• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 7,269 Views, 134 Comments

Nyx and the Sunset - Chaos Phantasm



Motherless, afraid, starving and alone. Nyx is only a little girl, forced to live on the streets of Canterlot City. Disregarded by everybody the young girl is sure to die, had she not been found by the only one who took time to notice her.

  • ...
14
 134
 7,269

04: Canterlot High.

Author's Note:

Sorry bout the header atop this chapter (below the notes), it's how I originally wanted to write it.

Now, here's chapter four, I am going to pull the Pen Stroke and ask that any mistakes found be Pm'd to me so to avoid clutter in the comments, correct punctuation do not count as mistakes. Enjoy the read.

Nyx and the Sunset

Preread and edited by

=====================================================

Chapter 04

Canterlot High

===============

Nyx sat at her bedroom table, staring into the mirror at her reflection. She leaned forward and tilted her head slightly right, blinking, as blank as a white void. She analyzed her face, her hair, and her eyes, blinking once more before returning to a proper sitting posture, her eyes strained at her attempt to see her reflection. She looked down to her left and picked up her new glasses, sliding them on and looking into the mirror again, the blur was no more, and now she could see herself as clear as the day. But as she stared at her reflection she couldn't help but feel incomplete, she looked to her left in thought before jumping out of her chair and approaching her bedside drawers.

Her vest laid on the bed side with her boots side by side on the floor. Nyx passed them on her approach to the drawers, stopping at the front of the table and opening the top drawer. It was filled with small clothing, children's underwear mostly. The dark skinned girl frowned and started taking out the folded clothing, placing them on her bedside neatly until she spotted something underneath the final pile.

It was a blue color, a blue-like-turquoise colour with a swirl pattern on either side. She lifted her left hand, her bone-like-fingers now healthy and normal, and put it into the tub, picking out what she now could see was a headband. She looked at it, manipulating it around her fingers with intrigue. She held onto the sides of the band and stretched it wide, letting it go and letting it fly back into her left wrist. She furrowed her eyebrows as she began to think, poking her inner cheek with her tongue before going back to the mirror and sitting on the chair.

With the headband in hand, she raised and widened it above her head, bringing it down around her forehead and letting go with a slap. She flinched, shutting her eyes for a moment before reopening, blinking softly and looking up at her reflection in the mirror. The band made her hair look funny, the sides and back of her long mane like hair were sticking out from underneath her new choice of accessories. Nyx snickered at her appearance and started to carefully pull her hair out to that is was over band, not under it. She sighed at the finished result.

"Still... there's one more thing..." She looked to the drawers of her desk and reached down to open the top one, inside was a hair brush, some hair ties and hair clips.

She smiled at the brush and picked it up with the gentleness of a butterfly; bringing it up to her head and began to brush it back a particular way until it was neat, tidy and didn't look like a messy bush.

Nyx looked at her hair in the mirror, her glasses, her head band, all of it came together and she put on a slight smile. She turned her attention to the bed, her purple vest and light pinkish-violet boots. She got up from her chair and approached the bed again, picking up her vest and unzipping it, putting it on and smiling with satisfaction. She sat on the bed and picked up her boots, sliding them on over her sock covered feet, wriggling her toes once they were firmly in place. A knock came at the door, Nyx looked up to her, her smile vanishing into a neutral frown as she looked away.

"Come in ..." she spoke softly.

The handle of the door turned and the door itself opened. Sunset Shimmer looked into the room, spotting Nyx on the bed she smiled.

"Ready yet, Nyx? We'll be going soon and I just wanted to make sure." She glanced at Nyx's forehead and hair, she chuckled in surprise and approached the bed. "I like your new look, and that headband looks lovely on you."

Sunset sat on the bed and looked at the neatly brushed hair, hardly a string of it was out of place. "You styled this all by yourself?" She looked to the little girls face in surprise.

Nyx turned her eyes in the teens direction and nodded silently and slowly. Sunset looked over to the piles of underwear neatly placed on the bed behind Nyx.

"Um.. W-Why are they on the bed and not in the drawer?" she asked in a confused tone.

She pointed at the underwear where they lay, Nyx followed Sunsets index finger and turned to see them laying where they were. Eyes wide, she blushed and put on an embarrassed cringe of a frown.

