• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 4,205 Views, 186 Comments

A Blueblood for Everyone - Macgyver644200



Who is Blueblood? He acted like a jerk during the Gala, but why? What is he really like? Which unlucky mare would he be ideally suited to?

  • ...
6
 186
 4,205

Blueblood the Mercurial - Twilight Sparkle

Prince Blueblood scowled onto the crowd at the Opening of Parliament Social, cursing his aunt. He had hoped, after the fool he'd made of himself at the Grand Galoping Gala, that he would be excluded from having to attend these kinds of events. He was, for a few months. However, due to either his aunt's forgiveness or her perverse sense of punishment, he had been pressured to attend this one and 'encouraged' to mingle. Even normally, that would have been laughable, but surrounded by such a variety of utter idiots (he knew, he had to proofread their bills), it was impossible.

Thus, he searched the sea of lobbyists, politicians, and aides. He'd given up on seeing his friends in the crowd and just focused on every single mare he could find. One of those mares was looking to romance him to support some stupid cause of hers, he'd bet on it. Once he found her, then the game would begin. His mission: to annoy her as much as possible for as long as possible, bonus points if the 'date' lasted past midnight or if he could do something absolutely outrageous to her. No-one got hurt, since the idiot trying to romance favors would simply have a long night dreaming of doing him grevious bodily harm, then simply move on to find somepony else to beg favors from. He didn't get anypony else these days.

He stopped searching. One time had been different. His target had actually been legitimately interested in him. It wasn't the most flattering of desires, but it had been sincere. Furthermore, she was a friend of a... now he didn't really know. But her letter chewing him out had hurt more than he thought it would, and he was very much missing her letters. It'd been so long since he'd enjoyed a conversation, almost as long as since he'd stopped taking his...

Blueblood shook his head vigorously. 'It's almost over,' he thought to himself. 'I can control it. I don't need help.'

"I heard that Princess Twilight is here."

Blueblood's ears perked up and his head whipped around. Daisinell, right-wing MP from Steeplechase Hill, was walking by with her aide, Blueblood Didn't Care. "Well," he said, "I don't think she's here, exactly. One of the servants said that he'd seen her headed up one of the towers with a telescope."

Daisinell huffed. "Nuts. It would've been excellent to have support from an actual royal." She was glared right at Blueblood as she said this, and he glared back at her. Then she turned back to her aide, smiling. "Ah, well, maybe next time. C'mon, you've really got to try Quiche Lorraine the way the royal cooks do it."

Blueblood ignored the two as they walked off; he was thinking.

'You'll be wasting your time. After your last letter, there's no way she'd ever forgive you. Besides, why would she want to talk to you? She has friends. She even has a boyfriend. Why does she need you?'

Blueblood frowned, glaring off into nothingness. Then he got up and walked off.

'I need her.'

<*>

It had taken him thirty minutes to find a servant he was certain wouldn't rat him out to Celestia and another twenty to get there, but he finally made it to the right tower. He opened the door to the balcony slowly and silently. Sure enough, there she was, toiling over a telescope and happily humming something to herself. Blueblood stood in the doorway, swallowed, counted to ten, and forced himself to walk over to her. Finally, he cleared his throat. "Hello, Twilight."

Twilight looked up, and she frowned at him. "Blueblood," she said in a measured tone. "It's been a long time."

Blueblood forced himself to speak. "Twilight, I'm extremely sorry about what I did at the Gala, and what I told you afterwards."

Twilight's face didn't change. "You really mean that?"

"I said it, why wouldn't I mean it?"

Twilight sighed. "Blueblood, you've changed over the past few months. I can understand being mad at Rarity, but what you said to me was just..." Twilight took a deep breath. "Blueblood, you're a pain in the flank when you're sane, but you're not cruel."

"I made a mistake. I'm sorry."

"A mistake? Blueblood, have you forgotten what you wrote? Your letter was one of the nastiest things I've ever read. It actually broke my heart to read, and I tore it up before Spike could read it. That's not a mistake, that's a sign you've relapsed. I just wanted to help you. I still do, but I can't just make you get better. I need to be sure you'll actually accept my help."

Blueblood took a deep breath before he responded. "I know."

Twilight looked into his eyes for a few seconds, then scowled at him. "You're still not taking your medication, are you?"

Blueblood looked away from her with barely disguised annoyance.

Twilight groaned. "Blueblood, you remember the months leading up to your coronation. You got snappy and paranoid because you had depression. You had depression because your brain was reabsorbing serotonin too quickly, and that happens to you because you aren't taking your medication!"

