• Published 30th May 2015
  • 2,713 Views, 165 Comments

A Change of Pace - Votederpycausemufins



An odd changeling appears before Twilight, claiming her to be an evil empress. From there she has a lot in store.

  • ...
10
 165
 2,713

They don't listen

Cicada kicked the bars, hoping they might break after a while. As she started to get tired, the guard nearby finally spoke up. “You know, those bars can hold some of the strongest earth ponies. Maybe not the strongest, but some of them.”

Cicada got a little bit angry again. “And an alicorn? Would it hold them.”

“Well, we haven’t tested tha- Hey! Why am I telling you that?””

“Because you didn’t think it would help at all.” Cicada answered as she reared back one more time and her hair started to sparkle before she kicked the bars down. “Ha! It worked! Alicorn powers cannot be stopped!”

The guard’s eyes widened. He pressed his hoof on a yellow button nearby. From far away, Cicada could hear some sort of siren. “Of course they have that.” She shook her head to get back on track. “I need to find someone who will listen to me.”

The changeling ran out of the dungeon and found herself surrounded by guards. She started to dodge them, though still got hit by a few spells from the unicorn guards. Eventually, Cicada escaped from them and found herself in an empty hall. She paused as she tried to think of a way out.

Before the queen could come up with any plans she saw something orange fly towards her. Cicada was barely able to move out of the way before Philomena zoomed past. The phoenix turned as she started to come back. Cicada realized what the bird was about to to and started to run down the hall. She was able to dodge a few more attacks, but as she reached the end of the hall, A large white figure blocked her path. “Celestia!”

“Well, I guess our dungeons cannot hold an alicorn, or at least alicorn powers. I was surprised to see you could do such magic.”

“Celestia, please,” She pleaded. “Let me by. You’re making a mistake.”

Celestia’s expression became one of almost pure anger. “You tricked my sister and I along with Twilight and her friends that you could be trusted. I already made my mistake. I see that our cells are not enough to hold you, so I can think of only one fitting place.”

Celestia’s horn started to glow, and next to her, a portal like gap was created between the castle and whatever was on the other side. When the gateway to the other place was finished opening, Celestia used her magic to send Cicada towards it. As the changeling struggled to stay on the castle side, Lila soaring in through a window and scratched Celestia’s horn. The gateway closed letting Cicada escape, losing only the tip of her tail to it.

Celestia still looked angry, but a lavender alicorn came to join her. “Celestia, I heard an alarm! What’s wrong?”

Twilight looked at Cicada. “How did she get out?!”

Celestia looked at her former student. “I haven’t found out yet. But have you found what I asked for?”

Twilight took out a greyish pink stone. She quick ran towards Cicada and attached it to the suppressor on her horn. “Now she can’t use any magic. We can send her back to the dungeons since there’s no risk of her escaping with that null stone there.”

Cicada was taken back into the dungeon with Lila and put in a new cell. Lila was put in a separate cage so she couldn’t help Cicada escape in any way. As Twilight walked away, she slammed the door of the cell Cicada was in and left.


The door to the dungeon opened, waking Cicada up. She raised her head to see Twilight walking in again. The changeling looked the alicorn over once or twice before deciding it was this world’s Twilight. She set her head on the ground again so it was facing the alicorn.

"Why did you come here?"

"I wanted to talk to you and find out why you finally decided to attack everypony."

Cicada rolled her eyes. "I didn't do that! My world's Twilight is here and somewhere in that castle of yours."

Twilight gave a weak scoff. "I know she's there. I'm letting her lived there. She's the one who got me to ask you those questions. I didn't want to believe her at first."

"And you believe her now? Just because she told you you ask me? You didn't even get to hear my answers." By this point Cicada had stood up in anger. "If you can believe her, why can't you believe me?!"

Twilight bit her lip. I was... given a fairly good argument not to... help you."

Cicada noticed the princess's body language. "What are you hiding?! Why can't you believe me."

"I can't-"

Cicada was yelling now. "You can't tell me?! Listen, that Twilight is evil. Not just any evil, but the embodiment of evil incarnate. If you're not going to listen, then leave!"

"Ci-"

"Leave!"


'I felt it again. He's definitely here.'
"Lucia, don't worry. Harmony banished him from his last host and he will not be able to do such again for at least a millennia lest you free him."
'I know Faust, but I can't shake the feeling he's not. I'm so sure I felt him again, In rage this time too. And you know I can't ence him out of his prison.'

"Well, if it happens once more I shall allow you entry to wherever he is at the time. Then I wish for you come back once you have finished and tell me just what you learned."

Lucia noded to the bipedal being. 'I'll be sure to tell you right away.' And the turquoise maned alicorn left back to her pocket dimension.


