• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,670 Views, 270 Comments

Pinning the Heart - Random_User



With Twilight holding court, more and more ponies come to visit Ponyville. Royal Pin, the only tailor in Ponyville, has too much business to handle by himself. When he hires help to ease the pressure, he finds a partner in business and love.

  • ...
5
 270
 1,670

Chapter 10

Hearing the front counter’s service bell, I looked up from my stitching.

“I’ll be right with you,” I called to the front.

“Take your time,” Berry called back. “I’m not here as a customer.”

I finished the stitch and tied the thread off. “Come on back.”

“I guess it’s safe to,” Berry said. She stepped into the workroom. “Since Coco’s not here, I don’t have to worry about walking into another scene of ear nibbling.” Berry flinched. “Sorry, I shouldn’t make jokes about her not being here.”

“It’s fine.”

“No, it’s not,” Berry insisted. “I know how I feel when Barrel has to go on a trip.”

“That’s different. He’s your husband.”

“It’s not that different between you two.” Berry poked me in the chest with a hoof. “If she asked you to marry her, would you say no?”

I gave a light snort. “First, I would have to get over the shock and then I would say yes.”

“I didn’t think you’d turn her down.” Berry gave me a satisfied smile. “Now, all we have to do is wait for one of you two to pop the question.”

“I’ve only known her for a few months,” I reminded Berry. “It’s too early for either of us to consider making that kind of leap.” I felt my ears fall as I told her, “I’m not sure her heart isn’t in Manehatten too.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that too much. She’s part of why I’m here. Coco asked me and the girls to check in on you since the orders were piling up again.”

“I’m fine.” I waved a hoof towards my workstation. “As long as things don’t pick up too much I’ll be able to keep pace.”

“Now I’ve checked in on you, I have some good news and some bad news,” Berry said. “Which would you like first?”

“Good news first, please.”

“Coco likes the wine you have been getting her.”

I drew in a hissing breath, guessing what the bad news would be.

“The bad news is she is not happy with your spending habits,” Berry said, confirming my guess.

“She’s worth every bit.”

Berry patted me on the shoulder. “That’s sweet, but it will not save you if you tell her that. It’s against my best interests, but I can suggest alternatives to get her next time.”

“The only problem is I like the wine too. If I try to convince her it’s for my personal consumption, while sharing a good portion with her, it’s not going to go that well.”

The shop’s entry bell chimed again.

“I better check up front,” I told Berry.

Berry fell into step behind me. “I’ll follow you.”

After entering the store front and not seeing anypony, I glanced around. “Hello?”

“Sorry!” a voice said from behind a display. “I was looking at all the new stuff in the store. There’s even more new designs, since the last time I came in here. You and Coco make a good team.”

“Thanks. Is everything all right with your suit?”

Spike stepped into view. He was wearing the suit I had made for him and carrying a messenger bag. “The suit’s great. I’ve been getting a lot of complements on it.”

“It looks sharp,” Berry said.

“I didn’t know you would be here!” Spike said and reached into his bag. “That’s perfect. I can give you your tickets too.”

“What tickets?” I asked.

“To Twilight’s Castle Warming Celebration.” Spike gave me a ticket. “This is for you.” He then gave a pair of tickets to Berry. “These are for you and Barrel.”

“Thank you!” Berry pranced in place with glee. “From what I’ve heard this is going to the event of the century for Ponyville.”

“Thank you very much,” I told Spike. “I’m not sure how I ended up on the guest list, though.”

“Consider it a thank you from Twilight for making me the suit,” Spike said. “I haven’t forgotten. I still owe you that favor. I’ll drop your name as often as I can, I promise.”

“You don’t have to do that. As much as you and the Elements have done for Ponyville and Equestria, it was the least I could do to show my appreciation.”

Spike shook his head. “A deal’s a deal. You delivered the suit. Now, I have to deliver my end of the bargain.”

I looked at the ticket, which was the size of an announcement card and printed with a stylized image of Twilight’s castle. “This isn’t a ticket; it’s a work of art.”

“Davenport did the printing. Rarity was right when she recommended him, he does great work.” Spike’s smile waned and his spines drooped.

“Are you okay?” Berry asked him.

“Yeah, I was just thinking about something.”

“Tell me what is wrong,” Berry encouraged in a maternal tone. “Maybe I can help.”

“I was going to ask Rarity to the celebration, but somepony got to her first.”

