• Published 30th May 2015
  • 2,713 Views, 165 Comments

A Change of Pace - Votederpycausemufins



An odd changeling appears before Twilight, claiming her to be an evil empress. From there she has a lot in store.

  • ...
10
 165
 2,713

Thief in the Night

Cicada woke up to a vision of pink.

“Oh yay! you woke up! Do you normally sleep on the ground? *gasp* What if we got you a bed for nothing!”

Cicada groaned. “Pinkie, what are you doing here? I thought you guys left to get back to ponyville.”

“Oh, we did, but then I remembered we didn’t have a housewarming party and I just had to come back. I wasn’t sure who to invite on such short notice, so it can be a small party with just us!” Lila gave a small squawk as she woke up from the noise. “Oh yeah, and Lila too!”

“Look Pinkie, I don’t really want a party right now. Do you even know what the time is?”

“Yep! It’s just past two in the morning. It says to on that clock.”

Cicada turned to see that Pinkie was right. “How are you so hyper? Have you even gone to sleep recently?”

“No, I haven’t gone back to sleep since I woke up yesterday morning. You being here just makes it too exciting to sleep. So, how about some pie? I remembered you like pear!”

“First, you only found out recently, so of course you remember. Second, I’m not hungry right now. I just woke up.”

“Oh, okay. Should I give any to the pony downstairs?”

That got Cicada to wake up fully. “What do you mean pony downstairs? Who’s with you?”

“No one. I came in the window. I heard them downstairs before I woke you up. I hope he slash she likes pear pie. If not, we can just put it in your new fridge.”

The changeling wasn’t really paying attention to Pinkie anymore. She disguised herself as Fireworks and went to the top of the stairs. Just like Pinkie had, Cicada could hear somepony moving around downstairs. She changed her disguise just enough so she was an alicorn and flew down the stairs.The second she reached the bottom, Cicada made the wings disappear.

Now that she was downstairs, the sound was louder. It sounded like it was coming from the dining room. The door was closed, so she peeked through the seam of the door. There was what at first looked like a pony inside the room, but then she noticed his bat like wings.

She locked the doors to the family room with her magic so he wouldn’t be able to escape that way. After taking a short breath, she went through her plan. First she would go back and get a glass of water. She would walk into the dining room pretending to be half asleep and sit down at the table. While levitating the glass, she would be able to disguise the fact she was locking the door behind her. Once the thief thought she wasn’t a problem, she would use her magic to trap him.

It was when she first turned the sink on that the movement in the next room stopped. Once she filled her glass halfway up, she started into the dining room. The second the door opened, the thestral’s head whipped to her. He had been trying to quietly make his way to the family room’s doors.

When Cicada sat down, she could barely see the thief staring at her nervously, not sure what she would do. When the glass was only about a fourth full, he started to relax. The thestral finished moving toward the family room doors. When he tried opening it, he found them locked. Surprised, he went to the kitchen door and found it also locked.

Cicada decided to change her plan of trapping him now and instead wanted to play with him a bit first.

“I locked them.” She said, making the thestral go stiff. “You know, If I hadn’t just moved in here today, I probably wouldn’t have caught you, but my friend upstairs heard you when she came in.”

The thestral didn’t say anything, but turned to look at her.

“Now, if I were a normal pony, I probably wouldn’t try something too bad, I still won't, but let me tell you I come from a place where the ponies I know are some of the worst. So then, let’s go put you in jail.”

Cicada had seen some sort of police station on the way to her house so she opened a small portal and took her and the thief through it. She used her magic to make sure the thestral didn’t escape and entered the building.

"Hey," Cicada said to one of the officers inside. "This guy was trying to steal some of my stuff. He broke into the house Celestia just gave me while I'm in Equestria. Can you please lock him up or something?"

The officer quickly took the thestral away and Cicada left, opening a portal to her room. She jumped when she saw another pony in her room, but quickly remembered it was Pinkie Pie.

"So, who was it?"

"Eh, some thief. I took him to the police. I should really see what he grabbed before I caught him." Cicada replied, holding up the thestral's loot bag.

Inside was some of the centerpieces she had liked when shopping with Applejack. Apparently they were good enough to steal, but at the bottom of the bag was a golden medallion. She wasn't sure exactly why, but looking at it gave her a bad feeling.

"Ooo! What's that? I don't remember seeing that before."

"That's because this isn't mine. I think it might be from wherever he came from before breaking into this place." Cicada replied.

"It could also be his. Why would he just take one thing from a place and leave?" Pinkie asked.

"Maybe you're right. Seems strange he would just take one item from someplace. Then again, it could have been that someone heard him and was able to escape."

Lila cawed again telling Cicada she wanted to go back to sleep. The queen asked Pinkie to leave, and the pink pony jumped out the way she came, leaving Cicada to close the window herself.

Getting in bed, she picked up the medallion and looked at it. She tried to figure out what the picture on it meant, but before she could, her eyes started to get heavy and she fell asleep.


Somewhere in the ethereal realm, a figure's eyes shot open. For a split second, she felt something happen on the mortal's realm.

"Have I really lost track of time? That wasn't supposed to happen for at least a Millennia. Let's see... Last time I felt something was when the tree was attacked. That was just recently too. So how on Equus..?"

The figure spread her wings and flew off to find the only one she knew needed to know right away. She had to find Faust.

Author's Note:

magical medallion!
that is all.