• Published 30th May 2015
  • 2,713 Views, 165 Comments

A Change of Pace - Votederpycausemufins



An odd changeling appears before Twilight, claiming her to be an evil empress. From there she has a lot in store.

  • ...
10
 165
 2,713

A Confused Newcomer

The changeling ran through the halls of the castle, looking for a way out. Unfortunately, the castle was enough like a maze to those who were not familiar with it that she soon got lost.

“How am I going to get out of here? I need to find something to stop Empress Twilight.”

The changeling’s pet cawed her reply. “I know Lila, But if she ended up on the other side of the first portal, then she might be able to do it again.”

“There you are!” Twilight said as she spotted the changeling.

The changeling looked around for a way out, but Twilight used her magic to block any escape route the she might have used.

“Fine… I guess we’ll have to fight.” The changeling said to Twilight. “Strange not to see you in your armor, Twilight, but I guess that will just make it easier.”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight asked. “I never wear armor.”

“And I suppose you never speak with the ambassadors either.”

“No! What ambassadors?”

“Hi Twilight! Whatcha doing?!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Pinkie what are you doing here?” Twilight asked.

Before Pinkie Pie could answer, she was hit by a bolt of magic from the changeling. “Do you really take me for a fool empress? When will the rest of the ambassadors arrive?”

“I still have no idea what you’re talking about.” Twilight responded. “But if you’re going to hurt my friends, I have no choice than to fight you.”

“I thought that’s what you wanted in the first place!” The changeling yelled before a rainbow blur came in and collided with her, knocking her out.

“Rainbow! Thank goodness you’re here. How did you and Pinkie know to come?”

“Spike came outside and we happened to be hanging out nearby. All he told us was that you needed help with a changeling that appeared. Can you fill in the rest?”

Twilight explained to Rainbow Dash what had happened, and told Pinkie the same story when she woke up and asked the same question.

“So let me get this straight. A changeling suddenly appears and starts calling you an empress? Is that what they all think?”

“Well I’m not sure.” Twilight replied to Rainbow. “She hasn’t been calm enough for us to talk and find out what exactly is going on.”

“When we do figure out, do you think I can throw her a party?” Pinkie asked.

“Well, I guess if she isn’t a danger to Equestria we could, but for now, don’t plan on it.”

“Aww!”

“Rainbow, did Spike go to find the rest of the girls after he told you two what was going on?”

“Yeah, but Rarity might be a while. Her parents were out of town and Cheerilee wanted to do parent teacher conferences today since Scootaloo’s dad is back in town for the next few days.”

“Well, can you two set up a place for us to let this changeling rest in the throne room. I’ll bring her in once you two are ready. Hopefully everypony else will get here before she wakes up.”


“So what you’re saying is that she tried to attack you upon seeing you without any provocation?” Rarity asked Twilight after everypony had settled down.”

“Well, I may have gotten a bit defensive when she first showed up and gotten a spell ready if she tried to attack.”

“Well, I can hardly blame her.” Fluttershy responded. “If I was greeted by a strange pony that looked like she might possibly attack me, I would get scared too.”

“But that’s just it!” Twilight exclaimed. “She knew my name and I had never met her before.”

“Well ah think we’ll just hafta wait ‘til she wakes up tah find out what she thinks in goin’ on.”

The group didn’t have to wait long. In a matter of minutes, the changeling started to turn on a mattress that had been brought into the room for her. A matter of seconds after that, she was drowsily getting up before she realized where she was.

“Oh no.” She whispered.

“Yay! You’re awake!”Pinkie exclaimed. “Now we can talk to you and see if you’re bad or not and then I can throw you a party where we can make cupcakes together!”

The changeling screamed and tried to get away from Pinkie. Lila swooped down from above where she had been hiding to try and scare Pinkie off.

“Pinkie, I don’t think you’re helping that much. Let me try.” Twilight told her. “Well, you’ve already show that you know that I’m Twilight Sparkle. I’d like to know what else you know.”

“I’m not giving you any information on where the refugees are hiding if that’s what you want. I’ll take that knowledge to my grave, if I’m fortunate to get one from you.”

“Listen darling, we all seem to be a little lost by what you’re saying.” Rarity tried to reason. “While you seem to have at least met Twilight before, none of us have ever met you before. In fact, I believe the last time any of us saw a changeling was at the wedding of Twilight’s brother and Princess Cadence.”

The changeling gave a cautionary and quizzical look. “Y-you mean you aren’t going to torture me.”

“Wh-why would we want to do that?” Fluttershy asked. “You seem like a nice enough pony. You’re just a little bit scared.”

“Well it’s hard not to be scared in a room full of ponies that are always trying to hunt you down.”

“Okay, as Rarity just said, we don’t know who you are! And the longer you wait to tell us, the more lost we’re going to be.” Rainbow told the changeling.

“Alright, I’ll tell you. First off, my name is Queen Cicada, Ruler of the Changeling Empire and fighting to gain back Equestria from the Empress Twilight Sparkle since her enslavement of the country seven years ago.”

Twilight and her friends looked between themselves as they took in what Cicada had just said before letting her continue.

“She gained power with the help of the ambassadors Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkamena, each of which helps control different sections of the empire, making sure no changeling can try and stand up to the empress or try and contact me.”

The group of friends exchanged looks one more time before Twilight spoke to Cicada. “I’m not sure what Equestria you’re talking about, But it sure isn’t the one you’re in right now.”

Author's Note:

this chapter took about an hour to write (maybe less). hope people are happy and intrigued! :pinkiehappy:
also, can anyone guess why cicada screamed when she did?