• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 7,269 Views, 134 Comments

Nyx and the Sunset - Chaos Phantasm



Motherless, afraid, starving and alone. Nyx is only a little girl, forced to live on the streets of Canterlot City. Disregarded by everybody the young girl is sure to die, had she not been found by the only one who took time to notice her.

  • ...
14
 134
 7,269

05: New Friends.

Nyx and the Sunset

=====================================================

Chapter 05

New Friends

===============

"And last on our tour is, the library." Sunset Shimmer pushed open the windowed doors of the Library, stepping into the rotunda with a gob smacked Nyx.

The room was large, shelves of books rose high around the gigantic room, matching the shape of the walls. The area upstairs was no different, curved shelves against curved walls, shelves lined with book upon book. The rooms center was dominated by a round table, a golden headed horse statue rising in the center, laptops resting on the desk awaiting use. the ceiling was a giant glass dome, sunlight flowing through the crystal-like glass and illuminating the room as brightly as the grass outside.

Nyx stepped into the room, turning around to look at everything there was, books, more books then she could have ever imagined. The child looked at Sunset Shimmer who looked back, a smile on her face as Nyx's expression remained the same. Sunset chuckled and pulled out a chair to sit in, watching Nyx approach a shelf of history books, some were big, others were small, different covers, different titles, the same went for the rest of the books in the library.

"Big... library... big..." Nyx turned to Sunset Shimmer, surprised.

"Well yeah, it's a library. It's got books mostly for study, there are some novels and children stories you might like."

Sunset Shimmer's attention diverted from Nyx to the door, another girl had walked in, described as having a brilliant azure skin colour and pale cornflower blue hair; her name was, Trixie. The teen wore a hat atop her head, a light pinkish violet colour with stars, a matching cape tied together around her neck, forming her magician outfit. Sunset rested her head on her hand which held it up, her elbow pressed on the arm of the chair.

"Good morning, Trixie." Sunset smiled.

Trixie looked at Sunset as she strode in. She stopped and sighed, folding her arms. "Hello, Sunset Shimmer. What can the great and powerful Trixie do for you?" She spoke with her usual arrogant tone of voice.

"I'm just saying hello, that's all, Trixie." Sunset waved her hands to avoid trouble.

"Very well then, Trixie has noted your greeting." Trixie held her head high as though trying to impose royalty, turning her back to Sunset Shimmer.

"Are you still upset about the battle of the bands?" Sunset raised an eyebrow.

Trixie took a deep breath before turning back. "Of course not! Trixie is over that defeat! She now wishes to read a book on alchemy."

"You're still mad..." mumbled Sunset. "I don't know where the book your looking is, maybe it's in the A section."

"Really? Do you think the great and powerful Trixie is stupid? I would never have known to look there at all, I thought it was in the U section." Trixie said in a contemptuous and sarcastic tone of voice.

Sunset Shimmer sighed and stood up, approaching Trixie and coming to a stop when close enough. "If you have a problem, just tell me. Holding it in isn't going to help you any better then standing here like a statue."

Trixie grit her teeth. "There isn't anything wrong, Sunset Shimmer. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a book to find." She turned away and started walking in Nyx's direction.

Nyx rounded the corner carrying a book about the founding of Canterlot. Not expecting Nyx to suddenly appear around the corner, Trixie stopped just inches away from walking into her. She watched this new girl pass her, approaching Sunset Shimmer and showing her the book.

"Sunset, look at this, it's about animals." Nyx looked up at Sunset with an interested smile.

"Well, well, well. The great and powerful Trixie was unaware that you've become a babysitter, Sunset Shimmer. Is that why you were a no show last week, hm?" Trixie put her hands on her hips and bent forward slightly, biting her lip and making a kind of smug grin.

As much as Sunset Shimmer wanted to deny it, Trixie was right, looking after Nyx the past week had been on the grounds of babysitting, as much as it pained Sunset to admit to herself. She sighed and folded arms at Trixie.

"Yes, Trixie. I stayed home last week to look after my cousin here."

Trixie chortled in amusement, shedding tears which she quickly wiped away. "Your cousin? I highly doubt that."

"Why? What is there to doubt?" Sunset folded her arms.

"Well... uhm..." Trixie couldn't think of anything she could say to cast any kind of doubt. "Oh never mind, the great and powerful Trixie care's not for your family."

Sunset sighed loudly. Footsteps came from the library entrance, Nyx, Sunset Shimmer and Trixie turned to see who it was, a smile formed on Sunsets face when she saw it was Ms. Cheerilee.

"You two should head off now, class will be starting soon," the librarian told the girls when she passed.