"T-t-the headband was in there, at the bottom of the drawer. I'll put them back," Nyx stammered and explained, hiding her face from the embarrassment.

Sunset Shimmer giggled and pat Nyx on the back. "Better hurry, we're leaving in eight minutes." She stood up and headed for the door, she took one last look at Nyx and proceeded around the corner, out of sight.

Nyx's blush went away, leaving behind only a sad frown. She shook her head and hopped up off of the bed, turning to her left and proceeding to neatly store the folded clothes, back into the drawer. Sunset Shimmer walked into her room where she gathered her books, dimensional message book and her red, raspberry and cherry colour headband, fitting it into her hair and giving a smile to her reflection. Finally she picked up her bag and left the room, proceeding downstairs as Nyx was making her way down the hall from her room, her own bag under her arm.

Sunset paused at the second last step to look up to Nyx, who was making her way down.

"Are you ready now, Nyx?" she asked in a playful tone of voice which earned Sunset Shimmer an amused smile from Nyx while she passed.

Sunset Shimmer smiled and sighed, descending the last two steps and proceeding toward the door. Nyx stood nearby and waited, the fiery haired teen opened the door outside, letting Nyx out first before closing and locking the door behind her. Birds chirped in the tree's, the sky was a pale blue, almost gray with a pinkish light to it. The wind blew in the trees, many of the leaves had started to change colour with the turning of the season; though cold, it was still quite warm. Nyx looked around at the scenery, the hedge fences of Sunset Shimmer's home, the trees hanging over the path to Canterlot City, the fallen leaves decorating the ground and finally the lake at the back of the house, surrounded by a white beach. The water was a clear blue, beautiful like a pearl.

Sunset opened the front gate and stepped out onto the path. She looked around for Nyx who had disappeared behind the house. Chuckling and leaning against the hedge, both elbows being used to prop herself up, Sunset Shimmer took a deep breath and called out.

"Nyx! We have to go, we don't want to be late."

"Sorry!" Nyx called back, hurrying quickly to get back as quickly as she could.