Berry hugged Spike again and gave him a comforting nuzzle on the top of his head. “I can’t help with that, but I hope the hug takes some of the hurt away.”

Spike returned Berry’s hug and told her, “It does.”

I felt a pang of guilt, knowing I had encouraged Thunderlane to ask Rarity out.

“You better save a dance for me,” Berry told Spike. “I’m no Rarity, but a wonderful dragon like you deserves it.”

Spike looked up at her and smiled. “You’re great as Berry Punch.” Spike sighed and let Berry go. “I better go. I have lots of stops to make today.” He chuckled. “This assistant is thinking he may need an assistant if things stay as busy as they have been.”

“Hold still a moment.” Berry fussed over Spike, making sure his suit was pristine and straight. “There we go. You look quite handsome.” She gave Spike a wink. “If you’re not careful, you might be the one getting asked out.”

“I doubt it, but thanks.” Spike gave Berry a brave smile and stepped towards the door. “At least if I go stag I can dance with all the nice mares like you I want.”

Berry laughed. “That’s the spirit!”

“Take care and thanks again,” I called after Spike, as he left the shop.

Berry sighed. “Poor little guy.”

“I feel bad, knowing I helped his competition,” I confessed, after the door closed.

“I do too, but I think Rarity and Thunderlane are happy together so that takes some of the sting off.” Berry looked at me. “I hope Coco gets a ticket too, or things could get awkward.”

“I’ll give mine to her, if she doesn’t get one. She would enjoy it more than I would.”

“You’re always putting her before yourself,” Berry said smiling.

“Ladies first,” I responded.

“I almost forgot to warn you,” Berry said. “The girls will be by to check in on you next, so you better behave.”

“I won’t disappoint them. When are they coming?”

“Two days from now was the plan. They are supposed to swing by after they get out from school. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to know if they are coming or not, now I think about it. Act surprised or you might disappoint them.”

“I’ll try, but you know how horrible of an actor I am.” I walked over to the counter and marked the date. “I’ll pick them up something from Sugar Cube Corner as a treat. That should make up for not being able to surprise me.”

Berry studied me for a moment. “Something is bothering you. I can tell, so don’t deny it.”

I put the quill back in its inkwell and looked up at Berry. “Rarity is thinking about opening a shop in Manehatten. She’s already using Coco’s knowledge of the city to do the preliminary research and scouting she needs.”

Berry’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open. She collected herself and assured me, “That doesn’t mean you have to worry about anything.”

“I would hire her for my shop, if I were opening one there. Coco knows the city, knows fashion trends, and is a skilled designer that could help with any number of projects.” I gave Berry a brave smile. “Rarity would be crazy not to consider hiring her, and it would be an excellent opportunity for Coco.”

Berry nodded. “I agree with your logic, but you’re trying to get into the heads of two different ponies without knowing what they might be planning. Talk to both of them first and then worry if you need to.”

“You’re right, but I can help but think...” I took a breath before finishing, “We might have to try for a long distance relationship, which most likely wouldn’t work out for her or me.”

Berry came around the counter and gave me a hug. “It will be okay. Talk to Coco, be honest and tell her your feelings and fears. I’m sure she will do the same with you and you two can discuss what this could mean for the both of you.”

“Do I have any right to even interject myself into her considerations? There is part of me that says I should savor the time I’ve had with her and enjoy the days I’ll have with her before she goes as best I can and let her go.”

“While you’re being very considerate,” Berry pulled back and tapped my forehead with a hoof, “you’re using this too much.” She lowered her hoof and tapped my chest over my heart. “What does this say?”

“I want her to be happy, but I don’t want her to be that far away.”

“Think positive. What if being here is what makes her happy? Besides going back to help with the play, she hasn’t seemed too eager to head back to Manehatten.” Berry gave me an encouraging smile. “I think one reason for that is you.”

“I can only hope.”

“You owe it to both of you to tell her how you feel.” Berry shook my shoulder. “Let her make the choice, but let her make an informed choice.”

I put my hoof over hers. “I can’t argue with any of that. I promise; I will talk to her after she gets back.”

Berry put her other hoof over mine and gave me a supportive look. “Loving somepony is a wonderful problem isn’t it? Admit it.”

“There’s part of me that is scared if I stop to think on how much I care about Coco that things will fall apart and it will be more painful when they do.”

“You two will make it.” Berry gave me a grin. “Trust me. I know my blends berry well.”

I grinned back at her. “That reminds me. I’ve been out of wine for a few days now. While I’m running errands this evening, I’ll stop by your place.”

