• Published 15th May 2012
  • 1,252 Views, 21 Comments

Among Luna's Stars - LadyofSorrows



Ponies have always used Princess Luna's stars as guides, a source of entertainment, or just to look

  • ...
2
 21
 1,252

Precious Resources (Part Two)

(Canterlot Central Orphanage)

Once the order was given the two unicorn stallions levitated out their tools of the trade. Two necklaces that had dark green crystals hanging in the center of them, that once worn Changed their magic from their individual aura shades to the acid green of changeling magic. Abbey Belle could only stare dumbfounded at how such items could work, but the next items to come out were a pair of knives between the two, and these they sent out to do their employers bidding. Abbey had no time to react to stop them, as four of the youngest received deep stab wounds, and panic exploded among the grouped children and caretakers.

An older earth pony stallion that volunteered as cook for the orphanage loaded a filly on his back and charged towards the window. He would most certainly die in the fall given his age, but it was with his last hope he could break the fall enough the filly would survive the landing on the yard path below. However, his worst fear was realized after they got through the window that his leap had made the filly slip in her grip and start drifting away in the fall. In a blur of red the filly was gone, and not a moment later he felt hooves wrap around him as well. Looking up at his savior he saw the dark scowl of Princess Luna looking back


Garble felt like he was setting records as he raced back from the palace. Shanks didn’t much care for the insane flying, but there was no way Garble wanted anything to do with grumpy Luna. If it wasn’t for the initial dive from the balcony, Garble would probably be dead from the death beam of magic that shot over their heads. Shanks admitted that the waking of Luna was not his best work, and took full responsibility if they got killed or severely injured by the enraged half awake alicorn following them. Garble looked back and Luna was gaining and looking back the statue of Snowdrop never looked so welcome, but the crowd posed a landing risk. Turning tight to go around the orphanage he came around to side the room was on just as an earth pony stallion jumped through a window with a young filly on his back.

The two were beginning to separate in the air, and Garble had less than a second to make a choice to save one or the other. He just hoped Shanks was on the same page. He felt the added weight and he came to a stop to look back as he hovered above the crowd. Luna had the poor stallion locked in her hooves and she too was looking back into the gap. She wasted no time landing and took the first two guards that got to her, and went inside. Garble didn’t even hear Shanks telling the crowd to move. He didn’t remember landing, the only thing going through his mind was the constant replay of that stallion coming through the window. The fact he he had to choose one life over another, and the emotions that came from it was something he never prepared for.


(Takes place just after Blueblood’s order to start)

Princess Cadence looked like a mare possessed as she stormed up to the guards at the gate of the orphanage. Shining Armor followed behind her with Twilight at his side, and the 225th brought up the rear of the entering group. Cecilia was laden with her medical pack, Tatiyana carried the same, and Jez merely changed clothes to ground combat armor. Arcadia sat with Mindy and Glaxia at the statue of Snowdrop with Shion and Yulee. Spike’s shadow fell upon the guards at the gate. The guards merely saluted as Cadence walked through the gates with her entourage, having no desire to question the riled alicorn.

Once through the main door of the orphanage, which was protected with a sound ward, the screaming was distinctly audible. Shining Armor wasted no time and was up the stairs with Jezabelle, Cecilia, and Tatiyana close enough to be their shadows. Cadence and Twilight caught up to them after a moment of hesitation in the lobby. Shining had already summoned a small defense shield of magic. They stacked up outside the door where furious pounding of hooves were rattling it on its hinges. Pleas for help were muffled by the thin barrier of wood, but heard clear as day by the fact they were being screamed at the door. Jezabelle stood to one side of the door, her claws already glowing blue. The sound of shattering glass leaked its way through the door.

“Everyone to one side of the hall.”

Jezabelle cut the jamb where the handle was and the door splintered open, spilling a group of foals into the hallway. Shining Armor leapt over the top of the pile. Cadence entered afterwards with Jezabelle following her. Twilight stayed in the hall to help Cecilia and Tatiyana settle the panic and begin treatment of injuries. First thing Cadence noticed were the injured that were still trying to get away, or huddled behind the already dead. Shining was already in a fight with one of the two unicorns, and holding his own. A changeling was fighting the other, but losing the fight given its mounting injuries.

“Peace in our time is but a dream Cadence, who can destroy Equestria better than one who serves as part of its leadership?”

Cadence turned to the voice only to see Blueblood leave in a flash and pop of teleportation. This only served to anger Cadence more, and pouring all her magic into a holding spell she fired it at the unicorn battling the changeling. The spell struck and the amount of force used in it caused a series of muffled popping noises. The unicorns knives dropped as his magic failed, and his body convulsed not from pain alone, but from the fact all his ribs were just crushed inward puncturing his lungs and preventing him from breathing at all. The physical sign of that happened a moment later as blood began to drip out his nose. Cadence ended the spell, but the damage was done, the stallion was drowning on his own blood.

Cadence had no time to think on what she did as she felt fillies and colts trying to climb on her, and hiding underneath her amidst her legs. They saw her as a place of safety, and years of foalsitting came rushing back to her as she began to comfort and calm those with her. She could only hope Twilight wouldn’t come in here, this was not something she was ready to experience, and the irony wasn’t missed in the fact she wasn’t prepared either. Nothing could prepare anypony for something like this… ever.

“Princess Cadence…”

Cadence looked up from under her outstretched wings to see Princess Luna standing in the remains of the doorway.

“Luna, I...I…”

Luna spoke as she moved alongside to drape her own wing over the Princess of Love.

“There is nothing that need be said now, we must tend to these colts and fillies, and once they are safe and calm we tend to ourselves. If there are none injured among those who are with you, lead them downstairs to where Twilight and two guards will watch over them. I have already sent word back for more guards and for my sister to be informed of what has happened.”

Cadence just gave a nod in understanding before looking under her wings at the group huddled underneath them.

“Alright little ones, we’re going to head downstairs where the others are for the time being, please try to stay out from under hoof, and no running ahead.”

Shining hated being on the defensive, but he managed more than once to get a few of his hooves to connect. It did little to take the fight out of his opponent, and didn’t open any paths for him to put a finishing strike in for the bout to end. He had to play it safe considering the longer he kept his opponents attention on him, the less likely others would suffer, especially his sister or Cadence.

He went through another round of dodging or deflecting the knives with his shield. His opponent was wrapped in a dark blue aura and slammed into the wall hard. His magic failed and he struggled to rise, only to be hit with another spell, and he collapsed for good relatively unharmed for interrogation later. Shining turned to his benefactor and slightly gulped seeing angry Luna approaching him.

