• Published 15th May 2012
  • 1,252 Views, 21 Comments

Among Luna's Stars - LadyofSorrows



Ponies have always used Princess Luna's stars as guides, a source of entertainment, or just to look

  • ...
2
 21
 1,252

The holes friendship can't fill

The holes that friends can’t fill

Nepta sighed and looked away from Cecilia’s stare. Cecilia cooled off a bit as well and was quick to break the silence.

“Is there something you needed Princess Cadance?”

Cadance glanced at Twilight to get the equally puzzled look from her friend.

“Well no, but this is the first time I had the chance to meet you in person after all I have been told about you. We arrived 10 minutes ago, but Celestia is busy along with Luna on a matter of state. I was told they would meet with us here when finished. So if what I overheard is correct, This dragoness is Spike, but you have just called her Nepta. If she is Spike, why not call her by his name?”

Cecilia answered the question after taking a seat on a nearby bench.

“That is because Nepta is a dragon goddess, and that necklace was hers, it is a direct link to her, and she exploited said link to bring herself into the mortal plane. She used Spike’s need for assistance to modify his body to that of which you see now. She completed his request, and also used it for her own gain as well.”

Nepta mused slightly; “The way you say that might paint me a villain.”

Cecilia shook her head looking at the dragoness.

“If anyone is a villain it’s me, this stupid war has gone on for too long. It’s my fault your bitter, but share with Spike and I’ll see what I can do about keeping you here.”

The dragoness lost a little poise and blinked a bit looking left and right.

“Well, she’s in a better mood now, but what brings you over Cadance?”

Cadence smirked hiding her smile behind a hoof; Spike sounding like a female was just too much not to have a laugh or two.
Spike rolled his eyes; “Yeah, yeah, Spike messed up and sounds like a girl, but what kind of number one assistant would I be if I let my family get kidnapped by changelings.”

Shinning Armor looked at Twilight; “Twily, this is something you should have told us sooner, if they are going after you, the other elements could be in danger.”

Twilight shook her head; “I doubt that, I was targeted specifically for a reason, and the Princesses will explain everything. Arcadia might even do a little explaining if she comes with them. However to settle your worries, Cecy, am I Twilight Sparkle?”

Cecilia nodded and shifted the conversation away from changelings for the moment.

“She’s your sister Shinning Armor, but I’ve heard very little about the Crystal Empire outside of a few stories Twilight has told me. I take it you weathered the invasion?”

Shinning Armor nodded; “It was rather quiet, then again the crystal heart is quite a defense, my assistant in charge over there was quite adept in handling things.”

Cadance smiled a bit; “The worst we had was a group of griffons flying close by, and they caused a bit of a stir among my subjects. It was quickly settled, but it’s not surprising you haven’t heard much about the empire given its only been back for a few years now.”

Cecilia raised an eyebrow and Nepta spoke up.

“How do you misplace an empire?”

“That is a good question, I’ve been keeping tabs on some of the crystal ponies studying that question, and so far their conclusions point to some pretty high level spells that seem rather hard even for a unicorn of Sombra’s caliber. The study of dark magic is forbidden, so we won’t know if dark magic is stronger than normal magic.”
Twilight’s answer stole all the words out of Shining’s mouth, so he just closed it.
Cadance leaned close to whisper in his ear.

“You know how Twilight gets when there is talk about magic.”

“I just wish we could get a word in edgewise sometimes;” Shinning whispered back to Cadance.
Cadance gave a soft giggle to match Shinning Armor’s chuckle. Nepta turned to look at Twilight a sense of serious seemed to fill the area.

“Dark magic is indeed stronger, but to achieve strength quickly you sacrifice something of yourself in the process. Clearly this Sombra you mentioned was not very nice after the rise to power."

Twilight shook her head.

“He became a tyrannical king enslaving the crystal ponies, and ultimately bringing his first demise down upon him by the royal sisters. Then he tried to do it again after the empire returned, and thanks to some teamwork from my friends and a big effort by Spike we managed to defeat him for good.”

Nepta shook her head.

“Nothing dark stays gone, it festers in the shadows for the light to wane, and your descendants will need to be ready. Your kingdom will need to be prepared as well Princess Cadance.”

Cadance nodded glancing at Shinning Armor briefly before looking up at the dragon.

