• Published 14th Oct 2015
  • 387 Views, 9 Comments

Tales of Old: the Sacking of Timbucktu - Prince_Staghorn



200 years in the past. A cloud city. An invasion.

  • ...
1
 9
 387

Chrysalis and Aurora

The nation of Timbucktu coasted to a stop over the harbor of the capital city. Chrysalis stood on a pier, staring up at the massive cloud before flying upwards, accompanied by several elite changeling guards.

If this meeting ended badly, she was sure she could rally the leaders of the other islands if needed^, but hopefully it would not come to that.

Several forms detached themselves and carefully glided down from the cloud. The contingent of crystal-eyed pegasi did not land, but instead hovered before the changelings. A yellow mare spoke.

"Greetings. You must be Chrysalis."

"I am. I must admit that I am surprised Orion chose not to come down here himself."

"The king is occupied at the minute, but sends his greetings."

Chrysalis scrutinized the mare. "I see. May I ask why he has chosen to visit Neighpon this day?"

The mare shifted, slightly uncomfortable, averting her sapphire eyes.

"He desires that you declare some fealty to him. Offer up a share of your crops, and he will not raze the city."

Chrysalis stared at the mare, pupils contracting slightly.

"I do not take such threats lightly. Had the option of fealty been dropped along with the threat, I may have considered sharing some, but now I want questions answered. How much, may I ask, does he desire?"

The emissary wilted slightly. "R... roughly half..."

Chrysalis could not allow that, even without the King's threat. Neighpon relied on the rice, seaweed, and other crops to feed its own population, and it had been a rough year due to various droughts.

No. Not half of the crops.

"And if I refuse?"

Here the mare began stuttering and stammering. A stallion glared at the changeling queen and flashed a small bolt of magic upward.

The underside of Timbucktu crackled and rumbled before a thunderbolt struck, splintering several unlucky ships. Chrysalis and her guards stared in open-mouthed horror. the smell of burning wood and flesh reached her nostrils. The stallion responsible for the signal glared at her.

"We will give you three days to decide."

With that, the pegasi ascended up to the clouds, and Timbucktu drifted away.

***

On the Southern Island, all was peaceful. A white-maned Kirin mare, her sapphire and gold scales shimmering in the sunlight, smiled as she watched her chubby daughter toddling around.

This was Empress Aurora and her daughter Snow^^, the current royal line of the South Island. Aurora ruled with a kind and caring hoof, and was more tolerant of the changelings than her predecessors. Under her rule, all was peaceful...

Unless, as her Baku advisor put it, "War were declared."

Her ear swiveled back as she heard the soft pad of three-toed feet. Looking back, she found the source of the noise.

Komon, the royal advisor, was a typical baku, with black-striped orange legs ending in three-toed feet, a long, tufted tail, and a short-trunked head with two small tusks. The black fur on his yellow-spotted body was streaked with grey, attesting to his age.

Aurora smiled. "Yes, Komon? What's on your mind?"

The baku did not return the smile.

"News has just come concerning Timbucktu's visit to the North Island."

The smile fell from the Empress' face. "And...?"

"My lady... War were declared."

Author's Note:

^Despite ruling all of Neighpon, the Roachanovs have maintained a tradition of still allowing the other islands to keep their own rulers and cultures. This has extended to countries in service/fealty to Neighpon. Thus the South Island is still ruled by kirin royalty, Foal Island maintains its rule-by-descent traditions (though this has undergone a major shift ever since the current queen was born without a twin brother), and Ib'xian retains its Markhor emperor.

the only exception has been Carrea, which until Neighpon's interference was a tyrannical dictatorship.

^^See Peace at Last Side Stories: Back in Neighpon