you know Fluttershy’s name before she told you?”


Alan’s eyes went wide. “Shit.”