“We can discuss the others wines Coco might like when you come over.” She booped my nose with a hoof. “I better quit distracting you and get going.”

“You’re never a distraction and you’re always welcome. Thank you for checking in on me.”

“That’s what friends are for,” Berry replied, as she walked out.

*****

“You have a wonderful evening,” I told Barrel and Berry, putting my hoof on the door handle.

“You have a good one too,” Barrel said, and waved.

“Thank you again for the purchases!” Berry told me.

I stepped outside the shop and double checked to make sure I had secured the strap on the pouches I had put the wine in. “If I dump those on the ground, right outside the shop, I’ll be in berry big trouble,” I told myself.

“Pin!”

I looked around for who called my name and saw Rarity hurrying toward me.

“There you are! I’ve been running all over town to find you!” Rarity trotted up. She was out of breath when she told me, “You weren’t at your shop and I had no idea where you went.”

“Are you okay? What’s going on?”

“I hate to do this, but I have to ask. Can you-” Rarity’s cutie mark chimed and flashed with light, interrupting her.

“Be patient,” Rarity said, looking back towards her flank. “I was about to tell him.”

“Perhaps I’ll hold off on the wine this evening.” I shook my head, trying to clear my head of what just happened. “Seems like the samples Berry gave me were more than enough.”

“You’re fine,” Rarity said with a suffering smile. “This happens to my cutie mark when there is a friendship problem I need to assist with.”

“It’s an interesting way to get your attention.”

“It’s effective.” Rarity gave her flank a reproachful glance. “It can have rather poor timing though. Trying to explain why my cutie mark chimes and lights up to a customer is always an interesting conversation.”

I suppressed a grin. “I can only imagine. What can I do to help?”

“I have to leave for Manehatten for a few days to help somepony with a friendship problem. Would you be a dear and check in on the shop?” Rarity smiled as my ears pinned back. “Don’t worry. Fluttershy will take care of Opal.”

“Thank Celestia and Luna both,” I said under my breath.

Rarity gave me an unhappy look. “She’s not that bad.”

“She despises me and enjoys tormenting me whenever she can, and you know it.”

Rarity paused and put a hoof to her chin as if in thought. “Come to think of it, she’s not all that keen on Thunderlane either.”

“I’m seeing a pattern,” I grumbled.

“She can get a touch jealous if she thinks somepony could be a rival for my affections, I’ll admit.”

“That’s an understatement,” I said. “Thunderlane better keep one eye open when he sleeps.”

“Let’s change subjects back to the original one, before you disparage my cat further,” Rarity suggested.

I gave Rarity a slight bow. “I would be glad to check in on the shop for you.”

“Thank you so much.” Rarity sighed in relief. “I hate to ask, knowing how busy you are, but everypony else is tied up.”

“Your shop is in good hooves,” I assured. “If you run into Coco while you’re up there, say hello for me.”

“Manehatten is a big city. I doubt we’ll bump into her, but if we do I’ll send her your love.” Rarity tittered at my resulting blush. “Is there anything in particular you would want me to tell her?”

“I hope she is having a good time.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “That’s all?”

“I would say more, but it feels odd having you deliver this kind of message to her.”

“You have my word, if I see her, I will do my best to confer your emotions and your message as true as I can,” Rarity promised.

“Then tell her ‘I miss you and am counting the days till you get back’.” I smiled and added: “I have read the Pony of the Opera and am enjoying the second book. I look forward to talking about the former and trying some of the techniques to help you recover from your trip from the latter, if you are up for it.”

Rarity titled her head. “Second book?”

I enjoyed the moment or two she took to put things together more than I should have.

Rarity’s eyes widened and she blushed. “I will not be telling her such a thing!”

I gave Rarity an innocent smile. “It’s just a book on giving massages and papering the pony you care for. She deserves special treatment after donating so much of her time and making that long trip back.”

“Oh, ha, ha. Coco told me about the titles of the other books your mother left for her.”

“And you jumped to the conclusion I was referring to one of those books rather than Aloe and Lotus’ Guide to Showing Affection and Appreciation to Your Special Somepony.” I made a wounded noise and put my hoof to my chest. “I am stung you think so little of me.”

Rarity retorted, “After the exhibitionist ear nibbling scene the other day, I have had to reevaluate some of my thoughts about you.”

“I was the nibbled, not the nibbler,” I reminded her. “My displays of affection with Coco have been discreet.”