Nyx opened the gate and opened it, stepping out and closing it behind her. Sunset stared at her with a smile, her right hand holding the strap of her bag while Nyx stared back at Sunset Shimmer with a glimmer of excitement; excitement to be going to school, a highschool in fact. The dark skinned girl walked up to the amber teen who smiled and started the walk. Unwilling to get any closer to her anymore, Nyx made sure to stay back a few meters, uninterested in staying close to her.

~~~

"You didn't enroll me..?" Disappointment resonated from Nyx's gentle voice.

"I'm sorry, Nyx. I can't stay home all the time to look after you and I can't leave you at home alone. I thought it would be better to bring you along instead, you could spend time in the library; now that you have your glasses you can read without further strain." Sunset Shimmer smiled in the hope that would make Nyx feel happier.

Nyx frowned and looked to the ground in disappointment, she folded her arms and closed her eyes, turning away from Sunset Shimmer. Sunset Shimmer put her face in her left palm.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm just trying to look out for you... I don't mean to upset you, or put you down, Nyx." Sunset Shimmer's voice was riddled with regret.

"I-It's.... fine... Just fine..." Nyx was insincere, her trust had once again been lost on Sunset Shimmer, after just barely building for her a week ago.

"Doesn't sound fine to me," came a soft, almost posh voice from behind Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset gasped and quickly turned around to see Rarity-standing straight and tall, her bag held in her left hand.

"Hey Rarity," sighed Sunset Shimmer.

Nyx perked up at Rarity's name, glancing back in Sunsets direction, her eyes fixating on Rarity in an instant.

"Rarity!" Nyx cried out with a grin.

Rarty giggled and smiled. "Good morning, Nyx. Is Sunset Shimmer being a meany again?"

Nyx fell silent and folded her arms, childishly turning away much to Rarity's surprise. The white skinned lady-like teen turned to Sunset Shimmer and sighed with a frown.

"What happened this time?" she didn't sound surprised at this, as if she had witnessed it once and gotten used to it.

Sunset Shimmer glanced at Nyx then back at Rarity, she wrapped her left arm across her stomach while using her right hand to move a strand of hair out of her face. "Nyx is angry at me because I-"

"Because I'm not a student..." Nyx finished Sunsets sentence, her eyes focused on the statue she stood before.

Rarity fixed her sight on Nyx, her mouth open slightly, she closed it when she looked to Sunset Shimmer.

"Well, I can understand why..." she started.

Nyx froze up as Rarity's words entered her ears.

"You are only seven years old, five years too young to enroll, Sunset Shimmer couldn't enroll you even if she wanted to." Rarity gasped. "Speaking of age and enrolling!" She quickly turned to Sunset Shimmer.

"Why in Twilight's name are you bringing Nyx to school?!" Rarity's jaw dropped, her back hunched as she held out her arms to Nyx in total confusion.

"It was either I leave her at home alone, or I bring her with me. To be fair Rarity, I think Nyx has been alone long enough." Sunset looked Rarity in the eyes, her hands on her hips and her face, serious and stern.

Nyx opened her eyes and slightly turned her head to her right, listening to what Sunset Shimmer was saying. Rarity smiled with a sigh.

"Thank goodness you're redeemed, how are you going to break the news to the others?" Rarity regained her composure, folding her arms and pressing the front of her left boot on the concrete, eager to hear what Sunset had in mind.

Sunset Shimmer chuckled nervously, eyes closed with a large toothy grin. "Well you see, I didn't really think that far ahead. I was content to let Nyx stay in the library under Ms. Cheerilee's supervision."

"Darling, if I reacted as bad as you say I did to discovering you plucked her off the streets and took her home; then I shudder to think of how Rainbow Dash and Applejack would react."

"It was the right thing to do, they'd understand," Sunset protested.

"I'm not saying there was anything wrong with it, we trust you, we have no reason not to, anymore. However, while Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash would be more proud of you for helping Nyx, being unrecognized as her guardian would be strikingly odd to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna. They are what concerns us most, if you ask me."

Sunset Shimmer groaned a sigh and face palmed. "I totally forgot about them... What do you suggest?"

"Well, if I were the principals, I wouldn't be impartial to bringing family to school if there was nobody home to look out for them." Rarity winked with a smile.

Sunset Shimmer turned to Nyx, the seven year old was bending down, arms behind her back and looking at a white dandelion with curiosity. Nyx blinked, tilting her head slightly left and slightly right, a sight of peaceful innocence which Sunset Shimmer admired for a moment.

"Nyx!" she called out to the little girl.

Nyx turned her head in Sunset Shimmers direction and tilted her head curiously to her right, looking directly at Sunset who waved her over. Sighing with exasperation, the young girl turned away from the flower and approached Sunset Shimmer, her gaze lowered to the ground, away from the teenager.

"Y-you called..?" she muttered softly.

Sunset Shimmer squatted down to eye level with Nyx. "So, Rarity and I were talking about how to get you into the school, without the principals getting involved with your visit."

Nyx perked up a little and blinked surprised. "Really?"

Sunset nodded. "Mmhm, I can only bring a young family member with me if there is nobody home to look after them. My idea was to pass yourself off as my cousin."

Nyx's eyes glanced to her right in thought. She thought carefully about it and nodded, looking back to Sunset Shimmer. "Okay." She smiled.

~~~

Sunset Shimmer shared Nyx's smile, only for a moment until a sonic boom echoed through the sky. Sunset stood up quickly at the sound, Rarity looked to the sky; Nyx doing the same. Rarity let out a sigh, catching Nyx's attention.

"Rainbow Dash is at it again..." her tone was unimpressed and bothered.

Nyx looked up to Rarity. "Again? Who?" She tilted her head curiously.

"Rainbow Dash," answered Sunset Shimmer. "using her wings and flying again no doubt..."

Nyx was perplexed by this, flying? It was impossible for anyone to do that. "But.. people can't fly. T-there's no way..."

A rainbow streaked across the sky, the teenagers watched it form while Nyx removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes, she then cleaned the lenses with a cloth from her right pocket, putting it back shortly after and sliding the glasses back on. The streak of rainbow was still moving, suddenly nose diving and slowing down, the silhouette of a person appearing in the bright light of rainbow as it touched down on the ground, kicking up some dust. Nyx, Rarity and Sunset Shimmer coughed as the streak of rainbow vanished; followed by the cocky laughter which belonged to Rainbow Dash.

