• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 608 Views, 16 Comments

Hearts, Home, and Dragons - Dragonzero77



Wildfire goes to Ponyville intending to lead a quiet life...but instead ends up as the newest Princess's tenant

  • ...
5
 16
 608

Playing with fire

Two days had passed since Wildfire had moved in with the Princess. It took some time to get settled in and gather the things that Wildfire needed for his work. Items such as a smithy anvil and forge were brought in at Twilight's request.

The sun shone bright that morning, and as the dawn broke the sounds of clanging metal upon a surface could be heard, echoing throughout the halls of the castle.

Twilight awoke to the sound of Wildfire's working, only to see that Spike was knocking on her door. “Twilight! He's too loud!” Spike complained. “Tell him to quiet down!” he asked grumpily through the door.

Twilight opened the door and saw a very agitated number one assistant holding what looked like a plush horse with a white coat and purple mane - which, now that Twilight thought about it, closely resembled her friend Rarity - between his arms. She gave him a slightly blank look before kneeling beside him. “Spike, that would just be rude,” she explained. “Wildfire's a tradespony...that likes to begin working at the crack of dawn. Well, at least we won't need an alarm clock anymore,” Twilight joked with a slight twitch in her voice.

Spike then shook his head. “I’m gonna try to go back to sleep for a bit,” he replied sleepily. “Wake me when breakfast is ready.” Spike yawned as he tried to keep his eyes open.

Twilight gave a slight exasperated sigh. “Well, time for me to get up, at least!” she exclaimed. “I’m going to take a look at what Wildfire’s up to.” As Twilight went down to the lower reaches of the castle all that could be heard once more was the striking of a hammer and a strange noise as though Wildfire was yelling.

“Wildfire? Is it alright if I come in?” Twilight asked from outside the crystalline door. She was still getting used to the new architecture style, and wasn’t entirely comfortable.

The banging of the hammer stopped as Wildfire opened the door. “Oh, Princess! What are you doing up so early in the morning?” he asked with genuine surprise in his voice.

Twilight gave a sheepish smile. “Yeah, about that…” she began sardonically. “I heard some pretty loud noises coming from downstairs, and came to see what was happening.” Twilight’s curiosity was plain in her voice, as she tried to subtly tilt her head to see around Wildfire without drawing attention.

Wildfire ruffled his mane, having a rather tired look on his face. In front of him was a typical blacksmith anvil, a plain square burning red hot atop it. “I am trying to fold these silver ingots into a square shape so I can make silverware, but silver is always tricky for me,” Wildfire said while pointing to the ingots at the table with a slight twinge of frustration in his voice.

One of Twilight’s eyebrows rose up as she asked, “How are you able to keep the metal hot out of the fire so long? Silver doesn’t normally keep heat that well.”

“Normally, yes, sliver does not keep heat very well,” Wildfire explained, “but due to my process, I can keep the material nice and hot for as long as I wish, as long as I keep it at the right temperature, and shape the fire into the what the final result will look like,”.

Twilight’s eyes burst open with curiosity as she blurts out, “You can shape fire? Is it pony magic, or dragon magic? What are the limits to what shapes you can make? How does it help in your-”

Wildfire quickly spoke up before being swept away by Twilight’s questions. “Twilight, you're doing it again,” he said in the most polite tone he could muster.

“Sorry,” Twilight said as she blushed slightly. “Anyway, could you maybe show me how you shape your fire? I’m really curious on how it works.” Her eagerness beamed off of her like the rays of the morning sun.

“Sure thing, any request on what I should shape?” Wildfire asked with a bit of comedic wit in his voice.

“Hmm, how about something pretty and simple like a flower? Can you maybe do a chrysanthemum, or maybe a tulip?” Twilight said with genuine glee in her voice.

Wildfire thought for a few moments. “Alright then. I need you to please stand back while I do this.”

After Twilight had backed a safe distance away, Wildfire took in a deep breath. As he exhaled a flame with a more reddish hue came forth from his mouth. The fire began to coalesce, twisting, folding, and melding into a single solitary shape. Beyond the fire and the flames came a single burning rose floating in midair. Wildfire took hold of the stem.

The rose did not burn within his hand as Wildfire help it out to Twilight.

“My apologies princess, but I believe a rose would be better suited for somepony of your caliber,” Wildfire said in a sincere tone.