“Prince Armor, are you well and without injury?”

Shining dispelled his shield. “A little tired princess, but I appreciate the helping hoof.”

Luna halted her advance. “Take no insult from the aide, your pride is secure, and you fought well with what little I have seen. Do you have any experience in healing arts?”

Shining shook his head. “I only know basic field first aid, but I’m ready to do whatever you need me to do.”

Luna gestured to the victims that were clearly dead. “Please help Lady Jezabelle move the dead to the adjoining room. It will do no good for those struggling to live to see death staring back with lifeless eyes. I will be with them shortly to sing the songs of farewell.”

Shining wanted to tell her that they didn’t sing the old songs like that anymore, but as he levitated the first he couldn’t help but think that was better than what an orphan normally receives in burial. A name on a mausoleum, with a urn to hold their ashes stacked with other forgotten souls just like them. That is how the crown viewed the life a child without a family, but that stereotype was destroyed the moment Luna offered to do something different. Something maternal, and the lump forming in Shining’s throat at the thought of denying them something so wonderful made him mad at himself as he laid his first down in the adjoining room.

He ran hoof through the colt’s mane.

“He’s wondering what your doing that for.”

Shining turned and Jezabelle laid her first down continuing to speak as she did.

“I’ll take them to judgement when all on my list are ready, and even if you can’t see them they are still here for the moment.”

Shining looked back at the colt lying on the floor.

“I do it because I feel guilty, he deserves a family that loves him, and would be there to protect him from something like this. He deserves a second chance more than I did…”

Shining felt his cheek explode in pain, and his head snapping to one side didn’t do his neck any favors either. He looked back as his hoof came up in instinct to rub where he was struck, and Jezabelle didn’t look happy at all.

“I’m sorry.”

Jezabelle growled out as she walked to the door.

“You better be, because I have no doubts that Cadence would be devastated to hear you say that. Get your head in gear we have five more to carry.”

Shining moved to follow Jez.

“There was only six when we…”

Jezabelle interrupted him forcing him to stop outside the room.

“Anna wasn’t successful, she lost her second patient, my list hinges on the will of the last one, and the efforts of two of my squad mates. These are the worst Shining Armor, because even I hope that I don’t have to take them, yet can do nothing to change the odds.”


Even though Arcadia wasn’t going inside she was trying like mad to reach Abbey Belle through the hive mind. It was a long shot, Chrysalis had separated her a long time ago, but separation didn’t mean a queen could seek out a changeling. It would be the choice of the one separated to restore the connection. Arcadia was losing faith and eventually slumped to sit at the statue as the last one entered.

“She’s not responding, Spike.”

Spike looked back at Arcadia.

“Keep trying, if she can she’ll come back to you.”

Arcadia looked at the building she left this morning filled with happiness and love. Now it was a mess of terror and hate, and closing her eyes to focus past those emotions.

“Abbey Belle, please, I need to know you’re okay…”

Silence except for the background chatter of other changelings on the hive mind. Arcadia thought she heard something, and focusing more the tears began to pool. How stupid could she be, she was trying to hear equestrian spoken, and the whole hive was helping her by repeating what Abbey was trying to say back to their queen in their natural tongue.

“I’m dying”

Arcadia tried to sound hopeful for Abbey.

“Help should be there, stay with us, and fight to keep your dream.

The children need you.

I need you…”

Abbey’s response was sounding weaker as if she were falling asleep.

“My children suffered in near poverty, and he licks the silver spoon with the bits that were meant for them. My dream is gone, nopony loves a monster.”

Arcadia went to rebut the statement but felt the connection go quiet. She began to accept the comfort her hive offered as she folded to the ground and began to cry. Glaxia slid the crown off the top of her head and brought it around to look at, a simple replicated knock off, nothing a real princess would be caught dead wearing.

“Put the crown back on your head princess, because you’re not done yet."

Glaxia didn’t have to look over to know her mother was now standing beside her, she knew the moment the system brought her down to the surface, and a pretty good idea what her mood was from the view above. Glaxia turned around, not bothering to hide the tears running down her face.

“I’m no princess…”

Sorrow nodded walking the few steps to take a knee.

“You’re right, you’re not Princess Cadence’s long lost identical twin sister returned from the stars. You’re my princess, my daughter, and no one makes my daughter cry.”

Glaxia looked at the crown still in her hands.

“Even if I am to blame for my own pain now?”

Sorrow reached forward and with a hand under Glaxia’s chin, lifted the child’s eyes to look into her own.

“You started this without using all your resources, because you wished to hide your actions from me. The rule was made to be broken, I wanted you to break it, because even I can be wrong.”

Glaxia worked her mouth without a single word coming out, the truth stung worse than a slap to the face, because all this time should could have saved them all without so much as breaking a sweat. Glaxia finally spoke something somewhat intelligent rather than making sniffling noises.

“All this time...if I had known…”

Sorrow took the crown gently from Glaxia’s hands and stood up.

“That…”

Sorrow placed the crown back on Glaxia’s head and straightened it to look right.

“... is life Glaxia, you don’t get all the answers, or you have to pick what you think is the best course of action. Sometimes you’re going to be wrong, which may upset people or get good people killed to see that choice through. It is the burden your crown becomes among other things.”

Glaxia reached into a inner pocket and pulled out a handkerchief to wipe her eyes and blow her nose. Arcadia broke the silence of the group.

“You’re not to blame for this Glaxia, you did what you thought was best, and let me be the first to thank you for helping. Abbey would have loved to meet you, and I’m sure the children would have loved your costume.”

Glaxia turned around to face Arcadia.

“Thanks, but mother is right in that we need to finish this.”

Arcadia shook her head.

“You said it yourself that we have to follow under a princesses orders, Cadence is still inside…”

Sorrow nodded and gave glaxia a rub on the shoulder.

“That was a good move, but it leaves you stuck in not being able to move forward without approval or escort.”

Spike eyed Garble getting all sorts of attention from the filly he saved. Two Shanks was conversing with the stallion while keeping a untrusting eye on the remaining guards still on the perimeter of the orphanage. Spike spoke without hushing his voice which carried with the volume of the royal canterlot voice.

“Yo Garble, you think you can fly with me?”

Garble looked over and up before straight up laughing his tail off for a full minute and a half.

“That is priceless, the pony dragon getting his wish in a sex change…”

The rest of what Garble had to say died as he felt his whole body compressed in a tight wrapping of magic and he was dragged up eye level with the large dragoness that was Spike.