Rarity let her act of being offended drop and gave me a smile. “Coco’s coming here has changed you. You’re so much more open and relaxed now.”

For an instant, I felt searing indignation at Rarity for saying such a thing, knowing she could lead Coco away from Ponyville. After reigning in my emotions, I told her, “I cannot tell you how much Coco has helped and inspired me or how much I value her affection and friendship.”

Rarity paused. She started to say something just as Applejack’s voice cut across the square: “Rarity! There you are! We’ve got to get a move on if we’re goin’ to make the train!”

“I’ll meet you at my place as soon as I can,” Rarity called to Applejack.

“I hope everything works out as quickly as possible,” I said to Rarity.

“As do I,” Rarity said in a half sigh. “I have so many orders coming in and so little time. If I am gone too long, this could turn into a disaster. I wish Coco were here to help. She can work miracles.”

I nodded in agreement. “She certainly can.”

“Darling, I-”

“Rarity, we need to get a move on!” Applejack insisted as she trotted up to Rarity and me.

“I’ll quit distracting her,” I told Applejack and took a step back. “You two have a safe trip.”

“I’ll tell Coco your message and give her a hug for you, if I see her,” Rarity said, as Applejack led her away.

“Thank you!” I waved at them as they walked away. “Good luck!”

“Thanks!” Applejack called back. “Considerin’ where we’re goin’ we’re goin’ to need it just to find the pony with the problem!”

As I walked home, I scolded myself for my emotional flare up at Rarity. You should be nothing but grateful to her, I told myself. If it wasn’t for Rarity you would never have even met Coco.

A panicked voice from above broke my self-chastising, “Pin, dodge left and roll!”

Without thinking, I did as the voice commanded. As I rolled, I saw a blur of gray legs and wings accompanied by a flash of golden mane and tail go tumbling by.

I got to my hooves and looked around. Muffins lay sprawled out on the path to the shop, her mailbags tangled around her legs.

“This was today’s last delivery too!” Muffins fumed at herself, while giving futile kicks to get free of the mailbags’ straps. “I almost made the day without crashing or damaging anything!”

“Hang on Muffins, you’ve caught yourself.” As I helped her get the mailbags loose from her legs, I asked, “Are you okay?”

“Nothing broken that I can tell.” Muffins rolled to her belly and then got to her hooves. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I told her, “thanks to your warning.”

She looked toward my saddlebags. “What about your stuff?”

I helped Muffins get on her hooves. “I let the saddlebags slide off me, when I rolled. I’m sure everything’s fine.”

“Mom!” a filly’s voice yelled. “Are you all right?!”

Muffins looked down the path and gave the fast approaching unicorn filly a comforting smile. “I’m fine, sweetie. I nearly ran into Pin, but he got out of the way in time.”

Dinky ran up to Muffins and gave her a hug. “It looked horrible.”

“Nothing is bruised but my pride,” Muffins said and nuzzled Dinky while giving her a hug back.

I picked up the mailbags and offered them to Muffins. “Your mom’s tough,” I told Dinky. “She can take a lump a lot better than I can.”

“You can dodge, though,” Muffins said. “I just crash into things.” She took her mailbags and rummaged around in one pouch. “I hope your letter made it out as well as you did. It was a special rush delivery.”

Dinky used her magic and levitated my saddlebags from the ground. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” I told her, taking the bags.

“Check what’s in them,” Muffins said. “I’ll pay for anything that got ruined.”

“Muffins, it wouldn’t be a big deal, even if something was.” I opened the flaps on the saddle bags and showed their contents to her. “See? Nothing was broken and my groceries are fine.”

Muffins winced as she pulled out a crumpled envelope from her bags. “I wish I could say your letter came out the same.”

I took the letter from Muffins and smiled. “One or two wrinkles won’t hurt anything.”

“Are you okay?” Time Turner asked, as he trotted towards us. “Dinky said she thought she saw you going down a little too sharp and took off like an arrow.”

“She is a better pegasus than I am,” Muffins said, patting Dinky on the shoulder. “All I can manage is to crash into things and knock ponies over. Maybe I could ask Princess Twilight to change me into another kind of pony so I wouldn’t be such a hazard.”

“We can’t have talk like that,” Time Turner said and kissed Muffin’s nose. “We love our Bright Eyes just as you are, and you losing your beautiful plumage would be a tragedy.”

Muffin’s blushed. “Turner, we’re in public.”

“So we are, but that does not mean I can’t complement my wife for begin the wonderful, attractive mare she is.”

