• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,670 Views, 270 Comments

Pinning the Heart - Random_User



With Twilight holding court, more and more ponies come to visit Ponyville. Royal Pin, the only tailor in Ponyville, has too much business to handle by himself. When he hires help to ease the pressure, he finds a partner in business and love.

  • ...
5
 270
 1,670

Chapter 11

I came to the path that would take me to Rarity’s and slowed my pace. Time for this morning’s detour, I thought to myself, turned down the path, and circled around Carousel Boutique. “Everything looks good,” I said, after making a full circuit. I trotted back onto the path and spotted a familiar pony at Rarity’s mailbox. “Good morning, Muffins!”

“Good morning!” Muffins greeted me and shut Rarity’s mailbox. “Did you make sure you were hydrated?” she asked in a mother’s tone.

“Yes ma’am,” I told her and stopped beside the mailbox.

“Did you warm up first?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Did you get enough sleep?”

“Yes ma’am.” I looked up to the morning sky and gave a lighthearted groan. “I had to take a nap during a run one time, and now everypony acts like I‘m fragile as a breezie.”

Muffin’s wing’s fluffed up. “You were close to the Everfree Forest when you fainted! You could have been eaten by something!”

“I was too sweaty and smelly to be appetizing. Besides, Rainbow was keeping an eye on us during the training session.”

“You passed out closing your shop too,” Muffins reminded me. “If Berry hadn’t found you there’s no telling how long you would have been on the floor. You had all of us worried that something horrible was going on with you.”

“I recall somepony else needing some T.L.C. with all the work and training she was doing.”

“There’s a big difference between what was going on with you and what I was going through. I got dehydrated and sore. I wasn’t passing out. I have a family to look out for me too. You’re facing the world alone.”

“No I’m not. I have my good friends looking out for me. If I didn’t have ponies like you in my life, then I would be in trouble.”

Muffins shook her head. “You’re a sweet lost cause.” She tapped my nose with a wingtip. “I need to talk to you about what you did the other day.”

“You can’t prove a thing,” I told her. “You have no witnesses.”

“Dinky was there, so I have a witness,” Muffins said, smirking. “She also brought home the cupcakes you gave her, so I have evidence too.”

“I confess! I gave illicit pastries to fillies.” I pointed toward Berry’s and Barrel’s. “Berry was the mastermind behind it all. She told me Piña and Pinch were coming over to check on me, so I got them cupcakes. Dinky was with them, when they came over, and I couldn’t send her home without some cupcakes too.”

Muffins gave me a hug. “Thank you for giving Dinky the cupcakes and helping her friends. You made her day.”

“You’re both welcome.” I returned Muffins’ hug, trying not to make too much contact with her. “Thanks for the hug, but I feel bad you touched me. I’m nasty.”

“Don’t worry about it. I will be flying all day today making deliveries, so it won’t matter.”

“You wouldn’t know if Pinch got the position would you?”

“Not yet. Dinky said that Spike read your letter and liked the idea, but he would have to run it by Twilight for the final okay.” Muffins gave me a curious look. “What did you put in that letter? Dinky told me Spike took some time reading it.”

“I asked for a change in favors and gave him some details about Pinch and her motivations for wanting to work for him and for getting the festivities ready.”

“I hope it impresses Twilight the way it did Spike.” Muffins reached into one of her bags and pulled out two envelopes. “These are for you. Would you like me to drop them off at your mailbox or do you want them now?”

“I’ll take them. That will save you the stop.”

I took the envelopes from Muffins and looked them over. One letter was from Rarity and the other was an express letter from Canterlot.

“I don’t know what I did to become this popular.”

“Is everything in Canterlot okay?” Muffins asked. “This is the second express message you’ve gotten from there in the last few days.”

“I’m not sure what is going on, to be honest.”

Muffins fidgeted from hoof to hoof. “Dinky told me your sister might be in trouble. Would you open it and tell me if everything is all right or not? I’ll worry the rest of the day, if I don’t know. You don’t have to give details, just if she’s all right.”

“Of course I’ll tell you. I’d be a pretty rotten pony if I didn’t.” I opened Satin’s letter and read it as fast as I could.

“That’s not a good expression,” Muffins said.

I rubbed my forehead with a hoof. “Satin’s ‘surprising’ me. She’s arriving this afternoon and I don’t have things ready for her.”

Muffins let out a sigh of relief. “That’s good. Maybe not for you, since you’re not ready and she’s been so wound up the last couple of times she’s visited, but I’m glad she can come. That means her troubles aren’t too bad.”

I put Satin’s letter back into its envelope and opened the second letter. After scanning it, I smiled. “Rarity is coming back today. She and Applejack solved the friendship problem.”

“That’s great!” Muffin’s tilted her head. “Applejack’s not coming back too?”

