• Published 15th May 2012
  • 1,252 Views, 21 Comments

Among Luna's Stars - LadyofSorrows



Ponies have always used Princess Luna's stars as guides, a source of entertainment, or just to look

  • ...
2
 21
 1,252

Politics and soldiers

Politics and Soldiers

Twilight kept trying to move the offending hair out of her face.

“Stop it sis…”

“Sis, since when did I have a sister?” Twilight cursed mornings and slow thought. She tried shifting position only to discover her blanket was weighted down and not wanting to move. "I guess this isn’t going to be my day.” Twilight cracked an eye slowly, bracing for that first shot of light, only to find that most of the light was blocked by the mass in front of her.

“Oh no,no,no,no,no,no…” Twilight finished opening her eyes and lying on top of her blankets was a sleeping Cecilia. The offending hair belonged to mumbling neko. “I need to get out of here before someone sees this.”

“Umm…Twi…what is Cecy doing in your bed?”

“Of course it had to be Spike, Rarity will know before lunch.”

“I don’t know Spike, can you do me a huge favor and keep this under wraps.”

“I dunno Twi, this is a big development. So how about a ruby or two, which should help me, forget everything I saw.”

Cecilia spoke rather darkly, starting to move her legs to the side of the bed.

“How much do you like living?”

Spike’s eyes grew a little bit in size.

“You know, I think I just forgot everything I’ve seen.”

Twilight brought her brush over from the dresser with her magic.

“That’s probably a wise choice, and you look tired still Cecy.”

“Tired is an understatement, not used to having that much energy flowing through me.” Cecilia raised a hand a waived it a bit before rubbing her eyes.

“I’ll be fine, just not used to being able to power a city block for 3 minutes.”

Cecilia picked her tablet out of its pocket and began flipping through screens.

“It felt like a lot on my end, what was the ribbon for?”

Cecilia stood up and held her arms out at shoulder height. The clothing she selected was transported down directly on her, and a few accessories were transported on the bed.

Cecilia picked them up moving towards the mirror in the room while answering Twilight’s question.

“The ribbon acts as a buffer, it kept a lot of what happened from affecting Rainbow too much. However, the connection is two way; so I had to protect Rainbow from accidentally doing something she might have regretted later. It was a little trick the Lady of Sorrows taught me. I could try teaching it to you in case you’d like to share something with a princess or another unicorn without having to give them full access to your head.”

Spike looked between the two, shaking his head he started for the door.

“Sounds to me like you tried something crazy last night, and if Rainbow was involved it probably was double.”

Twilight finished brushing her tail. “Crazy is an understatement, I wonder why Cecilia went through with it? I’ll have to wait for the right moment to ask.” Twilight looked at the retreating dragon.

“So if you’re chores are done, I guess you can have the rest of the morning to yourself. I might need you around lunch time for a letter. I’ll take care of informing the princesses for you Cecy.”

“You sure Twi, this seems rather unusual considering this is shopping day. I have the checklist already prepared…”

Twilight moved over and gave Spike a pat on his back with a hoof.

“You’ve more than earned a break from routine, besides I need to get out a bit to clear my head before Pinkie’s party. So I’ll take care of the shopping today.”

“I’ll go see if Rarity needs my help with something.”

Cecilia finished tying the ribbon on her tail.

“Negative on helping Rarity, I’m heading there to kidnap her to the spa.”

“Then I’m going too…”

Twilight smiled a bit sensing a bit of protective nature in his voice.

“Now Spike, she’s not really going to kidnap Rarity…”

Cecilia smirked at Spike’s behavior.

“Alright, tag along then. I don’t rightfully know what a spa could do for you though.”

Spike looked a bit happier knowing he was going.

“I’m sure Aloe and Lotus can figure something out for me. Might be pricy though, you sure you can handle the bill?”

“If these ponies knew what I make just for flying out the hangar doors they would probably want to enlist.” Cecilia followed them out of the room.

“I’m sure I can cover it with change left over.”

Spike surged ahead of the group, and ran through a few things with Twilight. Cecilia stepped outside leaving the two inside.

Cecilia noticed a few of the passing ponies slow down as they looked at her. Cecilia decided to be friendly and waive back, they quickly looked back picking up to the original pace.

“Hopefully things improve with other ponies, been here over a week yet still get the vibe of a stranger from most of the townsfolk.”