“We will be, thank you for sharing your wisdom Lady Nepta.”

Nepta snorted lightly a ring of smoke expanding out in a perfect circle.

“I do not wish to see the darkness swallow anymore innocent lives than it already has.”

The sound of hoof steps ended the conversation with that as the group turned to see royal guards coming to take posts, and behind them were the princesses. Arcadia already looked taller, but the crown still looked big on her. She wasn’t bothering to disguise herself which gave some peace of mind to Cecilia. Cadance chose an amused look.

“Play with some magic and make yourself young Chrysalis?”

Arcadia’s mask faltered a bit to allow the pain to surface.

“The former Queen is dead; she failed in her attempt to assassinate the griffon king and general. I was her chosen heiress; I have taken the throne as Queen Arcadia of the Changelings.”

Luna spoke next while Arcadia recovered her composure from delivering such news.

“In a little bit I intend to tell ponies of the media that a truce has been agreed upon between Equestria and the Changelings, and that hostilities towards changelings are to cease. We have discussed a few short term solutions that will help their image and better their standing with our subjects. However, Arcadia, Tia, and I understand that some wounds will take time to heal properly and more permanent solutions are not feasible at this time.”

Cadance felt bad picking on the changeling now, she had no clue, and knowing what she knew now made her guilt worse.

“Please allow me to apologize for my poor taste in humor.”

Arcadia shook her head and responded with sad tone
.
“I have to accept and deal with the mistakes Chrysalis made, one of those is hurting you in the days leading up to your wedding, if a poor joke at my expense spares me being thrashed about the garden at the mercy of your magic. Then I count myself lucky, but there is time to mend that bridge. I have two others that require immediate attention, the first being Queen Cecilia."

Arcadia approached the queen bowing politely first before rising to speak.

"Tatiyana offered her help, and we took it without question when she believed the lie we told her. My mentor is dead because of a lie she told, and what little she did to fix her mistakes is not enough to repair the damage. I have fallen to that sin of deception as well, and because of it Twilight Sparkle’s assistant violated a promise to you."

Cecilia looked up at Glaxia in the sky before looking back at Arcadia.

“Tatiyana asked me if Chrysalis was going to be okay after she left Glaxia. Tatiyana isn’t a fool, she’s had to survive among liars and thieves for some time, and she knew she was being lied to. The minute she left Glaxia she passed beyond my sight, meaning she crossed into the care of my sister, and when that happens you are close to your time to die. I told her that truth and she cried Arcadia, there is nothing you need to apologize for. If you want to impress me, survive, and don’t give up like Chrysalis did.”

Arcadia looked as if someone kicked her puppy.

“She…She gave up…?”

Cecilia looked up at a tree.

“This is where you come in since I don’t know.”

Jezabelle dropped to the ground.

“She was tired Arcadia, tired of being hungry, tired of fighting a losing battle, and after two defeats she gave up. There were already more than a few changelings questioning her decisions, she did the only thing she could do which is spare her hive by stepping down as queen and apologizing to Equestria through Luna. You were right, she would have never been happy as a regular drone, which is why she did what she did.”

Spike spoke up rather suddenly; “Well depressing part aside let’s do something awesome like flying, or surprise visiting some random stores to see how hysterical we can make the sales ponies. I’m even game for walking around town and introducing Arcadia to everypony that doesn’t run away in terror.”

Twilight looked up at the dragon.

“Spike those are terrible ideas, we’re trying to help her image, not make her into the nightmares of young foals. I wouldn’t mind stopping by the bookstore before heading back.”

Arcadia picked her head up to look at the position of the sun.

“I think it’s a great idea Spike, I’ll brave it if you come with me.”

Spike sat back and folded his forearms in front of his chest.

“You know I can’t pass this up, so who else is going to brave ridicule and political suicide to walk with a changeling?”

Jezabelle stepped up and Cecilia yawned taking a step forward as well.

“Tatiyana will meet us down at the gate, she’s looking forward to getting something nice to remember this place.”

Cadance took a step forward; “I’ll go as well, you coming Shinning?”

Shinning Armor nodded taking a step forward, this made Arcadia look back a bit surprised.
Luna spoke up next shaking her head.

“I must pass on this outing as I need to rest for night court.”