“She’s staying in Manehatten to visit her aunt and uncle.”

“That’s sweet of her.”

I reread the time that Rarity would be coming in and snorted. “Rarity will be on the same train as Satin, if I had to bet.”

“Which means they could run into each other,” Muffins pointed out. “How bad could that turn out?”

“We might see the fireworks from here, if Satin gets snippy and Rarity is too tired to hold back in her responses.”

“Oh dear, I hope things don’t play out like that.”

I sighed and agreed, “Me too.”

*****

I watched the train come toward the station with a chaotic mix of emotions.

“I wasn’t expecting you to be here,” Thunderlane said, walked up, and held his hoof out to me. “It’s good to see you.”

I bumped my hoof to his. “Good to see you.” I nodded to the bouquet he was carrying. “Rarity will love those.”

“Rose said she would.” Thunderlane fiddled with the bouquet, trying to make it look just so. “I didn’t think I’d miss her as much as I have. I don’t see her every day, but knowing that I wouldn’t be able to made it feel like something vital in my life was out of place.”

“I know that feeling,” I told him.

The rush of air and sound from the train coming into the station drowned out Thunderlane’s response.

I scanned the crowd for Satin.

“Wait a minute,” Thunderlane said. “You’re not here to pick up Rarity, so who are you picking up?”

“My sister,” I answered.

Thunderlane grimaced. “You’re serious?! I heard how nasty she was the last time she was here. I thought you told her to keep away.”

“I think she might need help. I won’t let her sink because we had a fight. She is my sister.”

Thunderlane grunted. “I understand. Rumble and I get into it every now and then, but I would fly into Tartarus itself if he needed me to.”

“Thunderlane!” Rarity called. “There you are, darling!” Rarity moved through the crowd towards us. Her eyes lingered on the bouquet tucked in Thunderlane’s foreleg. “Are those for me?”

“They are,” Thunderlane said, passed the bouquet to Rarity, and gave her a nose-to-nose nuzzle. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” Rarity kissed Thunderlane’s cheek. Rarity glanced behind her and called, “Satin, Pin’s over here!”

Satin wove through the thinning crowd and came into view. When she met eyes with me, she braced herself and marched more than walked towards us.

“Hello, sis,” I said, as she came closer.

“Hello.” Satin stopped in front of me and stood like she was presenting herself for an inspection. “Thank you for having me again.”

I hugged her. “I’m glad you came.”

Satin relaxed and returned the hug.

“I still imagine her from when we were smaller,” Thunderlane said. “I keep forgetting she’s miniature sized like Rainbow.”

“Petite is the word I would use,” Rarity said.

“Petite?” Thunderlane shook his head. “Rainbow’s too solid and tough for ‘petite.’ Compact or concentrated would be more appropriate for her.”

Rarity giggled. “Though those might be apt descriptions, please consider not using them when Rainbow can hear you.”

Satin broke her hug with me and turned to Thunderlane. She looked over him from hooves to ear tips. “Rarity’s right. You are quite handsome.”

Thunderlane blushed. “Thank you.”

“Let’s grab your luggage,” I said to Satin.

“I’ll get Rarity’s,” Thunderlane said.

Satin patted one pouch on her side. “I just brought what’s in my saddlebags.”

“You might want to carry those for her,” Rarity suggested, her tone hinting at something.

“He doesn't have to.” Satin gave Rarity an inscrutable smile. “I’m ‘petite,’ not delicate.”

“But dear...” Rarity trailed off and nodded. “Please, take care of yourself, though.”

“I will,” Satin assured.

I let out a relieved breath. “I’m glad to see you two are on better terms than last time.”

“She apologized to me, and I have forgiven her,” Rarity said. “We had a wonderful conversation during the ride back after that.”

Thunderlane and I glanced at each other in silent agreement that something else had to be going on.

“You don’t have to worry about my luggage,” Rarity said to Thunderlane. “I followed Applejack’s example and only carried what I could in my saddlebags too.”

Thunderlane stared at Rarity as if she was talking gibberish. “You didn’t go shopping?”

Rarity smirked. “I did. I had my purchases shipped home, though. They should be waiting for me at the post office.”

“That’s great.” Thunderlane gave Rarity a handsome smile, bowed, and spread his wings in an elegant display. “Would the lady do me the honor of letting me give her a flight?”

Rarity blushed and glanced around. “Dear, while I appreciate the offer, you don’t have to do that. I’m carrying quite a bit and I don’t want for you to overwork yourself.”

“I’m sure Pin could help you with those,” Thunderlane said, looking to me for help.

“I would be happy to,” I said.

“Please?” Thunderlane looked up at Rarity with puppy eyes. “I’ve missed our flights together.”

Rarity touched her nose to Thunderlane’s. “How could I say no after that?”

I levitated Rarity’s saddlebags from her back and onto mine. “We’ll drop these off at your place.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Rarity told me. “I’ll swing by your place and pick them up later.”

Thunderlane took Rarity into his forelegs, whispered something in her ear, to which she blushed and giggled, and then took off with her into the air.

“She has it bad for him.” Satin grinned and elbowed me. “I guess it worked out you two didn’t work out.”

I studied Satin for a moment.

Satin raised an eyebrow. “What did I do?”

“Nothing,” I said. “I keep thinking something is different about you, but I can’t put my hoof on it.”

“Is it something good or bad?”

“I don’t know. You’re different is all I can tell.” I bumped my shoulder to hers. “You ready to head to the shop?”

“That sounds great.” She took in a breath and let it out. “I hope I can have as easy a time making amends with everypony else as I did with Rarity.” One of her ears fell and she gave me a vulnerable look. “Including you.”

“I wasn’t a paragon of proper behavior myself.” I tapped my chin to the top of her head, gaining me an indignant huff from Satin.

She gave me a mock glare. “Did you have to do that?”

“I think the best way for us to get past what happened is to get back to acting like big brother and older sister.” I gave Satin a grin. “Including me reminding you who’s taller every now and then.”

“That sounds good to me.” Satin gave me a hug around the neck. “I’m glad you still want me as a sister.”

I gave her a one foreleg hug back and nuzzled the top of her head. “I will always want you as my sister.”

“Let’s get to Grandfather’s, before one of us, or both of us, cries,” Satin patted my shoulder and let me go. “We have a lot to talk about.”

As we walked towards home, Satin took in the town. “Is it just me, or are there more ponies here?”

“Ponyville’s grown, but not too much. We get a lot more visitors, though.” I nodded towards the town’s only inn, as we passed it. “Comfy Sheets has more business than she knows what to do with, thanks to ponies coming to town to see Princess Twilight’s castle or the princess herself.”

“Speaking of ponies working themselves to death, how are you doing?” Satin asked.

“I’m keeping up.”

Satin gave me a look of concern. “Mother said you gave her the impression you were doing okay.”

“Keeping pace sums up how I am at the moment. If orders pick up, however, I could be in trouble. How’s work going for you?”

Satin took a long breath in and let it out with a hissing exhale through her teeth. “Maybe we should wait till we get to Grandfather’s to talk about work.”

I noticed Satin and I kept getting curious looks, as we made our way through town. “What’s going on with everypony?” I muttered to myself.

“They’re admiring your frilly pink saddlebags with Rarity’s cutie mark on them,” Satin said deadpan. “They go well with your coat.”

I laughed. “These in combination with you wearing extra-large saddlebags that make you look like a filly; I guess we’re something to see.”

Satin’s ears fell. “Or they heard about my tirade.”

I bumped sides with Satin. “If they did, don’t worry. Ponies here are forgiving. Trust me; I’ve had my share of faux pas to make up for.”

“What I did was more than a faux pas.”

We paused at the door, while I put my key in the lock. “You’re giving yourself too much credit. What you did wasn’t horrible.” I turned the key. “I still don’t understand why you acted that way though.”

“I wanted you back in Canterlot,” Satin said in a quiet voice. “Not where I couldn’t see you or talk with you or-”

I touched my hoof to her nose, cutting her off. “Or braid my mane and tail if I’m not paying attention.”

Satin giggled. “That’s not what I was thinking about, but that too.”

I opened the door. “I have the guest room ready for you. Would you like me to carry those for you up the stairs?”

“Thank you, but no thank you,” said as she passed me. “I’m not going soft yet.”

“The thought never crossed my mind.” I shut the door behind us.

Satin took a moment to look around the storefront. “You’ve changed things up in your designs and the layout of the store.”

“Coco’s inspired me. Several of the display shifts were her ideas too.”

“About this mysterious mare that’s come into your life,” Satin gave me a curious older sister’s look. “When do I get to meet her?”

“She’s supposed to be back in two days.” I led Satin into the apartment. “Would you like something to drink? How about some wine before dinner to help unwind from the train?”

Satin shook her head and headed to the guest room. “I have to decline the wine.”

“Coffee?”

“I better skip that too.” She looked back over her shoulder and said, “I would like some decaf tea, if you have any.”

“I can do that.” I put Rarity’s bags aside, stepped into the kitchen, and put the kettle on. “Are you feeling all right?” I asked, hearing Satin’s hoof falls approaching. “I’ve never known you to turn down coff-” My mind returned to how Rarity had treated and spoken to Satin and things fell into place.

I turned as Satin stepped into the kitchen and stared at her.

She paused and gave me a look that told me she knew something was going through my head. “What is it?”

“Sis, are you pregnant?”

Satin gave me a worried smile. “I am.”

My flank hit the floor. After taking a second to regain my ability to speak, I asked, “How?”

Satin shook her head. “If you have to ask, it's no wonder you had trouble getting a marefriend.”

I snorted. “I know the mechanics. What I meant is that this is going against what I thought you had planned.”

Satin’s expression shifted to one of distaste. “No, having a foal was not in the plans for me, as mother has so often lamented.” She closed her eyes and took a breath. “Sorry. Raw moment there.”

“Trust me, I understand.” I rubbed the back of my neck with a hoof. “Should I be happy for you or...”

Satin smiled a genuine, bright smile. “Happy, be very happy.”

I walked over to Satin and gave her a hug. “I’m glad.”

“I was so nervous about telling you,” she said, as she hugged me back.

I gave her a comforting light squeeze around the shoulders. “Did you think I would get mad at you or something?”

“I didn’t know how you would take it.”

“Considering my coming into the world was an unexpected event, I’m in no position to say much of anything.” When Satin looked up at me, I bumped my nose to hers. “I can’t wait to be an uncle.”

“Pin, I’m scared.”

I did my best to keep an even tone when I asked, “Did the stallion run out on you?”

Satin shook her head. “No. He never would.” She sniffed. “He loves me, and I love him. That won’t be an issue.”

“Then what’s to be scared of?”

“I don’t want to treat the foal like Mother and Father treated you.” She pulled back from me and put her fore hooves to her belly. “This is my foal, and I will be a good mother and give it all the attention, love, and support I can.”

Her conviction and the touch of anger in her voice made my ears pin back. “Sis, Mom and Dad loved and still love me.”

“I know, but they’ve always treated you and me like projects to complete and maintain rather than as foals or ponies of our own.” She smiled at me with sad eyes. “I hated when they sent you off to that academy. You were my little brother. I had somepony that was so special to me and they sent you away.” Her tears started again. “I won’t do that with this foal. I won’t!” She sniffed and wiped her eyes with the back of her foreleg. “I’m not doing a good job of explaining what I’m feeling.”

I took her hoof with mine. “I think you’re doing a good job of getting the idea across.”

Satin studied our clasped hooves. “I lost all that time with you. I don’t want to lose time with somepony else that I love, but with all that’s pulling on me I’m not sure I’ll be able to be the mother I want to be without letting somepony down.”

“The only ponies you have to worry about are you and the foal. Everypony else will be fine. Do you know what the foal will be?”

Satin shook her head and smiled. “We decided not to find out. We don’t know whether it’s a colt or a filly or what tribe of pony it will be.”

I looked down at Satin’s belly. “You’re just going to be a surprise all the way around aren’t you?”

Satin giggled and mussed my mane. “You will be great uncle.”

“I hope so.” I shook my head to get my mane to fall back into place. “I haven’t blown it with Piña and Pinch, so far, so that’s a good sign.”

“The girls!” She walked over the kitchen table, put her head down, and covered her face with her forelegs, and groaned. “How am I ever going to make up to them for what I did?”

I took the kettle off the stove and prepared the tea. “I’ve found that one of the best ways to reach a pony is through food. If you apologize and give them a treat, I’m sure they will come around.” I levitated Satin’s tea to the table. “In fact, that will work their entire family, if I had to bet.”

“I don’t know. I was a royal ursa major.”

“What about if you make your mint chocolate cookies?” I suggested, sitting down at the table. “You could make a timberwolf roll over for one of those.”

Satin shifted a foreleg so she could look at me with one eye. “Do I detect an ulterior motive here?”

“I may want a cookie or two,” I admitted. “I never can get them to come out the way you do. I’d be glad to help.”

“We will have a lot of baking to do, considering how many ponies I have to apologize to.” Satin uncovered her face and sat back up. “Do you have the stuff we’d need?”

“Not at the moment. We can get what we need after we finish our tea.”

“The only good thing that came out of you not being home is that Nana and Grandfather raised you to be a wonderful pony.”

“Mom and Dad had a hoof in that too.”

“Not much, though.”

“They must have irritated you pretty bad for you to keep taking swipes at them.”

“You have no idea.” She booped me on the nose. “I was selfish to ask you come back to Canterlot. It would have helped me, but it would have ruined you. Those two are enough to drive any pony bonkers.”

“You haven’t gone nuts,” I pointed out.

“No, but there have been some close calls.” Satin reached out and took my hoof. “Speaking of which, I owe you a whole batch of cookies for yourself for what I did.”

“Satin, you-”

Satin used her magic to tap me on the nose.

I froze at her use of our old signal to keep quiet and listen.

“The company’s new projects, Mother and Father, Canterlot living, not having a personal life, it all got to be too much. I came here to relax, see you, and get away from all that. I ended up bringing all of that stress with me here and being horrible to you and your friends.”

I opened my mouth and she tapped my nose with her magic again.

“I didn’t know how to ask or even if I should have asked for help. You have your own life, I knew that, which made hesitate to ask.” She broke eye contact with me, looked to the table, swallowed, and then looked back up. “I was so stressed and frazzled all it took was a little too much wine for me to lash out.” She tightened her hold on my hoof. “I’m sorry.”

“It wasn’t pleasant to catch the brunt of it, but I understand. Just living near Mom and Dad would drive me up the wall, much less everything else you have on you.”

She gave me a smirk. “You were right, I needed therapy.”

I winced, remembering telling her as much as she boarded the train back to Canterlot. “I should never have said that.”

“No, it was the right thing to say. After I got my head back on straight, I got some help, changed my schedule, and got out more.”

“And you met him,” I ventured.

“And I met him.” Satin gave me a guilty look. “Speaking of meeting him, if you don’t think I owe you cookies for the last time I was here, you will after I ask this.”

I sat back, smiled, and crossed my forelegs over my chest. “This should be good.”

“He’s flying into Ponyville tomorrow evening. Can he stay here too?”

“Sure. I didn’t know that there were any passenger balloons coming into town tomorrow.”

“He doesn’t need a balloon.”

Satin giggled, as my mouth fell open.

“He’s a pegasus?”

Satin nodded. “It seems I take after Grandfather.”

“How are Mom and Dad taking that? I know they warmed up to Nana and Grandfather a little, but…”

The cheer in Satin’s eyes vanished. “They don’t know.”

“They don’t know about him?”

Satin shook her head. “I haven’t told them I’m pregnant either. I think Mother suspects something, but she has said nothing about it.”

“Sis, you’ve got to tell them. How have you hid it this long?”

“I haven’t ‘hidden’ it. I just haven’t shared the fact I’m carrying with them or anypony in Canterlot.” Satin looked down and put a hoof on her belly. “There had been hints, which I’ll spare you the details of, but I wasn’t certain I was pregnant until not too long before Mother and Father told me they found out you had a special somepony again. Give it another month or two and the cat will be out of the bag whether or not I want it to be.”

“Which means you’re in the second trimester,” I said, looking down towards her belly.

Satin seemed surprised. “You know about that timing?” she asked.

“I stayed awake in health class. Being around Berryshine and Berry Punch when they were carrying Piña and Pinch taught me a lot too.”

My expression must have shown what I was thinking.

Satin raised an eyebrow. “You’re not happy about me not telling them.”

“I don’t know about ‘not happy.’ I‘m just worried about how your relationship with Mom and Dad is if you’re not sharing stuff like this with them.”

“I tried to have conversations with them about things outside of work before.” Satin sighed and let her ears fall. “You can guess how well that went.”

“About as well as me trying to find out what is going on with you three and the company, if I had to bet.” I sighed and groused, “Them and their odd unwritten rules.”

“Besides,” Satin raised an eyebrow at me, “would you tell Mother you were expecting until you had to?”

I did my best to suppress it, but I ended up laughing. “No, I can‘t say I would.”

The spark returned back to Satin’s eyes. “There for I second, I wondered why you would know about the trimester timing. Is there something you should be sharing?”

“Coco and I have not advanced our relationship that far,” I confessed.

Satin gave me an amused but disappointed look. “You’ve been your typical gentlecolt self with her haven’t you?”

I put a hoof to my chest. “Of course I have.”

“And you’ve been dating for about half a year now?” Satin made a tsk-tsk noise at me. “You better watch it or she’ll do to you what I did to Storm.”

“Which was?”

Satin gave me a wicked grin. “I pinned him to my couch and told him we were going to ravish each other or break up.”

“Satin!” I chided, “Don’t beat up your coltfriend.”

“Fiancé, now,” she informed me.

“I would hope so, but the point still stands.”

“I didn’t ‘beat him up.’ I got his attention and made things about our relationship clear. Besides, he gave as good as he got, after he agreed and we moved into the bedroom.” Satin sipped the last of her tea and hummed. “The things he can do with those wings.”

“Sis, I don’t need to know.”

“You sure you don’t need pointers?” Satin kidded. “It could be educational for you to get things from a mare’s perspective.”

“Thanks for the offer, but Mom left a whole stack of books worth of pointers that wouldn’t involve changing my perceptions of you forever.”

Satin sighed and looked down into her empty teacup. “She sends you books while she and Father don't even notice I’m dating somepony for over a year.”

“Is that why you snapped at Dad?”

Satin nodded. “They found out you had a marefriend and gushed to me about it. They see me almost every day and they almost never ask about anything outside the office. It’s like they put a check-mark on me as fulfilling the role they wanted and they aren’t interested in anything else about me. It got under my saddle that it took you getting a marefriend for Dad to ask how I was doing.”

