• Published 21st Apr 2015
  • 1,332 Views, 35 Comments

Beef Fondue Under The Sunset - Eggtaro



Beef Fondue is in love with someone, and he wants to confess his feelings to her. But not the plain and simple way, no. Beef wants it to be...special, memorable, and moving. So, naturally, he seeks help from his best friend, Sunset Shimmer.

  • ...
4
 35
 1,332

Beef

"I think I'm in love." said Beef Fondue, gawking at the girl in front of him.

Chicken Stock rolled his eyes at his friend. "Human's fall in love all the time, Beef." he followed his companion's gaze. "Whoa, is that the girl you think you're in love with?" he asked, his tone shocked. "Rarity?"

Beef gave Chicken Stock an insulted look. "And what is that supposed to mean?" Beef focused his attention back to the beautiful girl.

Canterlot High has it's fair share of pretty girls. But Rarity was an absolute stunner. She is part of a student band called The Rainbooms, taking the role of playing the keytar. Beef remembered that one time he saw her struggling to push a grand piano on campus, he would've help her but... he was too nervous to go up to her.

Chicken Stock shrugged. "Nothing, I'm just surprised that she's the kind of girl you like."

Beef raised an eyebrow. "My kind of girl?"

"Yeah," Chicken Stock nodded. "I've always thought you have a thing for Sunset Shimmer."

Beef raised both his hands in front of him. "Whoa, wait just a minute. What makes you think I like Sunset?"

Sunset Shimmer, lead guitarist and singer of The Rainbooms, is Beef's best friend. They became fast friends after the 'incident' of the Fall Formal. Though, the only thing he could remember about the incident is that it was just called the 'incident'. His memory about the rest of that night remained hazy and obscured. When approached about it, Sunset would either waved the subject away, or simply change the topic.

"You don't like her?" Chicken Stock asked, bewildered. "But you guys always hang out together."

"Of course I do," Beef replied, scratching the back of his head. "She's my best friend. Just not THAT kind of like."

"Uh-huh, sure." Chicken Stock nodded his head slowly. "So, you're head over heels for Rarity, big whoop. So do most of the male students in Canterlot High." Chicken glanced over at Rarity, who was busy chatting away with her friends. "Adding one more dude to her list ain't gonna change anything."

"Her list of what?"

"List of guys she turned down." said Chicken, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "The amount of confessions she gets a week is extraordinarily high, but that can't compared to the amount of dudes she rejected."

"Wait, did she turn down every one of them?"

"Do you see her boyfriend anywhere?"

"She has a boyfriend?" Beef quickly spun around to look at Rarity.

"Exactly."

The two friends continued down the crowded hallway. School was already over for that day. Students and teachers alike made their way through the bustling crowd, all eager to reach the exit to be freed from the clutches of school life. The crowd was the last thing on Beef's mind though.

"Maybe she didn't like the way they confessed?"

"Beats me, dude."

"What do you think I should I do?"

It was Chicken's turn to raise an eyebrow at Beef. "What do you mean 'I should do'?"

"You know, how I should confess to her."

Chicken slapped his forehead. "You can't be serious."

"I am serious, dude."

"How well do you know Rarity?"

"Err..."

Chicken placed his hand on Beef's shoulder. "Give it up, dude, she's way out of your league."

"She can't be that hard to get."

"Forget about it, dude. Don't waste your time building blocks that will fall down eventually." Chicken grabbed both of Beef's shoulders and gave him a serious look. "Your heart will get annihilated by her."

Beef pushed Chicken's hands away. "Why are you asking me to forget about her? Aren't you supposed to give me encouragement? Where's the bro support at?"

"I'm doing you a favour by telling you to stop thinking about her."

"What did she ever do to you?"

They have reached the exit. Chicken kept quiet as he slowly descended the steps. He stopped at the last step and turned around to look at his friend.

"She broke my heart." said Chicken, sounding glum. "I tried confessing to her, too. Let's just say, it didn't go as brilliantly as it did in my head." and without another word, Chicken waved goodbye to Beef and left.

Beef stared after his friend, watching him becoming smaller and smaller as he got further away.

Beef thought back on what Chicken had just said to him. Just what sort of rejection did Rarity gave to Chicken? To all of the other unfortunate souls? Wouldn't a simple 'no' do the job just fine? An ominous feeling began to manifest inside his belly. Maybe Beef should rethink his plan. Confessing all of a sudden wasn't really a great idea, anyway.

Or maybe he should just forget about her, just like what Chicken told him. But she's just so beautiful, so...so sophisticated, so elegant, so---

"Hi, Beef!"

Someone patted him lightly on the back. Beef spun around and was greeted by a smile he was all to familiar with.

Beef grinned at the girl standing before him. They have been best friends for as long as he could remember (One year, three months, and thirteen days), and she was always the first person he went to whenever he needed advice or help.

The girl tilted her head to one side, giving Beef a confused look. A strand of her crimson hair covered her face, but she made no attempt to push it out of the way.

"Beef?"

"Hey, Sunset." Beef said, ruffling Sunset Shimmer's hair, earning him an irritated "Hey!" from her. "What took you so long?"

Sunset pouted at him, patting her hair down. "If you haven't noticed, class just ended. I had to squeeze my way through that horde back there just to get here." she pointed behind her with her thumb. "Don't we usually meet by the bus stop?" she asked him.

"Oh, I just wanted to see you badly, so I deliberately stood here, secretly hoping that you will spot me in this crowd."