Cicada tried to get Lila out of her cage. If the phoenix could get out, she could find someone to help get the changeling free. Unfortunately, the cage was made of a rather strong metal and Cicada couldn’t ever bend it, not to mention and earth pony powers couldn’t currently be used with the null stone on her suppressor. She had tried to get the stone to come off, but it was put in in such a way that the queen couldn’t figure out how to get rid of it.

The door to the dungeons opened again. This time, it was Pinkie Pie. Cicada had remembered how both she and Twilight had been acting a little strange before going into the party. “Were you on the Twilight’s side too?”

Pinkie was a little surprised that Cicada had already noticed her, since she thought the changeling was asleep. She bit her lip. “I-I guess I was.”

“Then leave. I told the same to Twilight.”

Before Pinkie could say more. Lila started to flap her wings in her cage to get Cicada’s attention. “What is it Lila?”

The bird wouldn’t stop making a racket, so Cicada thought it was because of Pinkie.

“Unless you’ve decided to help, leave. It seems Lila doesn’t want you here.”

“Bu-but, I wanna- But I can’t! Arg! Why does this have to be so hard?!”

Cicada’s wings seemed to flare up. “It can’t be that hard for you to leave!”

Pinkie shifted around on her feet before she walked out. Cicada heard her say something to another pony, but the queen wasn’t sure what she did say who who the mare was talking to. After a few more seconds of waiting, Fluttershy came in.

“Fluttershy? Y-you came? Or are you just here to tell me you’re glad to see me here like the others?”

“I don’t think any of them said that to you. But I wanted to see how you were doing.”

Cicada growled. “I’m stuck in here. How do you think I’m doing? Oh, and also, my Twilight is apparently in Ponyville and your Twilight knows about her and is actively letting her stay there.”

“Actually, we’ve been calling her Sparkle.”

Cicada whipped her head towards the pegasus with her eyes as wide as they could go. “What did you just say?!”

“We’ve been calling her-”

“No I heard what you said, I just can’t believe it. You’re actually helping her?” Cicada’s eyes teared up. “I thought you would be like them. I thought we were still friends.”

Fluttershy looked sad too. “I want to help, but Twilight said we can because you said-”

“I didn’t say anything! That was Sparkle! This is her fault. And if you don’t believe me, th-then” Cicada started to cry. “Y-you can leave too.”

The changeling laid back down on the ground, facing away from Fluttershy, trying to keep herself from crying. When she heard the door to the dungeon slam behind the mare, Cicada cried as hard as she could, letting it all out.


“Spike, do you know where I can get something to eat in this place?” Sparkle called out. She was fascinated that her other self had been able to capture and even tame a dragon.

“Just go out into town and find someplace else to eat.” He answered, frowning. “Since Twilight is spending one more day in Canterlot, I’m only cooking for myself, and I don’t think you’d eat gems.”

Sparkle also frowned before asking. “Oh come on. Twilight trusts me. So do the others. Why aren’t you the same?”

Spike got angry at the alicorn. “You did something to Cicada last night! I heard you say something she would never say! I don’t know what you did to Twilight because I saw her realize it wasn’t her but I know it was you.”

Sparkle recoiled. “I.. actually don’t know what you’re talking about. I didn’t do anything to my counterpart. I admit I thought she would turn against me too, but she hasn’t. The thing is, you might convince her otherwise, so I might have to fix that.”

Spike covered his face, scared about what was about to happen, when the door opened. “Hey Twilight! We wanted to see how ya were doin’ after last night.”

The empress turned around to see a group of three fillies. “I’m sorry, but I’m a different Twilight. I came from the place the changeling that attacked last night was from.”

“Woah! That sounds cool! Did you get to beat her up and stuff if she did something bad?” Scootaloo asked.

“I guess I did. Did you know she has a sister who is almost as bad as her?”

“No, we didn’t” Sweetie Belle answered. “Hey, maybe you can tell us. We were heading over to Sugarcube Corner. Do you want to come?”

Sparkle smiled. “That sounds nice. Let me just finish with Spike here and I’ll be out to join you.”

The fillies went outside to wait and Sparkle turned to look at the dragon. “You got lucky this time, but when I get back, I’ll make sure you can’t help that bug pony friend of yours.”

The alicorn headed outside while Spike wiped his forehead. ‘Maybe Celestia will listen if I tell her what just happened.’ He thought before running off to find stuff to write with.




'EGGBAUD OJLND'

Author's Note:

sorry, but i felt the first part needed that clip.
also, i cry like Cicada did in her last scene. I cry a little until no one is watching, then let it all out. unless of course, people ask what's wrong when i cried that little bit, that makes it worse.