“I lost more than I gained Garble, far more, and I will not have my nose rubbed in it by the likes of you. You going to make fun of me or help me?”

Garble rolled his eyes.

“Keep your scales on kid, of course I’m helping, because I’m honor bound to do so by sticking around magic pony land.”

Spike let his magical grip go and Garble managed to get his wings open and break his fall by the time he hit the ground.

Garble took the time to let the pain in his limbs become manageable by yelling at Two Shanks.

“You coming with Shanks?”

Two Shanks held up his hands.

“No thanks, I’ve fulfilled my lifetime quota of being flown around by dragons.”

Garble shook his limbs out and hovered up back to Spike’s eye level.

“So, just us?”

Glaxia, Sorrow, Arcadia, and Mindy were focused on the large dragoness. Sorrow broke the question begging to be asked by her fellow officers and one changeling queen.

“Just what are you planning to do Spike?”

Spike gestured to Glaxia as a smile came to his face.

“I, Prince Spike of Equestria, hereby grant unto Glaxia unrestricted use of all her resources in assisting me in tracking down the escapee from the orphanage.”

Glaxia’s smile grew as she stood up straight and tried her best to sound official.

“I, Glaxia Celfus, under permission of the Lady of Sorrows, hereby accept the offer for aide made by Prince Spike. Now that’s out of the way, the wording puts you in the lead for our part in this, what do you need?”

Spike laughed a bit before laying as flat as he could to answer the question.

“Glaxia, I’m flexible, I gave you this opportunity since you have vast experience at your beck and call. We’ll share the top, I’ll override only if necessary, and that way if I miss something you don’t have to lose valuable seconds seeking my approval. You ready to ride?”

The reinforcements arrived with the ambulance carts, the pullers were taking full advantage of the growing space to move around and line up right outside the gate. One puller on each cart bucked the front of the cart and the back opened up and the two nurses per cart jumped out, each wearing a stretcher harness. They were led past the gate as more rumors began to spread within the crowd.

Glaxia waited for the shouting of the guards to quiet down before answering.

“Give me ten minutes to get my safety gear on, and you’re coming with me Mindy. Momma, can you stay here? You’re a better at politics, and Arcadia will need someone by her side when she goes inside the orphanage to see her friends.”

Sorrow nodded as she helped Glaxia into the harness and double checked the straps to see if it was done properly. She double checked Mindy’s as well despite the fact Sorrow had no doubts it was done properly the first time. Sorrow had no intentions of giving bad news to Mindy’s husband because of a improper strap. Arcadia flew Glaxia up to where she would sit and spoke to the child.

“Thank you for everything, but be careful out there. I don’t have many friends, and I certainly don’t want to lose any the same day I made them.”

Glaxia nodded as Garble deposited Mindy beside her.

“We’ll give it our best Arcadia, and I promise to listen to my backup.”


(inside the orphanage)

Tatiyana and Cecilia were still working on the barely living Abbey Belle. How she was even still able to fight after forty minutes was a shock to both of them, as they fixed injuries that would be fatal to most beings they knew of. Yet for all her stubbornness to not die, she was making a good show of not improving enough to be transported.

“Dammit Cecy we’re missing something here, and for the life for me I can’t figure out since her insides differ so much from traditional equines.”

Cecilia didn’t miss a beat in sewing up a nicked vein.

“I can’t involve my crown in this matter so that leaves you to figure out what it is since you’ve spent more time around changelings than I have.”

Tatiyana released the plate after Cecilia closed the wound.

“For all that I’ve seen since we started on her is that changelings are damn near able to survive about anything. You give them a little love and they hop… right… back.”

Anna smacked her forehead leaving a green goop behind and double cursed as she reached to change out her gloves. Cecilia snorted and moved on to the next injury, speaking as she relined her needle.

“So what was your epiphany?”

Tatiyana looked at the fangs and shuddered a bit, but moved the head opening the mouth to have the fangs rest on her bare arm. Cecilia finished threading her needle and seeing her target spot move she glanced over.

“Anna I was about to fix that spot, and what the heck are doing?”

Tatiyana gave a bit of a nervous laugh trying to settle her nerves at the unknown she was about to do.

“I’m giving her a shot of love since she is not conscious to do it through other means.”

Cecilia held up her hands.

“Hold your horses Anna, you do know that if stab yourself with those fangs you’re automatically blacklisted from patients for a year or more, and you’re not even certain that will work either.”

Anna looked down at Abbey Belle’s face.

“I know the regulations Cecy, but I don’t want to lose another patient either. I don’t want those children downstairs to lose Abbey either…”

“Kiss me…”

Tatiyana blinked at the request of Cecilia, and glancing around saw Luna was helping the ambulance nurses load patients onto stretchers and set the stretchers in the harnesses. Shining was not in the room, Jezabelle was heard in the hall talking to Cadence, and the guards in the room were watching the still sleeping unicorn. If there was going to be any moment of intimacy like this it would be best done now, but Anna felt it was inappropriate.

“Cecy, now isn’t…”

Cecilia’s hand brushed back through her hair and rested near Anna’s left ear. Cecilia used her fingers to tease the base of it causing Anna to flick her ear constantly to no relief which was driving Anna mad.

“Kiss me…”

Anna just leaned forward and did it if only to stop Cecilia from teasing her more. She couldn’t lie and say she wasn’t enjoying the moment, but Cecilia’s hand on her head stiffened a bit. Tatiyana opened her eyes just as Cecilia used her other hand to shove the fangs into Anna’s arm.

Anna squealed in the initial pain and in the moment she understood and she only hoped her sacrifice wouldn’t be in vain. Pressure from underneath, breaking the kiss they both looked down and noticed Abbey Belle had closed her own jaw holding the arm in place.

They both smiled at one another before going in for kiss number two, this time the two reunited lovers poured their combined feelings into it. Changelings were indeed strange creatures, but like all species evolution changed them. They had fangs, but rarely used them for their old purpose. Love changed to happiness and Cecilia broke kiss number two and Anna was glowing with her own happiness, and Anna felt the pressure release on her arm. Looking down at their patient Abbey looked back up, still looking like she went through a meat grinder and lost.

“That is an awful way to feed, even if my life depends on it. Promise me you’ll never do that again, because it’s barbaric and could get me killed by the hive.”

Cecilia smirked and reached back to her pack and pulled out a couple of gauze squares and handed them to Anna who clamped them over the two holes in her arm.

