• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 1,973 Views, 271 Comments

Another Horizon - Crystal Wishes



Down on his luck, Silver Script receives an offer too good to be true: free rent, free food, and only one rule... "Don't fall in love with me."

  • ...
16
 271
 1,973

Holding it Down

I felt like I was on top of the world, like I was capable of anything. My body felt more alive than it had since, well, since Parasol broke up with me. Being with Velvet in an intimate way—sans the actual intimacy part, of course—reminded me what it was like to feel pleasure.

Once the literal heat of the moment died down, however, I was filled with sudden dread. All the spine-tingling sensations vanished, leaving behind a hollowness that echoed a single question: what had I done?

I'd thought with the wrong head, that's what. Typical stallion, I cursed mentally.

From around the corner, I could hear the shower running. I blinked and looked at the empty space beside me; when had Velvet left? Had I just been sitting here, lost in my own mind? Obviously, the answer was yes, but nopony wants to believe they can be that oblivious to the world around them.

But, the plus side of her being out of the room meant that I could puzzle through the pros and cons of my current predicament.

Pro: I had just slept with Velvet Step, and it was amazing.

Con: I had just slept with somepony I wasn't romantically involved with.

Pro: She insisted that she wasn't interested in me, either, so it wasn't like I was leading her on.

Con: I had agreed to get her pregnant, and that was kind of a big deal.

Pro: I didn't have to take care of the foal—?

That was where my mind ground to a halt. The idea of there being a foal with my blood in her veins that I didn't raise, that didn't know I was her father. Was I really okay with that? I wanted foals of my own someday, but I wanted them with a loving wife.

The sound of water hitting porcelain grew louder and I knew Velvet had moved out from under the spray. Her voice hollered from the bathroom, "Are you going to shower or should I just turn it off?"

"One second," I called back with a small squeak to my voice. I still needed time to think. Was I okay with being an absent father, with a foal of mine never knowing who I was?

My legs felt wobbly and weak as I slipped off the bed and made my way to the bathroom. Velvet had already stepped onto the bath mat and was drying her mane with a towel, though she paused to look up at me. I saw apprehension in her eyes and so I took the opportunity.

"So, uh, about what just happened," I started, then stopped when the look she had turned to panic.

She asked in a voice that sounded as fragile as I felt, "What about it?"

I released a sigh through clenched teeth and pushed past her to step into the shower. With the curtain between us and hot water massaging my back, I could think a little more clearly. "I'm not going to go back on my word, I just, can we talk a little more about it?"

The shadowy silhouette of Velvet's form shifted behind the curtain as she leaned against the wall. "Okay."

"I guess my first question is: is this why you let me stay here in the first place?" I closed my eyes and tilted my head back to get it under the spray.

She sighed. "Yes."

I felt a little betrayed by that, and my immediate thought fell out before I could filter it. "So this whole time has just been about using me for what you want?"

The curtain snapped back, startling me into looking over at Velvet's serious expression. "Look, you're my friend, okay? You seemed like somepony that this might work out with, but if it isn't what you want, then just say so."

It was hard to stay bitter when she was staring at me with such conviction. "I—" I swallowed around a lump in my throat. "I told you I won't go back on my word."

Velvet's ears folded back against her mane. "Technically, you didn't give me your word. You didn't promise me anything. I put you in an impossible situation." Her hoof withdrew and the curtain separated us once again. "You pushed me away when I tried to make a move on you, sure. But then I made the offer too soon right after that. I should have let you cool off first. So, okay, you can back out."

All I could do was groan and rub at my temple with one hoof. "Can I think about it a little while longer? I'm not saying I want to back out, I just—I just want to think it over without the smell of sex in the air."

She barked a laugh at that and her shadow softened as she moved away. "Sure. That's fine."

I still had so many questions, but I didn't think Velvet was the right pony to ask them. I needed somepony else's perspective, but who could I talk to? I didn't know very many ponies in Canterlot, and I sure as hay wasn't visiting Ponyville for this.

After I finished my shower, I dried off and snuck out of the condo like I was doing some sort of walk of shame. I lived there! And, yet, right then, I felt like a stranger in my own coat. No-strings-attached sex, friends-with-benefits roommate, future absentee father? These were not things that were normal for me.

There was only one place in Canterlot that felt safe and normal—Sunridge Sweets. Sunbeam and Pepper Ridge were two of the nicest ponies I'd ever met, and they always had work for me to do. Bussing tables and helping them out would give me time to clear my head so I could really think things through.

The happy little chime of the bell above the door already put my mind at ease. Pepper was behind the counter like always, his expression the very essence of calm and collected.

"Well, good morning, Silver," he said, waving a hoof as I approached. "Did you have breakfast? I just baked some cranberry muffins." He winked. "Red's going through a phase."

A smile tugged at my lips at the mention of that cute little guy. "Aww, I thought he was into banana nut muffins just last week?"