Muffins gave Turner a light scolding: “I thought we agreed to no pet names.”

Turner put a hoof to his chin. “I remember you suggesting it, but I don’t recall agreeing to it.”

Dinky gave me a smile that begged that we ignore her parents. “I’m glad you’re feeling better. Piña and Pinch said their Mom checked in on you today.”

“Thank you, but I haven’t been sick. Berry wanted to make sure I’m taking care of myself and don’t overwork with all the orders coming in for the celebration is all.”

“Mom’s been flying her tail off helping deliver the letters to get everything set up.” Dinky’s ears folded back and she looked to the ground. “I wish I could help.”

“You are going to be helping,” Muffins said. She prodded Dinky with a wing. “Go on. Tell him about what you got chosen to do.”

Dinky blushed and told me, “I got selected to be on the school’s Celebration Party Student Committee.”

“Congratulations!” I shook her hoof and asked, “What are you going to be doing?”

“We’ll be working with Miss Cheerillee and Pinkie Pie to set up the school’s part of the celebration. We haven’t gotten started yet, so I’m not sure what we’ll be doing.”

Muffins puffed up with pride. “Dinky was nominated and voted into the position by her classmates.”

“Who are you going to be working with?” I asked.

“Rumble, Piña, and Twist,” Dinky named. “We’re supposed to have our first meeting tomorrow.”

“Sounds like a great group.”

Dinky gave the ground a worried scuffing. “I hope so. Everypony in our class is counting on us.”

“You’ll do great,” Turner assured Dinky and patted her on the back.

“I have to go,” Muffins said. “I need to check in and return the mailbags before my shift ends.”

Turner gave Muffins a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll have dinner going, by the time you get home.”

“Thank you.” Muffins nuzzled Turner and gave Dinky a hug, complete with wings. “I’ll see you both in a little bit.” Muffins let Dinky go, and then moved a few steps away from us.

Turner waved, as Muffins took to the air. “See you at home.”

“Take care you two.” I told Dinky and Turner.

“We will, and you too,” Turner responded.

“Congratulations again!” I called to Dinky.

“Thank you!” Dinky said and waved back at me as she and Turner walked away.

I made my way into the shop and up to my apartment. After entering the kitchen, I put my saddlebags on the counter and sat down at the table with the letter.

“This has to be from Satin,” I told myself, seeing the return address. “It’s not her writing, though.”

I opened the envelope and read the enclosed letter:

Pin,

Mom and Dad told me about seeing you during their trip. They said you were willing to talk with me again and have me stay there for a few days. If you truly want me to visit, please write me back.

Considering my behavior during my last visits, you have every right to refuse this request. I would not hold it against you if you do, but I need my big brother right now.

Satin

Unlike the envelope, the letter was in Satin’s writing. “Sis, what in Equestria is going on?” I asked the empty room. I got up from the table and went into the study, which also served as an impromptu library and office. I sat down at Nana and Grandfather’s desk and wrote a return letter:

Dear Satin,

Mom and Dad are worried about you, which is making me worried about you. You have always been the tougher of the two of us. If something is bothering you, it has to be something big.

Neither of us was at our best the last couple of times we have seen each other. I said things to you I am not proud of. I want to see you again. I want to listen and help. I want my older sister back.

Tell me when you will arrive, and I will have things ready for you.

Love,

Pin

I put my letter in an envelope and got it ready to take to the post office and have it expressed to Canterlot. I said to the letter, as if Satin could hear me through it: “I hope I can help, Sis. Even if I can’t, I’ll be glad to see you and talk with you again.”

*****

I looked up at the workroom’s clock and smiled. That worked out well, I thought. The girls coming by will give me a nice break before I go diving into the next order.

I put the finished jacket and my tools away and went to the storefront. I did some dusting while waiting for Piña and Pinch to arrive. I was about through cleaning the whole storefront, when I realized that they were later than I thought they would be. I checked the store’s clock, getting a little worried about what could have delayed them.

The store’s welcome bell rang, and I felt a rush of relief. “Welcome,” I said as if I had no idea anypony in particular was coming. “Please feel free to look around. I will be right with you.”

“Hello Uncle Pin!” Piña said in a little too bright a tone.

“Good afternoon!” Pinch said, her tone too formal.

“Hello Mister Pin,” greeted a third voice, which I recognized as Dinky’s.

I put the feather duster down and turned towards them. “Good afternoon. What brought you three here?”

