• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 12,885 Views, 269 Comments

Misunderstood and Mutated - TheGoldenDragon



Pokemon meets MLP:FIM in a humans acting like villians / displaced story

  • ...
39
 269
 12,885

Ch. 14 Isaac Newton, The One That Always Has The Drop On You

I woke up what would have been stupidly early for most humans and ponies, and went to the race field to watch the night fade into morning. I got one full hour of untainted night sky. I might not have been able to name the constellations but I still saw the beauty and possibility of the starlight and darkness. Looking straight up, I almost didn’t notice Luna appear beside me.

”I really is a shame how few really take the time to watch the stars. Big cities, even in a low technology world like this, drastically reduce the number of visible stars.” I said as a shooting star rocketed past my eyes.

“True, but more ponies find the beauty now than they did.” She nodded, barely in my peripheral vision.

I sighed, ”That’s confirmation bias. Back then, just as many saw the beauty, but just couldn’t enjoy it for as long. It was way more dangerous back then, they had to go inside whether or not they wanted to. You saw what you wanted to back then, and even if you hated it, you wanted to see them as hating your night.”

“The Elements were having similar nightmares, about you.” She tried not to show her anger.

I looked her in the eyes and said flatly, ”I made sure it was nothing that would cause permanent scars, just enough to get them here so I could do a bit of training. Maybe help them understand that they might need a bit more than just the Deus Ex Harmony Canon to fix everything.”

She just nodded in response, “Truly, they do seem to rely on the Elements of Harmony a bit heavily in my opinion. My sister and I only used them for the most dangerous beasts that threatened our ponies.”

”I don’t think I could make them use it less, I just want them to stay alive long enough so that they can use them if needed.” I turned back to the sky.

We sat there in silence for the next hour or so, until Luna said, “Sunrise will begin shortly, I must be off.”

Red light from the east began to melt the cool blues of night as the sun began to climb over the horizon. Rainbow, Applejack, and Fluttershy were the first to show mostly because their routines tended to require waking up early( for Rainbow Dash it was more an occasional choice so it was a fifty fifty shot either way).

By the time the sun finally hurdled the horizon, Twilight and Rarity came stumbling up, still half asleep. Rainbow now anxious to start the training shouted, “Where the hay is Pinkie! She should have been here way before Egghead and Beauty Queen.”

I just shot her a questioning look, ”What do you mean? She was here all night in anticipation.” I then pointed under the bleachers where a sudden loud explosion and burst of confetti shocked Twilight and Rarity fully awake. Immediately from a puff of pink pony shaped smoke Pinkie emerged acting like her blood was ninety percent caffeine, which it likely was.

“Ohmygoshgirlshe’sgonamakeusallgoslomowhilwerunaroundandstuff!” Pinkie said in one breath.

“Wait, you have a time slow spell?” Twilight asked.

I shook my head at her, “No, I can’t do magic, remember. I’ll actually-”

“He’s gonna make us heavier while we exercise. It’s sup-” Rainbow interjected before I clamped her mouth shut with telekinesis.

”As I was saying I’m going to increase the effect of gravity on all of you. This will have a similar effect to runners putting on leg weights while the train. The theory is that when they take off the weights during an actual race they’ll be faster.”

Twilight raised her hoof like it was some type of class. I pointed to her letting her know it was okay to talk. The only reason I shut Rainbow’s mouth was because she interrupted me.

“Why do you keep using gravity as a noun? I remember you used it that way before but I’ve never heard it used that way before.”

Derp! Geocentric solar system, no reason or way to figure out basic gravitational laws when the sun and moon are LITERALLY moved by magic. I rubbed my temples in irritation, ”I forgot that you never really had an Isaac Newton and physics never caught on here because magic. Basically gravity is the attractive force between two objects with mass, it’s why thing fall down… No, not like Magnets, that is Electromagnetism and can be repulsive not just attractive and is a completely different set of equations and is actually a unified theorem, gravity was still having some kinks being worked out last I heard.”

Now Twilight was really intrigued, “Who was this Isaac Newton?”

”Sorry I don’t have time to answer all your questions, but I’ll say this: He developed the basic formula for gravitational force, and his law of movement give him the title ‘Deadliest SOB in Space’” Now Rarity had a question.

“But won't doing that making us heavier also mean that even normal movement could be…” She lowered her voice as if the next words were some kind of tabu, “a workout?”

”Yes, It’s only temporary though. And I would encourage all of you to have some kind of workout routine.” I new she was just doing this to try and get me to make her leave.

Rarity’s face became a grimace and she whined, “But workouts make you sweaty and smelly.”

The joke was on her, now I wanted to make her stay longer, “Well you are a member of the Elements of Harmony, it’s not like you came across threats the could require strength, endurance, and speed.” I let my ‘Seriously’ look linger on her for a few seconds before continuing, ”All of you should at least try to get or stay physically fit for your species, just wake up early do some exercises and then clean up. Most of you do have jobs but you don’t have to do anything until later in the day.”

Some of them were about to protest but then I said, ”Now we’ll just be doing laps at 1.1 times normal gravity and if you vocalize any complaints I will increase it by another increment of 0.1. We will take breaks when I say so.” I then floated down to the track and we all took positions. I wanted to show them that I wouldn’t put them through anything I wouldn’t do to myself so I made sure to not levitate myself during the laps and actually run.

We were only a few yards out when Rarity muttered, “Why do we have to be out this early?”