Trixie watched the teacher pass by, returning her unhappy look to Sunset Shimmer before making her way out. Sunset watched with Nyx as Trixie left. With a sigh she turned around and approached Cheerilee by the computer table, Nyx following quietly as her excitement died down.

"Ms. Cheerilee." Sunset stood behind the teacher.

Cheerilee turned her head in Sunset's direction, her body turning slightly. "Is there something I can help you with, Sunset Shimmer?" she asked in a cheery tone,

"I need to ask a favor if it's not too much." Sunset had her arms folded, a hopeful smile on her face.

Cheerilee turned around completely to face her, it wasn't until she looked down and saw Nyx that she realized what kind of favor it would be.

"You want me to look after her?" Cheerilee held her hand out to Nyx during the conversation, confused and unsure.

Sunset stammered. "N-Not exactly... You would be in a sense as you are the librarian. I'm only asking if Nyx could stay here."

Cheerilee blinked in surprise, Nyx's purple hair caught the teachers eye and she looked down at the child. "I-I'm not sure, is she related to you?"

"She's my... cousin." The honesty in Sunset's voice was not as believable as it had been when she told Rainbow Dash.

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure about that, Sunset Shimmer? You aren't fibbing are you?" She placed her hands on her hips, making herself look big.

"N-No, no, I have nothing to hide, Nyx is visiting from up north and my aunts didn't know the semester was still going, I can't leave her at home, so I thought here would be the best place for her for the day."

"Great... now I sound even more dishonest then ever; somebody hit me, please..." Sunset thought to herself, smiling as convincingly as she could.

Cheerilee regarded Nyx carefully, she was only a child, what harm could she do if she only read books? The librarian smiled and knelt down in front of Nyx, putting her hands together in a prayer like way, pointing the tips of her fingers on the floor.

"Hello there, Nyx. I'm sure you already know me as Ms. Cheerilee. Welcome to Canterlot Highschool. Feel free to read whatever takes your fancy." Cheerilee put on a kind smile, the first truly genuine one Nyx had seen in ages.

Nyx smiled brightly and stepped forward a little. "Thank you, Ms. Cheerilee."

Cheerilee stood up slowly and looked at Sunset Shimmer with that same smile. "Alright, I'll let Nyx stay in the library during your classes."

"Thank you, Ms. Cheerilee. Nyx won't be any trouble at all, I promise." Sunset smiled assuringly.

Nyx looked up to Sunset Shimmer. "S-so how long will I be in here?"

"Six hours," Sunset replied.

Nyx blinked and looked around the library, a small smile on her face, six hours without Sunset Shimmer was perfect. "Alright then... I'll be good."

Sunset made a big side smile and folded her arms. "You better, we'll go get an ice cream when the day is done, do you like the sound of that?"

Cheerilee watched the both of them, taking note of how Sunset Shimmer was talking to Nyx.

Nyx's eyes sparkled. "Deal!"

With a look to Cheerilee, Sunset Shimmer adjusted her one strap bag and headed for the library doors, the bell ringing the moment she stepped out. The ringing had startled Nyx, she fell back and onto her bottom with a groan, holding her ears until the bell stopped.

"What's the matter, Nyx? You're acting as if you hadn't heard a bell before." Cheerilee looked at Nyx with a puzzled expression.

Nyx removed her hands from her ears and stood up, brushing herself off and blushing with embarrassment. "I-I have heard one before... it's so loud."

"Well they got to be if it's going to get the students to class." Cheerilee smiled. "Otherwise we'd have slackers in the halls."

"Slacker?" Nyx tilted her head.

"It means lazy. But thankfully, the students here at Canterlot High are very literate, and enjoy coming. Though, those Dazzlings are something, I wasn't here when they arrived, I was away all through the Battle of the Bands."

"Why?" Nyx tilted her head.

"Family matters, I was in the hospital." Cheerilee's smile was warm and proud. "By the way Nyx, how old are you? I can pick out books that fit your age range."

"I'm seven, and it's okay. I'd like to choose for myself, thank you for offering." Nyx put her hands together behind her and crossed her legs over.

Cheerilee continued to smile, this time at Nyx's manners. "Such polite manners. Your parents must be proud."

Nyx's expression changed quickly to sadness and she slowly lowered her head.

"If you need anything, just let me know, I'll be right over there at the reception." Cheerilee picked up the books and made her way over to her desk.

"O-okay." Nyx's expression changed back to a happy one, a fake smile across her face.

