• Published 10th May 2012
  • 6,087 Views, 93 Comments

The Dark Slayer in Equestria - 0kamaterasu



Vergil has been living in the Demon world for some time now but all that is about to change

  • ...
6
 93
 6,087

Chapter 5: Show and Tell

Chapter 5

Show and Tell
Vergil was awoken by the smell of cooking coming from inside the boutique, reminding him of the previous yearning for food. Even though he had eaten a tree's worth of apples, he quickly regained his hunger, understandable as far as demon and half-demon physiology goes.

After making sure he was properly groomed, Vergil headed downstairs, to the smell of toast and… fried eggs? He definitely wasn’t expecting eggs to be on a pony’s menu.

Then again new world, new rules.

“Good morning, miss Rarity,” Vergil greeted the unicorn as he entered the kitchen.

“And a fantastic morning to you, darling,” Rarity greeted in return with a kind smile. “Breakfast will be ready shortly. Are eggs fine for you to eat?”

Vergil nodded in response. “Humans are omnivores. Eggs are just fine.”

Rarity was a bit frightened at that statement. “Ponies are definitely not something I would eat,” Vergil was quick to reassure. Rainbow Dash had mentioned last night that she had a friend who was a griffin, and knowing this, Vergil assumed eating fish was not frowned upon as long as it was a necessity. “I tend to eat fish, mostly.”

His suspicions turned out to be correct when Rarity relaxed. “Well, that’s a relief. I don’t think anypony would enjoy it if Princess Celestia had to come down and stop you from eating ponies,” she joked.

Rarity and Vergil’s conversation was interrupted by three sets of hooves coming down the stairs. As all Cutie Mark Crusaders came downstairs with growling stomachs, they greeted the other occupants of the room. “Morning Rarity, morning mister Vergil.”

“Good morning, girls! Are you all ready to go to school?”

“Uh-huh,” they replied simultaneously. ”But is breakfast ready?”

“I just finished the eggs, and the first two pieces of toast are finished.”

“Gimme the first plate,” Scootaloo said, already reaching for it with a smile that dropped when the plate was levitated away. “Hey!”

“It’s hardly good table manners to just take a plate of food, Scootaloo,” Rarity chided, “especially when you have a new guest.”

The plate slowly made its way down in front of Vergil, who was sitting back with an amused look on his face.

“Fiiiiine,” Scootaloo grumbled in annoyance as she took her seat, her friends only giggling at her plight.

After everyone had their fill, the girls and Rarity were about to leave, when the older mare turned to Vergil. “Would you like to come with us, darling? The fresh air could do you some good, and I doubt the townsponies will be rude after they warmed up to you at Pinkie Pie’s party.” She left out the fact that she felt bad for the long wait she put him through.

Quick to respond, Vergil replied immediately, “Why not? Besides, it wouldn’t do to have you go off decorating parties while I wait here.”

Rarity giggled. “No, I suppose it wouldn’t.”

All said and done, the quintet left to the Crusaders' school. As they traveled, Vergil noted that Rarity was correct in that most of the ponies no longer stared at him. There were curious glances by some, of course, but most acted normal, some even politely waving at his group.

Fifteen minutes of walking later, the group finally arrived. Rarity turned to Vergil. “I’ve got to go visit Fluttershy. You can head back to the boutique, if you prefer.”

“I’m actually inclined to have a look around this town now that I’m no longer an enigma. Don’t worry, I know the way back.”

Rarity nodded and turned to the three fillies. “Goodbye, girls,” she waved towards them.

“Bye, Rarity!”

As soon as she left, the group was greeted by a purple earth pony, one whom he recalled was at the party last night, a teacher if he remembered correctly. “Good morning, girls,” she cheerfully waved them close.

“Good morning, miss Cheerilee!” They cheerfully replied.

Upon noticing the fourth member of the group, Cheerilee greeted him as well, “Good morning, mister Vergil.”

“Just Vergil will do.”

With a polite nod, Cheerilee turned back to the three fillies. “Did you finish the team project I wanted you to work on?”

At that, the three got nervous, until Applebloom piped up. ”Well uh, ya see, Pinkie Pie had us workin' on his party,” she pointed a hoof in Vergil’s direction, “and you know how Pinkie Pie gets when it comes to parties.”

Cheerilee giggled slightly at this, knowing full well what Applebloom was talking about. “Yes, I suppose that’s a good enough excuse, but I still want it on my desk first thing tomorrow morning, alright girls?”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders breathed a sigh of relief and did a strange swear that involved flapping their hooves and poking their eyes. Cheerilee seemed to enjoy it, while Vergil pased it off as a child's tic.

“Alright, girls, you run along inside and take your seats, I’ll be in shortly.” As the girls left, Cheerilee turned to Vergil, eager to start a conversation with the half devil. “So, how are you enjoying your first true day in Ponyville, Vergil?”

“Truth be told I haven’t done much so far, only traveled with miss Rarity to this school.”

“Do you have any idea where you want to go first?”

“No, I’ve got no idea of layout of this town,” Vergil smirked, “but that only makes it more interesting.”

She giggled. “Well don’t get lost, you don’t want to keep Rarity waiting for you this time.”

Their conversation was cut short by the school bell ringing. “I have to go, but it was nice talking with you, Vergil,” she said with a warm smile.

“Likewise, miss Cheerilee.”

Taking his leave, Vergil marched onward into the town. With Rarity gone, he drew a bit more attention to himself; ponies of all kind stared curiously at Ponyville’s newest resident. He resigned himself to ignoring them, until he arrived in the market square and heard one calling out his name. “Hey Vergil!”