Sunset's face flushed red. "O-Oh! Y-you really wanted to see me that badly?" Sunset quickly looked down at her feet, hiding her face from public view.

Beef chuckled, ruffling Sunset's hair again. "Of course I do. You're my best friend after all."

Sunset looked up at him, a soft smile on her lips. "Well, best friend, shall we head home then?"

"Not right this moment, Sunset." Beef pointed at a building in the distance. "That's something I want to talk to you about. Care for a little detour?"

* * * * * *

"So, what is this thing you wanted to talk to me about?"

Beef glanced around the interior of Sugar Cube Corner. The shop was crowded with customers, and most of the tables were filled. The two of them were seated together at a small, round table. The ice in their drinks clinked against the glass lightly as Beef surveyed the shop. He wanted to make sure no one was within earshot.

Sunset bit into her strawberry cream cupcake, savouring it's sweetness. A happy smile danced on her lips as she picked up the strawberry that was placed on top of the mini-cake. She loved the cupcakes here, and would come here whenever she gets the chance.

Sunset gave the strawberry a lick before taking a small bit into it, gazing at Beef. What did Beef wanted to talk about? Why here and not at school?

Not like she was complaining, though. A free cupcake and iced latte was more than enough to persuade her to come. Luckily, there wasn't any band practice that day. The Rainbooms still met regularly for practice even after the events of the Battle of The Bands.

Beef returned his attention to Sunset. He brought her here so that he could ask her for advice on Rarity. Sunset and Rarity are both close friends anyway. Surely that were some sort of tips she could give to him.

"Sunset, I need your help." Beef spoke, leaning forward.

Sunset blinked at him. "You're always asking me for help."

"Well, that's because you're very helpful."

Sunset sucked lightly on her half-eaten strawberry. "And what if I don't want to help?"

"You haven't even heard what's the problem yet."

"I don't need to, cause I have a feeling is gonna be something silly again. Like that time you needed my help with the bunnies."

"Fluttershy wasn't around that time! You know I'm terrible with animals!"

"Who on earth goes chasing after bunnies with a shovel?"

"I thought it would be useful at the time! Who knows when those furry, little snowballs might decide to dig a hole to hide in."

"They were running inside the school." Sunset shook her head slowly, the memory of the bunny hunt playing clearly in her head. "They can't dig through tiles."

Beef frowned at her. "I was panicking!" he fiddled with his straw, causing the ice to shift about in his drink. "The shovel was the first thing that popped into my head."

Sunset giggled, "Oh, the look on Fluttershy's face was priceless!"

Beef groaned. "Look, are we gonna reminisce on my past mistakes or are you going to hear me out?"

Sunset fought the urge to laugh again, and nodded. "Alright, let's hear it." she pulled her latte closer to her. "What's seems to be the problem?" she asked, before taking a sip.

Beef gave one last look around the shop. "I'm in love."

Sunset spluttered her drink all across the table and on Beef's face. She covered her mouth with her hand while the other made a frantic grab at the nearest napkin. She swallowed the remaining liquid within her mouth. "Omigosh! I'm sorry!" she rubbed Beef's face with the napkin. "I'm so sorry, Beef!"

Beef grabbed Sunset's hand, pulling it away from him. "Really, Sunset?" he took the napkin from her. "What kind of reaction was that?" he wiped his face.

"I-I was just surprised, t-that's all." Sunset stuttered, picking up another napkin to wipe the latte-covered table. "I-I thought I heard you say you're in l-l-love."

Beef stared at her. "That's what I said. I'm in love, Sunset. At least, I think I am."

Sunset face grew hot like fire. She continued wiping the table, staring anywhere except at Beef. "O-O-Oh! S-So y-you're in l-love with someone, h-h-hmm?" she tried to keep her voice steady.

Beef raised an eyebrow. He had never seen Sunset act like this before. "Yeah." he said slowly. "And I need your advice on how to confess to her."

"M-me?" Sunset asked, surprised. "W-what makes you think I can give advice on t-that?" she grabbed another napkin and resumed wiping, still not looking at Beef in the eyes.

"Well, for one thing, you know the person quite well. So, you know what kind of person she is. What she likes, that sort of thing."

"I-I see." Sunset brushed away a strand of her hair that slid down with a finger. "W-who is she?"

Sunset felt something warm grabbing her table-wiping hand. Her heartbeat quickened, her pulsed raced, and her cheeks burned hotter than before. She slowly looked up and saw Beef holding on to her hand, smiling at her. Her eyes widened. Was she the girl he was talking about? D-Does that mean Beef is in love with her?

He loves me? Sunset asked herself, looking directly at Beef's hazel eyes. I'm the person he's in love with?

Beef was still staring at her, his eyes unmoving, locking his sight with hers. Sunset gulped nervously. She needed to say something to break the silence. But what should she say?

"B-Beef, I---"

Beef pulled the already soaked napkin away from Sunset's hand. "Rarity." he said softly, releasing her hand.

Sunset's heart fell as quickly as her hand did. "R-Rarity?"

Beef nodded, placing the dirty napkin to one side. "Rarity." he repeated, smiling sheepishly at Sunset.

Author's Note:

Okay, at first I wanted this to be a oneshot, but quickly realized that this story will need more chapters than that. I feel like I could go further on this. But I already have other stories on which I want to finish. :raritydespair: So many stories, so little time to write them.

Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this chapter. :raritywink: