• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 3,579 Views, 155 Comments

Opposites Attract - BronyGuy



A tale of Smarts and Dumbs and one's love for the other.My 1st fanfic so dont expect a 10 star story

  • ...
14
 155
 3,579

Misunderstanding

Tears. Nothing but tears streaming my face. I know they’re not real, I mean…. I hope they aren’t real. No, no why would they be real? There’s not logical reason they’d be real. After all I was happy, right? Wait… what could have possibly made the spell go awry? Suddenly I remembered a small little thought tugging in the back of my mind, a thought about Derpy Hooves leaving me. So that’s what must have caused the spell to go wrong, if I want to become happier than ever, I have to be purely happy. I didn’t know what to make of it; I guess it does make some sense when you think about it. I finally made it home where I jumped straight into the shelf upon shelf of books looking for the right spell book that contained the information I needed. After searching through three books I finally found it, “The Joy Spell,” I read aloud, “Hm… looks rather easy to fix. I’ll get this done in no time!” I said as my horn illuminated the dimly lit library.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Derpy just couldn’t help but stare at Twilight’s flank. Her magnificent mane flowing as she sprinted home. The only part that pulled at her heart was the distant wail of Twilight’s crying. Even though she knew it wasn’t real, it still killed her to hear the love of her life crying. As she turned to depart to her house, she saw a pale earth pony practically charging at her. Derpy panicked and quickly shook her head causing her eyes to go back to their original cross-eyed position.

“YOU!” Rarity shouts at the top of her lungs, “What to you think you’re doing?!” Rarity yells.

“Duh… what do you mean, I… duh… I di’n’t do anything wrong!”

Rarity took a step closer to Derpy, “You mongrel you can’t possibly think I didn’t see what you just said back there, how DARE you hurt what’s precious to me!”

This caused Derpy to take a step forward, “What do you mean your precious?” Derpy hadn’t realized, but her eyes had instantly focused on Rarity and her speaking habit was back.

Rarity easily noticed this, “Derpy… what happened to your voice? And… your eyes…?”

Derpy panics, and shakes her head again putting her eyes back to cross-eyed, “Duh… nothing, what matters is… um… why are you acting this way?”

Rarity regained her rage once the question was asked, “I saw what you did to Twilight… I can’t believe of all ponies you’d be the one to hurt her…” Rarity gave a small strangled sound. “…You… seemed so gentle, why would you do such a thing to her?” Rarity flushed with rage as the thought of Twilight crying in the distance came to mind.

Derpy is shocked that Rarity would even think like that, “B-but… uh… I di—“

“SILENCE!” Rarity screams, “I won’t stand for your excuses!” She was almost tearing up, from anger and sadness as well that Derpy... of all ponies... Derpy.

Derpy tried to reason with her, but Rarity squared up on her. She looked Derpy right in the eye, “Get out.” She says it with the utmost serenity but her eyes show pure hatred spewing from her very soul.

“Uh… but we’re already outside,” Derpy said with a worried look.

Rarity almost lost it, but sheer teachings of etiquette she received in her filly years stopped her from attacking Derpy. “Get. Out. Of. Ponyville.”

“But… duh… why?” Derpy said delaying the inevitable.

“So help me Celestia if you don’t depart from Ponyville I will end you.”

This practically killed Derpy knowing that a close friend of Twilight’s could be so… evil. But there was something off about her... what was it? Suddenly an image of her father appeared and before she knew it she was standing in front of her own Dad… that evil… evil creature.

He licked his muzzle, “You look delicious…”

Derpy yelped and quickly gave on flap of her wings, sprawled into the air, gave another gust and was off soaring across the sky with as much speed as she could. She doesn’t know where she’s going, probably somewhere toward Everfree forest as she saw it in her field of vision, but that was beside the point. ‘Just fly, just fly, just fly, get away from it, fly fly FLY!!!’ Derpy’s mind is racing at this point, ‘what… how did he get here.’ A thought terrified her, ‘is… IS HE FOLLOWING ME?!” She checked behind her, Nopony following. But she wasn’t convinced, she stopped, did a 360 slow spin making sure that she wasn’t going to be flanked in any way. When she was slightly at ease, she kept flying alert for when that monster would attack her.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Rarity watches as that disgusting beast flies away, still staring at her as if her hatred for that pony would somehow travel through the air, and into Derpy’s heart. When she can’t see that, thing anymore she begins her walk to Twilight’s library. When she arrives she opens the door to see Twilight reading, her tear streaks obvious on her face. Rarity walked right up to her and snuggled her, “There, there, everything is going to be alright. No need to cry, for I am here now in your time of need.”

“Wait, what are you talking about?” Twilight asks while trying meekly to break from the hug.