The dust cleared, a sparkling glow from Rainbow's back and head dimming until its light was no more. Smiling with total arrogance she jumped up and pointed to an orange child- who looked about Nyx's height but older, riding a scooter up the hill, huffing and panting from the long ride.

"Ha!I beat you, Scootaloo! Five points go to the Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow jumped up, lifting her right leg with the bend of her knee and fist pumping before touching down again, quickly spinning around to face Nyx, Rarity and Sunset Shimmer.

"Sup?" Rainbow put her hand up, fingers together.

"Don't you 'sup' us, Rainbow Dash. You used magic!" Rarity stopped her foot.

Nyx turned around to look at Rarity, her confusion only doubled. "M-magic..?" she whispered.

"So what if I did? I've used magic many times before," Rainbow said defensively.

"You know we can't afford the entirety of our world knowing we have Equestrian magic. We're lucky only the teachers and students know of it, we cannot flaunt it about like so," Rarity chastised.

Rainbow placed her left hand on her right arm and looked down. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? I'll be more careful." She looked up to Rarity, then down to Nyx, the sight of the child caught Rainbow by surprise, she couldn't help noticing her glasses, vest and overall appearance. "So who's the new kid?"

Nyx lowered her head to the ground and backed up toward Sunset Shimmer, she hid behind the amber teen shyly. Sunset looked down at Nyx, then back to Rainbow Dash.

"This is Nyx, she's my cousin visiting from up north," she said while trying to sound as honest as possible.

Rainbow looked at Sunset Shimmer, lifting an eyebrow. "Cousin? Are you sure about that? Last time I checked your not exactly from here." Rainbow folded her arms.

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck. "U-um.. w-well s-she's... um..."

"Visiting!" Rarity quickly put in.

"Y-yeah, she's visiting, she arrived just last week." Sunset put on her her best fake smile to make her claim seem genuine.

Rainbow, however, was not totally convinced and doubted this very much. "Cool..." she said with uncertainty before bending down, resting her hands on her knees. "Nice to meet you, Nyx. My name is Rainbow Dash."

Nyx looked at the blue skinned teen from behind Sunset Shimmer, her eyes looking down to her left. "L-Likewise..."

Rainbow stared at Nyx for a moment, turning her gaze to Sunset Shimmer afterwards. "She's not shy is she?"

Sunset looked back at Nyx. "Are you feeling okay, Nyx?"

Nyx glanced up to Sunset Shimmer, then back down to her feet, nodding and adjusting her glasses. "I-I think she's scary..."

"Scary? Why am I scary?!," huffed Rainbow Dash, folding her arms.

Nyx started to tear up at this, she kept her head lowered and stood closer to Sunset Shimmer as a result.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity growled.

Rainbow Shrugged. "What?" Suddenly there was a twinge in Rainbow's left arm, she cringed and held the area that had been hurt, rubbing it and turning to see what had caused it.

Scootaloo was pulling her right arm and fist back, looking mighty unhappy. "You cheated, you said no magic!"

Rainbow chuckled "You didn't say I couldn't fly, sorry sis, you weren't specific."

"I was so specific!"

Rainbow poked Scootaloo in the forehead, poking out her tongue at the same time, winking and grinning. "Sorry sis, maybe next time."

Nyx took a deep breath and sighed, feeling a little better. Sunset knelt down to her height, placing her left hand on her shoulder.

"Are you feeling better?"

Nyx nodded. "Mhm..."

"I'm just making sure, you know?"

"I know..." the irritation in Nyx's voice started to grow.

Sunset Shimmer stood up as Scootaloo approached, unbeknownst to Nyx.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around before."

Nyx jumped and turned quickly as she took a step back to face Scootaloo. The orange skin girl put on a bright smile, her hands behind her back.

"My name's Scootaloo, what's yours?"

Nyx stayed silent, she looked at Scootaloo before turning her gaze away to the pavement. Scootaloo's grin slowly fell, she lifted an eyebrow in confusion and opened her mouth to speak.