“Sorry about that, wanted to make sure Twi had everything.”

Cecilia glanced down at Spike.

“You two make a great team. Now time for mission briefing, because for this to work we need to bring our A game.”

“A game, mission briefing, oh Celestia what have I gotten myself into.” Spike just blinked a bit clearly not following. Cecilia adjusted terminology and brought her tablet out and pulling out the stylus she brought up the whiteboard on the screen.

“Alright the plan is we travel to Carousel Boutique. After we complete that objective or part of the checklist, we move to the second objective which is the kidnapping of Rarity. This will greatly be helped by you Pinkie Pie.”

Spike looked around trying to spot the pink pony.

“Uh Cecy, Pinkie isn’t here…”

Cecilia reached over and pulled Pinkie’s head up out of the impossibly small shrub by the poof of her mane.

“Spike, I don’t know many ponies. Pinkie is one I can assure myself to be the only pony in Equestria that would hide in a bush eating a cupcake.”

Cecilia let go of Pinkie’s mane, and the party pony jumped the rest of the way out of hiding to come down on all four hooves. Her normal size now dwarfing the small shrub, Spike just stared mouth half hanging open.

Cecilia snapped her fingers a few times in front of Spike eyes.

“Equestria to Spike, breathe before you pass out.”

Spike sucked in a breath suddenly feeling light headed, he fell back on his rump. A light giggle and Spike turned to see Twilight looking their way as she locked the door.

“How many times have we told you not to try and understand her? Thanks for the invite Pinkie, I’ll be there for sure, I left your invitation on the table beside the door Cecilia.”

“Enjoy yourself Twilight, I’ll do my best to keep your assistant from cardiac arrest.”

Twilight trotted on down the street reading the first thing on the large checklist.
The plan went into action a long ten minutes later. They were disappointed to find that a note was on the door apologizing to customers that she was off gem hunting.

“Well I’d love to stay and chat, but Princess Celestia should be getting my invite by now if Ditzy stayed on course. I’ve got to continue preparing your party.”

Cecilia laughed a bit as her fist bumped against Pinkie’s hoof.

“I almost can’t wait to see what you have planned.”

Spike looked in the direction of the gem fields. “It was only once Spike, stop worrying about it…” Spike took a step in the direction before catching himself. He shot a quick look back and groaned seeing the look in Cecilia’s eyes.
Cecilia took out her tablet, and pulling up a map of the surrounding area she took a knee to show it to Spike.

“Where on this map does she normally search?”

Spike touched a claw to the surface, and Cecilia punched in the coordinates. Arrival at the destination was normal enough, what wasn’t normal was the fact Yulee was telling her there were ponies here on an empty field.

“Yulee are you sure, there should be three ponies within sight of us yet all I see is semi barren field.”

“Underground…”

Cecilia looked down at Spike giving him the “are you serious” look.

Spike just shook his head moving on to explain while thinking to himself. “I just hope she not like the traditional cat and hates dogs.”

“One time while gem hunting with Rarity, she was ponynapped by Diamond Dogs. Diamond Dogs are roughly about your size and dig for gemstones. They are superfast diggers and make complex tunnel systems while they mine for gemstones. Some Diamond Dogs are lazy and will use slave labor to mine or cart their gems. So work your magic and do whatever it is you do to move us and get the ponies out of danger.”

Cecilia just shook her head. ”I hate dogs, and dogs as big as me and intelligent…just perfect. Then again I shouldn’t be surprised to see some predators attempting to use these semi defenseless ponies. I’m guilty there on small counts of lodging and food. I’m trying to work for it I guess, bright side Cecy is you don’t smell like a dog.” Cecilia punched the orders into her tablet.

The first pony to arrive was a stallion. Having been underground for sometime the sudden sunlight blinded him. His sudden freedom was too much, sight was again lost to him by his own tears. He sank slowly to the ground where he just cried softly to himself.

Spike felt bad for the guy, taking a few steps forward Spike placed a hand atop the stallion’s head.

“You’re…you’re going to be okay...”

The next to arrive was another stallion, not so lucky as the first since his left hind hoof looked to have been broken at some point and mended wrong. He still had the iron yoke locked on, and it was not fitted correctly given the sores and missing patches of fur.

Cecilia took the liberty of stepping closer while his eyes adjusted; channeling power to her right hand she shifted the yoke to get the clearance. Her claws sliced through the iron easily, the thud and clang of the two pieces hitting the ground. The stallion just stared at her and then down at the cut yoke before looking back at Cecilia.

“You are no unicorn, how is it you can perform magic?”

Spike answered for her.

“She is special and we’ll leave it at that for now. There is something I need to know, is there a mare that just arrived with a purple mane and three diamond cutie mark?”

The stallion shook his head.

“The only mare with us has a teddy bear cutie mark.”

The mare arrived and her condition was worse than the two stallions put together. Cecilia’s blood began to boil at the mere sight; it wasn’t just her in danger at this point. Her unborn foal was suffering from the greed of dogs; her hatred of these Diamond Dogs was reaching the same par as Interstellar Dragons.

Yulee transported them again to outside the hospital at Ponyville. The authorities were called in and Cecilia gave them everything she had information wise. It was well after three in the afternoon by the time Spike came back into the library. Twilight didn’t look too pleased; Rarity shot a worried glance over to a seated Rainbow Dash.

There was a hint of burnt hair in the air that made Spike nervous.

“Please have a seat Spike; I’d like an explanation as to why you didn’t come back around noon like I asked?”

Spike sat down, he did no real wrong yet the look from Twilight made him feel guilty all the same.

“Twilight, you know we went to Rarity’s this morning. Well, there was a note on her door saying she went gem hunting. She always goes with someone, because no offense Rarity digging in dirt is not your style.”

Spike fiddled with his claws as he had to admit what caused Cecilia to help him alleviate his worry.

“I…I worried over something stupid…I thought there might be a chance to diamond dogs would…”

Twilight’s hard expression softened considerably, she was upset and worried about Spike. However, she knew about his crush on Rarity, and hearing him openly admit he was worried about her was starting to make sense. Love makes ponies or in this case dragons, do foolish things. Spike continued after a moment of trying to find courage to continue while in the presence of Rarity.

“Cecilia picked up on my concern, she could tell by my eyes and how I looked at the time. I showed her on the little rectangle where Rarity hunts gems. She had Yulee teleport us there, but nopony was there. Yulee said there was, and my greatest worry came true. I told her they might be underground. I told her about what happened the first time.”

Twilight looked at Rarity, Rarity looked back at Twilight. Both unicorns knew what was about to be said next Twilight used her magic to bring a quill, ink, and a piece of parchment over to begin writing a letter. Spike obviously knew the recipient yet if Princess Celestia was about to get involved the whole story had to be told.

“She had Yulee bring them to us, two stallions, and a mare with foal. They were in terrible condition Twilight…I just came from the hospital once I was done giving the police ponies my statement. Cecilia says…Cecilia says there might be a chance the mare might lose her foal…”

Any anger Twilight had evaporated at this revelation, on one hand the prank had her number one assistant trudging the countryside on a wild goose chase. On the other hand it brought three ponies back from captivity.

Twilight glanced at her letter making sure there were no mistakes. It rolled up and a ribbon drifted over to bind it. The letter set itself on the desk along with all the other supplies. Rarity rose from her spot and trotted over to put a hoof on Spike’s shoulder.

“I’m flattered you went through all that trouble, my little Spikey Wikey is such a gentlecolt. I’m simply…”

Spike took her hoof in both hands.

“I got to finally help out in saving some ponies, to follow the example my friends set, you are a part of that example. So it was no trouble doing what you or any other pony would have done.“

Spike released her hoof, and Rarity put it down to lift him up with her magic. Levitating him closer she kissed him on the cheek.

“Thank you Spike.”

Rainbow Dash spoke up finally as Rarity set Spike back down.

“Feels awesome don’t it?”

Spike nodded to the pegasus still hanging onto the dreamy feeling the kiss gave.

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash her stern look coming back prompting the pegasus to swallow hard.

“Oh, sorry for pranking you, but you get to feel awesome for saving ponies like me.”

A knock on the door interrupted the short laugh they shared. Twilight opened the door with her magic.

“Come in; forgive me for not coming to the door.”

Princess Celestia entered, and they all hastily bowed as she came in.

“No matter how many times I say it you don’t have to, yet still insist on bowing to me all the same. Stand my little ponies, I carry good news for you Spike.”

Spike put on his best face as he moved clear of Rarity.

“Soft Plush made it?”

Celestia nodded a smile gracing her face.

“It was close a few moments, but she and her foal will be just fine. Cecilia credits you for their rescue; the doctors won’t allow it tonight I’m afraid. Tomorrow she would like to see you to thank you.”

Spike turned to Rainbow Dash.

“Is it possible for awesome to be doubled?”

Rainbow Dash’s grin was out in full force as she flew over to hover beside Spike.

“Yeah, just don’t let it go to your head like I let it.”

“Not to worry, I can’t out awesome you no matter how many ponies I save. Don’t have the mane to pull it off.”

They shared a laugh but Celestia turned semi serious.

“I’ve already spoken with Pinkie Pie about a slight change in guests for the party, it seems some of the court wish to make the trip to meet Cecilia at her party. Rarity, my nephew will be in attendance; all I ask is that you try to be sociable.”

Rarity scowled for a fraction of a second before putting back on her smile.

“I’ll do my best Princess, but make no promises. I worry though if he gets on Cecilia’s bad side. She is not one you trifle with, I seriously doubt an apple cake would be her chosen duel piece.”

Celestia nodded and gestured a hoof to Twilight.

“Twilight has written and explained that she has blessed you with friendship. I would like at least one of you accompanying her the entire evening just to be on the safe side. I’m granting special immunity from those of the court except for myself or Luna, so if you trample a few feelings you don’t have to worry about repercussions coming back to bother you.”

Spike spoke up feeling the need to ask it.

“Princess, what is going to be done to prevent what happened to those three ponies from happening to others?”

Celestia looked at Spike shaking her head.

“As my sister has returned I have delegated some of the responsibilities of running the kingdom to her. Since Diamond Dogs are more active at night, she has agreed to take on oversight of those that reside within Equestria. She will speak with the emissary soon as he arrives in Canterlot, and hopefully the situation will never happen again. I do not like making threats against another, and my sister shares the same sentiment. We will not tolerate our subjects being taken into a life of forced labor. Luna is working her diplomacy on Cecilia as we speak, Soft Plush’s unborn child being put at risk made Cecilia most unhappy.”

Rainbow Dash felt odd knowing why, she glanced at Twilight. Twilight passed the look onto Rarity, the three mares just sighed with Rainbow dropping back to the floor to fold her wings. Celestia picked up on this, and she quickly changed the subject.

“The party will be starting soon; please do your best to put this incident behind you as it will only dampen you from enjoying yourselves. My faithful student, there is some business I must attend to, may I have use of your desk to send a few messages?”

“Yes, by all means, you can ignore the message sitting on the desk as well since you’re aware of the situation.”

Spike glanced over at Rarity and taking a deep breath he asked the question.

"Rarity if you don’t mind waiting I’d like the chance to walk you there.”

Rarity nodded, and with a bat of her eyelash at him she responded.

“Just don’t keep this mare waiting too long.”

There was a dust trail from where Spike was, up the steps, and the sudden closing of a door all in the course of a minute. Celestia giggled slightly from where she stood at Twilight’s desk. Twilight made her way to the door.

“C’mon Rainbow, let’s give the princess and Rarity their space.”

(The Party)

Cecilia was punctual, and the pony given the official task of announcing the name of arrivals was given her name. He blinked at Cecilia few times, but he turned and raised his voice above the music.

“To the guests I present Cecilia Ann Barnum, and her companion Yulee Orion Barnum. The guest of honor has arrived.”

Yulee looked nervous; her dress was a dark blue to match her eyes. She always felt out of place being a young child, she enjoyed being the tiny little cabbit or the ship that Yulee piloted to victory. Cecilia knew all this, which is why she only asked her to do it on very special occasions.

Cecilia was wearing a purple strapless dress that hugged her curves and had a split up her right side to mid thigh. Her black velvet like fur stood out and shined a bit thanks to a special soap. She wore matching color flats on her feet; Cecilia hated heels although they would have looked better.

“So do you like it?”

Cecilia turned to see Pinkie standing on her other side, looking up with smile on her face. Cecilia looked at the banners, the games, the balloons, the streamers, and finally the tables of food.

“Well, to be honest I’ve never attended a friendship party. However, given the basics I think I can safely say you have my yes vote.”

“Super…oh my gosh Yulee you continue to surprise with different looks…”

Yulee fumbled with her fingers blushing slightly.

