• Published 15th May 2012
  • 1,252 Views, 21 Comments

Among Luna's Stars - LadyofSorrows



Ponies have always used Princess Luna's stars as guides, a source of entertainment, or just to look

  • ...
2
 21
 1,252

Precious Resources (Part One)

Precious Resources Part One


A mare and her two foals were talking with Arcadia. They were terrified to meet the changeling at first, but noticed that Princess Cadance and Shining Armor were nearby and not alarmed. There was also the giant dragoness that was with them, and the dragons had come to save them from the attacking enemies a few days ago. Maybe what Princess Celestia had spoken about earlier was true, that the changelings were no longer an enemy, and taking a chance she answered the questions. The more she spoke with the queen the more her guard dropped and soon she felt silly as she laughed along with the queen as her two children came around to start showing the queen some things they learned in school. The mare was surprised at how good Arcadia was with children, but wrote it off as what she knew of changeling queens having to be a mother to thousands.

Cadance merely observed before turning to her husband that was watching the scene as well.

“I hate to think about it Shiny, but I actually think this could work. She really seems so different from Chrysalis, and she is doing so much to earn our forgiveness and trust.”

Shining Armor waited a moment before looking into his wife’s eyes, the distrust was still there, and he noticed the effect it had on Cadence in her ears lowering slightly. Closing his eyes he exhaled sharply, and opened his eyes he spoke.

“Cady, I understand she is trying to turn a new leaf. I believe her words, but the guard in me is having trouble trusting in something that killed me a few days ago. I will try for your sake, but I will need time is all.”

Cadance smiled and pressed her muzzle into the side of his for a quick kiss.

“Thank you Shiny…”

Shining Armor smiled, gesturing to the young foals with a forehoof.

“I think something else might be on your mind too.”

Cadance leaned back with a gasp of joy.

“You’re finally ready to give me such a precious gift? What about your plan, you had Twilight formulate such an extensive argument to wait another two years before we tried for our first.”

Shining rubbed the back of his head.

“So you knew I asked my LSBFF for help?”
Cadance smiled knowingly before turning her eyes back to where Arcadia was speaking with a stallion at a stall.

“Twilight tells me everything in her letters; she can’t keep secrets from me outside of those made under a pinkie promise, and even those she struggles to keep.”

“You know what dear? Forget about the plan, if foals will make you happy, then I will do my best to fulfill that wish, and make you the happiest mother in all the Crystal Empire.”

Shining Armor almost regretted the statement as Cadance looked back at him with stars in her eyes.


The scene paused on the screen and the little girl pushed back from the screen before jumping up with a squeal of restrained happiness. Her precisely made wings, ears and tail clashed with her clothing badly, but she didn’t care. She reached back to manually fold the wings, and pushing the band up in her hair to put the ears back in position after her little jump from the chair she walked to the door with confidence.

It opened with a hiss and Glaxia walked out into her mother’s office. The Lady of Sorrows was busy doing paperwork, but she looked up and blinked a bit at the pink ears, the pink feathered wings, replica crown, and multi color wig and tail. She tried hard to not laugh, but limited it to a minute earning her a frown from Glaxia.

“Oh don’t give me that face Glaxia, you’ll give me a heart attack, but what in Cecy’s name possessed you to do this?”

Glaxia’s frown faded and she smiled again moving over as Sorrow turned her chair ready to receive the cos playing Glaxia. Glaxia climbed up and gave her mother a hug.

“I’ve been watching ponies while we look for the ship, there so cute, and I have so many favorites. Some of the girls down in the intelligence department have already picked their favorites. I showed them my costume and they showed me their picture collection so far. I had to kindly ask them to get back to task before their superiors caught on and lectured them. Momma, can we go down and meet Princess Cadence, I want to show her my costume, and maybe get a picture of me with her.”

SalSane sighed as she slid Glaxia back down to stand on her own. She looked at the paperwork on her desk and back at Glaxia’s hopeful face.

“I’m sorry Glaxia, really I am, but I’ve been putting this off for too long as it is. I never asked the princesses if it was okay for any of my crew to travel down for anything other than official visits.”

Glaxia face turned to disappointment and she trudged back towards the terminal room, the sound of a sniffle, and Sorrow cursed under her breath turning to press a button on her desk.

“1st Lieutenant Barnum, have your replacement take over for you, and step into my office.”