Blueblood scowled at her. "Well neither are you."

"Yes, I am," she told him.

"I'm not stupid, Twilight," Blueblood growled. "I remember the Smarty Pants incident. I wrote an amicus curiae for it."

"Then you should remember that I was ordered to go back on my medication," Twilight snapped, "and I'm still on it, thank you very much! Just like you should be!"

"Oh, like does you any good!" Blueblood shouted. "Kidnapping pets, causing riots, endangering my little brother, oh yes, your medication has helped you sooo much! Or maybe that's just you while you're sane, an idiot with flashy magic who got lucky!"

Blueblood glared at Twilight for several long seconds, teeth bared in a snarl. Twilight glared back at him, but she had backed away from him, silent. They spent several moments like this, tension building between them.

Then Blueblood's words sunk into his mind. Shame washed his anger away, leaving only emptiness behind. He opened his mouth, but he choked on his words as one thought played in his mind. "I'm sorry," Blueblood mumbled. "I thought... I'll just leave you be." He turned around and walked towards the door, tears starting to run down his face. A few steps away from it, though, he heard a pop and he bumped into something.

"I won't say 'I told you so'."

Blueblood turned away from Twilight's voice. "You're not stupid for overestimating yourself and you're not a horrible pony for what happened while you were off it. You're one of the smartest ponies I know, and one of my closest friends. I forgive you, and I promise I'll do my very best not to abandon you as long as you're trying when you can."

There was a soft poof, and Blueblood pulled away from the tissue trying to mop up his tears. After a moment, Twilight poofed it away. "You said that, Blueblood," she said, " to me, right after the Smarty Pants incident, while you weren't depressed. You support me, so let me support you. Just tell me what you want, and I'll do what I can."

Blueblood turned back to face her, looking into her eyes. But then he sighed and closed his eyes. Twilight walked over to the telescope. "Nice night," Twilight said. "I'm hoping it stays that way for the weekend."

"It probably will," Blueblood said, not turning to face Twilight. "If not, there's always next year."

Twilight looked over at Blueblood. "Are we talking about the same thing?" she asked.

"Well, I assume we're talking about the meteor shower this Saturday," Blueblood said. "Otherwise, we'd probably be talking about the transit of Jupiter by Mars on Sunday, which is considerably more rare."

Twilight stared at him. "...that's right. I didn't know you'd taken up astronomy."

"I needed a hobby." Blueblood frowned as he walked over to the balcony, looking up at the sky. "Everything else I read about reminded me of my job and those idiots in Parliament. I can't believe after the 'vaccinations cause autism' debacle, the left wing still has the gall to call the right anti-reason. It's like Discord, old Discord, calling Sombra a menace to society."

Twilight frowned a bit, but relented quickly and got back to the telescope. "Yeah, I don't think I thank you and your family enough for dealing with national policy. Saving the world is hard enough."

Blueblood nodded. "I imagine it is, especially given there are really only a hoof-full ponies to talk to about it."

"Yeah."

Twilight kept checking the telescope and Blueblood looked over at her. After a few moments, Twilight looked over at him, and he quickly turned away. She frowned at him, then went back to work on the telescope, leaving Blueblood to his thoughts. Then he turned back to her. "Twilight," he asked, "have you ever felt... not fully satisfied with a conversation? Like you're talking to a friend about a subject you both know and like, but you're dreading when the conversation will turn from that subject to something they don't know anything about and you're just... left hanging."

Twilight shrugged. "Sometimes, but that's usually a time to bring it up with friend that shares said interest."

Blueblood sighed. "If you have them. Those of mine who haven't moved away, I've fallen out of touch with, for one reason or another. I've been so busy with my princely duties, I've become just as bad as y-" He stopped himself.

"That's alright," Twilight said. "I was pretty bad in my heyday." She turned back to Blueblood. "Although that makes me wonder, how much work do you have?" she asked.

Blueblood put an itch that just sprouted up out of his mind. "Well, I'm part of a team, but I look over most of the bills and I oversee the running of Parliament. Between those two tasks, I'm kept very busy."

Twilight looked into Blueblood's eyes. "And just out of curiosity, are there enough ponies on that team to take up enough work that you can have something like a social life without overworking them?"

Blueblood fought the urge to scratch the itch on his neck. "Well, I don't-"

Twilight put her hoof up. "Could they, or couldn't they?"

Blueblood turned away. "Yes, they could."

"Sooooo, why don't they?"

Blueblood frowned. "Because I don't want them to."

"Why not?"

