• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,669 Views, 270 Comments

Pinning the Heart - Random_User



With Twilight holding court, more and more ponies come to visit Ponyville. Royal Pin, the only tailor in Ponyville, has too much business to handle by himself. When he hires help to ease the pressure, he finds a partner in business and love.

  • ...
5
 270
 1,669

Chapter 30

Before I came full awake, I felt something was off in the house. I sat up and looked around Mom and Dad’s den. Celestia’s sun’s light was just visible behind the curtains and cast portions of the room in a soft orange and yellow glow.

I stayed still and listened. Somepony was moving around in the kitchen. It seemed to me, from the cautious sounds they were making, they were trying to stay quiet.

Spurred by my curiosity and instincts, I got up and went to investigate.

I looked into the kitchen and paused. Mom was pulling out the items she would need to make breakfast, looking haunted and half focused on what she was doing.

“Mom?” said, as I stepped into the room.

She jumped at my voice, and her magic’s grip on a serving spoon failed.

I caught the serving spoon with my magic before it hit the floor.

“Pin, why are you not still asleep?”

I levitated the spoon to the counter. “Something told me I needed to be up.”

She smiled at me. “Always looking out for others.”

“I didn’t get this safety pin with a heart on it on my flank for nothing,” I kidded. “What’s wrong?”

Mom turned away from me to face the counter. “I thought I would get breakfast going a little early, since we are going to have so many ponies to cook for this morning.”

“Mom.” When she turned back to look at me, I took her in a hug. “What’s wrong?”

Mom returned my hug. “It is a pegasus and she has said nothing to me or your father.” I must have tensed up a little and Mom felt it. “She told you, though. Did she not?”

I nodded. “She made me promise not to tell anypony. They haven’t gotten anything checked out, so she’s not sure.”

Mom snorted in a way that conveyed she did not buy my explanation. “I knew with her what she was going to be and I knew with you. Satin is my daughter.” Mom stated with certainty, “She knows what her foal is going to be.”

I hugged her tighter. “If she thought she was going to hurt you by not telling you, she would have said something.”

“You cannot know that for certain. You know she can be unpredictable when she feels stressed or threatened.”

Another uncomfortable silence came over us. I broke the quiet by asking, “What made you think that Satin knows the foal’s a pegasus?”

“The way she had the brochures I had given her were arranged on the coffee table. She had placed the ones for earth pony and unicorn schools to the side and had arranged the information on the pegasus schools in the way she does when she is concentrating on a project.”

Leave it to you, to be that observant, I thought to myself. I hadn’t even noticed the pattern, much less made a connection from the brochures to what the foal was going to be.

Mom took a breath as if to bolster herself. “I have thought, more than once, your father and I were lucky to get invitations to the wedding.”

“Mom, that’s absurd.”

Tears went down Mom’s face. “I wish it were. Satin did not tell us she was seeing somepony. She did not tell us she was expecting. She has not told me or your father she knows what the foal would be. Every time I have I have offered her help she gets defensive and icy.” Mom’s tone was hollow, as she told me, “If they move, which I am certain they will, I do not think I will see the foal, or her, after that.”

“Mom, stop. You’re making connections to things that might have nothing to do with each other.” I rubbed her back with a hoof. “Have you talked with her about what you’re thinking?”

Mom shook her head. “No.”

Despite the situation, I chuckled. “Dad talks to ponies about their thoughts and feelings too much and you don’t talk to ponies about them near enough.”

I turned my head toward the kitchen door, as hoofsteps approached.

Pinch poked her head around the door frame in a slow, cautious way. When her eyes met mine, she looked heart broken.

“What’s going on?” Piña whispered from somewhere behind Pinch.

“Aunt Study’s crying and Uncle Pin’s trying to help,” Pinch whispered back in a sad tone.

“I told you something didn’t feel right.” Piña appeared in the doorway and looked me and Mom over. “Sis, go get Mom. I’ll help Uncle Pin.”

“I am fine,” Mom said, pulling away from me. “I am still emotional and tired from the wedding is all.”

“That’s not all that’s going on,” Pinch said, as she and Piña came into the kitchen.

As if knowing what the other was thinking, Piña and Pinch took Mom into a hug.

Mom hugged the girls back, but her expression seemed to become more troubled as she held the fillies.

Coco’s voice came from the hallway. “Pin, are you in the kitchen? The girls got out of bed and they haven’t...” Coco’s words faltered, as she stepped into the kitchen and took in the scene. “What’s wrong?” she asked, as her ears fell in worry.

“Mom’s having a rough morning,” I said. “I think the last couple of days have been a bit much.”

“Oh no.” Coco moved to stand beside me. “Is there anything we can do to help?”

“No, but thank you,” Mom said and gave a poor attempt at a smile. “I will be fine, in a moment.”

“Dear, you are a terrible liar,” Dad said, as he came into the kitchen. “Girls, may I have my wife?”

Piña and Pinch let go of Mom and stepped aside.

Dad approached Mom and wrapped her in his forelegs in a tender hug. “You have not been ‘fine’ in days.” He gave her temple a nuzzle. “You had me worried. I turned over and reached for you and you weren’t in the bed. When I couldn’t hear you moving around, I knew something wasn’t right.” Dad looked towards me as if expecting an explanation.

“Please, let us let this go,” Mom said. “I have caused a big enough disturbance to everypony as it is.”

“I don’t know what is going on, but you need to talk to somepony about it,” Pinch said.

“She needs to talk to Satin,” Dad said to her. He looked at me. “Am I right?”

“All right, who is setting off my herding instincts?” Berry asked, as she joined us in the kitchen. Her ears fell, when she saw Mom and Dad. “Oh, Study! What’s wrong?!”

Piña and Pinch hugged Berry as if needing comfort themselves. “She won’t tell anypony,” Pinch said.