A short moment later a voice came back over the speakers in the room.

“On my way Captain…”

The hiss of a door and SalSane looked to where Glaxia was about to cross the threshold back into the terminal room.

“Glaxia wait, I can’t go right this minute, but if you can get Celestia’s permission you can tour the city and meet your princess.”

Glaxia turned back around and wiped the tears off her eyes.

“You’re not joking this time?”

SalSane got up from her chair flexing her wings a bit before folding them and moving over to take a knee.

“Glaxia, you’re the closest thing I will ever have for a child in my life, and I’ll admit things on this ship are old sights to you. It’s only because I ask so much of you, that I’m being serious in letting you go with escort. I’ll still be worrying over you.”

Glaxia looked lost for a moment but she responded anyways.

“Why? I simply default back here to within my ship side systems where I came from if I die, and you can remake me at leisure.”

Glaxia watched SalSane’s face grimace and files were pulled from ship side memory and poured into her consciousness. It triggered the biological response and Glaxia flung herself to hug her mother starting to cry again.

“I’m so sorry momma, please don’t be sad, or mad at my foolishness.”

The door to SalSane’s office hissed open and Cecilia and Jezabelle’s mother stepped in pulling a quick salute.

“Reporting as ordered Captain.”

SalSane glanced over at Mindy.

“At ease, and give me a moment.”

SalSane comforted Glaxia enough to stop her crying, and eased back out of the hug.

“I’m glad you understand now why you shouldn’t think so recklessly, but you should compose yourself since you’ll be showing up in front of royalty.”

Glaxia nodded and jetted over to another door which led into a small bathroom.
SalSane moved back behind her desk but remained standing.

“Mindy, my daughter expresses a desire to go planet side and meet a princess. I’m buried over my head in paperwork, and cannot accompany her as I would like to. I’m rather intrigued by these ponies as well, but my duties to the people here come first. She has to ask for permission first, but will you go in my stead as her protection?”

Mindy responded her eyes not moving from SalSane’s.

“She won’t leave my sight, but what are the rules of engagement?”

SalSane smiled and sat down in her chair.

“You’re a mother yourself, which is why I requested you, your daughters are currently down there, and you’ll get the chance to meet some of the ponies that fixed Cecilia. I am sure I count on your discretion in handling threats to my daughter’s safety.”


Celestia was about to announce the end of audiences for her small afternoon break when the flash of a magic caught her attention and got the guards along the walls to shout orders. Two guards were suddenly flanking her with leveled spears towards the threat. Glaxia moved closer to Mindy as the guards on the main floor were now surrounding them with weapons. Mindy remained perfectly still, but opened her eyes as her ears twisted to catch the sounds of her non visible opponents. Celestia noticed Glaxia’s costume and spoke with an amused tone.

“Princess Cadence, I do believe I need to have another talk with Twilight about timing and appropriate spells to be used on ponies . At ease gentle colts, give our guests some room to breathe.”

The guards backed off a bit and raised their weapons, the two at Celestia’s side did not move, but moved their weapons up. Glaxia looked at Celestia, and taking a hesitant step forward from Mindy’s side she spoke.

“I’m not Princess Cadence, I’m Commander Glaxia Celfus, living AI interface for the ship in orbit that bears my name, and this is my protection detail officer senior 1st Lieutenant Mindy Barnum.”

Celestia nodded and spoke.

“I’m Princess Celestia of Equestria, caretaker of the sun, and one of the ruling princesses of Equestria. To what honor do you visit me?”

Glaxia felt a little more relaxed by the calm amused tone of Celestia.

“I came to tour Canterlot, and get a better understanding of your ponies. I want to meet Princess Cadance and get a picture with me and her! Mom told me I had to get permission first, so can I, please? I promise to behave myself!”

Celestia gave soft giggle to the bottom of her left forehoof.

“I had no idea The Lady of Sorrows had such an adorable child. May I impose to be in a picture too?”

Glaxia smiled seeing that her childishness seemed to have won her favor with the princess. I a little jump of joy which caused the spring latch on her wings to pop open flaring her wings. Glaxia blushed a bit and reached back to fold them again while she answered Celestia’s question.

“Sure, is their more than one princess?”

Celestia nodded coming down from her throne.

“Three as of now, me, my sister Princess Luna, and Princess Cadence to whom you wish to meet in the city. Princess Cadence has moved on to rule the Crystal Empire, but she was first and foremost an Equestrian princess.

