• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,306 Views, 52 Comments

Let Freedom Ring - Heat Signature



When a group of soldiers go on a cargo run, an ambush launches them into a world of despair and loss.

  • ...
21
 52
 2,306

Alliences and Letters.

Previously...

"Hold on a second. What do you think you are doing?" the princess said stepping closer to the creature.

"What are you?"

It then turned around and stared directly at her. It said only three words...

"We are Marines."


One day prior...
In the Everfree Forrest...

{Cpt. Maore's POV}

Waking up on the ground isn't that uncommon in this line of work. Waking up in the middle of a forest? That isn't something that normally happens when you're based out in Pakistan. Sitting up, I'm slowly regaining my vision with the Sun over head, shinning its blinding light in my face. looking to my left, I paused, rapping my mind around what was in front of me.

My Team. All of them were sleeping. Not one drop of blood on their uniform. Not a single scratch on them that I could see. However none of us had our gear on or weapons in reach. Turning to my to the left, I see the truck and Humvee parked side-by-side at the base of a tall tree. Our gear was placed against the side of the vehicles neatly, with our weapons and ammo resting on top. I got up and went over to secure my weapons incase this was a trap of sorts. Not having any idea where I am, is a problem. Not knowing who could be out there, Bigger problem. Holstering my Glock M9, shouldering my FN Scar, but leaving my gear safe by the truck with my M1014 shotgun; I was prepared to get a patrol formed and to scout out the area for hostiles.

A shot in the air would be a quick and effective way of getting them all on their feet, but the noise might attract unwanted attention. Cold water could work, but would take to much time finding a water source, carrying it, and dumping it on each soldier. I guess I don't need them all at the moment, I only need the team's sniper Sgt. Jennings, and the teams navigator 1stLt. Luciano. I can wake them up, have them get their primary and sidearm loaded, and then scout out the area to see if we can find out where we are. This clearing is too open for us to stay for long.

Luciano was awaken by a single touch to the shoulder, causing him to reach over suddenly, gripping my throat with both hands. Realizing it was me, he let go immediately, helped me to my feet, and awkwardly apologies.

"Sorry, Sir. I thought you were a Towel Head." He said, placing a hand on my back.

"Its...alright...soldier," I managed between gasps. "I...Hope...You're ready...for a scouting...mission."

"Of course, sir. When should I head out?" He questioned, seeming a little eager to get out into the woods around us. It doesn't seem to bother him that we aren't in a desert anymore.

"You're going to be traveling with Sgt. Jennings and I after you wake her up. I'm going to go write a note and place it on the Humvee windshield." I said, hinting that it was an order and not a request.

Few minutes later, the three of us meet up at the Humvee to move out. Jennings equipped with her Scoped M14A1 and Beretta M9, Luciano equipped with his M16A4 with red dot sight and Beretta M9, And myself using an FN Scar with fore grip and ACOG scope along with Glock M9. We were in fact traveling light, but with enough support to get us back to the others safe if we run into hostiles.

About an hour later, we found lightly used dirt road. Not knowing which way to go, we flipped a coin; Heads left, Tails right. Toss, Flip, Catch, and...Tails. That settles it I guess. I don't really think we'll find anything either way we travel. However, something in compelling us to travel down the path to the right, because a coin told us so. Luciano Cut an 'X' into a tree so we know were to turn off the path and get back to the others.

Not far down the road, we could start seeing further off into the woods, spotting a small clearing that cause us to slow to a stop, and watch in awe. A pack of wolfs made entirely of wood were growling and snarling at a creature with a snake's head, a tiger's head, and a ram's head. Their fight was interrupted by a chicken like creature that turned two of the wolves to stone with a single glance, which caused the rest to flee. We stayed on the side of the path, just staring at the open area that the events were happening in. A creature I could identify from mythology, Manticore, stalk out of the shadows casted by the treetops, stop next to the statues of wolves, and in swung its tail around to shatter the stones. Seconds later, the two wolves regenerated and backed off into the shadows. That was all I needed to see. I patted the two Marines with me on the shoulders and started a light jog down the path, with the guns safeties off.

We stopped to take a quick break. Jennings was the first to speak up.

"Anyone like to share with me what the hell I just saw?"

I didn't respond. I too was trying to make sense of what we saw.

"Well, we just watched a pack of 'Timber' Wolves try to fight a Chimera, a Cockatrice comes in and turns two wolves to stone, they get smashed by a Manticore, only to regenerate and creep away. What was so hard to understand there?" Luciano said with enough sarcasm in his tone to make you want to punch him. If you were dumb enough to try and fight him that is.

"You know, the kinda thing you see to get your ass thrown in a mental institute." He added.

"Well, I think whatever those creepy bastards were, these woods are filled with them and worse. We need to keep moving and find a better place to set up temporary camp." I said, getting to my feet.

"What about the others? What if one of those things stalks into camp and attacks?" Jennings asked.

"They're US Marines. They aren't allowed to die unless ordered to." I answered with a grin.


The forest finally ended a half hour later, and there were open fields for miles. Looking down along the boarder of the forest, I spied a small cottage. To the North of us, there was a large barn, with rows and rows of trees that had fresh fruit growing. Just further passed that, I spotted what looked like a town. Finally, civilization has been found. It wasn't even that far, maybe 20 minute walk if we took our time. I toke my first step...only to be stopped by Jennings who put up the "Hold" gesture. She shouldered her rifle, took aim, and seconds later lowered it.

"I knew it looked too good to be true." she said bluntly, which made Luciano and I very confused.

He using her rifle and I using my binoculars, saw what she was referring to. It would have been easy if there was a town of people at the end of the road to help us. Hell, I wouldn't care if they were a village of Towel Heads. But life just likes ta kick ya in the nuts sometimes.