"Are you... okay?"

Nyx continued to stay silent, she had her hands behind her back, unwilling to utter a word at the moment.

Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash and Rarity watched the two, as other students passed them by, on their way into the building behind them. The three teens looked at on another, then back to Scootaloo who sighed and walked away

"Weird... I'll see you inside, Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo waved to her sister, heading for the doors of the school building.

"Catch you later, Scootaloo." Rainbow waved.

Nyx sniffled and took her glasses off, covering her eyes. "I'm not weird..."

Rainbow Dash folded her arms, while Sunset Shimmer and Rarity looked at one another and frowned.

"Nyx," Sunset said softly.

Nyx looked up to Sunset Shimmer wiping tears from her eyes.

"Why don't we go inside and take a tour of the school?"

Nyx looked to the building between Sunset and Rarity, Trixie, Twist, Snips and Snails were all entering the school building, Twist held the door for them before stepping inside and letting the door close behind her.

"D-Do I want to..? It looks big..." Nyx sounded hesitant.

"It's supposed to darling, it's supposed to accommodate approximately seven hundred and nine students, plus classrooms, gymnasium, pool and cafeteria, to name a few." Rarity put her right hand on her hip, twirling her hair with her left.

Nyx's eyes widened. "H-how can one building house so many rooms?"

"It's built that way, kiddo," answered Rainbow.

Nyx looked over to Rainbow Dash with contempt of the word 'kiddo'. "I'm not a "kiddo", I'm a girl..." She gave Rainbow Dash a sassy look with her hands on her hips.

Rarity covered her mouth to contain her slight bit of laughter, Sunset Shimmer face palmed with a smirk and shook her head.

"Looks like Nyx has a sense of humor," Rarity remarked.

Sunset chuckled in agreement. "Shall we get going, Nyx?"

"Hey, I thought we were waiting for Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy," voiced Rainbow.

"We'll have to catch up in the cafeteria, later." Sunset adjusted the strap of her bag and turned to start her walk toward the school, Nyx following behind.

"Okay darling, we'll meet up there later!" Rarity waved with a sigh.

~~~

"I've only ever given this tour twice, this is my third time."

"Twice?" Nyx looked up to Sunset Shimmer curiously.

Sunset Shimmer nodded. "Yeah, my first time giving students a tour was strange, but my second one was stranger."

Nyx and Sunset Shimmer were walking about the school building together, passing by students who took the time to stop and wave to the amber skinned teen, her likability having grown much more since the Dazzlings defeat, though this was not as apparent to Nyx, she had assumed her guardian was always so well liked.

"So... what made them strange?" Nyx looked up to Sunset Shimmer curiously.

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck. "Well my first time was when the Dazzlings showed up, they acted really weird, but it wasn't until the battle of the bands when we discovered what they really were," her tone was contemptuous but forgiving.

"Then for my second one, I showed Tree Hugger around the school, she's one of the Eco kids, a nature lover. She, Fluttershy and Councilor Discord get along well enough. The weird thing is that she always mentioned clearing her chakras and she kept forgetting my name."

Nyx giggled. "Tree Hugger sounds like a nice person."

"She is, she's... a gem, a unique person." Sunset smiled.

Nyx smiled. "Am I unique?"

Sunset Shimmer stopped and turned to look at Nyx. "Well... um...well.."

Nyx put her hands together in front of her, waiting with her eyes sparkling to hear what Sunset had to say.

"I... I found you in a box?" she said in a nervous voice with a shrug.

Nyx was not amused, she sighed and adjusted her glasses. "Really..? Is that it?"

"No, you have an adorable squeak." Sunset teased.

Nyx blushed and covered her face in an embarrassed fashion, walking right into the leg of somebody in front of her, causing both to stumble back. Nyx removed her hands and opened her eyes, looking up to the teen she had bumped into.

"Hey, watch where you're going kid!" a fuchisa skinned teen with purple hair and aquamarine streaks growled at Nyx.

"Aria, hurry up!" Adagio's voice came from behind Nyx, further down the hall.

Aria looked up in Adagio's direction. "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." She glanced back at Nyx before continuing on her way.

Nyx turned around and watched as Aria Blaze walked away. Sunset Shimmer, having seen Aria yell at Nyx, approached the child and sigh.

"That was one of the Dazzlings, Aria Blaze." Sunset put her hand on her hip.

"She didn't sound very happy... did I do something wrong?" Nyx looked up to Sunset, misty eyed.

Sunset shook her head. "No, Nyx. Aria is just a very angry girl. Shall we continue the tour?"

Nyx nodded with a new smile. "Yes please."