“I am worrying about things I have no control over,” Mom said.

“Is it about Satin?” Berry said.

“In part, if I had to guess,” Dad said. He kissed Mom’s head and rested his lips on her mane. “Is she right?”

“Dear, please,” Mom begged. “Let us not do this with everypony here.”

“Take her to the den and hold her until you get something out of her,” Berry said to Dad. “Pin and I will get breakfast going.”

“We can help,” Piña said.

There was a knock on the front door.

“I’ll get it,” Coco said, and trotted out of the kitchen.

“That will be the boys and Rarity,” Mom said. “They offered to come help with breakfast and bring the cart for everypony to tote their luggage with.” Mom pulled away from Dad and dried her eye with a hoof. “Let me go make myself presentable, and I will be right back down.”

“Slight change of plans,” Berry said. “You go with Study and take care of her,” Berry told Dad. “Girls, you’re in charge of getting the place settings in here and the dinning room ready.” Pin, you’ll be on cooking duty with me, Rumble, and Thunderlane.” She stopped, as she looked at somepony coming into the room. “What are you doing here this early?!”

“Mom?!” Satin trotted up to Mom and hugged her. “What’s wrong?!”

Mom, tear stains still on her cheeks, told Satin, “It is nothing to concern yourself with. I am being too emotional is all.”

Satin snorted. “You’re a horrible liar.”

Dad gave an uneasy bark of a laugh. “I told her much the same.”

“Coco said you were having trouble.” Satin touched her horn to Mom’s. “Talk to me.”

Mom remained silent.

Satin turned her attention to me and gave me a look that told me, “I know you know something.”

“She is worried about where things are heading with you and the foal,” I said, putting a slight emphasis on ‘where’ and ‘foal’ I hoped she would pick up on.

Satin looked puzzled for a second, then her eyes widened. She turned back to Mom and took her hoof. “Mom, why don’t you come with me for a bit? I’ll help you get back to looking yourself.”

Mom sniffed, nodded, and let Satin guide her out of the kitchen.

Everypony turned toward me and stared.

“What?” I asked, starting to feel anxious.

“What did you tell her and about what?” Piña said.

“What did I tell who?”

“Don’t act like you don’t know,” Piña said. “I do that trick with Berry and Pinch all the time.”

“I have no clue what you’re talking about,” I said, grinning and feigning ignorance.

“Siblings, and aunts in this case, know,” Berry said. She poked me in the ribs with a hoof. “Talk.”

I shook my head. “I can’t.”

“You made a promise, didn’t you?” Pinch asked.

“I did,” I said.

“Would I be interfering if I go check on them?” Dad asked.

“I don’t think so,” I said. “Just-” I paused, not knowing how to phrase what I wanted to say.

“I will be as gentle as I can with both of them,” Dad assured me. He patted me on the shoulder, as he walked past. “Get breakfast going. We’ll be down in a minute or two.”

I nodded. I watched him walk out the kitchen door and took a deep breath.

“Mom, Sis,” Pinch said.

“Got him,” Berry said and grabbed me in a hug from the side. The girls took the opportunity and hugged me too.

“You can’t make that face,” Pinch said. “I’m already close to crying because we’re going to be leaving soon. You can’t make it worse, or I will.”

“I’ll try not to,” I gave her a light squeeze. “No crying Pinches today, if I can help it.”

“Please, tell us one thing, even if you can’t say anything else,” Piña said. “Is the foal okay?”

“Yes,” I assured her. “As far as I know, the foal is fine.”

“Is Aunt Satin okay?” Piña pressed.

“She’s fine too,” I said.

Piña sighed in relief. “Good.”

*****

“Piña,” Barrel called. “Finish up your hug. We need to get in our seats.”

“Put your head on my stomach one more time.” As Pina did so, Satin told her, “The next time we see each other you’ll be an aunt.”

“I’ll see you then,” Piña said and gave Satin’s belly a light nuzzle. She turned and hurried to Barrel, who let her on the train first.

“We’ll see you soon,” Barrel said to us still on the platform and stepped onto the train.

“Even though I know we will see them in soon, it stings to watch them go,” Rarity said.

“It does,” Coco said.

“They’re family to all of us,” Dad said. “Sharing blood has little to do with who you care for.”

“Well said,” Rarity agreed as she hugged Coco from the side with a foreleg.

“We need to take off ourselves,” Storm Chaser said. He gave Satin a hug. “Take care of yourself and the little one.”

“I will,” Satin said.

Summer Rain gave Satin a hug next. She paused and touched Satin’s belly with her wing. “You behave for her.” She raised her wing and touched Satin’s cheek. “Take care, love. As soon as things get going, send a message.”

“I will,” Satin said. “We’re still a bit off from anything happening, though.”

“It will come faster than you think,” Summer Rain assured Satin. She gave a hug to Stormbreaker. “Take care of her.”

“I’ll take care of them both,” Stormbreaker promised.

As the train pulled away, we waved at it. I thought I glimpsed a trio of smaller ponies waving back from a window, but I was not sure.

“Ready?” Storm Chaser asked his wife.

“One moment,” she said and hugged Stormbreaker. “Love you.”

“I love you too, Mom,” he said and gave her a hug back.

After letting go of Stombreaker, Summer Rain sniffed. “Okay, we need to go or I’m going to cry.”

Stormbreaker’s parents launched themselves into the air and flew toward Cloudsdale.

Satin took in a breath and swallowed. “I knew it was going to be sad, but...”

Stormbreaker wrapped a wing around her. “We’ll see them soon.” He touched Satin’s stomach with a hoof and then gave it a gentle pat. “We just have to wait for a certain somepony to decide on the time.”

Satin looked towards Coco. “I just thought about something. You’ll be in Manehattan when the foal comes.”

Coco grinned. “That won’t keep me from coming. Get a message to me, and I’ll be here.”