“If Arcadia will even let them dare touch you, and don’t rush too hard to thank Tatiyana. She just traded a year of her life being with me, to save yours, and hope it tasted good. That is how much I love that woman sitting in front of you. I just hope we weren’t too reckless in patching you up.”

Abbey shook her head.

“It will save me considerable energy, I’m sorry, it’s just really horrible to do that to anything, but thank you.”

Heavy hoofsteps were felt and Abbey Belle was helped up in time to see Luna come to a stop. Luna lowered herself to rest on her stomach before speaking to Abbey.

“I wish to start by thanking you for staying with us, and doing your best to protect the children.”

Abbey quickly interrupted Luna.

“I apologize for the interruption, but how many… did I lose?”

Luna responded solemnly while maintaining eye contact despite her desire to look anywhere else but the caretaker.

“Five children, one adult, but I do not want you worrying about them. I assure you now they will be treated with proper respect, and Prince Shining Armor has not left his post in guarding them since he carried the last one into room.”

Luna gave a moment for Abbey to take it in before resuming her discussion with the changeling.

“I already know through those that came to aid who is responsible for this, and for your safety your recovery will take place in the Crystal Empire. I have no doubt in my mind that Princess Cadence will allow it, and I will have several of my staff take over here while you recover. These will be ponies I trust explicitly…”

Abbey shook her head and spoke.

“No disrespect to Princess Cadence or her empire, as it would be any changelings dream to be in such close proximity to that amount of love, but too much can be as dangerous as too little. Is there any other that you trust with my recovery?”

Luna thought a moment and rose to her hooves.

“There is one other pony I could ask, but she may turn you down. However, she was my second friend since my return, but I’m not certain our friendship would get her past the demons that now lurk in her mind.”

Abbey smiled having a pretty good guess at who, and decided to take a stab in the dark.

“I’ve met this mare you speak of, and she knows of me. She was present when I stood before your sister, and she spoke well on my behalf as did my queen. I do not wish to pressure her, or have her prey on the need to serve you when you ask.”

“I would be more than happy to take her in until she recovers.”

Luna turned around and standing in the remains of the doorway was Twilight and Arcadia. Luna gave a slight smile.

“I have to advise you that this is strictly voluntary, as your are under no crown obligation to accept the offer to give aide.”

Twilight came into the room, stepping around the worst of the blood.

“I would open my door to any friend in need, but I will warn you now that my other house guest may be a bit rude at first.”

Abbey could only nod slightly as the sedatives were starting to kick in now that her heart was back up to speed. Cecilia gently lowered her back down to rest as Arcadia came forward to settle down and run a hoof back through Abbey’s mane.

“I will honor a promise to remove you from the hive mind as soon as you are better. I will worry too much if I separated you now, but I will limit myself and the others from bothering you.”


(The streets of lower Canterlot, near the airship docks)

Spike neared the docks and things began to get tricky as he had to maneuver around incoming airships. He wondered why none were leaving, Canterlot was always a major hub on the mass transit system, except for water ships.

“He’s in this area somewhere.”

Mindy spoke as she observed the ground, as Spike made another turn to come around for another pass over the docks.

“He is smart to come to a busy area. It presents a danger to our forces while giving him ample innocent life to take hostage should we make our move hastily.”

Garble moved a bit closer keeping out of the way of Spike’s wings.

“What we need is a way to lure him closer to us.”

Mindy looked at the red scaled dragon.

“We have nothing he wants or can provide to him.”

Spike thought of something and turned his head.

“Garble, were landing near that big warehouse, because I think we have the thing he wants the most.”

Garble wanted to ask how but would have to wait as Spike began to glide down towards the objective warehouse.

Once both had landed and Spike laid as flat as he could so his passenger could dismount to stretch their legs and make conversation easier for all. Spike began explaining to his already curious group.

“What we have are a pair of sightseers, a tracking spell, and the resources of some of the most amazing technology outside of comic books.”

Glaxia spoke not sounding impressed by this sudden stop and how those three things could be viewed as something a criminal would want. She was also wondering who the pair of sightseers were as well since she logically thought she had chose a side prior to Cadence entering the orphanage.

“Spike, half my intelligence departments just facepalmed at mere mention of how these things do not work in our benefit. Where are these non existent sightseers?”

Spike wanted to facepalm now, but was unsure he wouldn’t cause himself bodily harm. He resisted the urge as he pointed a claw at Glaxia.

“You and Mindy are sightseers, I make the tracking spell known, he’s going to try to find a way out fast to get distance between me and him, and he approaches you two using his royal position to potentially ask for a way out of town fast. You nab him up with your technology, and you get an awesome victory picture with Cadence that would make Rainbow Dash jealous.”

Garble rolled his eyes pointing at Spike.

“That was my plan, you just hijacked it and made it better.”

Spike looked at Garble and gestured to Mindy with his left forehand.

“I’m assisting as only a number one assistant can, If your plan is to even get off the ground you need to sell it to her, because she is protecting the keystone of the whole thing. I’m just playing the salesman.”

Garble blinked a bit caught off guard by that, and with a toothy grin he spoke with a swat of his forehand against the giant forelimb of Spike.

“Thanks for the assist, thought you still had a grudge against me for the whole migration incident.”

Spike brought his large head down to level his gaze at Garble.

“I heard about what you were thinking from Two Shanks. I really don’t care what you attempt to do against me, but you leave ponies out of it understand?”

Garble ran a forehand back through his crest spines.

“Yeah, about that… how about we just drop the whole thing since you’re being really cool right now?”

“Really?”

Garble looked back at Spike’s quick response and for a moment the cuteness made him forget that it was Spike in a female body for a moment.

“I couldn’t hurt such a pretty face if I wanted to…”

Spike face soured and he gave nepta a mental nudge and asked the question.

“You want to field this one, I give up at this point.”

Nepta response was quick with a tinge of amusement to only add to the discomfort Spike was feeling right now.

“I would have to think of the exponent to place in signifying to him how many times I could be his mother in age alone. Imagine… the picture…”

Spike turned his whole body to face away from him.

“I hate you…”

Glaxia spoke up as Spike leaned his forehead against the wall of the warehouse.

“Spike is everything okay?”

Spike just waved a hand.

“Yeah, give me a minute to get over the fact the world seems out to remind me how stupid I was to put this ribbon on.”

Mindy spoke indicating the sun with her hand.

“Have you considered the fact he already knows about your spell? Are there any taverns, bars, or pubs down this way? I’d rather discuss this further while getting a drink, the amount of dust kicked up by these primitive streets is becoming annoying.”

Spike nodded and spoke with a shudder at the thought of these two entering such a shady establishment.