~~~

Aria Blaze rounded the corner at the end of the hall, turning into another corridor of lockers. Just ahead of her was Adagio and Sonata. Sonata was eating a hamburger while Adagio was taping her foot, her arms folded, an unhappy smile on her face. Aria kept her eyes fixed on the lead siren as she passed to her locker just past Sonata.

"It doesn't take much to distract you, does it?" Adagio sneered.

"I would have kept up if some brat walking around with Sunset Shimmer hadn't got in the way, Adagio," Aria scoffed, arms folded, leaning against her locker.

"You mean that new kid? She looks more like a nerd. I don't think she's bratty." Shrugged Sonata.

"You don't even know her you air-head," hissed Aria, eyes focused on the floor.

"If you two are done, I'd like to show you something that might turn your minds off of the Rainbooms and some little kid." Adagio sighed, turning the combination of her locker to open it.

Aria rolled her eyes and turned her head in the direction of the lead siren. "Ugh.. fine then, don't keep us waiting, oh great and glorious, Adagio."

Adagio gave Aria a spiteful look before opening and reaching into her locker, pulling out a big brown book of antiques and artifacts.

"Oh! A book!" Sonata beamed with excitement.

"A book, how exciting. We're going to read them under our spell. Great thinking, Adagio." Aria smirked with amusement.

Adagio sighed. "No you idiots, not the book! It's what is inside the book, page eight ninety..."

The lead siren opened the book to the exact page, revealing to her companions what was printed in word and pictures. "The Sister's Ruby's, better know as the Triplets Pendents."

"Whoa... they look just like ours." Sonata made a kissy face, her hand pressed to her cheeks.

"That's because they are our Pendants counterparts in this world," Adagio informed. "That is, these would be our pendents in this world, in case you didn't understand that, Sonata. Though unlike our real ones, these are not enchanted."

"So we're ditching the original plan to steal counterparts that don't even work, some plan, Adagio," Aria said sarcastically.

"We're not abandoning anything! This is just in case the original plan doesn't work and we can't fix our pendants."

"Whatever, when did you even find the time to find this out?" Aria put her left hand on her hip, leaving her right arm hanging by her side, she was crooked to one side, a look of bemusement on her face.

Adagio grinned and chuckled. "You would be surprised at what I do, when neither of you are around for me to babysit."

"So the reason you kept bailing on Sonata and I the past week, was so you could hang at the library and find some book on artifacts and antiques?" Aria asked impatiently.

"It's better then sitting around and doubting if the first plan will work, this is a back up but a hard one at that."Adagio let Sonata hold the book while she crossed her arms.

"What do you mean by hard one?" asked Sonata.

"If we take the Sister Ruby's they will be without magic." answered Adagio.

"But you said that "Equestrian magic is floating into this world and filling it to the brim." Couldn't we use our voices as they are now to enchant them with what magic lingers?"

"If only it were that simple, Aria Blaze. I've only just found out that Equestrian magic mingles with the forces of this world and dissipates quickly. If we're going to charge the ruby's it would have to be when the Rainbooms are showing off their magic, or if we're standing by the source."

Adagio looked Aria in the eyes, they were filled with doubt.