“So, what now for you three?” Satin asked.

“They’re going to the library, and, after he gets Coco settled, then Pin’s coming to my shop,” Rarity stated.

Coco and I both glanced her way.

Satin giggled. “I take it they didn’t know this was the plan.”

“I didn’t,” Coco said and looked toward me.

“No matter how hard you try, I am not doing a fitting with that dress,” I told Rarity, gaining a blank look from her. “It’s fabulous, but that color clashes with my eyes,” I said and batted my eyelashes at her.

Dad guffawed and Mom rolled her eyes.

“If you had that dress in a color that would work with gold, I might think-” I laughed as Rarity swatted my shoulder with a hoof.

“You’re horrible,” Rarity said with a smirk. “Fitting or no, please do come by the boutique after you get our Coco situated at the library.”

“I will,” I promised.

“You’re not going to say anything about the ‘our Coco’?” Satin asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I can share,” I said and leaned so my side touched Coco’s. “It’s only fair, since Rarity shared her first.”

“And you ended up keeping her,” Rarity said in a mock accusatory tone.

“What if she asks for Coco back?” Stormbreaker said.

I grinned. “I will do my best to tempt her to stay with me.”

“And consign herself to half the work space I could offer her?” Rarity said and tossed her mane back in a dismissive way. “And at a haberdasher’s, instead of a lovely boutique, at that.”

“I have enough space at Pin’s.” Coco took my tail with hers. “Besides, it would be hard for me to give up all the pampering he gives me.”

“He is keeping your coat pristine, I’ll grant him that.” Rarity gave Coco a teasing smile. “I do, however, have concern for a certain habit of his involving you.”

Coco tilted her head, making me smile. “Habit?”

“His nibbling of your lovely, delicate ears.” Rarity put on a thoughtful expression. “Now I think about it, since you displayed such a willingness to nibble his too, I guess I should be concerned for his too. However, your ears remain my primary worry, since they’re more accessible for him than his are for you.”

Dad laughed, when he noticed my embarrassed expression.

“If your ears are all he’s been nibbling on, he and I are going to need to have a serious discussion,” Satin said.

Coco blushed and giggled.

“I do not think there will be a need for such a talk,” Mom said, giving me a knowing grin. “After you are through with him, please send him on to our place,” Mom said to Rarity. “We’re going to have a family lunch today.”

Mom’s too casual tone caused warning bells to chime in my head.

“I’ll be sure to,” Rarity said.

“You’re in high demand,” Coco said.

I chuckled, in part to allay the sense of disquiet building in the back of my mind. “It seems so.”

*****

I opened the door to Canterlot Boutique and stepped in.

“There you are,” Sassy said. “I was wondering what happened to you.”

“I visited with my Aunt First Folio for a few minutes,” I said. “I didn’t know I was expected at a certain time.”

“You weren’t, but Rarity gave me a general idea of when she thought you would be here.” She looked to the empty air beside my legs with a wistful look. “I never thought of myself as liking foals, but, now that I’ve spent these last few days around the girls and Rumble, it feels like something’s missing with them not here.”

I turned my head towards the space where Piña and Rumble had stood at my side yesterday. “There is. They add spark to life.” I gave a light snort. “The trade off is quiet and predictability are gone when they are around.”

Sassy laughed. “True, but what is life without a little excitement?”

“I completely agree,” Rarity told Sassy, as she stepped into the storefront. Rarity studied me with a smirk.

After a second or two of her scrutiny, I asked, “What?”

“I was imagining you as a parent,” Rarity said.

“Judging by how he does with the foals, I think he would make a good father,” Sassy said.

“Thank you,” I said and gave her a slight bow.

“I could see him being a wonderful role model for a little colt,” Rarity said. “If he ever had a filly, however, the poor dear wouldn’t stand a chance.”

I felt a slight sting at her words. “What do you mean?”

Rarity giggled. “Darling, don’t take this the wrong way, but a little filly would have you wrapped around her hoof so fast you wouldn’t even know what happened.”

“I could be strict, if I needed to,” I said, puffed up my chest, and tried to look stern. My ears fell, as Rarity and Sassy laughed.

“It would be sweet, but could you imagine Coco as the disciplinarian of the two?” Rarity asked her.

“You’d be surprised,” I said. “Coco can have a firm hoof.”

Rarity and Sassy gave me amused looks.

“Makes one wonder how he knows this,” Rarity said in a less than innocent way.

Sassy grinned at Rarity. “Think of how he would act with a miniature Coco around.”

Rarity giggled. “It would be too precious! I can see him sitting down to tea parties, baking with her, teaching her how to braid her mane and tail, teaching her to dance in the apartment, and all the other precious things doting fathers do.”

“So, pretty much how he acts with the fillies plus a scoop or two more?” Sassy asked.

“Precisely.” Rarity cut her eyes in my direction with a smirk. “We might see such a thing not in the not too distant future, if things continue as they are.”

Doing my best to ignore the full blush that came to my cheeks, I asked, “Beyond giving you the chance to tease me, why did you want me to come by?”

“We wanted to tell you we’re stealing Coco for lunch, so you don’t have to worry about delivering anything to her, if that is what you were planning to do,” Sassy said.

“Does Coco know about this?” I asked.

“She does not,” Rarity said.

There was something in the way Rarity spoke that prompted me to say, “I take it the lunch will not be just a visit.”

Rarity shook her head. “I put in an offer to rent, so long as the location came with an option to buy, on a place in Manehattan for my new shop, and the owner accepted the terms. I got the news when we arrived in Canterlot, but did not want to say anything with all the other activities going on.”

“Congratulations!” I told her, even as an icy feeling went down my spine.

“Thank you,” Rarity said. “During lunch, I plan to ask Coco if she would go with me to Manehattan to help get the store up and running.”

I got the sensation of the floor shifting under my hooves and sat down. Rarity walked up to me as I told her, “I’m sure the new store will be just as successful as your other two.”

“Pin,” she said.

“Is there anything I can do that could he-”

“Pin,” Rarity said, in a softer tone, as she cut me off. “Calm down, breathe, and listen for a moment.”

I nodded and took a breath. “Okay.”

“I need Coco’s help to get the new store going, but I do not know if she’s going to agree to help or, if she does, what extent she would help me.”

“I can’t imagine her not agreeing to help as much as she can.”

“She might not, if she thought it would jeopardize losing something special in her life,” Rarity said in a serious tone.

“If I’m that ‘something special’-”

“You are,” Sassy interjected.

I smiled a bit, despite the weight I felt on my chest. “I’ve told her, and I stand by it, she is always welcome to come home, but she can leave any time and for any length of time,” I told Rarity. My smile slipped and my ears fell, as the thought of Coco's absence sunk in. “I would miss her, while she was gone, though.”

“Where’s Dinky when you need her?” Sassy said with sympathy.

“I can give him a hug too,” Rarity said and wrapped her forelegs around me. “I don’t know what is going to happen for the next little bit. I’m not sure what all I will need Coco for or for how long, either, but I am not planning to ask her to stay there forever.”

I hugged Rarity back. “Don’t worry about me. You’re going to have enough to think about as it is, with getting the shop open.”

Rarity gave me a teasing smile. “I have to take you into consideration, if Coco is involved, especially now that you two completed your courtship.” She let me go and patted my shoulder with a hoof. “I promise, I will do as best I can for both of you.”

*****

I waited, after knocking on Mom and Dad’s door.

A few seconds later, Dad opened the door for me.

His expression caused me to worry. “How is she doing?”

Dad listed: “Distracted. Fragile. Worried.” He studied me for a second. “You’re not much better. What happened?”

“Dear, is Pin here?” Mom asked from the kitchen.

“He is,” Dad replied, looking over his shoulder.

“Perfect! I could use his help.”

“Stress cooking again?” I asked.

Dad nodded. “As much as she has done for lunch, I’m pretty sure dinner is going to be a banquet.” He waved me into the house.

I followed Dad into the kitchen and stared at the amount of food Mom had prepared.

“Satin and Stormbreaker are coming over,” Mom explained, seeing my expression.

“It looks like half of the Royal Guard is too,” I quipped.

“Filter will join us this evening, not for lunch, and, even as big as he is, I doubt he constitutes half the Royal Guard,” Mom zinged back without pausing in what she was doing. “Would you be a dear, and take everything to the dining table?”

Mom’s manner and tone were both off. I glanced at Dad, who gave me a look that told me things were serious.

Using my magic, I took several items from the kitchen to the dining room. As I was setting things down on the table, somepony knocked on the front door.

“I’ll get it,” Dad said.

“Thank you, Dear,” Mom called.

I stepped back into the kitchen, as Dad greeted whoever was at the door.

“Pin,” I stopped and Mom took me in a hug.

I hugged Mom back. “Mom, what’s gotten under your coat?”

“We will talk about things soon enough,” Mom said and gave me a little squeeze. “I would like Satin and Stormbreaker to be present when we discuss things.” She looked up at me. “Is Coco going to be joining us?”

Doing my best to control my expression. “Rarity and Sassy are planning on grabbing her for lunch.”

Mom scrutinized me. “Which bothers you. Why?”

Before I could answer, Satin came into the room.

“Mom, you went crazy!” Satin said, as she walked into the kitchen and looked at the food.

“You’re eating for two, and I was planning on Coco attending, so I needed to prepare enough for at least six ponies.”

“You made enough for twenty!” Satin looked at me. “She needed a hug again?”

I nodded. “Pretty bad too.”

“Don’t let her go. I know just what she needs.” Satin called through the kitchen door, “Storm, could I borrow you for a second?”

Storm poked his head into the kitchen’s doorway. “What’s going on?”

“Mom could use one of your hugs,” Satin said. “You take care of her, and Pin and I will finish setting the table.”

“Still feeling bad?” Stormbreaker asked Mom, as he stepped into the kitchen.

“She’s got something grinding on her mind,” I said, and let Mom go.

Satin met eyes with Storm. A silent message went between them, and Storm nodded as Satin gestured towards Mom.

“Storm’s hugs always make me feel better, so no fussing Mom,” Satin said. “You need this.”

“But he’s your-” Mom broke her words off as soon as Stormbreaker took her in his forelegs and wrapped her in his wings. After a second Mom’s reluctance faded, and she settled into the hug. “Protest withdrawn.”

“He is my husband, and he’s part of our family,” Satin said, as she and I gathered plates, food, and silverware in our magic.

“Ah, good!” Dad said, as he came through the doorway. “She needed that.”

Dad helped Satin and I moved everything from the kitchen to the dining room. With the three of us working together, the table was set right before Mom and Stormbreaker entered the room. The lunch started off with pleasantries being exchanged, plates of food being passed, and glasses being filled. After a few minutes, our eating and the conversation slowed and the air in the room became heavy.

“So, since we can all tell it’s coming now, should we call the meeting to order?” Satin half joked.

Mom’s expression turned businesslike at Satin’s words. “We should.”

Stormbreaker looked to Dad, who had a concerned look on his face.

“Who’s taking the minutes?” I asked in as light a tone as I could, trying to break some of the tension.

“Let us not settle into old habits,” Dad said to everypony. “Things have changed and will continue to change. I hope we can use this as an opportunity to address some of the… shortcomings of our relationships.”

Not a good sign, I thought to myself, as an uneasy silence settled over the table.

Stormbreaker fidgeted. He moved closer to Satin and put a wing around her shoulders. “Love, I’m not sure what’s going on, and I get the sense it isn’t going to be easy, but someone has to be the first to dive into the storm cloud.”