Dinky gave me a nervous smile. “We were talking-”

Piña gave a huff and glanced at Pinch, who kept her pleasant but strained expression.

“-and when they realized what time it was they said they needed to come see you,” Dinky finished. “Since Mom nearly crashed into you yesterday, I came along to check on you too,”

“I’m doing fine. How’s Muffins?”

“She’s sore, but she didn’t hurt anything,” Dinky reported.

“Mom asked us to ask you if you were eating and sleeping right,” Piña said.

Pinch nodded in agreement.

My suspicion something was wrong grew at Pinch’s continued silence and her deliberate efforts not to look toward Piña.

“I have been eating and sleeping as I should,” I told them. “I’ve also been exercising in the morning. You can tell her I have not been training like I was when I got myself into trouble, so she doesn’t worry.”

Pinch asked, breaking her silence, “Have you heard anything from Miss Coco?”

“No, but she hasn’t been gone that long. I’m sure she’s super busy too, getting everything set up for the show.”

“She’s you’re special somepony!” Piña said shocked. “She should write you to tell you she made it there safe at least.”

“I haven’t written to her either, so I’m just being just as bad of a special somepony.”

“Do you have her address?” Piña asked.

I thought for a second. “Now you mention it, I don’t think I do.”

“I bet Miss Rarity has it,” Pinch said.

“I’m sure you’re right,” I agreed. “I would ask her for it, but Rarity is out of town.”

“Rats!” Piña said. “You could have gotten some bonus points.”

“I don’t think that’s quite how things work,” Pinch said.

“He could at least give it a try,” Piña said with too much force in her voice.

I thought up a quick plan to find out what was going on between them. “I have a confession to make. I knew you two were coming.”

“It had to be Mom,” Pinch said, looking disappointed.

“She spilled the beans, didn’t she?” Piña asked, her ears pinned back. “We were hoping we could surprise you.”

“Yes, but I’m glad she did. That gave me the chance to get some cupcakes for you from Sugar Cube Corner.”

Piña’s ears snapped back up, she smiled, and her tail swished back and forth. “You got us cupcakes?!”

“You can have one now, if you’d like. I have some ready for you to take home too.”

“I better go,” Dinky said, sounding embarrassed.

“You’re welcome to have some too,” I offered. “There are more than enough. I can package some up for you too.” I looked past the fillies and used my magic to swap out the store’s open sign for my ‘Will Return Soon’ sign.

“Come on Dinky,” Piña insisted. “Have a cupcake with us.”

“You sure?” Dinky asked me.

“Very,” I responded. “Would you like me to bring them down here or come up with me?”

“Could we come up?” Piña asked.

“Sure.” I led the way up to the apartment and into the kitchen. I grabbed them each a cupcake and put them on plates. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” the fillies said in chorus as I served the cupcakes.

I went back to the counter and pulled together what I would need to send a portion of the cupcakes home with Dinky.

“These are so good,” Piña said.

“They are!” Dinky said.

Her mouth full, Pinch made a hum of enjoyment and nodded.

Dinky put her cupcake down and asked me, “What was in the letter that Mom brought you?”

“It was a message from Satin.”

Dinky seemed to recognize the name. “That’s your sister, right?”

“She is. I think she’s going through something serious, and I want to help, but I can’t right now. It’s driving me to distraction.”

Piña glanced at Pinch and needled, “Sisters can do that to us”

“I’m not your sister, I’m your niece,” Pinch reminded Piña. “And I’m fine.”

“No you’re not!” Piña snapped. “You’re just acting like you are!”

Dinky sighed and told me, “They’ve been about to argue all afternoon.”

“I could tell something was wrong. What’s going on?”

“She should have been the one on the committee!” Piña said and poked Pinch in the shoulder. “She has all these great ideas, and she wants to meet the princesses and the changeling that’s coming and-”

“And I’m fine,” Pinch said.

“You cried!” Piña put her hooves on Pinch’s shoulders. “I know you didn’t want me to know, and you acted like you didn’t, but you did.” Piña looked as if she would cry herself.

“Piña, it’s okay,” Pinch assured.

“No it’s not!” Piña insisted. “If getting on the committee was based on what somepony could do, you would have gotten on it. You should have gotten nominated, not me! You’re the one that deserves it!” Piña sniffed. “I’ll resign, if it would make you feel better.”

“Don’t you dare!” Pinch hugged Piña. “They need you on the committee, and you will do a great job.” Pinch rubbed Piña’s back with a hoof. “You can present my ideas, if you think they will work.”