Sunbeam scoffed from the doorway to the kitchen. "If you ever have a foal, then listen to me, silverbell: their attention span is much shorter than a week."

And just like that, my mind was a whirlwind again. There was an assumption there that if one had a foal, then one raised the foal. What Velvet wanted from me was wrong, then, wasn't it?

Pepper's eyes became filled with concern. He's always had a knack for picking up on things like fear and uncertainty, and I was full of both.

"Sugarbeam," he said, giving his wife a casual smile, "could you mind the counter for a moment? I have some stallion stuff to talk to Silver about."

Sunbeam raised her brow and her lips pursed into a fine line while her gaze travelled over my face. She was judging me right then and there, as if Pepper was going to invite me into the family and she had only a moment to decide how she felt. Finally, she shrugged and trotted over behind the register. "Sure thing!"

As Pepper walked past me, he gave a bob of his head in silent demand that I followed. What was it with Velvet's family and being able to lead me around without a word?

Pepper took me to a little green space not far from the bakery and sat down on a bench, patting the spot next to him. I sat down with a little harder of a drop than I intended, but my heart was pounding all the way to my ears.

"So, Velvet made her move?" he asked, his gaze focused on the clouds overhead.

"Move?" I squeaked. "What move?"

A sigh slipped past his lips. "I know my daughter. She wants a foal, and the adoption process is too slow for her. She asked you to live with her and you haven't been run off." He glanced at me with a calm smile. "It doesn't take a lot of thinking to put two and two together."

I couldn't meet his gaze. I'd slept with his daughter! And he knew it! How could this get any more awkward?

He waited a while longer before sighing again. "Silver, it's fine. I don't need the details—please spare me those, thank you. But I know that she's put you in a, well, abnormal position."

"What do I do?" I blurted out, clasping my forehooves together and squeezing tight. "I mean, what am I supposed to do? I don't want to say no, but is saying yes the right thing to do?"

Pepper hummed in a moment of thought. "Why does there have to be a right or a wrong? I think this is a situation of many shades of grey. Of course, I'm biased." He chuckled. "I want my daughter to be happy, but I also don't want her to hurt somepony in the process."

There was a small inhale of air and I saw his gaze dart to the side. I knew that face. Ponies made it when they were stopping themselves from saying 'again'.

I sucked in a breath and pressed, "What happened before?"

His eyes widened and he burst into an awkward laugh. "Oh, well! Before? Hmm, what do you mean, before?" He looked back up at the sky. "Before what?"

"I don't know, because there's a lot about her I don't know." I started to find strength in having the advantage for the moment when Pepper gave an uncomfortable squirm. "She told me that somepony fell in love with her once, and it ended badly. What happened? Why is she so desperate to have a foal? Why now, and not later? She has a great career. Why give that up?"

Pepper raised a plaintive hoof. "Okay!" The hoof moved to run through his mane. "Okay, you have some valid questions. Some of them, I think, you should ask Velvet herself." His nose scrunched up and he shook his head. "But I will tell you something she probably won't out of pride and stubbornness."

I turned on the bench to face him completely and nodded to implore him to continue.

"You see, I come from a family of bakers. Sunbeam comes from a fairly normal, average family. Househusbands and housewives with an office-worker spouse. Velvet getting her cutie mark as a ballerina came as a huge surprise, so we researched ballet to try to prepare ourselves for her future. What we learned scared us."

My brow furrowed. "Scared you?"

"Very much," he replied, nodding with a solemn frown. "Ballerinas are so prone to injury. Velvet's always been healthy and she takes great care of herself, but accidents happen. And there is so much pressure on them. 'The show must go on' and all that. Last year—" His lips twitched, as if reliving whatever he was able to tell me.

"Last year?" I prompted after a pause of silence between us.

He blinked out of his fugue. "Not even a full eight months ago, she hurt herself on stage. Twisted her knee and tore the muscle. I don't know the name of it, but it wasn't good, that's for sure. And she made it all the worse by pretending she was fine, continuing to dance until the performance was over."

Eight months ago? That was when I was in Saddle Arabia—with Crystal Wishes. My ears drooped as I realized that meant Crystal hadn't been there for Velvet when she likely needed her most. I couldn't imagine how that must have felt: lying in the hospital with her best and closest friend overseas and totally unaware.

"But I think," he continued, unaware of my little inner monologue, "the worst of it wasn't the injury itself. Before, she seemed to accept that adopting a foal would take time. Then she started to get, well, manic about it. That injury changed something in her."

He shook his head and looked at me with a sad smile. "My daughter's scared of change, of the unknown, of loss. We all are, but for some reason, she is more than others. I think she's afraid that if she keeps waiting and waiting for a foal, she might injure herself again in the meantime. And next time, it might be permanent."