“I will take the lead position then,” Dad said. “We’re moving to Appleloosa.”

It took me a moment to process what he said. “What?!”

Mom gave Dad an amused look. “Dear, I believe there is still a need for tact, even when dealing with storms.”

“There is,” Stormbreaker confirmed. He grinned at Satin’s shocked expression. “You okay?”

You’re the two who volunteered to move there for the project?” Satin said, sounding as if she were still in disbelief.

“We asked to not be named in any of the preliminaries,” Dad said. “Since we didn’t know if things would progress this far, we thought prudence was in order.”

“Now I know why nopony would give me a straight answer when I asked about who signed up to go,” Satin said.

“We did not want to put others in a situation that had so much uncertainty,” Mom said. “Since we are two of the owners of the company, we felt we should be the ones to bear the stress of not knowing if it would be necessary to move.”

“You’re leaving Canterlot,” I said in a half whisper, sounding like a foal whose world had been rearranged to my own ears.

Dad grinned. “Just for a year.”

“Oh.” The muscles in my back and shoulders released.

“All is right in Equestria,” Dad assured. “The Sisters’ sun and moon remain in the sky, and we shall remain in Canterlot. We wanted to go to Appleloosa to get things going and be there to train the ponies who would take our positions.”

“Then you’ll be coming back to the primary office,” Satin said. “Right?”

Dad met eyes with Mom. He smiled and took her hoof with his and nodded as if encouraging her to say something.

“After completing our time in Appleloosa, we are planning to sell our share of the company and retire,” Mom said.

While I tried to process the news, Satin stared at Mom with her mouth open. After a long pause, she said, “Well, horse apples.”

Dad burst into full laughter, while Mom looked offended.

“First, young lady, language!” Mom scolded. “Second, what kind of reaction is that?!”

“I was going to offer to sell my share of the company to you so you could have control over it again,” Satin said and gave an uneasy giggle. “Guess that’s not going to happen.”

Stormbreaker looked at me and asked, in half jest, “Do you want their shares?”

“No!” I said without hesitation. “I’ve never wanted to be part of the company. Besides, I couldn’t afford them even if I wanted to.”

“You were going to sell us your share of the company and move,” Mom stated.

With her words, the tension in the air returned.

“I do plan to sell my share, but we’re not sure on moving yet,” Satin confirmed.

“Because of the foal,” Mom said in a tone that made me uneasy.

For the foal.” Satin turned to Dad. “I told Mom earlier, but didn’t get the chance to tell you, I think the foal is going to be a pegasus.”

“Ah,” Dad said. “Thus the potential move.”

“Ponyville,” Mom said, sounding certain. “You are planning to move to Ponyville.”

“If the foal is a pegasus or an earth pony,” Satin said.

Mom prodded, “If it’s a unicorn?”

Stormbreaker told her, “We’ll stay here in Canterlot,”

“I still don’t like the idea of you flying all that way everyday,” Satin said, looking up at him.

Stormbreaker kissed Satin’s nose. “I don’t mind the flight, and it will keep me looking good for you.”

Satin gave Stormbreaker a kiss. “You’ll always look good to me.” She sighed, turned her head, and looked down at her hindquarters.

“Don’t even think it,” Stormbreaker said. “There is something about a pregnant mare’s curves that’s all kinds of sexy. You know I’m not lying too. I still have trouble keeping my hooves off you.”

Dad made an uncomfortable noise that went unheeded.

Stormbreaker nuzzled Satin’s ear in a teasing way. “Now that I think about it, we didn’t slow down having-”

“Whoa!” I said and held up my hooves. “You can stop right there! Thank you.”

“I agree,” Dad said.

Mom gave Dad a meaningful glance and a smirk of a smile.

Dad, with a rare blush, told Mom, “Yes, Dear, I know, pot and kettle, but I do not need, nor want, to know the details of our daughter’s love life.”

“Ditto, but from a brother’s perspective,” I said.

“Tread with light hooves, dear brother of mine. If you think you’re squirming now, just wait.” Satin gave me a look and smirk that were too similar to those Mom had given Dad for comfort. “We’ll be discussing your love life soon enough.”

“That we shall,” Mom said and raised an eyebrow in a way that made me blush to my ears. She turned back to Satin. “Let us finish our discussion on the possibility of you moving. If you move, I suspect you will not want me or your father in the foal’s life beyond a few limited interactions.”

Satin’s eyes widened. “Mom, that’s crazy.”

“Please do not give me platitudes.” Mom told her. “I know well that you have never agreed with aspects of your and Pin’s upbringing. If I were in your position, I would see the foal’s coming as an opportunity to leave, and I suspect you have thought much the same.”

Mom’s words seemed to rattle Satin. I could not tell if she was going to cry or to have a tirade, but I could tell Satin was close to doing either.

“It’s all right,” Stormbreaker told her and drew her closer with his wing. He turned and hugged her in a comforting, supportive way. “Take a moment. I know this is rough, but we need to have this conversation.”

Satin snorted. “No, I need to have this conversation with them.”

Stormbreaker kissed Satin’s forehead. “You are my love and my wife. If you have an issue, I have an issue. I will do whatever I can so we can get through it.”

“Dear Celestia, I love you,” Satin said and nuzzled her head under Stormbreaker’s chin and against his chest. “I can’t even tell you how much.”

Dad smiled. “You two do fit together well.”

Satin pulled back from Stormbreaker, looked at his chest, and smiled apologetically. “He might not want me to fit too close to him for a little while, though, once he realizes I just got snot on his coat.”

Storm sighed, but kept his smile. “If I could make you feel better, it’s worth it. Besides, it will be good practice for when the foal gets here.”

“You may use a napkin,” Mom invited with a wry grin. “It would not offend.”

“Thank you,” Storm breaker said, and then used his napkin to clean himself.