Glaxia smiled and a small screen appeared above her head showing Luna, Yuma, and Glaxia in the elevator.

“I already got Princess Luna’s picture, her assistant was having a bad day, she didn’t like the transport pads. I felt bad, but Blue Ink did like the view from the bridge windows. Commander Samantha told me she wouldn’t stop staring out the window.”

Celestia looked at the picture with a knowing look on her face.

“Luna never did like elevators; she couldn’t quite put the trust in something other than fixed stairs. I wondered if she had more earth pony in her than pegasus.”

Glaxia dismissed the screen and dug around in her side bag procuring her camera, which she held out to Mindy. Mindy took the device and began setting it up as Glaxia moved over speaking as she did.

“What happened to Luna’s assistant is also a condition to many aboard ship. It’s called MTS or molecular transport syndrome, and that means those affected by it have to walk to their destinations or use the multi directional lifts. The leadership works with those individuals in picking assignments that are within decent walking distance to their work station. So I can sympathize with Princess Luna’s phobia of elevators.”

Celestia nodded before taking her pose with Glaxia and the flash of the camera and Mindy lowered it. Glaxia turned in place giving Celestia a brief hug before stepping back beside Mindy. Celestia spoke as Glaxia took her camera back from Mindy and put it away.

“You have my blessing to seek out Cadence and enjoy Canterlot for as long as you wish, but have you any news on that rouge warship?”

Glaxia stiffened at the mention of the pirate vessel, before looking to the side.

“I’m sorry Princess, but I cannot tell you anything at this time without permission from mother first. I have just posted your inquiry to the tablet of the on duty commander of the deck to inform the captain. I can give no estimated time of response as mother was doing the monthly civilian affairs paperwork at the time of my departure. Any response will be forwarded to your set of glasses only to prevent information causing unneeded action by defenders.”

Celestia never let her trademark look of calm fade as she responded to Glaxia.

“Thank you for doing what you can Glaxia, but I have detained you long enough. I’ll have one of the guards escort you out of the palace.”

Glaxia’s childish smile was back on and watched as one of the guards broke formation along the wall and came to a stop at their side. Celestia glanced at Mindy.

“Please show restraint when dealing with possible threats. My little ponies don’t always put their best hoof forward at times, and I don’t want a misunderstanding to turn to tragedy.”

Mindy spoke with her tone neutral as her body language.

“I will do my best to work within the combined guidelines.”

Celestia gave a slight nod of her head.

“Thank you, any leeway you can give will


(Canterlot City, statue of the celestial cycle,)

The street marked Palace Way runs from the mountain road entrance to Canterlot, all the way to the front gates of the palace. Each intersection has a statue depicting a famous pony, a princess, or act being portrayed. Each princess statue was set in the center of a fountain. The founding of Equestria was the first statue, and the last intersection before the palace stood a statue named mother. One could mistake that statue to be of an earth pony, but the sculptor adamantly spoke to his dying day that it was not to represent any one tribe. It was to represent the mares of any tribe and give them a monument to the greatest achievement and blessing one could bestow upon the world in their lifetimes.

The statue of the celestial cycle replaced the aging statue of Princess Platinum, and situated at the third intersection from the palace. It was dedicated on the first public outing Princess Luna and Celestia made after Luna’s return from the moon. It was a gift/promise from Celestia to her younger sister. This was the location of alliance guard unit fourteen, or at least that was what they were called on paper. It was simply a sergeant rank royal guard overseeing a dragon and minotaur that arrived to reinforce the defenders of Canterlot during the attack a few days ago.

Most of the reinforcements were sent back to their homes after the attack, but those who stayed were the curious sort who exchanged aide for time to explore the land of ponies. Even then only a handful still remained in Canterlot, the luster having worn off after a few days and the needs of home becoming more important. While old rivalries remained the ponies were thankful for their help, which eased some of the old rivalries to be put aside for good.

Garble angrily shoved a handful of gems in his mouth as he lay bored out of his mind watching ponies walk around the fountain. He grinned somewhat bemusedly at how some of the ponies would stop and stare at him eat. Was it the small fortune being grinded to dust by his teeth, or the fact that he could grind such hard gemstones easily and they feared it could be their bones next?