Slowly, I nodded, running through the facts again in my head. "Most of that makes sense, except—well, even if she got hurt again, she could still be a mother. I mean, you're not talking about her dying on stage... right?"

"No, no, certainly not!" He gave a soft huff of a laugh. "But say she can't walk on one of her legs, can't play with her foal in the park, can't chase after her in a game of tag. Say she gets seized up with pain and has to stay in bed instead of spending time with her foal. If I know her, these are the kind of fears she's got running through her mind." His lips quirked. "No pun intended."

I didn't have the mental capacity to laugh at the pun. I was feeling bad for Velvet. Was pity enough of a reason to give up my foal? My jaw clenched and I looked over at Pepper again, hoping to find an answer in his face. Though his expression was soft, it wasn't helpful.

"What do you think?" I asked in a voice that was surprisingly weak. "What would you do?"

Okay, I hadn't thought that question through, and I immediately regretted it when his nose scrunched up. "Well, ignoring the fact she's my daughter—"

"Sorry," I squeaked.

"—and looking at the situation solely as a stallion, well, I don't know. I'm a family stallion now, but when I was young? Before I met Sunbeam?" He shrugged. "I didn't date much, but that wasn't for lack of trying. I'd like to think I'd have been against the idea of it ethically, but when you're actually faced with an attractive mare making an offer like that, it's not the same.

"What I do know is that Velvet is determined, she was a great caretaker for Red, and she has our support no matter what path she takes. I know that she wouldn't be the only single parent in Equestria. And I know that I'd be happy to call you my son-in-law, but I also know that won't happen. Velvet just isn't that way."

He reached out and clapped a hoof to my shoulder before standing up. "If it helps, you can say no and it won't mean the end of the world. You don't have to do this. Just make sure that if you do, you're serious, because this won't be something you can change your mind on later."

"Yeah," I said, remaining where I was on the bench. He bobbed his head in acknowledgement of my desire to stay. "Thanks, Pepper. This helped."

The smile he gave me was, finally, comforting. It told me that I couldn't be wrong. That my decision was mine to make, and nopony else's. I really appreciated it, so I smiled back. He trotted back to the bakery, and I closed my eyes to focus on my thoughts.

Velvet was trusting me with something deeply personal to her. She was afraid, and that wasn't a word that came to mind when thinking of Velvet Step the graceful ballerina or Velvet Step the sexy clubber. Confidence was her mask, and I was being shown what was behind that: a mare who wanted to be a mother so badly that she was afraid.

She was willing to give up not just her career, but the life she was accustomed to just to have a foal. That was a level of dedication that I really admired.

My hooves twitched and, suddenly, I was standing. In my heart, I had already known I wasn't going to back out. Even if I hadn't made a verbal promise, I'd agreed by sleeping with her. But now I had certainty that I'd made the right decision for me.

The walk to the condo was much better than the walk from it. Indecision had guided me before; now I was leading with determination. I flung the door open and announced, "Velvet Step! I've made a decision!"

Velvet looked up with wide, startled eyes. She slowly lowered the book she had been reading to the floor beside her sitting pillow, then folded her hooves in her lap. "Um, okay."

"I stand by my word."

She waited for more, then blinked with realization. "You mean—"

"Yeah." I closed the door behind me, momentarily flushed with embarrassment at having left it open so the whole hall could hear me. "This definitely isn't how I imagined my life going, but I'm okay with it. If you want a foal, then that's what I'll do."

There was a glimmer in Velvet's eyes, something between relief and joy. Her voice, of course, belied none of this. "That's great news, then!" The grin that her lips were usually cocked into found its way onto her muzzle. "I mean, what if you got me pregnant last night and you decided to back out now? That'd be super awkward."

I'm not a psychologist, but I know that Velvet Step covers up her emotions with humor. And even then, I knew how happy she was to realize her wish was coming true. With a smile, I crossed the room and took her in my forehooves.

"Silver! What are you doing?" she sputtered, half laughing, half pulling away from me.

"Showing you how to be happy like a normal pony!" I squeezed her to my chest. Reluctantly, she returned the hug, and we remained like that for a while. "Hey, just promise me one thing?"

Her body tensed in my embrace. "What?"

I put my lips to her ears and whispered, "Promise me you'll be a little less amazing in bed so my future marefriend stands a chance."

Velvet slapped a hoof against my back and laughed, fully and wholly this time. "Okay, but only a little." She pulled back to wink up at me. "I have a reputation to maintain, you know."

I knew. I also knew that she was, behind that grinning reputation, actually really sweet and kind of fragile. I could only imagine how she felt when her knee had twisted. Not just the physical pain, but the fear that must have welled up inside her as she continued dancing.

This was the least I could do for her. The least I would do for her. And once my part of the deal was done, I'd move on and start looking for my future marefriend. Surely by then I'd be ready. That was my hope, anyway.

How naïve I was to think anything is that easy.