Satin turned back to Mom, appeared to steel herself, and said, “I won’t lie to you.” She shifted in her seat like she was a filly who had gotten caught doing something she should not have. “When I first found out about the foal, I worried that you would try to force decisions for me and the foal.”

“My showing up with all the brochures must not have helped with that,” Mom said.

Satin nodded. “I remember about how you and Dad ‘debated’ what to do when you found out about Pin coming. I kept thinking about when you sent him to Grandfather’s and Nana’s too. It felt like you didn’t care about what he wanted and you didn’t...”

“Care what you wanted either,” Mom supplied.

Satin nodded again. “I wanted my brother here, and you sent him off. First to that school, and then to Grandfather’s and Nana’s.”

Dad tensed angrily. “You were a filly. You had no say-”

Satin raised her hoof in acknowledgment. “I understand what I wanted should not have had too big of an impact, but I never even got the chance to say anything. Later, when I spoke up, I got different versions of what you were about to say and told me to grow up.”

“We wanted what was best,” Dad said. “Those ‘debates’ were because we realized how serious the decisions we had to make were and we wanted to make sure we had taken everything into account for everypony.”

“For somepony who focuses on other’s thoughts and feelings, you didn’t take into account the thoughts and feelings of those you decided for,” Satin said in an icy tone.

Dad’s ears snapped back and he stared at Satin for a long and uneasy moment. “Go on. I can tell you want to say more.”

“I wanted to be a teacher. Instead, you decided what school I went to, what I specialized my studies in, and groomed me for the company. You said my responsibilities to the company and it’s employees come first, even though I wasn’t a part of it and didn’t want to be. I’ve always had the impression the only reason I got to be a tutor, when I was a filly, was because you thought it would help me ‘learn to manage and train ponies,’ as you so put it.”

Dad’s expression became unreadable. His deliberate posture and controlled breathing gave no indication what emotion he had felt at Satin’s words, but it was clear she had struck something in him.

Satin turned to me and sniffed. “I’ll always remember when Grandfather and Nana came to get you, before you went to Ponyville. You cried, you begged to stay, you held on to me like you would never see me again. You asked me to get them to keep them from making you leave, and I couldn’t do anything.” Tears went down her face. “All I could do was tell you lies that things were going to be okay.”

Seeing Satin cry and recalling that moment, I teared up a bit myself.

“As your parents, we needed to make such decisions,” Dad told her.

Satin’s attention snapped to Dad. “Sending Pin away was not needed at all,” Satin said with enough venom it shocked me.

“Satin, calm down,” Storm told her in a soft tone.

“You want the foal to be a pegasus so you can get away from us,” Dad stated.

“What I want is for my foal to be born healthy and to give them the best and as happy of an upbringing as I can,” Satin told him. “As Storm said, if the foal is a unicorn, we’ll stay here.”

Dad’s expression remained inscrutable. “Your tone tells me you think your mother and I did not provide the best or a happy upbringing to you or Pin.”

“Perhaps we should hear from Pin, since we have brought his name up so many times now?” Mom suggested.

All eyes turned to me, and my ears pinned back in discomfort at their combined attention.

“All that matters is I was loved, I was raised in a safe and caring home, and now I have a career I enjoy that provides me with what I need,” I said, not wanting to wade into an argument. “I’m not sure what the point of this is, but, whatever is going on, it’s not leading us anywhere and it’s creating bad feelings among us.”

“We’re feeling out the boundaries of our relationships, which have just undergone a significant shift, and are about to undergo more,” Dad said.

“Pin,” Mom stared into my eyes, when I turned to her. “I want a straight answer from you. Do you feel your father and I gave you poor treatment?”

I rubbed my forehead with a hoof in frustration. “What happened wasn’t just with you and Dad. Grandfather and Nana had to go along with it too, and, no, I do not feel I was treated poorly.”

“Do you feel wronged by what we did?” Dad asked in a vulnerable way that made my coat stand on end.

“I wasn’t ‘wronged.’ I had a home, I had friends, and I had a safe place to grow up in. That is more than what a lot of ponies get.”

“Did you feel you were loved there?” Dad followed up.

“Stop this,” Stormbreaker said. “This is not healing or helping anything.”

“Lancing wounds is never pleasant,” Dad said, without taking his eyes off me. “Answer.”

“Of course I did,” I replied.

“Did you feel the same when you were here?”

I met eyes with Satin. “I did.”

“Could you say that while looking toward your mother or me without either of us doubting it?”

I remained silent and did not look at either of my parents. I was not sure if I could look at them, say the words, and mean them with enough conviction to not appear false or evasive while some of the old doubts and thoughts I had about them lingered in the back of my mind.

“I have a statement I would like to make and one question for you both, since Pin’s not going to speak to keep from hurting you,” Satin said.

“Go on,” Mom said.

“It strikes me funny that you two were so worried about your employees you all but volunteered to move to Appleloosa in their stead. Why did you think that moving was going to be such a bad thing for them?”

“We were concerned that requiring them to move would do to their...” As he spoke, Dad’s words transitioned into a whisper and then into silence, and a look of comprehension came to him.

Mom gave Dad an odd look and then turned to Satin as if to answer for him. “I fail to see what your question was aimed to do.”

Satin raised an eyebrow. “You don’t feel comfortable asking employees to move as part of their job, but you can send your son to Ponyville for the betterment of the company?”

“Of course,” Mom said, even as Dad gave her a motion that seemed to want her to consider her words. “As his parents, we had the right to.”

Satin asked in a heated, judgmental tone, “You really don’t get it do you?”

“Get what?” Mom said, anger tinting her words.

“You’ve given employees more consideration than you gave your son when you made him move or your daughter when you forced me into a career I didn’t want for the sake of your Sisters forsaken company!” Satin snarled.

Mom’s eyes widened in shock.