In truth Garble had only three ponies he ever wanted to get revenge on, but they took a back pool to the little whelp that made a fool of him. He was going to find Spike and hang him up by his tail before he flew back to the dragon lands. He had to be careful about how he did it, if the dragon of Starfall Mountain found out he could get himself and his mother into a lot of trouble. Worse he could end up on her bad side, and no dragon survived that that he knew of. There was also the strange being that rode upon her or flew beside her, if a dragon of that caliber was humble in her presence that means she is not to be underestimated either.

“If you're done plotting your revenge Garble, there is something interesting that can get us out of this crossroads for a little bit.”

Garble cursed ever telling this foul creature anything about him. He glanced over at the minotaur male and swallowed his finely chewed gems wondering when their pony guard would get back from dealing with a shoplifter.

“What can be so interesting to bother my lunch and risk my temper at slandering my honor Two Shanks”

Two Shanks humphed and pointed way down the road at the orphanage.

“Why you were daydreaming about getting your revenge on the untouchable dragon, and risking your head at harming three element bearers. Prince Blueblood walked through here, and his two shady escorts I had to question. He sold me some garbage story about them being his bodyguards, and that I shouldn’t involve myself in the business of the crown.”

Garble growled and stood up tossing the last ruby into his mouth hastily chewed it before responding to Shanks.

“I give you points for harassing royalty, and a prince pony at that. Let’s get out of here.”

Two Shanks picked up his long sword and put the strap over his shoulder so the hilt was above his left shoulder. He started down the street, and Garble found it annoying to maneuver around ponies and carts. How he missed the first few days when the ponies would flee as he came down the street or avoid him as they came through the crossroads.

“So what is it you think the prince is up to Shanks?”

The minotaur shrugged his shoulders.

“How should I know, he was rude to me and told me to mind my own business when I asked, and unlike you I know when to back off.”

Garble chuckled as he flew over a cart rather than walk around it, and found it easier to just hover along rather than keep up with the threading of the crowded streets as the late afternoon rush began.

“Shanks, I’m taking two of those points back from earlier for being a wimp.”

Shanks rolled his eyes as he walked underneath the dragon.

“I have sense enough not to take on three well trained unicorns. I might get lucky with one if I can get in close and surprise them. I don’t have your magical resistant scales you know, and I lack enchanted armor to provide the same protection. So I use my head, something that brash young mind of yours will learn someday when you’re sent packing with your tail tucked.”

Garble just humphed and landed suddenly in Shanks path causing the minotaur to stop before running into the red dragon’s tail.

“Alright, I may have earned that, but a little warning before you crush me next time.”

Garble stepped out of the way showing the perfect back view of Mindy as she calmly followed Glaxia who was running from window to window looking into the stores.

“Is that one of those cat people that crashed here, or is it from the metal thing in the sky?”

Two Shanks rolled his eyes and jabbed his finger into the chest of the drake.

“Why don’t you use all that courage you say dragons have and go ask it?”

Garble hated being put on the spot and stormed forward much to the delight of Shanks who hoped this thing would teach the drake some manners.
Mindy felt the pavement shudder as something heavy approached from behind her. Stopping she spoke.

“Glaxia stay put.”

Glaxia turned around to acknowledge that she heard Mindy and she saw the dragon approaching.

“Mindy, a dragon, behind you…”

Mindy pivoted on one foot as she sank into a defensive crouch. Garble stopped dead in his tracks bringing his claws up to waive off an attack from the stranger.

“Whoa there , I’m not going to attack you, I’m just want to ask you a question, and I didn’t mean to upset you or anything. I’m one of the good guys.”

Mindy’s eyes narrowed and with a quick glance back to ensure Glaxia was still where she was she looked back at the dragon.

“That is to be determined, put your hands down, keep your wings folded, and I so much as see a hint or smell of fire I’ll cut your head off.”

Garble heard the muted laughter from behind him, and by its deep tones he knew the source.

“Why don’t you come up and introduce yourself you two legged flea bag?”

Two Shanks stepped up beside Garble.

“Afternoon, I’m Two Shanks, and this red carpet of scales is Garble. We are part of Cecilia’s efforts to help Equestria shrug off their griffon problem.”

Mindy’s eyes slid to Shanks slowly but she didn’t move a muscle anywhere else.

“So it seems you know my daughter, what is your question dragon.”

Garble swallowed nervously seeing as this stranger was very much in control of the situation.