“It’s alright now, I saw what Derpy did to you. That horrible horse doesn’t deserve you,” Rarity told Twilight how awful Derpy had been to her, and Twilight actually… believed it. Maybe it was the spell’s after effect still coursing through her body, but something was nagging at her inside that what she was telling was the honest truth. Twilight couldn’t help it she started cry again, this news was just too much for her to bear. Twilight sobs in Rarity’s forelegs, stricken with grief for a long time. After her last little bits of sadness she’s finally able to control herself, she wiggled herself from Rarity’s hold.

‘I… I should go find her…. maybe she’s back at her house. Yeah, yeah we can go talk about all this and set things right.’ Twilight got up and walked out of her door.

“Where are you going, dear?” Rarity called back.

“I’m going to go back to Derpy’s house, I want to set things right with her and I,” Twilight says. Rarity tries to tell her more, but Twilight’s already out of earshot.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I walk through Ponyville, not really paying much attention to anything in particular. I wondered off into my thoughts, thinking about many things having to do with Derpy. ‘Why did Rarity say all those things about Derpy? She wasn’t bad at all; in fact she’s a caring mother and a great mare to be around. And did she really leave…’ I gave a cough, ‘… leave me? No she wouldn’t do that…. r-right?’ I stopped too shock to move, ‘Maybe she did leave me… that would explain why she hadn’t come back looking for me.’ Before I knew it, I was already sobbing. ‘Maybe she’s bored of me… doesn’t want to spend time with me.’ I finally got to Derpy’s house, and knocks on the door. Nothing. I knock again. Still nothing. I looked around the house, and found that her lights were off, ‘oh… she’s probably sleeping,’ I thought. ‘I guess I’ll have to talk to her tomorrow. I begin my walk home; slowly reassuring myself that everything will be okay.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Derpy kept flying. And flying. And flying. She didn't know how long, or how far she flew. All she can register is the pain in her wings from the excursion of flying for so long. She stopped and finally landed, thinking of Twilight and her beautiful face. That face, the only thing she holds dear to her. She decides to turn back, ‘She’s probably worried sick about me… hopefully Twilight saw that Rarity was only telling lie about her. But what if…. what if Twilight believes her? No… no that can’t happen she’s too smart for that.’ But something still nagged at her. What Rarity had said to her, it still rang in her head. ‘I will end you…’ She couldn’t go back, and she knew it. ‘Maybe… if I can get a lawyer— a-an attorney I can take Rarity to court and… and…’ Derpy was tearing up. She didn’t want it to end that way. ‘There’s got to be a way that we can all dwell in peace. I don’t want to separate such a good friendship.’ The thought of Dinky came to mind, and what may happen to her own flesh and blood. She was stricken with grief crying her eyes out, “Don’t worry Derpy, I’m sure that everything will be okay for her. Perhaps Twilight will find her and… and take care of her.’ She pictured a motherly looking Twilight rocking a small looking Dinky in her forelegs. And suddenly, the world seemed a little better. “So be it, I’ll find a lawyer and take Rarity to court!” Derpy yells aloud with a jump.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Rarity watches as Twilight leaves to find Derpy, leaving her to her thoughts. ‘Why… why would Derpy ever hurt her? She’s so kind and caring.’ The thought of Derpy came to her mind, and she flushed with anger, ‘You… of all ponies you had to be that one…’ She gets up and looks around for something to do while she waits for Twilight to return. Spotting nothing but a few pins and papers, and books galore. She finally spotted an open letter, probably for Celestia. ‘You know, I’ve never read one of her letters…’ Rarity thought as she walked towards it.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that friendship can come from even the most sour of souls, and sometimes it’s good to give them a help before you put yourself in front of others.

The writing became a little harder to read, as if it was applied with extreme care so others can’t read it.

And I also learned about love. It’s a glorious source of happiness that extends to the outer reaches of everypony’s heart. I finally found my source of love, a beautiful mare named Derpy Hooves I think. I’m not really sure about her name, but I long for her to be with me. I think… I think I’m in love with her. I want to ask her on a date… maybe to a nice restaurant but I don’t want to come off all snooty. What do you think? I know this is a broad question to ask, so if you don’t have any answer I don’t mind at all.

Your faithful student Twilight Sparkle.

“I can’t believe it.” Rarity says as she gently puts the scroll down. “So she’s had feelings for Derpy all along…. probably since… since…” Tears streamed down Rarity’s face as she walked towards Twilight’s sofa. She sits down and thinks about whether or not to tell Twilight the truth.

When Twilight finally arrived she asked, “Well she’s probably just sleep at her place. Do you know think she might have gone anywhere in particular?”

Rarity looked down at the floorboards, too ashamed to make eye contact with the purple mare. Just say it! Tell her the truth it’s the least she deserves…. Sound hadn’t escaped her muzzle yet, making Twilight grow worried.

“Um… Rarity is everything ok? Do you know where Derpy might be?” Twilight restated.

“I… I don’t know…”