“They are both very proud of you and concerned,” I told her. “That’s one reason they asked me to think about reaching out to you again.” I rubbed her shoulder with a hoof. “You know how both of them are at communication.”

“They’re both horrible, I know.” Satin smiled, scooted closer to me, and gave me a hug. “You’re the only sane pony left I can talk to that knows them well enough to get what I’m saying.”

I snorted. “If I’m the sane one, we’re both in trouble.” I gave her a hug back. “I’m glad you’re back. I’m sorry I said that you were not wel-” She stopped me by tapping my nose with her magic again.

“We both did and said things last time I was here. We should just get back to normal, like you said.” She looked up at me and asked, “Let’s learn from what happened and leave it behind us. Agreed?”

“Agreed.”

“Good.” Satin patted my back. “Now, let’s go get those ingredients. We’re through with our tea, and we’ve had enough sappy conversation for now.”

“Since we’re going to the market, are there any strange food combinations you would like for dinner?” I teased. “Hay bacon and whipped crème? Wasbi and ice cream?”

“Wasbi and ice cream?!” Satin blanched. “Why would such a horrible combination even cross your mind?!”

“From what Grandfather and Nana told me, Mom used to put hot sauce on her pancakes when she was expecting you and make jalapeño and fruit salads when she was with me.”

“Okay, fine.” Satin blushed and pouted. “I’ll admit Storm and I have been going to a new place in Canterlot that has spicy tofu enough to where they know who I am when I order carry out.”

“I don’t know about spicy tofu, but I’m sure Cuisine at the Grassy Meadow can whip up something with a bit of spice for you and I’m sure it will taste great.”

Satin’s ears perked up. “Really?”

I nodded. “He’s a Canterlot Culinary Institute trained chef.”

Satin grinned. “We have a plan.”

*****

“Here’s our last stop,” I said and pointed towards Bon Bon’s shop. “It’s the only place in Ponyville to go, if you’re looking for quality chocolate or mint chips.” I opened the door for Satin and let her into the shop first.

“Satin!” an exited voice called. “What are you doing here?!”

I stepped into the shop just as Lemon Hearts darted from behind the shop’s counter and hugged Satin.

“Hello, Hearts, I could ask you the same thing,” Satin replied and returned Lemon Hearts’ hug.

“I’m here helping Bon Bon fill her orders for the Castle Warming,” Lemon Hearts explained. “She and I are teaming up to do the dessert catering. Lyra’s here too.”

“I’ll be out there in just a second,” Lyra called from the back. “I’m moving some hot racks, right now.”

“I haven’t seen you in ages,” Lemon Hearts let go of Satin and took a step back. She gave Satin a knowing smile. “I’ve heard that you found yourself a stallion.”

“Ah, Canterlot gossip,” Satin said with a sigh and a smile. “It’s true. Don’t spread this around, please, he and I are engaged.”

Lemon Hearts’ already high energy level increased. “Congratulations!” She waggled her eyebrows at Satin. “How much of a hunk is he?”

Satin, with a light blush, told Lemon Hearts, “He’s a real stud.”

Lemon Hearts’ eyes widened and her ears went to full attention. “You mean…?”

“I’m expecting,” Satin confirmed.

“That’s wonderful!” Lemon Hearts cheered.

I did my best not to laugh, as Lemon Hearts hopped up and down and asked Satin a flurry of questions: “Is it a colt or a filly? How long do you have now? What kind of pony is it going to be? Who’s the Dad? Do I know him? When did you find out you were expecting?”

After attempting to answer Lemon Hearts’ first three questions, and getting cut off by Hearts’ next inquiry each time, Satin stood still and stared in amazement at her bouncing inquisitor.

Bon Bon rubbed her forehead with a hoof. “Hearts, calm down.”

Lemon Hearts’ ears fell. “But I want to know.”

“She’s trying to answer you, but you have to give her a chance to say something,” Lyra pointed out, as she stepped behind the counter. “Hello to you too.”

Bon Bon looked towards me and asked, “What brings you two here?”

“We need chocolate and mint chips,” I told her. “I was telling Satin this is the only place to get them in town.”

“He’s buttering you up for a discount,” Lyra warned Bon Bon in stage whisper. “Don’t fall for it.”

“He’s telling the truth,” Satin said and smiled. “Hello, Lyra. Staying out of trouble?”

“Trying to,” Lyra said. “Bon Bon here runs a tight ship.”

“Chocolate making is a serious business,” Lemon Hearts said. “One mistake and you can ruin a batch and hours of work.”

“Oh, I know,” Lyra said and picked a bon bon from the counter’s sample tray in her magic. “I appreciate that chocolate making is a delicate process that requires attention and devotion.” Using her magic, Lyra unwrapped the bon bon with a slow twist of its paper. “As much as I love bon bons, I wouldn’t be able to stand the guilt of messing a batch up.” Lyra levitated the bon bon to her mouth and made a show of sticking out her tongue and placing the bon bon on it.