Blueblood didn't answer. Instead, he looked out over the city of Canterlot. "Is it because you don't think other ponies are smart enough for you to hang out with?" Twilight asked.

"It's not that I think they're stupid," he said. "It's, well..." he turned back to Twilight, "How do you do it? Being in a group of friends where you're the smartest person there by far? I don't mean how you can be their friend-"

"I know what you mean," Twilight said. "And I know what you're talking about. Yeah, it can get pretty lonely sometimes. Your letters actually helped a lot with that."

"Yes, but it's not the same thing as speaking in person." Blueblood sighed. "Maybe I'm just putting too much emphasis on intelligence. I just hate being the only person in my IQ range in my social circle. I can't even imagine having a girlfriend who's not able to keep up with me, as much as I want to find somepony, and believe me, I do."

Then Blueblood looked over at Twilight. As it lasted longer, Twilight grew uncomfortable. "Got something on your mind?" she asked.

Blueblood blushed and turned away. "Sorry. I just... how do you and Flash keep a relationship going?"

Twilight frowned and looked out on the city. "We don't," she said. "We broke up a month ago. We realized we were from two different worlds, started thinking about the future, one thing led to another, and then it got awkward."

Blueblood frowned. "I'm sorry," he said.

"It's alright. I've accepted that we're not together anymore, I've just gotta' deal with the fallout."

Twilight laid her head on the balcony railing with a sad sigh. Blueblood raised a foreleg and reached towards Twilight, but he stopped, letting it hang in the air. Then Twilight moved next to him and he let his leg drop over her. Twilight didn't cry, but Blueblood could feel her sadness. The two looked out on the city for a long moment, both silent.

Finally, Blueblood got an idea. "Twilight," he asked, "how much more time are you spending in Canterlot?"

"Just the weekend," Twilight said.

"Well," Blueblood pulled back, "would you like to have lunch with me on Saturday, like we used to when you still lived here?"

Twilight looked over at him. He was gently smiling at her. "The original place has closed,"he continued, "but there's a new restaurant that serves high-class versions of common food. It's actually very delicious."

Twilight pursed her lips and hummed to herself. She gave no answer "I'll be on my medication," Blueblood promised, "although I don't know how much good that will do, given how long it takes to work. Besides, you need something to take your mind off of things. Who knows, a pretty mare like yourself could probably find a new special somepony."

"Blueblood," Twilight said, "I just got out of a relationship."

Blueblood shrugged. "Friendship then, unless you decide to take it in a different direction at some point down the line. Just focus on enjoying yourself."

"Blueblood?" Twilight asked, "are you asking me out on a date?"

Blueblood's eyes went wide. "Oh, no!" he said. "Not unless you wanted to, that is. Besides," he shifted on his hooves, "while you are a dear friend of mine and a wonderful mare, I'm not quite sure whether I'm really interested in you in that way or if I'm just trying to find someone good before they're all gone regardless of if they're right for me. I'm perfectly happy with being friends if that's what you want."

Twilight was silent for several moments. When Blueblood opened his mouth to speak, she stopped him and hummed some more. Eventually, she shrugged with a smile. "Well, I'm OK with hanging out with a friend," she told him, "but I only date nice guys."

Blueblood nodded. "I can do that." He started to slump. "Unless all this happens again."

"It won't," Twilight told him with a pat on the shoulder. "I'll make sure of that, and so will you. What's the name of the restaurant?"

Blueblood smiled. "The Laughing Brothers. There's no reservation requirement, so feel free to just come and find me when you get there."

Twilight nodded. "Got it."

"Good." Blueblood turned for the door. "Well, I'd better head downstairs before Aunt Celestia notices I'm gone. I'll see you on Saturday." Blueblood was just about to open the door, but stopped. "Oh, Twilight?"

"Yeah?"

Blueblood took a breath. "I never got to tell you this, but you make a good princess. Aunt Celestia chose well."

Twilight smiled. "Thanks."

Author's Note:

OK, I have edited the earlier reference. It is now applicable. If you want to have political discourse, please use notes where possible.

So, this is it! My sequel project to The Early Life of Blueblood! This isn't in canon with that, except maybe this first chapter, if you like. If not, or if you haven't read my other story, then this can certainly stand on its own.

But, yeah, this is prettymuch how it's going to be for all of the following stories: alternative character interpretations + romantic pairing. Like a shippy, less forgiving version of Blueblood's Just Zis Guy, You Know, but hopefully without coming off as a rip-off.

Credit to The Great Derpsby for inspiring me to do this.