• Published 10th May 2012
  • 6,086 Views, 93 Comments

The Dark Slayer in Equestria - 0kamaterasu



Vergil has been living in the Demon world for some time now but all that is about to change

  • ...
6
 93
 6,086

Chapter 1: Discovery

Chapter 1

Discovery
"Ugghh..." Vergil groaned as his consciousness slowly returned.

Looking around, he recognized he was in what appeared to be in a forest clearing, the full moon shining down upon him. "Where am I? I was nowhere near any forests before." Could he have been taken somewhere? No, if a demon really did try to sneak up on him in his sleep, he would have woken up.

The son of Sparda's thoughts ran wild as he tried to make sense of the situation, until all of a sudden, Vergil's memories came back to him in a rush. He remembered killing the lesser demons, musing on his situation in the Demon World, leaving his cave, fighting the Hell Vanguard, and finally and most importantly, being sucked through the portal.

Vergil knew he was no longer in the Demon World. Hell, he wasn't even in the Human World. In the Demon World, Vergil could literally feel the demonic energy around him; weak humans would suffocate from the diluted power. Even in the Human World, Vergil could still sense demonic energy waiting to be set free. He felt no demonic influence in this world at all other than his own.

Taking his search further, he decided to start looking in the actual forest, rather than just siting in the large meadow he was in. Just as the half devil got to the treeline edge, he heard a noise from behind. Quickly turning to face whatever the noise was, Vergil was surprised to see another portal, a much smaller one but a portal nonetheless.

What surprised the blue-coated swordsman the most, though, was what came out of it. As soon as Vergil locked his eyes on the vortex, it ejected something he hadn't expected to see in a long time, none other than a dark forged okatana. No fragments or pieces scattered about, the blade completely restored from its previous shattered state. There lay one of Sparda's treasured swords, Yamato.

He was bewildered. How in the name of God and Lucifer was his sword here? Shouldn't it be broken and scattered across the Human World? Vergil cautiously approached, wary of any tricks, and to his pleased surprise, none came. Carefully lifting his blade from off the ground, Vergil felt a sense of nostalgia. He hadn't used the blade in its original form in years.
Hearing the snarls of what sounded like wolves, Vergil turned around to find a pack of the animals in question. As if to further bemuse Mundus' former slave, they were made up of what looked like branches and twigs. It wasn't enough to still his blade, though – he had seen, commanded and slain odder creatures.

"Let's see if I can wield this as I once could," he remarked with a smirk right as the first wolf lunged at him. Quickly unsheathing his sword, Vergil slashed at the timber wolf. It landed behind him, staying on all fours before collapsing in two, sliced perfectly down the middle. Three more approached and quickly lunged at him from three different angles, only to bump into each other as their presumed victim tricked away.

Taking the opportunity, Vergil charged his energy into his weapon, and quickly unsheathing Yamato, he released it. The space around the timber wolves twisted within a perfect sphere, cutting all three down into piles of wood. Two of the wolves remained, snarling and barring their wooden teeth, running for the half-devil while his back was turned. He turned around to face the remaining timber wolves, grabbed the hilt of his sword and dashed head on into the charge. Behind him, much like his first victim, the duo collapsed into twigs and branches, all sliced cleanly but haphazardly.

"I've still got it, apparently," Vergil remarked, unable to rub off the smirk still present on his face. 'Dante must have rubbed off on me,' he thought with a small chuckle.

Finally tanking note of how tired he felt, Vergil climbed up to a fairly thick set of tree branches, setting his beloved blade down next to him, and began to think. How had Yamato come to be here with him? Where was here exactly? What were those strange wolves that he fought? Were there any more creatures like that in this forest? Questions, questions and more questions circled his head, pushed away in favor of sleep after a few long minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waking up to the sunlight shining in his face, Vergil turned his head to find Yamato still siting on top of the branches beside him. A smile worked its way onto his face as he lifted the blade. He didn't know how it had happened, but somehow Yamato followed him to this world, and he was content that it wasn't an illusion made up by wishful thinking. He was still curious as to how, but that was a question whose answer could come later.

Hearing some sort of creature approaching the clearing and remembering how he had been first received in this world, he grabbed his daito, ready to fight at a moment's notice. Peeking out through the leaves that concealed him, Vergil saw a cloaked, four legged figure. He scoffed under his breath. The idea of someone making clothes for a pet had always been absurd in his mind.