Bon Bon’s blushed a deep shade of red as Lyra drew the bon bon into her mouth, bit down with slow exaggeration, and hummed a pleasured note. “Lyra!” she scolded, “Behave yourself!”

“You’re cheating!” Lemon Hearts protested. “I can’t do things like that since I’m not her special somepony!”

Lyra, still making a show of enjoying the bon bon, smiled.

“What are you two crazies up to this time?” Satin asked.

“They have a contest going to see who can make me blush the most times during the day,” Bon Bon said, hiding her face behind her hooves.

Lyra swallowed her treat. “I get a bonus point too.”

“What for?” Lemon Hearts asked.

Lyra pointed a hoof at me. “I made him blush at the same time.”

I did not bother trying to deny that I had blushed. “Leave me out of this! The last time you two involved me in one of your games I ended up grounded for a week!”

Bon Bon looked around at everypony. “How can you know each other?”

“Lemon Hearts and Lyra were underclassponies to me at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns,” Satin said. “I used to tutor them.”

“She’d meet us outside of school too,” Lyra said, “and sometimes she’d bring Pin with her.”

“I heard something else,” Lemon Hearts said and made sad eyes at me. “Is it true you found yourself a special somepony?”

“Yes, Lemon, it’s true,” I said.

“I thought I was the only mare for you,” she teased, acting wounded. “We had milkshakes together and everything.”

Lyra giggled. “He let you and Satin braid his mane and tail too.”

Bon Bon snorted a laugh and covered her mouth with a hoof. “Sorry,” she said to me. “I couldn’t keep the image out of my head.”

I let my head drop towards the floor. “My poor, wounded dignity.”

“You have nothing to be ashamed of,” Lyra said. “You looked good with braids.”

“I am sorry, Hearts, for disappointing you so,” I told her, joking back. “But my heart belongs to another.”

Lemon Hearts put her nose in the air, smiling the whole time. “You shouldn’t worry about me. I have found another whose love is true. A fine stallion named Autumn Leaf.”

The shop’s door opened, prompting us to behave ourselves.

“Hello, Miss Bon Bon!” a cheerful, familiar voice greeted. Piña pranced into the shop, followed by Pinch and Barrel. “We’re getting Mom a treat-” Piña froze in mid step at the sight of Satin.

“Hello Piña,” Satin greeted in a cautious tone.

Piña looked at me like I had betrayed her. “Uncle Pin, I thought you told her to stay away.”

“I invited her back. She is my sister, I missed her, and she needed some help.”

Piña put herself between Satin and Pinch. She stared right into Satin’s eyes and told her: “Uncle Pin is too nice. You should have stayed in Canterlot, since you like it there so much.”

“I understand why you’re mad,” Satin said, her words laced with pain and regret. “I said some nasty, hurtful things. I’m sorry for what I did and I want to make it up to you. That’s why we’re here; to get ingredients for the cookies I want to make everypony to apologize.”

“You can’t make things better with cookies.” Piña said in an icy tone. “You were supposed to be our aunt. We looked forward to you coming and when you got here you were grouchy to us.” She drew a breath through her nose and let out an angry, hot breath. “Then, at dinner, you insulted us, Nana and Grandpa, and tried to tempt my niece into leaving us.”

“Piña, calm down,” Barrel said. “She acted an ursa, but you shouldn’t have a fit about what she did in the middle of somepony’s store.”

Pinch moved to stand beside Piña and put a foreleg around her shoulders. “Piña, please, calm down. I’ve never seen you like this and it’s scaring me. Close you’re eyes and take a deep breath. Think about what you’re doing and where you are.”

Piña glared at Satin. “She didn’t think about that when she did what she did.”

“So you want to stoop to the same level she did then?” Barrel asked. “You were raised better than that.”

Satin flinched at Barrel’s words.

Piña closed her eyes and took a breath. “Mom and Dad said family is supposed to stick together.” She opened her eyes and looked at Pinch. “Your mom and dad and my mom and dad have said that family and friends are all that matters and that we should treat everypony we care about like a treasure.”

“Satin is our adoptive aunt,” Pinch pointed out. “We should treat her special too and gi-”

“She was!” Piña interrupted. She pointed a hoof at Satin. “She said horrible things about our families, our friends, and our home town. She tried to take Uncle Pin from us.” Piña sniffed, turned, and hugged Pinch. “She even tried to take you. She’s not our aunt. A real aunt wouldn’t do something like that.”

Pinch hugged Piña back. “I promise me leaving Ponyville isn’t happening.”

Piña said in a sad and soft tone, “I thought you might.” She nuzzled into Pinch. “You could make it into Celestia’s school, if you wanted to go.”