Dinky moved so she could hug both Piña and Pinch. “I’ll help get your ideas out there too.”

“That’s still not going to get the princesses to come visit the class,” Piña said.

“Don’t bring the princesses into this,” Pinch begged. “I wanted to meet Princess Cadance and her family because of the books she wrote. I thought if I couldn’t get to Empire, I might somehow finagle a way to meet them while they were here.” Pinch touched her forehead to Piña’s. “You were the right choice. You’re working for the class, I would have been doing things for myself and helping the class second.”

“You still would have done a good job,” Piña said. “I wish there was a way we could figure out how to sneak you into what we will be doing.”

I smiled as a thought struck me. “Dinky, is anypony serving as a go between for the school and the castle?”

Dinky shook her head and said, “Not that I know of.”

“I have an idea then.”

“You do?” Piña asked.

“Pinch, would you be willing to be a messenger and help Spike get things ready for the celebration?” I asked. “From what I can tell, he’s been running himself ragged trying to get everything ready. He could use the help.”

Dinky gave Pinch a teasing look and giggled. “They spend enough time in the library together I’m sure she wouldn’t mind working with him.”

“Dinky!” Pinch protested, blushing. “He just helps me get the books I want and talks with me.”

Piña’s smile returned. “You two have been scolded for being too loud in the library by Miss Starlight too much for just that.”

“Okay, we’re friends!” Pinch confessed. “He’s funny, smart, and I like talking to him about his adventures and his visits to the Empire.”

Piña’s eyebrows rose. “Are we talking about you being Dinky and Pipsqueak level ‘friends’ with him?”

“Leave me and Pip out of this!” Dinky gave Piña a slight push on the shoulder. “At least we don’t hide we like each other, even if we’re not special someponies.”

“Yet,” Piña teased.

“Sounds to me they’re more like you and Rumble,” Dinky served back. “He spent all that time helping you train for the Sisterhooves Social but neither of you will admit you have crushes for each other.”

Piña blushed, her ears folded back, and she grinned, but she did not say a word in response.

I’m the one reading books on emotions and relationships, and I can’t even get a coltfriend,” Pinch muttered.

“Maybe you should try going for a special somedragon instead.” Piña waggled her eyebrows. “Dinky‘s right, seems you’re off to a good start already.”

Pinch protested, “He’s nearly twice my age!”

“In pony years,” Dinky pointed out. “He’s still young for a dragon.”

“Him being older may not be a bad thing. Think of all the books he’s read you two could discuss.” Piña grinned and added, “You two could grow up together and become the castle’s next librarians and live happily ever after with each other and your books and stories.”

Pinch responded with an indignant snort.

“I’ll write a recommendation letter to Spike for you real quick.” I nodded toward the other end of the apartment. “Why don’t you three come back to the study and get in Nana’s nest while I write. It shouldn’t take too long.”

Dinky titled her head at me and asked, “ Nana’s nest?”

“It’s the best thing ever!” Piña said. “It’s Nana’s special chair sort of thing that’s made from a real cloud.”

Dinky looked at Pinch with a confused expression.

Pinch explained, “It’s a big beanbag made of magical cloth and stuffed with a cloud.”

Dinky’s eyes widened. “That has to be fantastic.”

“It is!” Piña said, prancing in place.

“You can try it out,” I invited, as we headed for the study. “Grandfather made the chair for Nana after she told him she wished she could share being on a cloud with him. He designed the chair using ideas from traditional pegasus cloud furniture. He even enchanted the cloth it’s made from to hold the cloud.”

“Nana used to read to Piña and me and snuggle us in it,” Pinch said, sounding sad.

“Nana wouldn’t like you being down while thinking about her,” I told Pinch and opened the study door. “Remember what she told us, ‘I only want happy thoughts about me?’ ”

Pinch put on a smile and nodded. “I remember.”

“You three get comfortable and I’ll get writing,” I said, sitting down at the desk.

“I’m in the middle!” Piña declared and trotted to Nana’s nest.

“It looks like a huge beanbag on stilts,” Dinky said, leaning down so she could inspect the wooden stand beneath the cloud cushion.”

The fillies settled into the chair as I wrote to Spike.

“Mister Pin,” Dinky said, “I don’t mean to be nosy, but I thought you weren’t talking with your sister.”

“I wasn’t,” I told her. “But I’m not going to be a complete jerk and not help her because we fought.”