”Because it’s the coolest part of the day, so it’s either this or before sunset… Also we’re now at 1.2 G’s” I explained without even stopping. The rest of them groaned, to which I instantly responsed, ”1.3”

Once she finished her first lap, Twilight asked in an exasperated tone, “Can we take a break?”

”After the next lap, and we’re now at 1.4.”

At our first rest, Rainbow Dash and I stopped first, she yelled at me, “We shouldn’t be taking a break, let’s keep going.”

”It’s just a quick break for water, and you just brought it up to 1.5 once we start again.” I responded.

Once all the ponies had grabbed a drink and weren’t panting so hard, I sighed before telling them, ”And we’re changing direction, so your workout is a bit more even.”

The rest of the time was about the same, but the complaints were much less frequent. Of course Rarity made sure that I increased the gravity to 1.8 times normal by the end. The only two that didn’t complain were Applejack and Fluttershy, though Fluttershy didn’t because she was too afraid to. Not Rainbow, Applejack, or even Pinkie still had the energy to do much more. I decreased the gravity down to .9 times for them for the rest of their day, and gave them all a warm smile before saying, ”Go clean up, eat a big breakfast and get on with your day.”

Might as well check up with Berry Punch before the lesson with Twilight. As they walked away I teleported to Berry Punch’s home and politely knocked. After a few seconds the door opened to reveal the light pink earth pony.

“Oh, hello Medulla! I wasn’t expecting you today.” The brewer ponies stated.

”I just came to an update on my orchard… And to give you my request for the berries.” I saidm rubbing the back of my head.

“Please come in then.” she held the door open for me and I ducked through.

”I already gave you the recipes that you can use, and I’ll give you one berry of each kind to start out with.” I began placing the berries on a coffee table listing their names as I did so.

She looked at them all nodding her head slightly, “So which ones do you want.”

”You can grow all of them, I could use any and all of them but especially Oran, Enigma, and Sitrus berries. Oh and just give me all the Leppa berries they could be highly addictive and cause magical overload.” I said, pointing to the ones I mentioned to make sure she remembered what they were.

“And I get to keep everything else?”

”Yeah, I’ll even help you experiment with the mixtures. Really the amount you could produce will greatly exceed my needs, just a small portion of everything is all I need but Leppa because they could be dangerous so it’d be best to just let me keep them.”

“I should have a full order for you in a few days. Unless you have something else to do you could tell me a bit more about each berry.”

“Alright,” I said, and began moving the berries into different groups. As I sorted the berries into groups based on their effects, I began to tell her what each group did, starting with the group that included the Mago Berry. ”This group heals, but can cause delirium if the individual healed doesn’t like the flavor, I would suggest using these to accent a drink instead of being the main ingredient.“ Pointing to the others, ”This group will reduce certain types of damage. These will increase certain attributes. These increase completely different attributes, they are stupidly rare but do nothing else. These ones cure certain conditions like burns, paralysis, and being poisoned. And Oran and Sitrus berries will heal minor damage, and Leppa regenerates magic or stamina but can be addictive for ponies.” I also made sure to implant the specific information on each berry in her mind.

She blinked a few times processing the new information, and then Berry Punch responded, “Thanks, I’ll do what I can.”

You’re welcome, and that’s all I can ask. I said before teleporting to the library.

It was still early in the day and Twilight had just finished breakfast, so now was a good time to get the lesson in. Of course my sudden appearance startled her, she was even more startled when we appeared in a blink in Ghastly Gorge.

”I want to get this lesson through so I can clear out my cave and a path to it.” I stated in a somewhat bored tone.

“Okay, but I don’t want you to cut everypony out of your life, everypony need friends.” Twilight said.

I then summoned in one hand a regular Fire Blast and in the other an equally sized Umber Nova. ”Which will do more initial damage?” I asked.

“They both seem to have the same amount of power so I’m not certain, Umber Nova frightens me the most so I’ll go with it.”

I launched them to hit adjacent patches of rock, the crater the Fire Blast left was noticeably larger than the other. “In terms of initial damage Fire Blast is more powerful for any given size, even though Umber Nova is a fusion of Fire Blast and Shadow Ball. This is because Shadow Ball has a lower density than Fire Blast so Umber Nova’s density is diluted. Umber Nova is more dangerous because of it’s secondary effect breaking down matter and using my connection to the Void to send it there through me.”

“Alright, I think I understand what you’re saying, if I can find a way to condense my magical energy while casting a spell it can do more.” She said, partially lost in thought at the concept.

”Exactly, we got a smart one here.” I said and we were now back in the library. ”It’s truly been a pleasure Twilight but I think it be for the best if I don’t live in a population center.” With that I teleported to the mouth of my old cave.

As I arrived at my cave, I sensed that something was sleeping deep within my den. I floated to the back, only to find an adolescent Ursa Minor on the cusp of becoming an Ursa Major sound asleep.

”Wake up you sack of celestial excrement.” I shouted in its mind.

Its eyes fluttered open as it stretched itself awake, “Who you?” It asked in its language, or what could barely be considered one.

”I’m the owner of this cave, so you have two choices; leave or be evicted.” I stated just looking around the cave with a jaded expression.

“I Ursa Major, no can beat Ursa Major!” It roared, before uselessly swiping in my direction.

My response, ”Sorry but you’re wrong on both accounts.” followed by blasting it with Thunder until it started running out of my cave, I made sure to shoot a few more Thunders at its backside before yelling after it, “And STAY OUT!”

Author's Note:

Another chapter down, and a big round of applause to my editor Runic_Soul, he's great to work with and helped me decide on this title.