"That is if it comes to that, I still feel that repairing our original pendents is our best option. Trust me girls, I know what I'm doing. For now, we have to bide our time." Adagio gave Aria and Sonata her most devilish smile yet and laughed.

~~~

"This is the computer lab, and down there is the History block." Sunset Shimmer smiled, walking through the halls with Nyx close by.

"Com-pu-ter?" Nyx asked in confusion.

"Yeah, that was what I thought about it when I arrived, I had never heard of a computer before." She smiled sheepishly. "To sum it up, it's a box with glass on a bigger box that has pictures."

"S-so... what else is there?" Nyx looked up to Sunset Shimmer.

"Well, the answer to that question lies outside." Sunset smiled and lead Nyx outside and into the school yard where they stood earlier that morning.

Students were all over the place, exchanging gossip, songs, cards and Eco tips, depending on the group. Such varieties were astounding to Nyx, who knew only the passing of people and cars, which she would watch from her box home in the city.

"Up their is the roof top, artists enjoy going up there to paint the view, other students play music or just sit there and enjoy the view. Sometimes crushes meet up and confess their love, so romantic."

Nyx poked her tongue out and pointed into her mouth at the sound of love. "I guess it is romantic... but..."

Sunset looked back at Nyx. "But what?"

"But... ew.." Nyx giggled.

"Oh right, you're at that age where boys have cooties, and boyfriends and girlfriends are icky, am I right?"

Nyx nodded, bringing Sunset Shimmer to laughter.

"I can understand, I felt the same way when I was a little filly growing up in Canterlot." Sunset's slip of the tongue had escaped her, causing great confusion to Nyx.

"Anyway, lets move on." Sunset Shimmer motioned for Nyx to follow, which she did.

They followed the path around the school toward the oval, a large field big enough to house sporting events behind the school. To Sunset's surprise, there were students marking the field, the principals surveying the operation with another lady with a purple coat and a scowl.

"This is the sports field, usually we host the Gym classes here when not in the Gymnasium, it looks like they are planning for some big event."

"Big event?" Nyx tilted her head.

Sunset nodded. "I don't think its been announced yet, we'll wait and see." She smiled down at Nyx. "Now, the tour moves on to the Gym." She approached a set of doors and pushed them open, stepping into a large room with Nyx doing the same.

Vice Principal Luna turned and noticed the two girls just before they entered, squinting in curiosity before turning back to the survey.

"Wow... big room..." Nyx said in amazement.

"This is nothing compared to the pool room." Sunset chuckled, moving across the large room to the exit door into the hall.

"Pool room?" Nyx followed the teen as she stepped out into the hallway.

"Yeah, that's usually where swim classes are held, they start heating it up this time of year."

"You swim in hot water?!" Nyx's eyes went wide with shock and confusion.

The look on her face was enough to make Sunset laugh again. She held her stomach and covered her mouth, trying to contain her laughter.

"I'm sorry Nyx, really. " She cleared her throat and recomposed herself. "We don't swim in hot water, the water is heated just enough so it's not cold. Come on, I'll show you."

Sunset turned and ventured down the hall, turning left at the gym doors and eventually coming to a set of silver doors with windows. Nyx looked up at these doors and tilted her head.

"Windows?" she asked.

"They usually help to identify if it is the right class room, usually by recognition of a classmate's face or the teacher. So, shall we go in?"

"It sounds more like they interrupt lessons... and okay." Nyx smiled.

Sunset Shimmer opened the doors and stepped inside with Nyx, the room was dark, but the light coming in from the windows toward the ceiling illuminated enough to see. With curiosity, Nyx approached the water and knelt down, putting her left index finger into the clear, chlorine filled liquid to feel it was warm. Sunset Shimmer watched from the entrance in wait.

"It's warm..." She looked over to Sunset in surprise.

"They're probably going to use it today. Anyway, come back over here Nyx, we shouldn't really be in here." Sunset opened the door to leave.

Nyx quickly stood up and carefully made her over to the door, afraid she'd fall in. Once they were both outside, Sunset closed the door and stretched with a smile.

"And that Nyx, concludes the tour of Canterlot High, any questions?" Sunset crossed her arms, a joking look on her face as if expecting Nyx's question.

"Um.. y-yeah... W-where's the library?" Nyx's hands were behind her back, her eyes fixed on Sunset.

"Oh you wanted to know where the library is? I must have missed it." The teen scrunched up her face as she spoke sarcastically.

Catching on to the joke, Nyx folded her arms and gave Sunset one of her bemused glares. Sunset chuckled.

"Come on, lets go to the library."

Nyx's eye's sparkled, her face brightening. She happily jumped up and down, following Sunset Shimmer as they began their walk to this last stop on the tour.

=====================================================