The first thing we saw was a school house at the edge of town, letting the children go home to do whatever. Only they weren't kids. Kids aren't purple or blue, with horns or wings. Looking at whatever market stands were located on the outer part of the town, we saw the same looking creatures, but in greens and yellows and reds as well, no two looking exactly the same, or having the same color tones. They looked like the children of a Human-Horse Hybrid. That was it, we turned around and hustled back to the others. We need to get our things and head as far south as we can.

Heading south, the Marines stop to make camp in the middle of a new wooded area. What would the morning bring them...


Now...
On route to Badlands...

{Nobody's POV}

The ten soldiers, along with the two stallions, went to where the two vehicles were parked. Luciano shouldered his rifle and helped the teenage stallion and the other stallion to enter before the soldiers went into the armored vehicle. The Six remaining went to the truck as they started to drive away. Ink Quill and Heat Signature looked at the furless apes.

"What are you?" Heat Signature asked them, now fully conscious after the beating he received not too long ago.

Maore removed his helmet, and the others fallowed suit. He turned back to the two stallions and said "We are a special group of highly trained soldiers, bent on the protection, equality, and fair treatment of all. To your species we are Humans. However, to us, we're brothers and sisters in arms." The two were taken aback that a mythical creature was in front of them. Ink Quill groaned, as he remembered something that annoyed him.

"Great, I owe Lyra twenty bits now." Ink Quill said as he banged his head on the door.

"What do you mean, kid?" Luciano asked him.

"A couple of years ago, a Unicorn named Lyra said that you guys existed, but a lot of ponies said that she was crazy. She made many bets on your existance and she's right." Heat Signature said as they saw the entrance to the Badlands.

"Why are you heading towards the Badlands?" Ink Quill asked them.

"We read on a poster left in the woods that the Badlands are where male slaves head to be free and we want to have enough distance between us and them." Alvarado said as he drove the Humvee to their destination.


Meanwhile...
In Twilight's Castle...

Twilight was not in the happiest of moods and for a good reason. She and her friends were so close at capturing the two runaway stallions, when, out of nowhere, six furless apes told them to release them, in which they complied out of confusion and then ran off. She was pacing back and forth, mumbling about how she could have stopped them or why they didn't go after them.

"Uh, Twilight. I think that you should calm down." Rainbow Dash said as Twilight stopped and turned to the rainbow mane Pegasus.

"You're asking to me calm down?! How am I supposed to calm down when those things stopped us in the woods and robbed us!" Twilight yelled.

"Well, they're probly in the Badlands by now and there ain't nothin we can do without them there Changelings declaring another war. Maybe we should get Princess Celestia ta help us." Applejack said as she lazily sat back in her crystal chair.

"You're right, AJ!" Twilight said, with a new optimistic tone replacing her bitter one, "Maybe we should get Princess Celestia to help us with this situation. Spike!" Twilight yelled, as the young drake ran into the room.

"Yes, Twilight? What is it?" Spike asked her.

"I need you to send a letter to the Princess." Twilight said as spoke what she wanted him to write down and before he sent it to Canterlot. Twilight and the others now wait for Celestia's response.


Back with the soldiers...
In the Badlands...

The Humvee and transport truck were able to get to the Badlands and the place looked like the deserts in the southwest states. As Alvarado and Ebert drove the two vehicles, Luciano went to the 50 cal. machine gun, just in case something goes down they don't plan on. The soldiers heard what sounded like a buzzing noise slowly getting louder. PFC. Norten looked around and saw a bunch of black dots coming towards them.

"Sir, unknown contact coming at three o' clock." Norten radioed to the Captain.

"Can we get away from the threat?" Maore asked.

"Negative. At the rate they're moving, they'll be on us in in minutes." Norten said.

"All right then. Men, get ready, we got hostiles inbound." Maore said, as the Marines readied their weapons. They then left the vehicles, Corbin ordered the two stallions to stay inside the vehicle. As the enemy surrounded the transport truck and Humvee, Luciano loading the first round into the chamber. The beings touched down and the Marines had to do a double take at what they saw.

They looked like the Stallions they had in the Humvee, but had a black chitin skin instead of fur and had holes in their legs and wings and each had a horn. The Marines shoulder their rifles, until one of the creatures spoke up.

"What are you doing in the great Changeling Queen Chrysalis's territory?" The creature in ebony armor, commanding the Bug Things demanded.

"We're here to drop these slaves off in your land and then speak with whomever is ruler around here." Maore said, gesturing to Norten and Alvarez to get Ink Quill and Heat Signature. As they did, the Bug sent in some of its own soldiers to collect the two. It then approached the Captain.

"You may follow myself to the Queen, but you must keep your forces here. Choose only two of your warriors to come with us, and leave your weapons and armor with the rest."

"Uh Sir, these are creatures we know nothing about. How can we trust them? They might be leading us into a trap." Luciano said.

"Look, we're in unknown land and we are going to need allies. This could be our opportunity." Maore reasoned. Eventually, Luciano agreed to go with him and Ebert. Luciano, Maore, and Ebert left their primary weapons and removed most of their gear. They then drove the Humvee, with 50 Cal. removed, and its new occupance of three marines and three Bugs.

Author's Note:

I want to thank my Co-author, thomas29, who helped on this chapter.
This is the name list in case anyone forgot, or are confused...

Marines of Let Freedom Ring.
Cpt. Dennis Maore
Sgt. Emily Jennings
LCpL. Devin Ebert
PFC. Nick Norten
PFC. Bree Corbin
Pvt. Michael Cormick
Sgt. Brittney "Britt" Ozzemin
1stLt. Marcelino "Viper" Luciano
Pvt. George Alvarez
PFC. Christian Alvarado