She looked around the room and let out a deep sigh. "Where should I start?"

~~~

Sunset Shimmer's foot steps echoed through the halls as she ran into the foyer, turning right and heading up the slightly rounded staircase to another row of lockers to the left and right of a hall with more corridors. The teen stood still and sighed.

"Sunset Shimmer." A voice came from the stair well.

Sunset turned around at the sound of her name being called almost in panic, the voice belonged to Vice Principal Luna. The vice principal approached Sunset Shimmer, a look of suspicion on her face, her tablet in hand.

"Would you care to explain what you are doing outside of class?" She folded her arms, lifting an eyebrow and waiting to hear what the teen had to say.

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck. "I don't exactly know what lesson I have." She gave an unsure look to Luna.

The vice principal sighed and pulled up the tablet. She pulled out the stylus and started tapping on the screen in search of a timetable. Sunset waited, and while she did; Applejack poked her head out of the door of English class two B and into the hall. She looked down the corridor one way, then looked the other, toward the stairs where Sunset Shimmer and Luna stood. Noticing the two, she quickly exited the classroom and approached them.

"There you are, we have our English lesson now, and here you are runnin late." Applejack put her hands on her hips.

Luna lifted an eyebrow and tapped the screen of her tablet, putting her stylus away afterwards. "Off to English then, Sunset. I don't want to catch you out of class again."

"It won't happen again, Vice Principal Luna, I promise." Sunset Shimmer turned around and followed Applejack to the class room.

Applejack sighed and looked back at Sunset, stopping in front of the door and facing her.

"I heard you brought your cousin, but Rarity also said there's more to it then that."

"I'll tell you later when all of us are in one place, talking about it in class around others isn't a good idea." Sunset gripped the strap of her bag, avoiding Applejack's eyes as if she found telling her un-trusting.

"Probably for the best, especially when she's in class..." Applejack stood aside and allowed Sunset to see into the room.

Adagio sat in the third seat of the middle row, her eyes fixated on her workbook, her hand where her pendent once laid. A look of worry appeared on Sunset's face, she looked at Applejack before going inside and taking her seat, Applejack doing the same. Adagio's eyes shifted to look at Sunset while she sat down, a small sneer forming at the corner of her mouth before looking back at the open page before her.

As Sunset laid her textbook out on the desk, Applejack sat in her chair backwards to face Sunset. She folded her arms on the chair's back part and rested her chin on them.

"I know you don't have cousins in this world, Sunset. I'm just a little concerned and it's buggin me," whispered Applejack.

"I told you I'll fill you all in at recess... Please Applejack, just let it go for now."

"I can't... Sunset I trust you and all; but this feels like some kind of cover up. You're not from here, and there's no way anyone can come and go through the portal, not since Twilight left a year ago."

"I know that. That's why I want to tell you, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy at recess. Please let it go for now."

Applejack was hesitant and stubborn. She grit her teeth and looked to the floor, sighing and looking much calmer. "Alright, I ain't goin to push it any further, not while class is on anyway."

"Speaking of which, where's the teacher?" Sunset rested an arm on the back of her chair, a puzzled look on her face.

Applejack shrugged just when the teacher walked in, wearing a blue suit and carrying books.

"Okay class, sorry I'm late. Lets get this lesson started shall we, the teaching starts when a word of knowledge is lent, to be kept and never returned, you go forth in your lives with the things you have learned." The teacher spoke in a very calm, and smooth voice. A wide smile on his face.

Smiles appeared on the faces of the pupils, Adagio's not-withstanding. Applejack faced the correct way around and opened her book to a page on poetry. Sunset Shimmer did the same.

"I hope Nyx is keeping herself occupied. She's not a bad kid but I suppose with kids her age you expect chaos," Sunset thought to herself.

~~~

Cheerilee was looking through piles of returned books the students had borrowed, she placed each one on a trolley before getting behind it and pushing it along to put the books back on the shelves. She started sorting the books by shelf, then she glanced over to Nyx and noticed she had already amassed quite a large number of books, stacked in small piles around her. Cheerilee blinked in surprise before approaching, her footsteps alerting Nyx to her presence. Looking up from a book, Nyx turned her head in Cheerilee's direction.

"H-hello again, M. Cheerilee."

"Hello again, Nyx. It looks like you got quite a lot of reading to do." Cheerilee looked at all the books that formed a kind of fort. She then noticed the book Nyx was reading, large, with many words and few pictures. She recognized the book, having seen Fluttershy read it many times.

"I see you have a book on animals there. It's quite a big book." Cheerilee looked over Nyx in thought, "You know, I could still get you some books that fit your age range. That book is much too advanced for a little girl your age."

Nyx looked at the front page briefly, before looking back to Cheerilee. "It's okay, I need to learn how to read. Sunset Shimmer has been encouraging me to read more, I started out with the Dr. Stroke books, they've got funny rhymes. My favorite is the one with the kitty."