“I…er...don’t really like this form.” Her voice was quiet, but not nothing like Fluttershy’s.

An audible gasp made Yulee look; she regretted it as she was suddenly seeing nothing but pink hair, the hug felt crushing to her.

“You talk, I thought you only spoke in meows…”

Pinkie fell forward and she tumbled back up on her hooves. Yulee appeared on the other side of Cecilia.

“Pinkie, for the longest time it has just be me and her sisters. She gets a little nervous around large groups when she can’t hide behind that language barrier. Give her time to find her comfort.”

Yulee took a deep breath and moved back over.

“You just surprised me is all; can you try to be less hyper around me?”

Pinkie smiled and held up a hoof.

“Okie doki loki, even though I like surprising everypony, I guess that not all like surprises. Ooo I can send that in one of twilight’s friendship things.”

Yulee smiled a bit and shook her hoof thinking that’s why she offered it.

“If you can help me find some carrots I’ll help you write it and send it.”

“How about a carrot cupcake, it has carrots in it.”

“I’ll take it…”

Cecilia watched Yulee walk towards the tables with Pinkie.

The moment was short lived as Cecilia moved to start mingling with a few of the townsfolk. She let the fancier dressed ponies over by the princesses continue to draw their mental conclusions about her. It was while she was talking with the Cakes and seeing their foals for the first time she happen to glance over to her side. She did a double take, and Fluttershy tried to focus somewhere else and not to stick out that she was watching Cecilia.
Cecilia played it off as Fluttershy being Fluttershy and that the timid pegasus would eventually approach her and say what is bothering her.

The party was indeed paying off in Cecilia and Yulee’s favor. Most of the ponies that wouldn’t waive back at her this morning were some of the most interesting to talk to. It was the nobles that began to sour her mood a little, but Cecilia knew it was an arrogance born from expectation and money. She didn’t let them get to her, although a few were rather nice and charming.

Celestia and Luna both were thrilled things were going smoothly. Yulee was showing the pictures from an album while Cecilia explained beyond what Yulee could. Cecilia flipped the page and looked at a picture.

Cecilia looked to be choking on her drink as another neko had her hands wrapped around her from behind and was kissing her cheek. It was set in dance club by the looks of the background.

The picture beside it showed the same neko lying beside Cecilia sleeping. A semi startled Cecilia looked up at whoever took the picture.

“Ah never would believed it if ya told me you were into mares.”

Cecilia laughed a bit closing the album.

“It’s a good thing for you that I’m not into mares, I like the strong type.”

Cecilia gave Applejack and quick peck on the cheek.

Applejack turned red as the apples on her flank before swatting Cecilia with her hat.

“You cut that out ya hear, my heart don’t swing thata way.”

Cecilia just shared in the laughter of the others before responding.

“Then it’s a good thing I do not like equine females.”

“Is she waiting for you back home?”

Cecilia shook her head without looking at Celestia.

“She left Glaxia to return to her home planet, she wanted to apply what she had learned to help her people. The Lady of Sorrows and I tried our best to convince her to stay; she was firm on leaving.”

“Maybe she had to finish what she started before she could commit herself to the relationship you had. Even with that aside your technology could allow you to visit her.”

“I tried that a month after she left Twilight, her family blamed me for the pirates coming and taking her away. I don’t know if she is dead or alive anymore, I search for her through those we capture alive. I haven’t had much luck in getting leads, one of the more selfish reasons I want to get my crown back.”

Yulee chimed in pointing out the plan that seemed to pick Cecilia’s mood up a little.

“You pinkie promised Rainbow Dash, so I want should be I will get my crown back.”

“You’re right Yulee, and I have 6 friends who committed to helping me achieve that.”

“Seven…”

Cecilia looked at Celestia, Spike poked Cecilia with a claw.

“Eight, I’m going to be helping Twilight help you, so I might as well make it official.”

“N…Nine…”

Luna looked Cecilia straight in the eyes, and Cecilia nodded slightly.

“I’m glad you came around Luna, I don’t know how similar the recovery process might be. I think you would have a lot to contribute.”

Pinkie hopped over the table.

“I found her…”

The group looked past the table to see a photographer, and not some run of the mill. The best Equestria has to offer in professional photography, the one and only Photo Finish.

“I Photo Finish have come to capture ze magics.”