• Published 14th Oct 2015
  • 383 Views, 9 Comments

Tales of Old: the Sacking of Timbucktu - Prince_Staghorn



200 years in the past. A cloud city. An invasion.

  • ...
1
 9
 383

A Tale of Two Countries

Neighpon's military might was fairly unique in its diversity.

For all its talk of harmony, Equestria's army was still comprised mostly of Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi, with a few Noctrals to provide nocturnal support. North Griffonia tended to only involve Eagle, Falcon, Hawk, and Owl Griffons in their campaigns. Even Camelu, which boasted the largest army within the world, was still fairly homogenous when it came to soldiers, sticking to Dromedaries and hired cutthroats.

Neighpon, however, was diverse, and it made use of that fact. Changeling soldiers fought beside Kirin Samurai (when they weren't fighting each other), Tengu air squadrons drove enemy soldiers towards Kappa shock troops waiting in the water, Tsuchigumo webs held foes in place while oni stallions used their clubs, and the dragons devastated foreign troops while massive Omukade centipedes dispatched enemy dragons.

Of course, this would not all happen at once all the time. Certain species would be chosen for certain situations. For example, while the Tengu could provide good air support, they could not maneuver well in forested areas, so instead changelings would be deployed. Likewise, the massive Omukade were specifically hired to take down enemy dragons.

The fact was, no one had ever seen the full might of Neighpon's army, despite the various wars the country had taken part in. The Changeling-Kirin Wars took place with only the two species it was named after involved, and the various wars with North Griffonia tended to only have the Changelings and Tengu fighting on Neighpon's side, though Colonel Mejiro, a Tsuchigumo, had also taken part in the fighting.

It was because of this diversity, an army prepared for anything, that few dared to openly declare war on Neighpon.

***

The Shitake Clan were a peaceful tribe of Tengu who lived by farming mushrooms.

They were average as far as Tengu went, a tribe of multicolored equines with feathered wings, bird-like tails, and two legs ending in hooves.

Living high in the mountains, they were the first to spot the large cloud heading against the wind towards Neighpon. The chief chose the swiftest messenger, a young colt with green plumage, to carry the news to the Empress:

"Timbucktu is approaching."

***

Starry Daze, a Pegasus mare, turned from the telescope to look at her king, ruby-like eyes glinting in the light.

"We should be at the coast of the north island within the next few hours."

Orion, the king of Timbucktu, nodded, his own sapphire eyes fixed on the horizon.

Neighpon would have to see reason. The cloud-grown crops of his own country were failing, and he would not allow his people to starve. But he also knew that they could not remain on the cloud anymore. If they were to survive, then they would need to claim a new home.

And if Neighpon's Empress did not comply... then force was necessary.

It was possibly suicide. Neighpon was not a country to be trifled with, and news of the Coronation had reached him. This new Empress could be every bit as ruthless as her mother had been.

***

Chrysalis sat in her room, cooing and tickling the colt who was currently on the floor. Stag giggled as his mother gently poked his stomach, and laughed happily as Chrysalis blew raspberries on the foal's belly.

Her daughters were close by. The 10-year-old, Hope, gently nuzzled her mother, while the 5-year-old albino, Moth, looked at the small colt.

"Does he... do anything else?"

Chrysalis chuckled. "He's only a baby, dear. He's not going to get up and start dancing. Here, why don't you hold him?"

Chrysalis gently picked up her son, showing Moth how to hold him, and then carefully gave her the colt.

Stag burrowed into the cuddle, babbling happily, and Moth smiled, gently nuzzling him back.^

That was when someone knocked on the door.

"Your Majesty? There's a message for you."

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. "Can it wait?"

"Your Majesty... Timbucktu's approaching the country."

Chrysalis sighed before turning to her children.

"Stay here. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Author's Note:

^ It's not exactly known about what led Moth to eventually attempt her hostile takeover, her banishment, and finally the tragic events leading to her death in Peace at Last?

During her time as a ghost and her subsequent resurrection several years later, she has refused to talk about these events, as has the rest of her family, preferring that everyone just get over it and move on.