• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 2,244 Views, 38 Comments

Moon and Stars - keam



Dreams. The one place where we can express our deepest secrets and desires without having to fear anypony ever finding out. After all, in our dreams we're all alone...or are we? Some say there is a mare, who protect and control our dreams...

  • ...
6
 38
 2,244

Prologue

Luna flew through the misty landscape, avoiding the small globes representing the dreams of the ponies she was tasked with protecting. From time to time, she glanced into the dreams contained inside the orbs. A field of apple trees, a field with flowers and...Luna quickly made an abrupt turn to the left to avoid a orb filled with balloons and cities made of candy. She had entered those dreams once. It was a horrid mistake she would not do again. As a result of the abrupt turn, she flew straight into somepony else's dream.

Looking around, Luna tried to identify who's dream she had entered. After walking around for a while, she saw a familiar purple unicorn laying on a blanket, snuggling...Luna?

Luna was shocked. Why was Twilight dreaming that she was snuggling her? It didn’t really make sense when compared to anything Luna knew about the young unicorn. She was obsessed with studying when not hanging out with her friends. She never seemed like a mare that would be interested in dating at all, much less a mare. For every minute that went by with Luna thinking about what she was seeing, the more panicked she got. She needed to get out of this dream and forget. Now. Turning around, she galloped on until she passed through the wall between the dream of Twilight and the realm containing the dreams of all of the ponies living in Equestria. She continued through the realm until she passed through yet another wall and woke up.

Laying in her bed, sweating, she decided that whatever she had seen it that dream, she'd do everything in her power to forget. That never happened.

The following days didn’t go quite according to plans, however. Luna tried to do her best in avoiding the dreamsphere for three whole nights now, causing only more trouble. The Princess could feel the ponies struggling with their nightmares, just because she decided to avoid it and the only reason for her neglecting her duties was the dream of a single pony: Twilight Sparkle.
But what to do? Luna certainly couldn't date anypony, much less the mare that was her own sister’s protege! She wasn't ready. She didn't know if she'd ever be ready for something like that, most of her previous experiences with romance were millennia in the past. Not to even mention what her sister or the nobles would say about such a behaviour. It wouldn’t ever fit a Princess, Luna was quite sure about that, so she just would have to forget the dream and keep shut about it. Yes. That would do. Pretending it never happened was the easiest, best way of dealing with it.

Then, sadly, her Night-court was up and she soon realized that ignoring everything wouldn’t help her, and that she would have to visit the dreamsphere again. Soon. Sitting on a small throne, much smaller than her sisters, she waited for the first pony bringing up it’s needs. It wasn’t a long wait until the first pony stood before her, a blue pegasus mare who bowed upon entering the room. She explained how she worked at an orphanage, and the foals had been having terrible nightmares the last weeks. She was wondering if there was anything that the Princess of the Night could do to help the foals sleep, considering that it was part of her royal duties. After all, they were just small foals. Why should they have to suffer from terrifying dreams every night? Some of the foals had even started to refuse to go to bed because they were afraid of the nightmares awaiting once they fall asleep.

The Princess started to worry about her own state, unable to convince herself to visit the dreamsphere again, and now even the smallest of her subjects were coming to suffer from her neglect. This wasn’t how she planned it, and she had to do something about it! Promising the mare that she would take care about those nightmares, she promised at the same time to herself that she would visit the dreamsphere again that night.

It was a bit later and Luna laid in her room, door locked and a sound-proofing spell around the walls. She prepared everything to remain undisturbed, as she always tried while in the dreamsphere. If somepony disturbed her while working on somepony’s dreams, it could turn out quite worse. She layed down on her side on the bed, starting to reach out with her magic and closing her eyes. Soon she found herself in her own dream, just in front of the wall to the dreamsphere. It shimmered familiar at her, but she still hesitated. Was this really such a good Idea? Maybe not, but she would just have to avoid Twilight’s dream as long as possible. Yes, that sounded just right. With a confident smile on her muzzle, Luna walked through the wall and into the dreamsphere…

Luna spent the next three hours saving most dreamers from their nightmares, causing them happy and sweet dreams. Once she was done with her duty, she continued watching over some dreams, pacing around the sphere. Soon, six globes came to her sight, each one she knew well, especially a big, purple one with a star on it. Luna turned immediately, trying to fly away from it as fast as possible, but to no use. The dreamglobe was following her and coming closer, something she never experienced before. Soon it caught her, causing her to fall into the dream and landing with a loud ‘thump’ on a hard, wooden floor.


Groaning and with plenty of pain in her forehead, Luna stood up, examining her surroundings. It was Twilight’s bedroom in the top of her Library. Something was wrong here and Luna soon caught it; a form struggling under the blanket on the bed, electing some giggles from the shapes from time to time. She was just about to leave the dream as the blanket shifted a bit and Luna caught sight of two ponies, nuzzling and kissing each other. Her jaw fell open. One pony was Twilight Sparkle, the pony deeply buried with her muzzle in the fur of the unicorn’s neck was Luna herself… Her heart jumped a bit, but Luna ignored it. With a scream on her lips she fled the globe, quickly racing through the dreamsphere and landing in her own bed after mere seconds. The scream still on her lips, she woke up, only to find a white alicorn sitting on the side of her bed, staring worried at her. It was her sister Celestia…

Author's Note:

Collaboration with ScratchnTavi
Edited by ForgottenExistance