“I never had the chance to speak with your daughter, and learn anything about your kind. Do you come from that?”

Garble pointed up at the ship that filled the heavens above the sky.

Mindy charged her claws, the blue tint of magic growing as she hissed out at the dragon.

“What did I tell you about your hands?”

“Stand down Mindy.”

Glaxia cautiously approached and noted that Mindy had yet to dispel her magic.

“If I have to repeat myself Mindy Barnum, mother will know before I finish bringing us back to her office.”

Mindy released the energy and her claws returned to their normal color. She relaxed and turned facing Glaxia while keeping the two in her peripheral vision.

“I was given special permission, you know that, and yet you pull rank on me. Why?”

“I am also aware of the warning Princess Celestia gave us. I don’t want my time cut short by an incident. If I have to I will tattle to Lola. If you will not see my reason, her love will make you see reason.”

Mindy turned back around to look the dragon square in the eyes again.

“I do come from the ship above, it has been my home for years now, and has been the home of my daughters as well. I am a hybrid neko, an anthro feline race that was created through science using the parts of three of the strongest races in the universe at the time. We are all born female, and that is everything that I’m permitted to disclose.”

Shanks spoke up gesturing to the child behind Mindy.

“May we be properly introduced to your charge, we have established that we are not a threat to her, and wish to be on our way.”

Glaxia smiled and stepped to the side of Mindy.

“I’m Glaxia, the living AI interface for the ship in your heavens, my momma is captain and creator of that ship.”

Two Shanks had to smile a bit at the happiness that seemed to come from Glaxia. He took a knee, and held out a hand.

“I’m Two Shanks, lieutenant in the minotaur republic army, a pleasure to meet such a well mannered child, and perhaps you could teach Garble a few lessons in that department. Why are you wearing that costume? You a fan of Princess Cadence?”

Glaxia shook her head taking the offered limb and giving it a single shake before pulling her hand away.

“No thanks, he couldn’t handle the lessons, and I doubt he could commit to the time it would take. I don’t take in lost causes. As to my costume, it is why I’m here, to meet with her, get a picture of her with me, and see Canterlot.”

Garble growled in annoyance as these two newcomers apparently had no respect for him either.

“Who are you to call me a lost cause, I’d probably ace your stupid lessons.”

Glaxia smiled knowingly and looked at Garble.

“Thousands have said that before, but if you’re willing to play along we can make a game of it and depending on how you do I might print up the application for residency and enlistment.”

Garble folded his arms across his chest.

“So what do I do in this little game of yours, I’m sort of on my way to track down Prince Blueblood at the moment.”

Glaxia pointed at Mindy.

“Say hello to your new boss for the time being. You do what she tells you to do, no matter how silly it may seem to you, and you will address her as ma’am or Senior First Lieutenant. As to your goal, I know where he is, he passed through earlier. He was rather rude to ponies who didn’t move out of his way fast enough. If you fail the game you have to wear a dress befitting a princess. Your pride is what you value, it is what you have to bargain with to me, and the rewards for succeeding can be far more than jewels or money. Knowledge is power, and knowledge is something I have in abundance.”
Glaxia held up her hands and a screen appeared with the streets of Canterlot mapped out and moving on that map was a pink dot.

“My goal is to meet up with Princess Cadence and her group, and I have forwarded my position to Yulee and Shion. If projections are correct from the three of us we will meet outside the gates to the orphanage.”

Glaxia shifted the map to show a yellow dot at the orphanage.

“Your prince is currently at the orphanage, and given congestion on the streets we can make it to the orphanage in 15 minutes. It will be the longest quarter hour in your life ensign Garble, you start now, and just because my eyes are not watching you from this body. I can still see you with my eyes from above, nothing will be missed, and everything is part of your grade.”

Shanks eyes lit up at the mention of Garble’s rank.

“I outrank you, oh this is so sweet of the little lady.”

Mindy spoke up looking at Shanks.

“Don’t think you escaped the game either Lt. Shanks, you are a team, that means you got drafted into the game as well, and I do not take kindly to officers abusing their power.”

Garble grinned at Shanks who groaned picking himself back up to stand. Mindy turned around coming back beside Glaxia.

“Wipe the grin off your face ensign, you take point, Shanks will watch our backs, and we’ll have to double our pace to make up for lost time to make our meet up on time.”

