• Published 24th Feb 2015
  • 3,245 Views, 97 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Embodiment of Light - Woomod



Sunset Shimmer has tasted the rainbow, and returns home.

  • ...
13
 97
 3,245

Chapter 2 - The Fool and The Emperor

“What are you two talking about?” Sunset asked startled

A mirror was held in Sunset’s face in Twilight’s purple magical aura, there on her forehead was her cutie mark.

“...Wha?”

“Your hooves too.” Twilight said

Sunset held up her hooves. Each held a two toned sun on it as well.

“Huh, that’s different. All of them?”

“Yes all of them.” Twilight stated. “It’s like the rainbow power transformation we had to use to defeat Tirek and got me this castle...but that was temporary, and this lacks the really gaudy hair stuff.” Twilight put her hoof to her chin.

“SWEET CELESTIA DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?” Twilight shouted excitedly, startling both Sunset and Celectia, “I CAN ACTUALLY STUDY THE RAINBOW POWER MODE NOW! OH JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!”

Celestia held up a hoof.

“Calm down Twilight,” Celesita said, “Sunset is your friend, not an experiment, and is just getting resettled back home besides.”

“I’ve experimented on Pinkie…” Twilight stated bluntly

“Ok Twilight, That’s creepy.” Sunset scrunched her nose, memories of a much darker Twilight coming to mind.

Celestia took Sunset in her wing.

“Twilight,” she said, “we don’t know if this is related to the ‘Rainbow Power’ phenomenon or not. It could just be a side effect of years of magical build up.”

“That’s even more reason we need to look into it, Princess!” Twilight said.

Celestia began to walk covering sunset with her wing protectively.

“I will be escorting Sunset to her room now Twilight,” Celestia stated with a tone of finality, “we have much to get caught up on. I haven’t gotten as much of a chance to speak with her over the last few years as you have.”
And with that Celestia and Sunset left Twilight alone with her thoughts. The wheels started turning in her mind, rather rapidly, but turning, things had happened quickly it took her a moment to process the realization.

“Wait...Waaait….Sunset called Princess Celestia Mom…” Twilight promptly fainted.




“You're going to ask me about this aren’t you...Mom.” Sunset sighed.

“Heavens no,” Celestia said smiling, “you’re my daughter and i haven’t seen you in a long time. It may have only been about 3 to your perspective but to me it’s been 25.”

“I’m sorry.” Sunset blurted out, “I should have listened to you. I should have ignored that mirror. I should have…I should have been the perfect princess you wanted me to be.”

“Sunset, my little sun,” Celestia stopped holding the young unicorns face in her hoof, “While losing you hurt me deeply, as well as your mistakes, your round-about path has brought you back to me. Right now that is all that matters.”

“Of course.” Sunset rolled her eyes. “Facade, off.”

Celestia frowned as she resumed walking.

“Sunset, I’ve been worried sick about you for 25 years. You betrayed my trust, yes. I was hurt in a way I only ever hurt once before, yes. But it has been 25 years, and you have come back to me with barely any of the little time I have to spend with my daughter wasted on your misadventures. 25 years is nothing to waste, and everything to lose. I am truly, honestly, overjoyed to have you back with so little lost.”

“They weren’t wasted.” Sunset stated bluntly “I found the friends you always told me to find.”

Celestia sighed.

“You borrowed Twilight’s friends, the other elements-”

“SHUT UP! They are MY friends.” Sunset shouted at Celestia. “Twilight may have helped me find them, and they may be similar to their counterparts, but they are NOT the same.”

Celestia recoiled from sunset’s words, they stung, they bit, she hated not wearing the facade. But only Luna, Sunset, and Discord could tear it off and she’d from experience in private with Sunset it was better to just leave it off.

“I...I’m sorry Sunset.” Celestia sighed a pained expression on her face.

“Are you going to tell me that Twilight is the same as her counterpart?” Sunset glared defensively.

“I said I’m sorry, Sunset, and that’s FINAL.” Celestia retorted.

Sunset smiled as if to a private joke and started to break down laughing.

“What’s so funny Sunset?” Celestia asked quizzically

“Three years, Twenty five years,” Sunset said as she continued to laugh, “nothing has changed. We still get under each other's skin. Our pride won’t let us do anything else.”

Celestia looked at Sunset for a moment, she was home and nothing had changed between them, she joined in.




Sunset Shimmer looked out from the balcony of her new room, slowly sipping tea. Chamomile, her favorite. Apparently Celestia had ensured an adequate stock. Considering the expense of the flavor on the other side, it was nostalgic. Though not nearly as nostalgic as the fact who she was having tea with.

“They really are different; experiences, psychology, society.” Celestia stated plainly

“Yeah, it was a lesson I had to accept in order to trust Twilight after facing her counterpart.” Sunset sighed, “Though some things definitely stay the same. I do want to make friends with Twilight’s friends. Not because they are Twilight’s friends, nor because they are my friends’ counterparts. Even if I expect that knowing their counterparts will make it easier.”

She smiled into her tea.

“Just like knowing her friends made it easier for her to befriend mine.”

Celestia nodded.

“Sunset,” she said, “I think that’s enough reminiscing. I think it’s time to stop thinking about the past, and think about the future. I’ll admit, and I think you could guess, I had considered how I could push you to get a crown.”

“I kinda gave up on the whole crown thing after the whole fall formal debacle” Sunset smiled sheepishly

“You gave up on something?” Celestia raised an eyebrow

“I found something more valuable.” Sunset smile became genuine

Celestia gave a soft chuckle

“You sound like Twilight.” Celestia returned the smile

Sunset shrugged.

“Perhaps she’s rubbing off on me.” Sunset said. “Anyways, the future then. What is your plan now? You always have one.”

“I don’t.” Celestia admitted, much to Sunset’s surprise. “I honestly don’t have a plan. How could I ever plan for this Sunset? as far as I knew it was impossible to summon The Rainbow without a conduit.”

“We had a conduit.” Sunset said. “Me.”

Celestia, thought about that for far longer than most would think she would need to think about anything, but what she was dealing with was unprecedented, eventually she settled on the most pertinent question she possibly could answer.

“Can you control it?”

“No.” Sunset shook her head “You know as well as I do that The Rainbow can’t be controlled. Only summoned, and hopefully directed.”

Celestia sighed and rubbed her temples.

“So that’s our replacement,” She said sadly. “You.”

“Replacement?” Sunset asked curiously

“The elements.” Celestia nodded “We still don’t have access to them. The Tree still needs it’s fruit to repair the damage Discord did to it.”

“I’m not a wea-”

“I know,” Celestia interrupted, “Do you think I’d ever let you be? I told Twilight you aren’t an experiment, and you certainly aren’t a weapon. I’m not happy with this state of affairs, but we make do. so your future.” Celestia thought for a moment.

“My future.” Sunset sighed.

“I could crown you right now.” Celestia suggested “I certainly can’t claim you don’t deserve it, but I don’t know how the public would take a non-alicorn being granted full royal status.”

She pondered a bit as she took a bite of some cake.

“You sure you don’t want some cake dear?” Celestia asked, proffering a slice.

“No, Mom,” Sunset said, rolling her eyes, “ I don’t have your sweet tooth, just your taste for tea. How you don’t get fat, I have no idea.”

“Ah,” Celestia said smiling, “you sound like Discord. Or does he sound like you? No matter. I could simply give you a symbolic crown like Blueblood, but that was never on the table for you.”

“No it wasn’t.” Sunset admitted

“Then we are in agreement, a unique solution will be needed.” Celestia nodded

“Unique solution?” Sunset blinked

“Sunset as far as i can tell you are a walking breathing Element of Harmony. I can claim as much as I want for both the sake of appearances, and for the sake of their confidence confidence that Cadence and Twilight are my equals, but in your case I’d be understating your status.”

“Wait…What?!” Sunset gasped out.

“You said it all those years ago, that you could surpass me. I certainly can’t rule that possibility out now can I?” Celestia smiled proudly.

Sunset promptly fainted.