Stormbreaker drew Satin to his chest and tucked her head under his chin, as more tears went down her face. “Satin, you need to calm down for both of your sakes.”

Satin closed her eyes and took slow breaths.

Mom, looking pained, stared at Satin as if trying to reassess what she knew about her daughter. Dad, his emotional mask still in place, studied me and the others as if searching for unspoken ques and tells.

After regaining her composure, Satin sat back up and looked to Mom. “I agree, parent’s have to make choices for their foals, but I believe they should not do anything to their children that they would not do to a stranger in their care. I also believe when there are tough or life changing choices that need to be made that children be talked to and treated with as much kindness as possible.”

“A parent’s duties are to make their children into something useful, get them to fit into society, and to be able to stand on their own hooves,” Dad stated as if certain. “A child’s emotions and wants shouldn’t get more than cursory consideration when making choices to ensure the child is ready for life.”

“That kind of attitude has led us to have a broken family, this conversation, and Mom to worry that Storm and I are planning to keep our foal from her,” Satin said in an icy tone.

Dad’s head jerked back as if he had been struck.

“Do you see us as taskmasters rather than parents?” Mom said, with tears in her eyes. Her voice quavered as she followed up with, “Or are we monsters to you?”

Satin got up from her seat and hugged Mom. “Neither.” She kissed Mom’s temple and rested her head against Mom’s while allowing their horns to touch. “Mom, you provided me with so much: a wonderful home, a great education, a career-”

“Which you seem to despise,” Mom interjected.

“There are parts of it I like and I’m proud of what we have accomplished, but being part of the company is not what I would have chosen,” Satin said in a tender way. “However, being part of the company will allow Storm and I to begin our family without worrying about bits for a long time, once I sell my portion of it, so it was worth it.”

“You’re starting your life over with the foal,” Dad said.

“I’m shifting the focus of my life to my family.” Satin gave Dad a smile. “I’m planning to have as many of the ponies I know now in my life, including you and Mom, not ‘starting over’ on everything.”

I let out a relieved breath.

Dad cut his eyes in my direction and gave me a small smile. “You thought this was going to turn into a major blow up with irreparable consequences.”

I nodded. “It had the potential to be volatile. Mom’s been wound up, Satin’s been stressed, you looked like you were having to balance being a father and a husband, us talking about all the changes coming and bringing up rough stuff from the past; it could have been much more unpleasant.”

“Are you saying you thought I might have a hormone and stress induced emotional fit?” Satin giggled in a sad and uneasy way. “I can’t imagine what could have put that kind of idea in your head.”

“Let us shift our attention to him, now that we have addressed the other matters,” Mom said, sitting up while remaining in Satin’s forelegs. “He seemed troubled when he came in.”

“Something’s up with you and Coco,” Satin said.

I nodded.

“Is she pregnant?” Stormbreaker asked with a wicked grin.

“Storm!” Satin chided, while grinning herself.

“You’re looking like a colt caught with his hoof in the cookie jar,” Dad said. “So there’s a possibility she could be?”

“There could be a tiny possibility, but we’ve been careful,” I answered in a meek tone. “We’re not ready for a little one.”

“So the topic has been discussed,” Mom said, sounding pleased.

“It has,” I acknowledged.

“I trust this means you are planning to ask her to marry you sooner rather than later.” Mom’s expression fell, as she watched my reaction. “Something has gone wrong on that front.”

“Rarity is opening a shop in Manehattan. She and Satin are meeting with Coco, to ask Coco to help with setting up the shop and then for her to stay there for a while to help with getting it going for a while.”

“Oh, Pin,” Satin said.

“So that’s why Rarity asked you to come by her shop,” Dad said. “She wanted to tell you before she met with Coco.”

I nodded. “That’s the long and the short of it.”

Dad gave me a supportive smile. “Your relationship’s first genuine test seems to have arrived.”

“It won’t be a test,” I said, trying to be convincing to him and myself. “It’s going to delay things, but she and I both knew this might happen and she told me she would come home if it did.”

“You believe her,” Mom said with a smile.

I nodded. “I believe her.”

Dad chuckled. “Home?”

Despite the weight on me I felt, I smiled. “She considers Ponyville ‘home’ now.”

“Specifically your place, or Ponyville?” Satin asked in a teasing way.

“My place,” I said. After a second, and having a few troubled thoughts run through my head, I felt my smile fade to a ghost of what it had been.

“You see storm clouds on the horizon?” Stormbreaker said.

“Sort of.”

“There is something more on your mind isn’t there?” Dad asked.

“She’s committing herself to staying with me, at my place, and working at my shop.” I tapped my chest with a hoof with each ‘my’. “I want it to be our place and our shop. If they don’t become 'ours' I’m worried I’ll smother her.” I accented each ‘our’ by cupping my hooves upward and tapping them together.

“In what way?” Dad asked.

“She’d be working for my shop, rather than making her own designs and creating costumes for the plays and shows she loves.” My smile revitalized, as I recalled Coco working in the library yesterday. “Coco comes alive, when she alters patterns or creates her own. She gets this blissful look, she hums to herself, and her ideas seem to flow out into her sketches without her having to think about it.”

“You are so in love head over hooves with her,” Satin said, after a giggle.

“I am,” I acknowledged “Even if she keeps altering or creating new patterns for the shop, I don’t think that will be enough for her to be happy.”

“I am sure this is not the first time such thoughts have occurred to you,” Mom said. “Have you given thought on how to avoid such an outcome?”

“I didn’t have much of one, until this trip,” I told her. “Now, I think I do. It’s going to take careful planning and a bit of luck to get all the pieces to come together at the right time, but I think I can pull it off.” I grinned. “You inspired me in how to fit things together.”

One of Mom’s ears angled out. “How so?”

“If I make the right connections with the right ponies, at the right time, I can leverage their skills while helping them make new connections of their own.”