Garble bit his tongue, he was going to show this child, he would show them both that he was no lost cause.


(Market Boulevard)

Cecilia stepped up her pace to come beside Shining Armor.

“I have to ask, but my take on Prince Blueblood doesn’t make me think he would be the adopting type. So why would he visit an orphanage rather suddenly?”

Shining Armor had to think on this for a moment, but his dealings with the prince painted the stallion an uncaring fool. Shining couldn’t remember a month where a scorned ex lover would slander him in the press. There was that one time a mare actually came to the palace with the intent to drive a kitchen knife into him. That situation turned out ugly considering the mare was pregnant with his foal, and of course Blueblood somehow happen to be present in the throne room when Celestia was holding audiences. The charges for that attack were steep considering Celestia was in the room. Shining felt more sorry for the mare as she was dragged out of the room, and Celestia went as easy as the law could allow. She was still serving a sentence in the mines; her foal was sent to the orphanage, because the rotten stallion refused to acknowledge the child as his. Shining head shot up as he realized a possible reason.

“There was a mare he got pregnant supposedly, and he refused to take responsibility for it. That mare came to the palace with intent to kill him, her attempt was stopped, but her foal was sent to the orphanage since he continued to refuse the foal as his. That foal is a legitimate threat to his fortune as a prince, and either he is stepping up now to claim an heir to his station, or he is eliminating the threat to his fortune. Celestia forbid the latter to be the truth, but why the sudden interest Cecilia?”

Cecilia shrugged her shoulders and looked ahead as she spoke her response.

“I do not know why yet, a dragon and minotaur assigned to the intersection of the celestial cycle have left their posts and are traveling with my Mother and my Captain’s daughter, we will run into them at the T of Palace Way and Market Boulevard, or the intersection of Snowdrop.”

Shining blinked and pointed with a hoof at the end of the street.

“That’s right there at the orphanage…you already knew that.”

Shining caught back up to Cecilia, and Cecilia nodded at his statement.

“Arcadia is quite the master planner if she weaved our way to end our tour at where her day began.”

Cecilia glanced at the guards outside the orphanage.

“Shining Armor, if foul play is part of the equation, you do know that I can’t just bust in there like I want to. How it would look would paint a bad picture for Glaxia considering I’m in uniform.”

Shining sighed and looked over to his wife which was talking to Arcadia.

“I have my way in Cecilia, but is there a way I can get a sneak peek inside? If I’m going to get my wife riled up to use her crown to get into someplace, I don’t want to look like a fool, or worse make her look a fool. Crystal couches are highly uncomfortable, and she would make the barracks off limits knowing I would just go there.”

Yulee meowed softly patting Cecilia’s head with a forepaw, and sitting up she put her ears straight up.


(Palace Way a block away from the intersection of Market Boulevard)

Glaxia was nearing the intersection when she came to a halt and Mindy ordered the rest to stop. Glaxia brought the same screen she had used before back into existence, this time it showed Cecilia’s picture and Yulee waved from atop her head. Cecilia spoke from the screen.

“Glaxia, I’ve a request made of me, and was hoping it was in our ethics to allow it. Is there any way we can look inside the orphanage and see what the Prince is up to?”

Glaxia gave her knowing sigh, and looked at the screen her little costume becoming heavy as her conscience.

“Cecy you know that we can’t share intelligence with just any individuals, and I have been spying on the orphanage since my two traveling companions joined us. By the book we cannot interfere, but from what I have seen we should. Cecy, I have never made this kind of call on my own, Sorrow has always made the final choice, but what do I do?”

Cecilia set her bag down and rubbed her shoulder where the strap had begun to dig into it.

“What does your gut tell you to do Glaxia? Because you’ll live with what you’ve seen for the rest of your existence. You’re the most senior officer down here, this is your call, and you need to make it quick.”

Glaxia looked away from the screen towards Mindy. The Hybrid was just as stone faced as she always was which gave Glaxia little in the choice she had to make.

“It’s not pretty, and is Arcadia anywhere near you?”

Cecilia double checked and the changeling Queen was far enough ahead talking with another big group of ponies who managed to overcome their fear and like the others warming up to the changeling.

“We’re okay for the moment, but…”

The screen changed showing a live view through a window, the sound of terrified whimpers and begging caretakers began to infuriate Two Shanks. He stomped forward before he noticed he didn’t hear Garble following him. He turned around and glared at the red scaled dragon.