Twilight began to blush as she stammered, “Umm, yes. T-that’s very beautiful.” She started to reach towards it, then hesitated. “Does it hurt to hold it?”

“Not at all. I can assure you that it's quite cool to the touch.” Wildfire said as he handed Twilight the flaming flower.

To her surprise it did not burn. It had weight, and texture. Twilight stood there astonished as she stared. “Wildfire, this is amazing!” she gasped in awe. “The level of magical skill to make something like this must be no small task.”

“Most of my magic is in my flame, so in a sense the flame even when it’s outside my body is still an extension of myself,” Wildfire replied with a sliver of pride in his voice.

Moments later Spike stepped into the room. “Hey Twilight, cool flower. where’d you get it?” he said curiously.

Twilight looked to Spike with a smile. “Wildfire made it with his flame,” she said softly. She then thought to herself for a short time before asking, “Wildfire? Do you think it would be possible to teach spike how to shape his flame? I’m quite curious?”

Wildfire put his hammer aside and began inspecting Spike as any instructor would. “I think I can do that,” he allowed. “It will give me something fun to do on my down time between orders.” Wildfire stroked his chin. “Well no time like the present to begin.” He cleared his throat. “Prepare thyself Spike!” Wildfire proclaimed with a dramatic flare.

“Looks like I don't get any say in this do I?” Spike muttered in resignation. “Oh well, maybe this will be fun?

Hour upon hour passed by as Wildfire instructed spike in the skill of fire shaping. At first Wildfire started him with simple shapes such as circles and squares, and teaching Spike how to dispel such flaming constructs safely.

“Why do I have to dispel my shapes? It doesn’t make sense!” Spike growled in frustration.

“Why indeed?” Wildfire remarked in a sage-like posture. “Now I must show you why it is crucial to maintain and safely dispel your constructs. Spike, I want you to conjure an image from your mind and make it real with your flame.”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to do for the past five hours, and you either tell me to try again or to dispel!” Spike’s irritation and frustration became more and more apparent

“I understand I’ve been a bit difficult, but I need you to learn to do it right before I teach you what fire shaping can really do. And so far for a beginner you show great promise.” Wildfire smiled softly. “Now Spike, I want you to pull this image from something you constantly think about, or desire the most as it is the easiest way to make a workable construct.”

As Spike began to calm down he took in deep breaths as Wildfire had instructed, closed his eyes, and breathed out his trademark green flames. As the flames bellowed they began to twist and fold just as Wildfire’s had, but not as refined.

Twilight had just come back with a tray of snack food for both Wildfire and Spike, yet to her surprise her mouth stood agape. “Why does that look like Rarity? And Why is she naked?! Wildfire what have you been teaching him?” Twilight blurted aloud in sheer embarrassment.

Spike jerked as he heard Twilight’s embarrassed shout, and his concentration was broken. The indistinct flame shape flared, swirled, collapsed inward, and then exploded, the green flames expanding until they covered the entire room.

When the flames died down and everyone could see again, all of their clothes had vanished.

“While not how I intended to demonstrate why constructs have to be dispelled,” Wildfire muttered, doing his best not to let his eyes wander, “thank you for your assistance there, Twilight.”


At that exact moment, Celestia blinked her eyes through the unexpected delivery that landed all over her while on the throne during Day Court. Neither Twilight nor Spike were the sort to play this sort of prank, so she felt something was amiss. Summoning a scroll and quill with her magic, she began to write.


At the sudden realization that all of her clothes were gone, and that she was completely naked, Twilight gave a shriek of both utter terror and embarrassment, quickly trying to cover herself up with her arms as best she could.

Wildfire instinctively turned toward her and then performed the action he tried to avoid earlier as he caught a glance at Twilight’s naked form. His expression became almost wooden as Wildfire’s face began slowly to contort into awkward discomfort.

Twilight then ran, covering herself from the events that had just transpired. There stood Wildfire, bewildered, embarrassed, and left with an very odd sensation clawing at his chest.

Spike snickered. “So, like what you saw?” Spike said as he poked Wildfire teasingly.

“Nomorelessonstodaypleaseleavethankyou!” was the only thing that came out of Wildfire’s mouth as he pushed Spike out of the room to get changed.