Celestia also shook her head; “I need to draft a letter to our military units and update them, and I have audiences to finish.”

It went about as well as expected, store owners and staff were terrified of Arcadia, and on more than one occasion they were kindly asked to leave some stores. The press ponies swarmed them on the street, and the agreed upon game was to see who could go the longest without giving a comment or asking them to move away. It was a game Spike lost the most considering his new size left him sitting on the street most of the time, and he was never gifted with Celestia’s patience. However, Nepta was not one to sit quietly in the back of his head and suffer defeat at the hands of little ponies. She took the time while the others were inside the stores to teach Spike an anti-trampling spell.

Cadance had to laugh a bit at the bookstore, it was more like a bargain store that specialized only in books, and most were second hand previously owned books.

“Twilight, you call this a bookstore?”

Twilight was already browsing the spell book section as she spoke in the defense of her childhood heaven.

“While it lacks many of the new releases that the more expensive stores carry, you would be surprised at some of the antique books that some ponies would bring here to sell. I picked up my first copy of “Star Swirls enchantments and transfigurations” from here at a fraction of the cost a new reprint would in other bookstores. Also, the owner can get me any new print book I want; I’ve made Broken Spine very rich over the years.”

Shinning had to laugh a bit; “I remember his young filly actually gave you a book for a present.”

Twilight’s blushed; ‘It…it wasn’t even about what I thought the title meant…”

Arcadia flicked her eyes at the mare behind the counter that seemed to be staring at her. Her cheeks had a slight red tint to them.

“I believe she is working today, but given what I sense in you. I will take a guess that it was a romance book?”

Cadance blushed slightly as the memory surfaced, the long lecture Twilight received from her parents. How uncomfortable they looked giving it to their still rather young daughter. She and Celestia were in the room, and Shinning Armor was on duty watching the door to the throne room. She answered for Twilight.

“It was a book about sex, and it had notations on what worked and what didn’t. It was written by two mares who loved each other.”

Arcadia didn’t understand how two females could love one another. That sort of thing didn’t exist in the hive, it was a weakness against reproduction, and Chrysalis didn’t tolerate weakness of any sort.

“Does Twilight still have it?

Cadance shook her head no.

“Her parents brought it back here the next day and had a talk with the owner and his daughter.”

Arcadia glanced back at the counter and the mare had conveniently busied herself shuffling some books around. Looking to the stack floating in her magic, she approached the counter resting the stack of ten books upon it.

“I will take these, please.”

The mare added up the cost; “That will be eighteen bits please.”

Jez held up her hand.

“You can add it to my tab when I checkout.”

Arcadia turned to look at Jezabelle.

“Thank you Lady Jezabelle, but I will wait outside with Spike while you all finish up.”

Arcadia exited the store and sighed glancing at the mixture of royal guards and groups of ponies talking about her.

“I’ve assisted Twilight enough to know something’s got you down.”

Arcadia brushed her eye with a hoof.

“I’m not looking forward to returning to the hive, it’s going to be heartbreaking to see the starvation all over again.”

Arcadia looked up at the giant ship filling the heavens; Spike followed her gaze up, but looked back down. Arcadia spoke while still staring at the ship.

“One of Chrysalis’s last happy moments was the kind generosity shown to her by a simple nurse. I don’t know if this “little piece of heaven” is what changed Chrysalis, or if it was the trust she was given.”

Spike spoke up; “What was the favorite thing for you to do when you were in disguise here growing up in Canterlot?”

Arcadia gestured to where two foals were mimicking the first battle of Canterlot, although the colt of the pair was not happy being the changeling. Although the pegasus filly was not exactly the best Cadance either.

“Teaching the children at the orphanage, playing with the younger fillies and colts, overall doing my best to keep them happy despite the terrible fact they lost the two that loved them more than I.”

Spike watched the inaccurate events being played out by the young ponies.

“You know about a showmare named Trixie, right?”

Arcadia tore her gaze away to look up at Spike.

“There is not a changeling in the hive who is unaware of Trixie Lulamoon. Why do you ask?”

Spike looked at Arcadia gesturing to the young ponies, and both turned their attention back to them as Spike answered her.