“The Shipmaster, back up on the main arc in front of the docks proper. Watch your drinks, do not ask to play billiards, and try not to kill anypony.”

Garble spoke up rather suddenly at the mention of the establishment.

“Two Shanks and I went there the third day we were here, I didn’t see any billiard tables, but an oddly dressed mare went with him to show him where they were. I figured he did good considering he came back with more bits than he had, said something about winning a bet.”

Spike was so glad he was facing away, because his facial scales changed to a deeper color.

“Let me guess, he was walking with swagger too?”

Garble looked at Spike.

“I don’t know what that means, but I guess since he wouldn’t quit about the game. He said it would be glorious.”

Spike ignored that and finally turned around to start towards the street.

“C’mon, I’ll get us there, but if he knows about the tracking spell. Why would he come here?”


(Palace Throne Room)

Princess Luna, Princess Cadence, Arcadia, and Sorrow looked away from the real time screen. Two Shanks merely brushed off the looks he was getting from the ponies.

“What, I got needs, I’m not married, and it's not my fault she didn’t research the stamina of minotaurs before making the bet.”

They turned back to the screen, a few sporting mild blushes, and one mildly curious to make the same bet. Arcadia broke the silence first as Spike’s group began moving towards the tavern.

“They are hinging our only chance to get justice on a ruse?”

Princess Luna leaned forward to look down the line to Arcadia.

“The irony you say that, considering your actions this morning with Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia entered the throne room stealing the attention of those watching the screen. Celestia was issuing orders to the guards following her, and they would stop to salute before turning to carry them out. Celestia came to a stop at the group and glancing around briefly she let out a sigh letting the mask come off and her sadness show through.

“Queen Arcadia, I cannot express how sorry I am for what has happened on what should have been a historical event between our two races. I would understand if you wish to seek a higher court to hold us responsible for…”

Arcadia spoke rather calmly as she turned her body fully to face the sun princess.

“As much as I hate to say this, Abbey Belle is adamant in not accepting any return to the hive, by admission before your court this morning she accepted herself to be a subject of Equestria. I have not been harmed in the slightest other than by nearly losing a friend and the one to whom I view a mother more than Chrysalis ever was. Therefore let the ink dry, I’ve no grounds to accuse Equestria of anything, but I assure you if Blueblood gets caught by my hive I’ve every intention of giving a few bruises before turning him over to Equestria.”

Celestia gave a weak smile feeling slightly better knowing all the work this morning was left intact for now.

“I can overlook a few bruises, and I give you my word that he will be shown no mercy in the eyes of the law. However, I’m interested to know what the throne room is being used for, I sensed some high strength wards from outside the door, and it seems you’re watching something with the aide of Sorrow’s technology. I had a hard time finding guards that were not already dedicated to orders in a discrete search for Blueblood.”

Luna spoke up looking at her sister.

“That is because Moonlight is in effect, Tia, and they are either searching or sealing Canterlot from escape. There is also the fact that Spike claimed you as a parent and used the position of prince to enter a deal between Glaxia and Equestria. Something I’m rather curious about sister?”

Two Shanks shook his head.

“This agreement was not planned into Moonlight. The guard will not like third parties treading on their hooves, and I doubt they would take orders from Spike.”

Sorrow’s eyes moved to the left as something in that statement didn’t sit right with her.

“Commander Sheffield, I need a list of high value targets, people, cities, and redirect all resources to begin tracking anything related to these targets. I don’t care how many departments get in on this. Whose up in the rotation for ground combat?”

The screen changed to show an bridge console operator.

“Commander Sheffield is down in the black corridors talking to some concerned officers who requested him. We’ve begun your list regardless, and the next up in the rotation is the fifth army. The records indicate this is a relatively new group. They have little on the ground experience, given the nature of this, and what’s at stake I’d put my money on the second army.”

Sorrow pulled out her tablet and looked at something and her frown worsened and she put the device back in its carrier.

“I agree, go ahead and give the readying orders to the second army, and any not fit for duty are to be replaced from the fifth. They stay shipside until needed, and send me down a tech team with a projection table. That will be all ensign.”

The ensign finished the last keystroke and reaching up pressed a button that returned the previous screen. Celestia raised an eyebrow and Luna asked the question.

“What is causing your distress to put so much into motion? Canterlot will not support an army of fifty thousand soldiers, and it will cause unneeded stress to our subjects.”

Sorrow smiled slightly as the group with a large table appeared mid throne room and began to set it up.

“No army on board my ship is less than two hundred thousand strong plus support elements. The answer to your question of what is worrying me. I don’t know what happens under Moonlight, and what Commander Sheffield discovered down in the black corridors just solidified the worst case scenario.”

Cadence didn’t like the sound of this, and glanced to the still silent and contemplating Celestia. She let lose the question from her lips.

“What did Commander Sheffield discover?”

Sorrow looked at Cadence.

“That someone in this room is not who they appear to be.”

The setup worked as Two Shanks reacted in pulling the sword and prepared to drive it into Celestia. Sorrow merely pulled her pistol and shot. The bolt of light severed his left leg and caused the princesses to leap in all directions away from the immediate area as the green flames overtook the minotaur leaving a changeling in its place.

The princesses found themselves shielded by guards with leveled spears on the changeling. Sorrow didn’t lower her weapon and kept it trained on the wounded spy. Arcadia focused a harsh glare upon it, her horn began to glow a soft green. The wounded changeling began to click and thrash about on the floor as if in agony before going still. Arcadia came closer, picking up her forehoof before closing her eyes.

“There is no forgiveness for any who played a part in that tragedy.”

She brought her forehoof crashing down upon the skull of the drone, the blow causing a sickening crack, and it was over for the drone at her hooves.

Nopony made a move for the longest time. The rumors of hive justice being brutal and swift were just proved true in a single instant. Then it began, the soft giggle turned to laughter, the tones made Cadence and Celestia both take an extra step back as the guards tightened their stances. How eerily familiar to Chrysalis she sounded, and it ended quickly as the doors opened and Twilight entered with the rest of the 225th.

Twilight surged ahead spotting, from her angle, the Lady of Sorrows pointing something at Princess Luna. Her concern for the princess was replaced the moment she smelled the effects of the plasma and seeing the dead changeling at Arcadia’s hooves. She turned around starting to get nauseous, and Tatiyana took a knee.

“Twilight, look at me…”

Twilight looked up in Anna’s eyes, still resisting the urge to throw up the small amount of food she just ate, and even that was forced by the hospital workers. Anna continued using a practiced hand to rub in all the right places to calm her down.