The creature casually lifted what looked like a hoof to lower its hood, revealing itself to be a four-foot-tall zebra with a Mohawk for a mane. Vergil watched as it walked over to a patch of yellow flowers, and began to speak in what sounded like an African accent. "A patch of sun daises, how lovely, in the darkness this will surely help me see."

Vergil looked on in slight bewilderment as the – apparently female – zebra continued to do things that no ordinary zebra should ever do in his opinion, picking up the now dubbed sun daises with a hoof that seemed to defy gravity, and undoing the latch on the saddle bag on her back with the other, despite having no visible digits. The half-human heard the zebra mutter, "Those noises last night gave me quite the fright, though now everything seems to be alright," while taking one last look around the clearing, and with a shrug, begin to walk off.

Deeming this zebra to be too strange an opportunity to pass up, Vergil decided to follow her. Sticking to the shadows, he stealthily followed, and after about ten minutes, they arrived at a small shack, which he guessed to be her home.
'Well, now I have a decision to make. I can remain hidden, explore the rest of this place and return later, or I could reveal myself and gather some information.'

Deciding to try his luck with the zebra, Vergil rapped his knuckles on the shack door, his face remaining steeled as the door slowly opened.

The knock on her door led Zecora to find one of the strangest guests she had ever met. The figure was tall, taller than Princess Celestia even, clad in a regal blue coat, with hair as white as snow. A sword hung in his left foreleg, apparently a stubby claw of sorts.

Zecora was taken aback somewhat by the creature's appearance, but even so, she assumed that the entity at her door was civilized; after all, what wild beast would wear expensive clothing and knock so gently before entering? "Greetings, my friend in blue, how can I help you?"

"I have a couple questions,” the being – a male, she presumed, if his voice was any indication of gender – replied, swinging his arm in a wide arc, as if showcasing the outside of her hut. “As you could probably figure out, I am a little lost.”
"Of course, come in and sit with me,” she replied with a smile. “Would you care for a cup of tea?"
"Please, and thank you."

Lowering his head to fit through the doorway, Vergil walked into the shack and looked around. The masks on the wall seemed to stare at him as his eyes swept the surroundings, taking note of a cauldron that sat in the middle of the shack, an unknown liquid bubbling inside of it.

Casually taking a seat, he waited as the zebra returned with two hot cups of tea. "Zecora is my name, I'm a zebra through and through. Now I must ask, who and what are you?” the newly dubbed Zecora asked, a politely curious look in her face.
"My name is Vergil, and as for what I am, I'm what is known as a human." Although Vergil almost itched to answer 'half-human half-demon', the general outlook on demons in his natural world was fairly negative, and he didn't want to risk getting persecuted in an unknown realm, especially when he was not sure whether or not it might harbor an actual threat to him. Underestimating unknown settings was Dante's bread and butter, not his.

"I see, and I don't mean to offend, but where did you come from, my human friend?" she continued mildly, taking a sip of her beverage.
"I was taken through a portal in my world to this one," he replied.
Zecora accepted the explanation without further questioning, something that didn't escape Vergil's mind. "Well my dear Vergil, ask the questions that you need, and my answers you shall heed."
"Where am I?"
"You are in the land of Equestria, the Everfree Forest, to be precise. If you're looking for towns, go to Ponyville, the populace is fairly nice."
His eye twitched a little at the name before he forced the responsible muscles to stop. 'Ridiculous.' "Are zebras not the citizens of Equestria?"

"No, I am a stranger in these lands, I come from a chain of far off islands."
A world that held sentient ponies. Again, Vergil found his eye twitching slightly. Oh, if Dante could see him now. He would probably say something along the lines of, 'So, dude, how is it living in an eight year old's fantasy land?' At least they weren't intolerable children, spouting off such nonsense as the 'magic of friendship' if Zecora was any indication.

"If you want information about the magic that brought you here, head down the path, as Ponyville is quite near. Look for the pony named Twilight Sparkle in the library, you can't miss the great tree. She can help you more than I, she's a magical prodigy."

Vergil nodded, sipping down the rest of his own tea. "Thank you, Zecora."
"It was no trouble at all, my tall friend. Watch your step when you leave the forest, the tree roots tend to bend."
With a nod, the son of Sparda left Zecora's shack and started walking down the path he had been directed to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew, thanks to all the positive feedback I got with the first chapter, it inspired me to write this one right away. Zecora was pretty difficult to write actually.
(on a side note, i just got a huge tub of ice cream and cookies, ME GUSTA.)
Give a round of applause for Jack Kellar, my new beta reader. *Claps in a socially awkward manner*
Leave your thoughts in the comments below, as always
~Greet the new day