"The Cat and the Box?"

Nyx nodded, a smile on her face. "Mhm. At first I didn't like reading, but Sunset Shimmer helped me. She's been helping me a lot."

"You two must be very close then." Cheerilee felt warmed at hearing Nyx talk about Sunset Shimmer positively.

Cheerilee smiled down at Nyx before returning to sorting the books, Nyx looked back down to her book and sighed sadly.

"...To be honest... I don't... I don't like her..." Nyx touched one of the barb wire scratches on her legs. "And I don't know why..."

Nyx sighed and closed her book, putting it aside and picking up another. The process of reading continued for quite a while. Cheerilee watched as Nyx went through one book after another, putting finished reads on top of a pile that almost made a pyramid, the little fort of books Nyx had made was slowly coming apart. The first period bell rang and disturbed Nyx until it stop, and when it did she would go back to reading, oblivious to other students who came in during the second period. Shortly after, Nyx frowned and whined softly and took off her glasses, rubbing her eyes which watered.

"Maybe I should stop for a moment..." she sighed, putting her glasses back on and blinking.

She looked around at the books and frowned, then she looked at the pile she had made and cringed. She stood up and started to pick up a lot of books from the pile, taking them over to Cheerilee's desk when she did before turning around and repeating. Two students took notice of Nyx, they glanced at the pile of books then looked at one another. The two girls approached Nyx and the pile and started picking up books.

"Let us help," said one.

"It'll get done a lot faster like this," said the other.

Nyx watched the two girls pick up books and take them over to the counter. She picked up the last few books and put them on the desk with the others, the two older girls stopping to look at Nyx, a smile on both of their faces.

"T-thank you f-for helping me...." Nyx smiled slightly, her hand on her arm and her gaze to the floor, her voice soft with shyness.

"It was nothin, you looked like you needed the help," the first girl said. "Name's Apple Bloom."

"And I'm Twist." Twist pushed her glasses back into place, waving to Nyx with a big smile.

"What's your name?" asked Apple Bloom.

"M-my name's Nyx..." Nyx looked at them, keeping her head lowered.

"Cool name," Twist remarked.

"I've never heard of a name like that before, who gave it to ya?" Apple Bloom leaned in slightly, eager to know.

Nyx looked at Apple Bloom with uncertain eyes, before looking down at her own feet and falling silent. Apple Bloom and Twist watched Nyx do this before looking at one another then back at her. They frowned, Apple Bloom rubbed the back of her neck while Twist held her hands in front of her, resting them against herself.

"I'm sorry, I guess you'd rather keep it to yourself then," Apple Bloom apologized Apple Bloom.

Nyx continued to stay silent, keeping her gaze away from Apple Bloom. A pair of voices drifted into the library, accompanied by the footsteps of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. Nyx looked past Apple Bloom at the noticing the two approaching girls.

"Hey Apple Bloom, Twist!" called Scootaloo.

Cheerilee gave Scootaloo a harsh look, putting her finger to her lips and informing her to be quiet. Scootaloo flinched with a nervous chuckle and continued forward. Apple Bloom and Twist turned to see their friends, greeting them while Nyx stood back.

"Where were you two? We've been waitin all lesson for you to show up," Apple Bloom frowned and sighed. She put her hands on her hips and bent forward questioningly.

Scootaloo rubbed the back of her neck. "Sorry, Apple Bloom. We got caught up in Principal Celestia's office. Turns out the new rules state I can't ride my scooter around inside the building."

"Wasn't that always a rule?" Twist asked with a raised eyebrow.

Sweetie Belle noticed Nyx and was surprised. "Hello, I didn't see you back there until now."

Nyx looked down at her boots shyly, going silent and holding onto her arms behind her back. Twist and Apple Bloom moved beside Nyx so she wasn't obscure behind their backs.

"This here's Nyx, we were just helpin her put some books away," Apple Bloom said with a smile.

"She's shy," Twist added.

Scootaloo recognized Nyx instantly and leaned close to Sweetie Belle and whispered: "That's weird girl I told you about..."

Nyx looked over to Scootaloo and took a deep breath. "I'm... I'm not weird... I-I'm not a weirdio." Nyx furrowed her eyebrows, looking angry even though she wasn't.

"My name's Sweetie Belle, it's a pleasure to met you, Nyx." Sweetie Belle had her arms behind her back. She had a welcoming smile which Nyx slightly warmed up to.

Scootaloo smiled and folded her arms. She appeared relaxed for no reason at all. Nyx noticed this and was confused. She asked herself why Scootaloo looked so relaxed. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Twist-a-loo looked at each other and rolled their eyes at Scootaloos' laid back look.