“Garble we have to go help them.”

Garble made no move to follow the minotaur.

“The senior first lieutenant did not issue the order sir.”

Two Shanks stared at the dragon like it grew another head, and Glaxia turned her head.

“I guess it can be taught new tricks.”

Cecilia’s voice came from the screen.

“You’re playing that game again, Glaxia they have a job to do, and shouldn’t be bound by the rules of your game.”

Mindy spoke up; “The goal was the same location both parties were trying to reach Cecilia, the game would have ended at the statue. The captain will have our commissions for encouraging her daughter to go against the rules. I’m limiting myself to the scope of my orders, and will ensure Glaxia’s safety from any threats here. The time for commitment is upon you Glaxia, either deny my daughter to act, or start issuing orders.”

Glaxia felt uneasy knowing everything was back on her shoulders once again.

“The 225th will assist ponies entering the building as medical personnel, at least two of you are trained in that field, no weapons, and get us that permission to get past the guards. Yulee and Shion are to stay at the statue with me and the Senior first Lieutenant, Garble and Two Shanks will fly to the palace and alert royalty, both if possible, or whoever is available. No IMMT systems, that will be picked up by the bridge officers and the more we can put off my mother finding out, the better off our chances of making this succeed. I assume supreme responsibility, your commissions will be safe, and under my orders you won’t get another lecture from mother.”

Cecilia spoke; “Unknown variables?”

Glaxia shook her head; “You should know about the standard ones based on mission type Cecilia, but the big one we have to all worry about is Queen Arcadia. This was her home were about to hit, and I don’t want to think what will happen if we fail. I’ll give the final word to assist when we meet up at the statue.”


(Market Boulevard, just outside the intersection)

Cecilia closed the screen and turned to tell Shining only to see him already asking to speak to his wife alone. Cecilia instead raised her voice slightly to be heard over the crowd around them.

“225 we have orders, ground assault, no weapons, Anna and I are medical support, full briefing at the statue along with final execute permission.”

Cecilia glanced back at Shining Armor and Cadence. She could tell the exact moment Shining told Cadence, because the princess had a look of horror on her face before being replaced by a stern expression. Cecilia’s thoughts were interrupted by footsteps and hooves as Twilight, the rest of her squadron, Spike, and Arcadia stood around her to see what was going on.

“I’ll explain on the way, but no one makes a move until you hear all of it and we meet up at the statue of Snowdrop. Princess Cadence holds final authority on go or no go, and has authority to change any plans.”

The short minute trip to the statue was all that was needed, and with a little standard transporting of Cecilia and Tatiyana’s medical supplies and gear they began to put it on piece at time. It was considerably faster than before they went to the hive since weapons were no longer a concern.

Spike looked down at the scene and sent a question to the hitchhiker currently occupying his mind.

“Is there anything we can do to help them as well Nepta?”

The dragon goddess was slow to respond to the question.

“Our size makes it difficult to be a part of anything requiring going inside a building. Magical means of assistance would require a direct line of sight to be most effective. However, there is something we might be able to do that will profit this venture. It is tracking spell that would link to all those within the target building, and make locating suspects or hostages easier should means of magic be their intentions of escape. It would give us a clearer picture of all who are inside, a valuable insight that the child of the ship above cannot give us.”

Spike would take anything to be useful rather than standing around watching or being crowd control. His response was quick.

“Show me how to do it.”

Cecilia paused Cadence’s task assignment to glance up at Spike who was drawing symbols.

“Spike, what are you doing?”

Spike finished the glowing symbols and one giant claw rested near the activation symbol.

“I’m casting a tracking spell, I want to be useful, and not stand on the street like I’ve been doing all day while you had all the fun.”

Cecilia rolled her eyes.

“You could have said something and I would have made you temporarily smaller to fit inside the stores. I thought you were enjoying the new size that…”

“If I would risk a lost a limb I would flick your ear for taking fault that is not yours. You did the same to Twilight if the story she told me is true.”

Mindy spoke at her daughter.

“Passing on my learned advice Cecilia?”

Cecilia looked at her mother.

“It’s good advice, and you should be honored I passed it on.”

Mindy still looked as emotionless as she always was.

“I am honored, can’t you tell?”

Cecilia’s turn to look deadpan at her mother came along with her response to the question.