“She was branded a traitor by all pony kind, long before she aided Chrysalis, just because she was born into the Lulamoon family. Her family supported Princess Luna all the way up to when Luna turned to Nightmare Moon. Even after Nightmare Moon was banished they supported Princess Luna, at the cost of their lives in the anarchy that ruled in the short months after. Trixie never really had a chance to rise above a simple showmare, and it took her foolish mistake to finally drive home the fact she needed other ponies to help her. The point is Arcadia, if Trixie can do it, so can you, but I’ll help you the best I can.”

Arcadia turned and looked up at Spike.

“I grew up here, and what breaks my heart the most is that I know some of these ponies that watch me now. They know me, but even if the shell was a lie, the heart was genuine, and now that they see me without a disguise. They want nothing to do with me, they fear me even while knowing me, and its pain I cannot swallow.”

Spike gestured to the crowd; “Ponies only fear what they don’t understand, ponies in Ponyville knew me for over a year, but they feared me when my greed went out of control. It took a lot of talking through Twilight on my behalf to make them understand what happened, and I still get the stink eye now and then when it is brought up in conversation. They know it is something I couldn’t control once I let get too far, and it’s a lesson we all had to learn through experience since much isn’t known about dragons of my kind.”

Arcadia smiled a little bit; “I thought your sister was the smart one?”

Spike struck a heroic pose for a dragon, but given the fact he was a female dragoness. The pose ended up being absolutely adorable and cute instead despite Spike’s thought out plan.

“I’ve got a goddess roaming in my head and her body to boot. I totally am using this advantage so I can get some cool points.”

Arcadia started laughing at the scene so hard she had to lay down.

“Oh Spike, the only thing you’ll earn doing that is a marefriend.”

Spike noticed a lot more laughing and humored faces in the crowd, and a very disappointed sigh in his head.

“So I take it my totally heroic pose failed miserably?”

A soft giggle from behind and Spike looked to see Cadance looking up at him.

“You keep that up and we’ll have a lethal dose of D’aww. I’m starting to like this new you, you sure he can’t stay that way Cecy?”

Cecilia rolled her eyes descending the step onto the street.

“No Cadance, Nepta has survived centuries as a goddess, but a sure fire way for her to fall would be to leave her in the immature mind of a whelp. I could not be responsible for such to a dear friend of mine.”

Arcadia stood back up and marched over to the group of press ponies that stayed back as told to by Spike several stores back.

“I hope your magic can keep up, because I’m only going to give you this once.”

Arcadia watched them scramble to cast recording spells and pull fresh pads of paper from their saddlebags. The more high end reporters had recording crystals. She began when they were ready.

“Everything you know about changelings is what your fear and overzealous politicians have led you to believe. I was sent here to learn, and I have learned both good and the bad. Now it’s my turn to educate you, the ponies of Equestria, on what a changeling really is. We are an intelligent race, stunted in progress due to starvation, let us face the facts, you can’t learn when you’re hungry, and you can’t waste resources teaching useless subjects. Second part, we are not vampires, we don’t suck emotions out of anypony, and if any of my changelings ever tried I would kill them on the spot.

Chrysalis is dead, her agenda died with her, I don’t blame anypony for contributing to that, or to lady above who hosted her last. However, what I want Equestria to understand is that I do things differently, and Like to told Princess Celestia. All I want to do by the end of my days is walk down this street without needing a disguise to hide behind or a group of guards. These are my first steps, sadly it was not my idea, but I have not been disappointed in doing so. I will end this with a question you can debate on in your back columns and cafés. If you were in my position, how would disclose the truth to those you know deserve it?”

One of the reporters quickly spoke up as his recording spell caught up and flipped a new page.

“Your majesty, are you going to use the education and the experiences of you living here to educate your hive to better blend in to our society?”

Arcadia went to answer but paused thankfully before she could utter her words. Rethinking about it she finally answered the question.

“Yes I will, but I will not permit my changelings to use that to deceive. Education is there to make us better ponies or changeling in my case, and I want to see my changelings use what I teach them to make friends with ponies. I want them to stand on their own without a disguise and be accepted by those who once thought them monsters.”

One of the other reporters spoke up, her question aimed at attacking the suspicions her readers might have.

“Your majesty…"

Arcadia stomped her hoof interrupting the reporter.

“Please do not make me greater than yourself; it will be some time before I earn the right of ponies to address me by title. Just call me Arcadia, but please finish your question.”