"Here we go..." Apple Bloom giggled.

"W-what? What is she doing?" Nyx hunched her shoulders as if cowering.

"She's trying to see if you're "cool" enough to hang with the Crusaders. Don't worry though it's just her way of letting you know she likes you." Sweetie Belle assured Nyx who wasn't so sure.

"I-I only said one thing..." Nyx looked up to Sweetie Belle, even more confused then before.

A corner smile formed on Scootaloos' face, her eyes were half lidded, her teeth visible at the corner of her mouth. "So Nyx, you wanna hang with us, the Crusaders?"

Nyx blinked in confusion. "Crusaders?"

Scootaloo nodded then was joined by Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

"When Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and myself are together, we are the "Canterlot High Crusaders!!" The three girls struck bizarre poses, as if they were costumed rangers with giant robots.

Twist clapped at the conclusion of the C.H.C's little show. Nyx stared blankly in confusion, her glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose slowly, while Cheerilee harshly shushed the girls, causing them to wince.

"Sorry," said Sweetie Belle to the disgruntled teacher.

Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle approached Nyx, when a loud sound came over the intercom, followed by a kind voice.

"Attention students, this is Principal Celestia. I would like to take this moment before recess to remind you all that the sports field is currently out of bounds following preparations for an upcoming event. I urge you all to stay away during this time until further notice, thank you."

Then the voice was gone with a loud click and the buzzing of static. Following this, the bell began to blare, loud was its ringing, it made Nyx cover her ears which hurt from hearing it.

"I really don't like that sound..." muttered Nyx.

Scootaloo patted Nyx's back and looked at her. "You'll get used to it eventually."

"Hey Nyx, would'ya like to hang out with us?" asked Apple Bloom.

Nyx tapped the tips of her index fingers together. "Um... well... Sunset Shimmer asked me to stay here... but... um... I suppose with Cheerilee's permission I could—"

"Excuse me, Ms. Cheerilee," Sweetie Belle said over the counter to Cheerilee. "Is it okay if Nyx hangs out with us for recess?"

Cheerilee looked at Sweetie Belle, then at Nyx. She put her closed hand to her chin in thought. "I-I don't think that's a good idea... She is my responsibility and I promised Sunset Shimmer I'd look out for her."

"We'll bring her right back before the bell rings, Sunset Shimmer doesn't have to know, we promise," Apple Bloom tried to assure Cheerilee.

The girls were met with a moment of silence then a deep, exasperated sigh. "Alright, but Nyx is not to leave school grounds and is to be brought back here immediately before the third period bell, understood?" Cheerilee crossed her arms and lifted an eyebrow at the three.

The girls smiled with halos aglow above their heads. They turned back to Nyx and took her hands.

"But what about the books I'm reading..?" Nyx asked with worry.

"They won't be touched, I assure you Nyx," Cheerilee said with a smile.

"C'mon, lets go sit by the old oak tree," Apple Bloom beamed as she, Nyx and the others girls walked out of the library and down the hall.

From a nearby table, a girl watched the Crusaders with the lower half of her face obscured by a book, her friend with glasses was highly engrossed in hers.

~~~

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Twist all chattered among themselves as they walked through the corridors past classrooms. Nyx followed them, her mind wandered elsewhere as her interest in their conversation mattered little to her. Her eyes crew a little misty, her head pointed down at the floor as her thoughts were deep.

"Nyx..?" Apple Bloom said, placing a hand on her arm.

Nyx blinked and looked at Apple Bloom, stopping in front of a door that was slightly opened. "D-did you say something..?"

"I was just makin sure you weren't goin to run int'a things. You weren't exactly focused just then."

Nyx flushed brightly. "I'm a deep thinker... I'm sorry."

"Don't sweat it, now c'mon, you're gonna fall behind." Apple Bloom let go of Nyx, and with a smile she ran after her friends who had made it a fair way down the hall.

Nyx took a step forward to follow, only to stop as a voice emerged from the room beside her. the voice sounded young but wise, he spoke much like a preacher addressing a hall of people. Nyx approached the door quietly and peered inside through the small opening. She saw other students, still sitting and listening to their teacher. Intrigued, Nyx opened the door just a little more to behold a light blue skinned man with a bright blue finely tailored suit. His white hair had been gelled back like a mullet and on the pocket of his suit was a symbol. Round with a silver crescent moon in the center, ringed by an eight corner star colored white. The inner areas of the emblem was black.

The man sat up on the teachers desk, his back covered half of the name on the name plate, but one word could be seen clear as day... Nexus.

=====================================================