Satin said, her words sounding fragile: “I was stressed and falling apart. It’s no excuse, but I had too much wine that night. Some part of me thought if I belittled what he was doing, his friends, and where he lived he would come back to Canterlot.” Satin sniffed at her tears. “I’ve had a long time to think on it and learn from my mistake.” She took in a pained breath. “Two years’ worth of time.”

I started to move towards Satin, to comfort her, but she motioned for me to stay put. Sis, standing against your troubles alone is the main thing that got you into this mess, I thought to myself.

Lyra said, “Piña, I’ve known Satin for a long time, and she’s a caring, solid pony that takes too much on herself.”

“Like somepony else we know,” Bon Bon said, looking at me.

I shrugged and gave her a guilty grin. “It runs in the family.”

“Pin is Satin’s biggest soft spot, so I’m sure not being able to convince him to come back to Canterlot ate her up,” Lemon Hearts told Piña.

Barrel took both Piña and Pinch in a hug. “We should forgive her.”

Piña looked up at Barrel. “But-”

Barrel tapped Piña’s nose with a hoof. “Berry forgave me, when I had too much wine and did something stupid. I did the best I could to apologize and make it up to her; Berry was kind and accepted my apology. After a wonderful courtship, we got the most precious thing in our world.” Barrel leaned down and kissed Pinch’s head. “I think she’s special to you too.”

Piña nodded. “She is.”

“I also got to be a part of you growing up, which I hope has been a good thing for you.”

Piña nodded and smiled. “It’s been great.”

Barrel touched his forehead to Piña’s. “Don’t shut somepony out of your life because of a mistake they want to make up for and learn from. You never know what that may cost you.”

Piña nuzzled into Barrel. “Okay.”

“I’ve sworn off drinking, I’ve learned how to better manage my stress, and I’ve found a wonderful stallion I can rely on to help me out.” Satin assured, “What happened then will not happen again.”

One of Pinch’s ears turned towards Satin.

Barrel chuckled. “You’ve done it now.”

Pinch gave Barrel a light poke to the ribs and ducked under his foreleg. She approached Satin and smiled. “Will you tell me about him and how you met?”

Satin sniffed and nodded. “You can meet him too. He’ll be coming tomorrow.”

Pinch closed the distance between her and Satin and gave her a hug. “I missed you Auntie.”

Satin nuzzled the top of Pinch’s head. “I missed you too.”

“While I’m glad you’re feeling better and yourself again, I’m not sure if I like this talk about you not having a drink now and then,” Barrel kidded.

“I’m glad I haven’t. It might have harmed somepony I didn’t know was going to be a part of my life. It would have torn me to pieces, knowing I might have hurt them before they even got here.”

Pinch looked up at Satin. “Are you…?”

“Pregnant?” Piña asked as if completing Pinch’s sentence.

“I am,” Satin said.

“Now you’ve really done it,” Barrel said to Satin and let go of Piña. “There is something about pregnant mares that has always fascinated Piña.”

“I think it touches something in her caring, protective nature,” Bon Bon said. “Mrs. Cake used to tell me how Piña would come to Sugar Cube corner just to check on her.”

Pinch released Satin and moved aside. “She and Mom take after Grandma. They care for everypony, but they always look out for anypony that might need a little more support a bit more.”

Barrel chucked. “That sounds about right. It also explains why Berry and Piña are always fussing over Pin. He’s a mess on his own.”

I sighed, not able to refute Barrel’s assessment.

As Piña approached Satin, her eyes never left Satin’s midsection.

“You can’t see anything yet.” Satin put a hoof to her belly. “It won’t be too long and you’ll be able to.”

“Do you know what it will be?” Piña asked.

Satin shook her head. “We want it to be a surprise. We’re going to love them whatever they decide to be.”

Piña reached up with a hoof and then paused.

“It’s okay.” Satin took Piña’s hoof with hers and guided it to her belly. “You can feel something right about here.”

“I feel it.” Piña smiled and looked up at Satin. “I can’t wait to meet them.”

“I’m glad.”

Piña’s ears pinned back in worry, as she looked up to Satin's face. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong.” Tears went down Satin’s cheeks even as she smiled. “I was thinking you’ll be a much better aunt to this foal than I’ve been to you and Pinch.”

Piña sniffed back her own tears. “Except for that one time, you've been a great aunt. I shouldn’t have been so mean to you.”

Satin took Piña into a hug. “Let’s not be mean to each other ever again. Okay?”

Piña cuddled against Satin. “Sounds good to me.”

Satin reached out and brought Pinch into the hug. “I’m so glad I’ve got you two back.”

Piña said, “Don’t leave us again, please.”

Satin nuzzled Piña. “I won’t. I promise.”