The reporter took a moment but spoke her question.

“Arcadia, there are those ponies who would see this as a ploy to gain trust only for betrayal once you gain equal footing. How can we believe your words having nothing to assure us?”

Arcadia looked at the reporter with the calmest face possible.

“I either stick to what I promised or in 13 months my hive is dead from starvation. I will repeat what I said earlier, Chrysalis is dead, and I’m not out here to instill nightmares or grow hatred at me. I’m out here, at the suggestion of a friend, to prove I am different. I will take one more question from somepony who hasn’t already asked one.”

“What can you tell the hundreds of victims of two invasions who feel justified in that changelings should be destroyed?”

Arcadia and even a few of the reporters looked at the stallion standing alongside the road. Arcadia turned to face him.

“I would tell those ponies to do nothing. I will do nothing to them. They can bitter for the rest of their lives, and I can make friends and save my people with my life. The holes that friends can’t fill, are the holes made of regret and loss. The golden age is over, you got punched in the nose, and you’re looking for someone to fight. I’m not going to be your victim, direct your hate elsewhere. I lost a mother, and I think every moment that i'm in way over my head, I have a plan, but acting on it takes time. I want to do something for those that changelings hurt, but won't accept it now if I tried."

Arcadia looked back at Spike.

“I think I’m ready for a change in scenery Spike.”

Arcadia looked down the road and started to walk. Spike let loose a fit of feminine sounding laughter as he started to follow.

“Hey Twi, how jealous do you think our friends will be for having missed out on this?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Canterlot Central Orphanage)

Abbey Belle finally sat back down at her desk after returning and checking up on her staff and children. She settled the little ones fears about her being arrested, stating it was all just a misunderstanding by the guards and the princesses. That she was not going anywhere and that she would be up at the usual time to read them the bedtime story. However, there was always the daily reports to fill out since she was a government subsided orphanage.

A knock on her door interrupted her latest calculation for the food budget for next month. She rubbed her temples and looked at a mirror briefly to ensure her disguise was perfect before turning to the door and putting on her sweet voice.

“Come in.”

The door opened and two stocky unicorns in well tailored suits entered to be followed by Prince Blueblood. Abbey immediately felt threatened despite the calm nature of the prince. She moved the stack of paperwork aside for a moment before standing and bowing slightly.

“Your grace, I’m surprised by your visit, I do believe my audit last month went well…”

Blueblood looked at the chair briefly before looking away in disgust of it and speaking as he did while never looking directly at Abbey.

“Yes, you’re audits have been impeccable and rather sound the months prior to it as well. You are very good as a director and the amount of successful ponies that have left your orphanage having never been adopted is a credit to your leadership. There was a rumor floating around the castle earlier, one that caught me completely unaware, and it was revolting to think about being true.”

Abbey swallowed hard and as Blueblood turned his eyes to finally look at hers the pit opened up in her stomach. He knew, and all that was left to discover was how bad the blackmail would be. He continued, his features never leaving their calm appearance which sent a shiver of fear through Abbey.

“To find out that I had been tricked by that bug queen annoyed me. I dislike being outplayed by such pests, and before your hive can tattle to your new queen. I must see to her demise, or at the very least make the populaces see her words as sweet deceit.”

Blueblood’s smile began to broaden as revelation after revelation dawned in Abbey’s features. He continued finally sitting in the dirty chair.

“So how I intend to do this is by having you conveniently murder the children in this establishment before being killed by the guards I’ve handpicked. The news will sweep through Canterlot like wildfire, and there will be mobs large enough to kill your new queen before the sun sets. That, changeling, is what you get for deceiving me all these years, a broken heart, and a painful death.”

Author's Note:

I swear I've done so much reading here rather than work on this. I gave my word to see it done, and i will finish it. As always, i never think I'm the best at grammar, which is why i never comment about it in other author's stories, and if anyone wants the job to help edit this by all means message me.

Now in the progression of things we finally have the succession of the changeling throne. However, I'm not handing them a clean slate because the princesses say so. They probably won't achieve Arcadia's dream for them in the course of this story. That will be a whole separate story in itself.

As always thanks for reading. If you've something you want me to read, by all means leave a link to it in the comments and I'll go check it out.