“Mother, you’re an Alpha hybrid neko, you can’t display emotion, I only know because I have lived with you my whole life.”

Spike grumbled and touched the symbol and the spell completed with a few observing ponies marveling with “oo’s” and “ah’s” as the symbols vanished from the air.

“Alright we are seriously off topic, I’m fine now.”

Cadence agreed with a nod to Spike and she began again where she left off.

“So as I was saying, Shining and Jezabelle will be the first through the door of the room where they’re being held. Shortly after they enter, Twilight and I will enter, and provide an additional barrier and means for the panic driven to seek safety. Cecilia and Tatiyana will enter last and begin assisting injured while Twilight and I provide cover from our static location at the doorway. Any questions?”

Jezabelle spoke up gesturing to her sister.

“Cecy pretty much asked it earlier, but what happens if the plan falls to pieces?”

Cadence thought a moment before responding to the valid question.

“We’ll play it by hoof then, but I will think no less of anypony or anyone present if they freeze up or can’t do what they are assigned. Glaxia, between you and Cecilia we owe you a debt that can’t be repaid in bits alone. If you’re mother wishes to scold you, you can have her talk to me, and I will do my best to calm her anger.”

Glaxia poked her two index fingers together as she shyly responded to Cadence’s praise.

“Thanks, but mother can be rather intimidating when angry at someone. I would much rather face her alone than risk her hurting your feelings.”

Shining gave Glaxia a friendly bump on her shoulder.

“My wife can be pretty intimidating too when she wants to be.”

Cadence rolled her eyes and gave Shining a swat of her tail.

“Get your head on straight captain, any other relevant questions?”

Arcadia raised her hoof and spoke.

“What will happen to me when the ponies out here find out what happened and start drawing their own conclusions. I don’t want to hurt anypony, but I will defend myself even if it means killing a pony.”

Cadence gestured at the castle.

“Hopefully Celestia or Luna gets the message and brings help to keep the crowd at bay. You made strides today in changing the opinions of the ponies around you, but all it takes is one pony to prey on those fears. I cannot speak for my aunts, but what I will tell you is that the Crystal Empire will not support any campaign against you.”

Twilight spoke up putting a hoof on Arcadia to emphasize her point. “You will not be alone out here, and having watched you most of the day. I believe you could talk it out before it ever came to violence from anypony.”


Prince Blueblood finally came into the upstairs room where finally the subdued residents and caretakers of the orphanage had been gathered by his associates. He dragged along the despondent Abbey Belle who still refused to shed her disguise. He tossed her down before the group, but not near enough they could offer comfort.

“I’m terribly sorry to have worked you all up into a fright, but you see this mare has been lying to me for years now. She is a changeling, and I must find out if there are more among you. I assure you, this unpleasantness will be over shortly, but since this changeling refuses to identify any accomplices. I must employ my two associates to scan each of you.”

Blueblood gestured to his two accomplices and they closed on the group. The individual scans took some time, but finally one of younger colts was set before the prince.

“Auntie Celestia did her best, but she is only one mare compared to the teams of ponies I had searching for you. I’ve finally found you, my son…”

The colt backed away from Prince a few steps, and just close enough that Abbey moved quickly to snatch him close to her. Blueblood let out a sigh and stood up to close the distance.

“You only prolong your pain changeling.”

Abbey gave a pained smile

“You said it yourself your grace, if I wish to ignite the anger of ponies around the world I need to act, but that anger won’t be directed at me. You failed, you know nothing of changelings, and in your ignorance you misjudged the time it takes for a queen to link to the hive.”

Blueblood waived it off with a gesture of his hoof.

“It’s of no consequence…”

Abbey released the colt and stood defiant ignoring the twitch of her injured left hind hoof.

“Oh but it is your grace, you broke the word of Celestia and Luna, you made liars of them, you made liars of all ponies, the ink is not even dry and you broke the treaty. You cannot escape time, and Faust will see you cast to Tartarus where you belong.”

Blueblood laughed, the annoying villainous laugh, and settling back down he glanced to his associates.

“Begin with the youngest and work your way older.”

Blueblood looked at Abbey Belle.

“Faith in such a forgotten belief, an old pony’s tale, but it will not change your fate.”

“Mare in the moon used to be an old pony’s tale.”

Abbey Belle sat down finally dropping her disguise ready to face her end.