Mom and Satin shared a glance. They both gave me mirror smiles, as Mom said, “You seem to be planning quite a lot of changes in your business and your life around her.”

Dad gave a snort of laugh. “You’re in for it now,” he whispered.

“Long term changes too,” Satin said.

“Makes one wonder as to do details about what else he is planning in regards to her,” Mom said, matching Satin’s tone.

Storm glanced past my shoulder and grinned. “In the short term, he should go to pick her up from the library.”

I turned, saw the time on the dining room’s clock, and grinned. “You’re right, Storm, thanks for pointing that out.”

“Young colt, I will be quite upset with you if we do not get a hint as to when you are going to ask her to marry you,” Mom said.

“I was planning on asking her when she got back from Manehattan after her job with the acting company was finished,” I admitted. “Now, I have to wait and see what happens with Rarity’s shop opening.”

Mom, seeming only half satisfied with my response, raised an eyebrow.

I held up my hooves in a defensive, placating gesture. “I know that’s not much of an answer, but it’s all I have right now.”

“Go pick her up,” Dad said. “She’ll be wanting to talk with you, I’m sure.”

“Give her a hug for me,” Satin said, as I stood up.

Mom laughed, as I gathered my silverware with my magic. “You were too well trained.” She motioned for me to put the silverware and plates down. “Do not worry about that, go.”

I smiled. “Yes, Mom.”

*****

The descent down the library’s basement stairwell seemed more foreboding to me, thanks to the worried thoughts that raced through my mind. I was so caught up in my thoughts, it felt as if my hooves moved me along more of their own volition than any conscious direction I gave them.

My ears pricked up at the sound of voices coming from Folio’s office.

“Dear, you are worrying over nothing,” I could just hear Folio tell somepony comfortingly. “This sounds like a great opportunity for you. I’m sure he would tell you the same.”

“He’d tell me that, mean it, and still be torn up,” Coco said, sounding as if she was fighting to keep her emotions in check.

“Have a ginger snap,” Folio said. “It’ll help.”

“Thank you,” Coco said, sounding like a comforted filly.

There was the light crunch of a cookie being bitten into, as I reached Folio’s office door.

Folio must have seen me approach her office. She looked through the half-open door, gave me a warm smile, and motioned for me to come in. “Speaking of Pin, here he is,” she told Coco.

“MMMmmm!” Coco said, as I stepped into the office. She waved a hoof at me in greeting and then pointed at her mouth.

“MMmm to you too,” I said in a joking tone.

“Don’t tease her,” Folio chided me. “She’s had a bit of an afternoon.”

“I had a feeling that was going to be the case. Rarity told me about what she was going to ask Coco earlier.”

“MMMph?!” Coco asked, her ears shooting straight up.

“What do you mean she told you?” Folio said, with a grin, as if translating.

“That’s why she asked me to come by her shop,” I said, gaining a smile of my own.

Coco took three more hasty chews and then swallowed. “She didn’t tell me she told you!”

“She didn’t?” I said, surprised.

“She told me you two talked about your ‘special dress’ again,” Coco said.

“We did. However, she Sassy and I agreed it didn’t suit my build. I couldn’t get it to work with me when I tried doing that walk of yours either.” I sighed and looked back towards my haunches. “It seems like I don’t have the hips for the dress or to match yours.”

“You didn’t really go talk to her about a dress, did you?” Folio asked.

“We discussed the cloth the dress was made of, so, in a way, yes,” I said. “However, I did not try it on.” I put my nose in the air and put on my best pompous Canterlotian act. “I am dedicated to the Coco Pommel line of accessories and attire and will wear nothing else.”

Folio snorted. “Careful there. You keep that up and she might make you a dress.”

“If she did, I’d wear it.” I looked at Coco, who’s mood seemed to have lightened, and smiled. “She’d have to give me sashaying lessons before I went out in public with it on, though.”

“You’re serious!” Folio said, through a laugh.

“If Big Mac can get dressed up so his sister can enter a competition, I can get dressed up for my marefriend’s business.” I folded my ears down in mock worry. “However, I’m not sure how convincing of a mare I would make.”

Folio raised an eyebrow. “Your build might give her a little trouble, but with your mane and tail I could see it working.”

“I could even get the girls in on it,” Coco teased. “I’m sure Pinch would love to try something new with braiding your mane and tail again.”

I was glad to see Coco all but returned to her normal self. I stood there for a second, enjoying her full smile.

“Pin, hug her,” Folio said. I did as prompted, and Folio shook her head. “While he was a good stallion, you take after your grandfather a bit too much at times.”

“I’ve been working on him,” Coco said, wrapping her forelegs around me. “If we had been out of your office, he would have given me a hug.”

“True on both accounts,” I agreed.

Coco looked up at me. “How did the ‘family meeting’ go?”

“Better than I thought it would, but there’s going to be a lot of changes coming fast,” I told her, trying to hint at some of the unpleasant aspects of the talk.

Coco gave a look that said she could tell there was more to what I had said. “Talk about it later?”

I nodded, and Coco held me tighter.

“You two get out of here,” Folio said and made a shooing motion at us with her hooves. “You two need some time together, and we’re about to close up this section of the library.”

Coco released me and went around Folio’s desk. “Thank you for the cookies, for listening, for everything,” she told Folio and gave the archivist a hug.

“Any time,” Folio said and returned Coco’s hug. She glanced my way and raised an expectant eyebrow.

I grinned. “You get a hug from me too.”

“Let me go get my stuff together,” Coco said. She let Folio go and then left the office.

“She’s a special mare,” Folio said, as she came around her desk.

“I know.” I gave Folio a hug. “Thank you for taking care of her.”

Folio returned my hug and told me, “I was glad I could be here for her.” She glanced toward the door and then leaned close to my ear. “I will get an invitation to the wedding, right?”

I gave a muted laugh and whispered back, “I promise you will.”