“Good, nice slow deep breaths, the smell will pass in a moment, and remember what Sound Mind told you to do.”

Twilight frowned noticing the lack of parchment and quill. Anna reached into her pack and pulled out a small notepad and a pen.

“If you need more, just ask, I’ve a few more pads in my pack.”

Twilight took the items in her magic and gave Anna a hug before moving off to the side to start writing out her recent episode for her therapist.

Jezabelle spoke up looking at the screen.

“Glaxia, Spikes plan has gone to hay. Mother was right, he has spies about, but that still doesn’t explain how calm he is.”

The screen changed and Spike was looking back at them.

“No, it hasn’t completely went to hay. He is still down here in the dock district.”

Celestia ignored the body on the throne room floor for a moment as the guards began to drag it out through a service entrance. Maids appeared from other unseen entrances to start mopping the floor. The discussion had moved down to the now working projection table, where smaller three dimensional Spike sat on its surface

“That is twelve blocks of housing and businesses plus warehouses, Spike. The guard is already stretched thin maintaining order, searching other districts, and maintaining the bare minimum of protection on the palace. Those that are left are ones that are already exhausted and will do us no good to send out again until they rest a bit.”

Luna spoke up indicating Sorrow with a sweep of her hoof.

“The Lady of Sorrows has a solution to a lack of hooves on the field. Tia, we can ask for her aide, and she has made some of her guard available for such a request. I loathe to admit that perhaps we are wrong in our guess in number of targets.”

Cadence looked at Luna.

“You mean killing those children was a ruse? I thought his intentions were to pit ponies against changelings, but if that is not his true goal then we’re lost in the dark and running out of time.”

Cadence remembered what Blueblood said to her and blurted out the quote.

“Peace in our time is but a dream, who can destroy Equestria better than one who serves as part of its leadership. He said that to me right before he teleported out of the building.”

Spike’s wings unfurled a bit as he jumped on the same thought train as Princess Luna.

“He’s not leaving Canterlot because he has the same checklist we do. If Two Shanks was replaced at The Shipmaster, then I guess I’ll have to stomach a game of Billiards, and it won’t be the first time I took one for the team.”

Twilight dropped the pad and paper spinning around to look at the table.

“No Spike, that is too dangerous, and what of your noble dragon code? What would you tell Rarity if she found out you slept with some pony with loose morals?”

Spike roared at the screen and he turned fuzzy for a moment on the table.

“I’m not going to sleep with it!”

Mindy was heard shouting back at Spike.

“Control yourself, you lose it like that again I will send you back to the palace, and any objections will be met with the full force of my claws. You ruined any chance of you aiding in the inside venture by roaring loud enough so that the whole district could hear.”

Spike cleared up on the table and Twilight was seen wiping a tear out of her eye. Spike’s wings drooped a bit feeling bad for shouting at her. Twilight broke the silence as she came close to the table.

“Why are you putting yourself in danger?”

Spike looked at the screen, and in particular the worried eyes of Twilight.

“Twilight, do I need to point out how many times you put yourself in danger?”

Spike watched Twilight flinch a bit, and as much as he wanted to follow up with an apology he kept going.

“When I first read my birth certificate I thought I was the luckiest dragon in the world. Princess Celestia’s name was right there on the father’s line. Then I got disappointed when Celestia told me the truth that I was not actually a prince.”

Celestia chanced a glimpse around the table. Luna was being attentive to learn more about what her sister hadn’t said yet. Cadence had a hint of anger in her eyes, and looked away soon as their eyes met. Sorrow look interested in the subject like Luna was, Jez and Cecilia were taking a page out of their mother’s book in maintaining a deadpan look. Spike spoke again causing her to focus back on him.

“The only parent I have is you Twilight, and you are worth a broken promise to a queen.”

Twilight started to tear up again, this time it was from the warm fuzzy feeling in her chest.

“Oh Spike… you don’t need a fancy title, but you still haven’t answered my question.”

Spike drew himself up tall, and for once even in a female body the amount of pride showed to everyone at the table.

“I’m getting to that Twilight, but this was important to the answer.”

Spike took one last deep breath hoping this would come out right.

“I can’t be a pony because I was born dragon. I can’t be dragon since I was raised by ponies. I feel, I hope, and I dream like everypony else. I may not be born a prince, but I will be a prince through deed alone. I may not have the size, but I got the heart. I dunno, It sounded better in my head.”

Twilight wiped an eye.

“Don’t you mean princess?”

Spike gripped his forehand and tore up a bunch of cobblestones.

“I see you’re feeling better now.”

Twilight gave a weak smile.

“This isn’t your comic books Spike. You’re going to be safe right?”

Spike was going to chance fate and spoke while making the motions.

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye that I’m going to be alive and well when this is all over.”

Twilight shuddered at the thought of such a bold move and wondered if… Twilight shook her head to clear such dark thoughts.

“It’s rough not having my number one assistant around to cheer me up.”

Spike rolled his eyes.

“I’m sorry I’m not assisting you right now, I’m assisting Equestria, and I’ve gotta go do assisting stuff.”

Glaxia took the cue to end the connection and the table surface switched back to an overview as the group broke up, with Glaxia and Mindy heading for the main entrance to the bar, while Spike and Garble moved to take up spots in watch of the rear exit of the establishment.

Luna glared daggers at her sister, and all Celestia could do was hang her head feeling a second set of eyes join the staring contest on her. Arcadia broke the tension by indicating Cadence with a sweep of a bloody hoof.

“Back to the task at hand, figuring out what other targets are valuable, and how they play into the moonlight protocol.”

Twilight spoke up indicating herself.

“What about me and my friends as element bearers?”

Luna nodded and proceeded to explain the moonlight protocol.

“You’re correct, I sent a messenger to have your friends brought on a emergency express train, and escorted to the palace under heavy guard. They would be vulnerable on the train itself or if rogue changelings have infiltrated the guard commanders of the units meant to escort them here.”

Sorrow holstered her pistol and pulled out her tablet to issue orders quietly and not interrupt as Luna went on.

“The guards would be operating under a city wide threat, all legions would be moving on a rotating timetable to rest guard units while others continued the search for our fugitive. A search of the accused estate would be conducted for further clues, and the palace would be on lockdown until we signal the all clear. Individual nobles would be given news and their private security details would take appropriate measures. All military forces are also being alerted as we speak in the off chance they have to be recalled to retake the city. The borders are closed, airship traffic suspended save for military vessels, trains will stop at the next decent city or not leave their destinations save for military transport. Martial law goes into effect kingdom wide with curfews imposed on our subjects and the call up of inactive militia now that we have them. Speaking of which, Princess Cadence, I would appreciate you making a letter for your assistant in the empire to alert everyone there, and I would think that they would react better if it came from yourself rather than myself or Tia.”