Hearing his name being called out with a southern accent, Vergil turned around to face Applejack and a red earth pony stallion wearing a lazy smile and a harness, sitting behind their cart. “Good morning, miss Applejack.”

“Well good mornin' ta you too, partner,” she replied. "I didn't get to introduce y'all at the party last night 'cus he couldnt come, but this here's my brother Big Macintosh. Big Mac, this is that Vergil feller I was tellin' you about."

Glancing over at the red earth pony, the son of Sparda gave a nod a muttered a quick 'nice to meet you'. In return, the pony nodded as well and replied with a very simple and straightforward 'eeyup'. Applejack laughed at this. "Big Mac here ain't much of a talker."

To strengthen her claims, Big Mac shook his head and said, "Nnope."

As if on the flick of a switch, he turned a stern glare at Applejack, who withered visibly under his gaze for a moment. "Oh come on, Big Mac, please?”

Simply closing his eyes and shaking his head, he replied with a quick 'nope'.

Applejack sighed, a bit angry "Fine, you can do the work today."

The two ponies were interrupted by Vergil clearing his throat. "What exactly is the problem?"

"Big Mac here thinks ah should take a day off 'cus I've been workin' all of last week, but ah'm fine." Applejack sighed again. "What about you? What are you doin' here?"

"Well, I was hoping to get a good look around."

Applejack perked up a bit at this. "Well, in that case, ah'd be happy to show you around Sweet Apple Acres. Granny Smith's been wantin' ta meet you."

"We shouldn't keep her waiting, then. Lead on."

Motioning for him to follow, Applejack led Vergil through the town's streets. Soon, the two were at the entrance to the farm. "This here's been mah family's home for four generations," Applejack announced with no small amount of pride as she walked through the apple orchards. "Mah great grandaddy settled here back when Granny Smith was still a filly."

After listening to Applejack talk about her lineage for a few more minutes, Vergil observed the farmhouse they had reached. Stepping inside, he was greeted by the sight of a rather old looking, green, earth pony, whom he assumed was Granny Smith, sleeping in a rocking chair. "Up and at'em, Granny!” his companion called. “The feller you wanted to meet is here."

After getting up on all four shaky hooves, the old pony moved rather sluggishly, as one of the elderly should, until with a shake of her head, she suddenly jumped up with more vigor than was necessary to surprise the half-breed. "Now yer that young'un that ate a whole tree of them apples!" The old pony seemed to be sizing Vergil up, ending it with a grin. "Ain't no fancy-shmancy city slicker got an appetite like that. That's the appetite of a hard worker, and we here on Sweet Apple Acres treat hard workers like one a' our own.

“Now, with you livin with lil' miss fancy, she probably didn't give you a REAL breakfast." Granny Smith put up a hoof in thought. "Let's see... we got some apple pie, apple fritter, apple danish, apple-"

"It's alright, miss," Vergil interrupted. "I assure you, miss Rarity is keeping me well fed.” Not only that, the sheer amount of dishes involving apples the elder mare had started making him feel sick.

Granny Smith was skeptical. "You sure 'bout that?"

Applejack chuckled a bit and shook her head. "Ya can't exactly force him ta sit down an' eat like you can with us, Granny. Besides that, ah promised to show him around town."

"Oh, alrighty then," Granny Smith waved them off in defeat. As she slowly walked back to her rocking chair, Vergil heard her mumble 'young'uns these days...'

Right outside the farmhouse, one of his hands flew to Yamato as he cursed his previous overly relaxed state. The causer of his surprise was nothing more than the bark of a playful collie, wagging its tail as it came to sniff at his leg. Applejack looked up and rolled her eyes. "Oh, come on, even a small critter like Winona makes ya all jumpy? There ain't nothin' here lookin' to cause trouble for ya, sugarcube, just relax."

Vergil eased his hand off of his handle."My apologies. It's been a natural reaction for most of my life."

She shook her head. "Ah know that where you came from ain't the nicest of places, but if you start goin' all soldier mode everytime somepony makes a loud noise, then yer gonna get a few looks. Now, if ah were Rarity I would tell you to go relax at the spa."

Vergill's eye twitched at that. There was no way in the seven layers of hell was he going to a spa.

"Lucky fer you, ah ain't Rarity. You can relax yerself helpin' me harvest the apples."

Vergil looked at the numerous apple trees before him, and then answered "I'll take it. I haven't gotten much physical exercise recently anyway." Keeping watch and fighting constantly in the underworld did take a physical toll, but with next to no opportunities to sleep properly, it was impossible at best to call it proper exercise.

Applejack beamed up at him. "That's the spirit!"

Hanging his coat on the outer fence, Vergil observed how Applejack would buck a tree and get the apples to fall out. It looked simple, so after watching her a couple times, he stepped up and slammed his knee at about the same spot, with about the same strength Applejack seemed to be using. He was rewarded with a shower of fruit and a congratulatory grin from the mare.

After about an hour, Applejack spoke up, "See? There ain't nothin ta worry about around these parts."

Fate decided to correct her with the screams coming from Ponyville.

A/N
I know you guys are probably like, "OMGWTF HE ACTUALLY UPDATED! WHERE DAFUQ HAVE YOU BEEN? I unfortunately couldnt find the motivation to sit down and write, but come sleet or hail or snow, I will always at least update every month, I know it sucks, but then again so do I.

on a separate note, remember how i said i wouldn't pair Vergil with anypony? well yeah that doesn't mean I wont have anypony have a crush or the like on Vergil, I'm thinking about doing a heat chapter for teh lulz.