Piña said, in an uncharacteristic growl: “We wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t help her. Your sister is a mean lady.”

“What did she do?” Dinky asked, shocked by Piña’s reaction.

“She said all kinds of things about Tie, Nana, Mom and Dad, me, and my grandparents,” Pinch said. “She tried to bully Uncle Pin into going back to Canterlot too.”

“That’s horrible!” Dinky said aghast.

“She tried to steal Pinch too!” Dinky hugged Pinch to her as if protecting a stuffed toy from being taken. “Nopony is taking my niece from me.”

“She offered to help Pinch get into Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns,” I clarified for Dinky. “I don’t think that quite counts as stealing her.”

“It’s close enough,” Piña said. “She’d have been gone, and it would have been that awful mare’s fault.”

Pinch tapped Dinky’s foreleg with a hoof. “Piña, I need air!” she wheezed.

“Sorry!” Piña loosened her hold on Pinch. “I keep forgetting how strong I am now.”

“It’s okay,” Pinch told her, after getting a good breath. She hugged Piña back. “I would never leave you to go to some snobby school that doesn’t even teach the things I’m interested in. You know that right?”

Piña nuzzled Pinch and rested her forehead on Pinch’s shoulder. “I know, but it scared me real bad back then.”

“It looks like training with Rumble paid off,” Dinky teased Piña. “Don’t squeeze him like that, though. You might break him.”

Piña glanced up and gave Dinky a nasty look.

Ignoring Piña, Dinky asked me, “Who is Tie?”

“My grandfather, Silk Tie,” I answered and put my quill back in its inkwell. I put the finished letter into an envelope and addressed it to Spike. “Here we go.”

“Part of me wants to deliver the letter, but this is so nice I want to stay right where I am.” Piña adjusted her hold on Pinch and wiggled into Dinky. “Nana and Grandpa could have sold these and made a fortune.”

I fought to keep the sadness out of my voice, as I responded, “I think she and Grandfather had discussed something like that, but...”

Pinch gave me a comforting smile. “Remember what Nana said.”

I smiled back and nodded. “I’m trying.”

Dinky prodded Piña’s shoulder with a hoof. “Come on girls, we have a delivery to make, before the library closes, and Mister Pin has to get back to work.”

“You take after your Mom,” Piña teased, as she let go of Pinch.

“Getting messages to ponies is an important job.” Dinky climbed out of the nest. “I’m glad Pinch is going to be our messenger. She’s super reliable.”

“Thank you.” Pinch rolled out of the nest and onto her hooves. “I’ll do my best, if Spike and Twilight agree to the idea.”

Dinky gave Pinch a teasing smile. “I’m sure he will. With all the time you spend in the library, I’m sure Twilight will too.”

Piña poked her nose over the edge of the nest and sighed. “I guess I have to get out don’t I?”

Pinch booped Piña on the nose with a hoof. “Maybe you can hire Uncle Pin to make you one.”

I laughed. “I can’t wrangle clouds by myself and I’m not sure I could enchant the cloth either. I think there are others out there that create furniture like this, but you have to get it special order.”

“Drat.” Piña slid from the nest. “That means it would be really expensive.”

I gave Pinch the letter. “Here you go, one recommendation letter.”

Pinch gave me a hug. “Thank you, Uncle Pin.”

“You may not thank me after you realize how much work you will be doing,” I warned and gave her a hug back.

“I don’t care if I have to work my tail off.” Pinch looked up at me with determination. “I want things to go right for everypony.”

“With a cupcake as a bribe, a letter of recommendation, and if you bat your eyelashes at him and act cute, there’s no way he’d say no,” Piña said.

“Piña!” Pinch blushed. “There’s no food allowed in the library.”

“We’ll lure him out,” Dinky said with a devious smile. “I bet Miss Starlight will help us, if we ask her to.”

“I’m not going to act cute either,” Pinch said and put her nose in the air, “that would be manipulative and could hurt our long-term friendship.”

“So you’re thinking about ‘long term’ with him already,” Piña teased.

Pinch looked at me as if asking for help.

I chuckled. "Let’s go get your cupcakes and then you three can see if your plan, whatever it will be, works.”

“Come on! Let’s go get a dragon for my niece!” Piña cheered, as she led Dinky and Pinch out of the study.

“I’m volunteering, not asking to be his special somepony!” Pinch protested.

“One could lead to the other,” Dinky joked.

I shook my head and thought, I might owe Spike another favor or two after this one.