Cadence nodded and Blue Ink materialized out of nowhere with the items needed for Cadence. Cadence noted the look on Blue Ink’s features.

“Are you okay Blue Ink? You seem off today, surely Luna has been preparing you for times like this. She is surprisingly a pony that likes being prepared for emergencies.”

Blue Ink turned away to return to her place beside her princess’s throne. Cadence’s ears folded back for a moment semi hurt that the lunar assistant wouldn’t open up to her.

“She was supposed to be there this afternoon, but overslept and when the guard woke her at my instruction and brought her up to date… you can imagine how she is feeling right now, Cadence.”

Sorrow tapped her ear.

“What is it… I see… have Commander Sheffield patch the table to the forward kitchens. he’ll know who I want to talk to.”

Sorrow put her tablet away and looked at the table as the back of Mindy’s husband was seen working on the finishing touches of a casserole. There were several more waiting on the table for the same treatment, and Sorrow cleared her throat causing the hybrid’s ears to turn a bit. She set down her ingredients and turned around to face the screen.

“It is a little late to be changing the evening food order SalSane.”

Sorrow narrowed her eyes and Lola didn’t seemed phased in the slightest.

“Lola, I prefer Sorrow or Captain while in the company of others. However, with your wife already planetside on another task, I need your skillset down here as well. And I’ve no intentions of changing the order. I’ve been wondering when you were going to break out that casserole again. Have your staff take over and Glaxia will bring you to me when you’re ready.”

Lola turned to the left and snapped her finger before pointing the same hand at the table. She looked back at the screen.

“I’m ready now SalSane.”

The screen closed and the flash was quick and Lola looked like a duplicate of Mindy and a older version of Cecilia and Jezabelle. Sorrow turned to face her.

“I thought I made it clear how to address me?”

Lola wiped her hands on the apron she still wore and responded to Sorrow.

“I made it perfectly clear at Farpoint how I would address you, and I don’t think it has changed in all the time I have lived on your ship. Be honored I use your given name. Now what have you called me down here for?”

Sorrow pulled the tablet back out and the table changed to show the train carrying the rest of the element bearers. It was moving away from Mount Canterhorn on a track taking it north.

“Given the information I just received this train is carrying very important ponies, and it just drove right by its destination. Lieutenant Yulee pictures of the bearers please…”

Yulee side projected her screen beside the table, and it was split into five images.

“These are the ponies we believe to be on that train. Operator, bring the train up on the table and overlay a thermal image.”

The train was projected into the table surface in varying colors representing heat sources. Sorrow continued as she set her tablet down on the table.

“The caboose has three stationed in it, fourth passenger car has two in a rotating patrol, third car has six in it, at least four guards and two hostages, third car has another six, and second car has four. Judging by the buzz in my ear right now Intel has got me still frames ready. However, first passenger car is empty, coal tender, and three working the engine.”

The screen showing the pictures of the elements changed showing very detailed still shots. Lola took over from there.

“So my assignment is to infiltrate this train and rescue these mares?”

Sorrow reached over and touched on her tablet and the screen with the overview was back and it zoomed in way ahead on the tracks where a large bridge crossing was, and parked next to the bridge was an airship.

“This airship was hijacked by larger heat sources, its passengers are being held below the deck in a group, if I had to stab a guess this is the intended destination. You’ll be placed below decks where you’ll eliminate the guards there until the mares are brought on board. Once verified the whole group of you will be brought up to deck 34 midships holding area and verified through testing.”

Lola took off her apron and tossed it aside.

“Jez comes with me, I get three days on planet leave with my family, and every kill earns me double my hourly rate.”

Sorrow rolled her eyes and waived it off as nothing.

“Deal, I swear you find a way to extort something out of me, but why not take Cecy with you while you’re at it?”

Lola started to limber up responding while Jez and Shion got ready for the mission.

“Cecy was momma’s girl, she will back up my wife if she runs into a need, or take the train if the split up the hostages further.”

Lola finished and looked at Jezabelle and Shion who finished putting on the last of their combat gear. Jez nodded and Sorrow looked at the silent princesses.

“Permission to execute rescue mission?”


The front door to The Shipmaster opened with a jingle of the bell above it, and talk died down among its patrons as they watched Glaxia enter, and she looked to be expecting some trouble. A few hushed whispers at tables, and groups began to laugh a bit as Glaxia came further into the establishment. The laugher died soon as the stone faced Mindy entered and closed the door behind her.

Glaxia noted an oddly dressed mare hanging on a couple of stallions at the bar. She climbed up on a stool and Mindy came to sit beside her as the bartender came down to them staring hard at Glaxia.

“I don’t serve children here.”

Glaxia’s pout face was out in force, and she crossed her arms on her chest.

“Fine, be that way, I’ve only 5.5 million soldiers up for leave rotations, I’m sure there are finer establishments they could spend their gold at.”

The stallion looked to Mindy.

“She’s joking right?”

Mindy eyes made him uncomfortable in the small silence.

“No, Glaxia is being quite serious, if your price chart is correct, even with one drink served, in a day you could make well over a million bits, and to think we came down here to consider your establishment for contract.”

The stallion’s jaw unhinged for the briefest of moments before snapping it closed and looking back at the pouting child.

“Perhaps… let me start over young miss. I’m Top Amber, I own The Shipmaster, and you are?”

Glaxia humphed still pouting, and the stallion looked to Mindy. Mindy did not hesitate introducing herself to the pony.

“Senior First Lieutenant Mindy Barnum.”

The stallion raised an eyebrow as something about that name seemed familiar to him.

“You wouldn’t happen to be related to Cecilia Barnum? The one like you that crashed into Ponyville, and saved our flanks in the invasion a few weeks ago.”

Mindy nodded slightly causing the stallion to swallow hard, and run a forehoof through his mane.

“How are you related, and what can I get for you?”

Mindy slid the bowl of oat stalks down in front of her. She picked one out as she charged her index claw and started slicing the stalk down its middle while she responded to his question.

“I’m her mother, and I want her…”

Mindy pointed with a claw down to the oddly dressed mare that was now staring at them. Top Amber did his best to quell his quaking hind legs as Mindy picked out a fresh stalk and repeated the process again.

“Lady Mindy, the billiard tables are closed for the night, perhaps there is something on the menu I can offer you instead?”

“Bah!”

Glaxia slid off the chair, landing on her feet, and straightening her ears she walked down the bar. The mare dropped back to all fours to meet Glaxia as the child came around the end. Glaxia wasted no time.

“Glaxia Celfus, Living AI controller for the ship in orbit, but Mindy needs to get laid bad. How many girls you got working for you?”

The mare just smiled before flat out laughing as she stomped a hoof on the floor. A door to a backroom opened up and four more mares came out, dressed even more enticing, and the display caused more than a few stallions to blush and shift in their seats. The mare came closer raising a hoof to trace along the cheek of Glaxia.

“Is five good enough for you both?”

Glaxia blinked a bit breaking eye contact with a horrible blush giving a silent nod. The mare looked over at Top Amber.

“I’m sure we have time for one small game for our guests, I just hope I’m not disappointed if my girls are left unsatisfied with either of them.”

Mindy could have done without the whistles of the stallions as she walked down to join Glaxia. Mindy was going to have a nice chat in a dark hallway with whoever suggested this course of action to Glaxia. The mare gently turned Glaxia around to face Mindy draping her forehooves over the child’s shoulders.

“Why don’t we dispense with the formalities and get to why you’re really here?”

Mindy pointed at the mare.

“My associate is not a pole to lean on, get off of her before she kills you, and my business is not for the whole tavern to hear.”

The mare slid off Glaxia’s shoulders, but still kept the child between her and Mindy.

“Of course that would be fine if the whole tavern was not filled with my personal army of controlled ponies. It was unwise of you to come here, and you will no longer interfere in the business of Lord Blueblood.”

Glaxia turned around to face the mare with a sad look on her face.

“How many bodies will it take before you realize that Blueblood doesn’t give a damn about you. Do you even know what he did at the orphanage today?”

The mare shot back quickly and with anger in her voice.

“Who does care about us? Ponies hate the sight of us, other races try to kill us on sight, and Chrysalis abandoned us when we got scattered during the first invasion. I don’t know what he did, and I don’t care since he took us in, and gave us a purpose and food.”

Glaxia brought her screen back and showed her each and every dead colt, filly, and the one adult pony. The mare took a step back in shock and shook her head.

“He would never do such a thing…”

Glaxia covered her ears as the screaming terror of children played as the screen displayed all the recorded views of the orphanage during the massacre.

When it finished with what Glaxia recorded, she dismissed the screen, and looked at the mare in front of her that now had a lone tear streaking its way down the left side of her muzzle. Glaxia spoke as she hugged the mare in front of her.

“He used you, and sought your demise through the righteous anger of ponies. He almost used me to kill you. You are a victim of the worst kind, a puppet who's so afraid of her strings being cut she would die loyally in the name of the puppeteer. To answer your question, I care, but Blueblood needs to be stopped before more are hurt by the cruelty of his plan.”

Glaxia broke the hug and the mare brought a hoof up to wipe away the tears the best she could.

“We’re doomed if we help you. Lord Blueblood would know the moment I turn on him, he is probably watching us right now.”

Mindy spoke as she approached setting her right hand on Glaxia’s left shoulder.

“In your statement just now is the truth that he has most likely abandoned you the moment you entertained the thought of betraying him to us. What you should be saying is, I seek asylum within the commonwealth of Glaxia, and the power those words have will amaze you.”

Spike let out a yelp as the street lit up white around him, and it was packed with soldiers already on the move to predetermined spots. A group stayed as its commanding officer looked up at Spike.

“Glaxia and Senior First Lieutenant Barnum have secured the cooperation of a few changelings. The trail goes underground Prince Spike, the changelings have sought asylum within the commonwealth. My unit is to escort you back to the castle and bring you up to date on what happened inside so you can explain to your princesses.”

Spike looked down at the soldier as Garble came back into sight being led by another unit.

“What about the trail going underground?”

The sergeant grinned up at Spike.

“The second army is going to steamroll it, but Glaxia wants to pass on her thanks, Prince Spike. You can still assist from the castle if things change.”

Spike looked at Garble.

“So anything cool happen on your end?”

Garble shook his head.

“Nah, just a bunch of ponies trotting by like they own the place and then I about turn these guys into barbecue. You?”

Spike gestured to the street. “423,675 cobblestones pave from my toe claws to the back of the tavern.”

Garble shook his head.

“I got you beat, 1,446,003 million cobbles and pavers in the intersection of the celestial cycle.”

Spike shot back. “I live with a librarian, what’s your excuse?”

Garble laughed as he started down the street towards the palace.

“I’m not attracted to ponies.”

Spike just shook his head.

“Yeah, well no funny business with me, got it?”

Garble just face palmed but kept going without a reply.


(The tunnels beneath The Shipmaster.)

Blueblood stared into the orb with a growing frown in the green glow.

“This is much sooner than anticipated, and quite troublesome.”

He looked up to the two waiting ponies.

“How long until we break through?”

The earth pony stepped forward speaking quickly after a quick bow.

“We are mere few hoof lengths from breaching the vault, any minute we should receive word. What may I ask is worth risking capture for?”

The prince stood up as the smile returned to his face. “Immortality in the form of a spell, and the only magical artifact capable of overpowering the elements of harmony. The sword and scabbard of creation. Also contained within is the means of my escape in the form of the Five Bells of StarSwirl the Bearded to power the mirror of his design. I am confident you will ensure with your lives that the bells are scattered once I pass through.” Blueblood approached the last yet to speak, and by far the roughest looking in appearance. The mare bowed before him, and he spoke to her with the most gleeful of voices.

“I believe it is time I returned something, you will do well not to abuse it lest I leave and you be forever mute.”

Blueblood looked back to his ornate chair and from a shelf cut into the stone he levitated a small jar that had a small little dot of orange glow in it. He dispelled his wards upon it and removed the top, letting the orange glow immediately return to the still bowing mare.

“You were quite reluctant to aide me at first, but do you now see the error of your ways?”

The mare’s voice was raspy at first.

“Yes my lord…”

Blueblood continued as he fetched another item from the shelf, this one within a box that had some very sinister markings, and he let it rest at the nose of the mare.

“I have one last task for you, it should be easy for a mare in the position I put you in. A mare believed to be gone. The task I assign is to kill Princess Celestia with the dagger of the basilisk's fang. If you fail this task, if you try to run, or any number of foolish things, then upon my return my spies will inform me and I will find you. There is nowhere to hide, nopony who will believe you. Do not fail me Sunset Shimmer.”