• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 3,694 Views, 127 Comments

Halo: Harmony's Mantle - That Forerunner

  • ...
6
 127
 3,694

Chapter 4: An Unexpected Journey

It was a normal day in Canterlot. The nobles were walking among the streets doing the many things a noble does with more than a little air of superiority, while many other ponies were eating lunch at the local restaurants available in the majestic city. Princess Celestia was in her throne room doing what nearly every princess had to go through.

Filling out papers.

Celestia was in her Throne Room filling out papers for all the things Canterlot needed. Shipping for food so that the citizens didn’t starve, taxes, always collecting the taxes, and all the other things that needed to be done to keep Canterlot and the rest of the Kingdom running smoothly. The Princess had been at this for about twenty minutes doing nothing but looking over royal documents, and sometimes grabbing bananas to snack on.

Luckily, nothing seemed to be happening down in Ponyville with Twilight Sparkle and her friends, so that gave her the time she needed to get her work done without interruptions. It wasn't until she was twenty six minutes into it that the door that lead to the Throne Room opened, revealing one of Celestia’s guards holding a letter.

“Your Highness, I have a letter from Princess Cadence.”

Celestia look up from her papers with an eyebrow raised. It was not common to get a letter from Cadence. The last time Celestia had seen or heard from her was when Tirek had returned to Equestria with a lust for power, so it must be urgent.

“Bring it here,” Celestia responded.

The guard pick the letter back up and brought it to the Princess. “Here you are, Your Highness.”

“Thank you, you may go,” Celestia responded with a smile.

The guard gave her a salute and turned around, going back to his post.

“Now, lets see here,” she said to herself while opening the letter with her magic. Celestia opened the letter completely and began to read.

Eventually

Celestia looked at the letter with mixed emotions: curiosity, shock, skepticism, and frustration.

Just as they had defeated Tirek only two weeks ago, a new problem pops up. According to the letter, a problem happened with the Mirror Portal and a being came out with advanced armor and was taken to the hospital because it was hurt. But, Cadence learned that the being did not come from the world behind the Mirror. That confused Celestia at first, but she then read that the being came from a ‘Slipspace Portal’, whatever that was.

Apparently, his species is Forerunner and he would not give his real name, only his title. She also learned that the Forerunners hold something called the Mantle of Responsibility, and what shocked her the most was that the letter said he was 110,225 years old! He was far older then herself.

Celestia was very skeptical, but she knew Cadence would never lie about something like this, and Cadence wanted this ‘Didact’ transported to Canterlot because she couldn't handle something this big. That made Celestia a little frustrated, but she understood completely.

She had to take immediate action.

Celestia pick up a quill and letter and began to write to Twilight.


Twilight and Spike were organizing books in her new castle she was granted after she defeated Tirek with the Rainbow Power two weeks ago. She lost her library in a magical blast Tirek used, attempting to destroy her along with it.

“Alright Spike, I think that about does it,” Twilight said, relieved that they were finally done organizing her new books.

“Phew, about time we got that done. Say, can I head over to Rarity’s?” Spike said, hoping that Twilight would allow him to do so.

“Now hold on, Spike, we still have to make sure that the books are in ABC order.” Twilight respond to Spike’s question.

“Oh come on, does it matter?”

“Of course it matters! We can’t have the Library’s books not in order, it would make it harder to find the book you want.” Twilight pointed out.

“Alright, alright,” Spike said while heading over to the books again, disappointed.

Right as Spike was about to begin, he got the feeling in his chest whenever he is about to spit out a letter. Spike burped, and out came the letter. Twilight walk over to the parchment and picked it up.

“It’s a letter from Princess Celestia,” Twilight said to Spike.

Twilight open the letter with her magic and started to read,.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I need you and your friends here in Canterlot, I got a message from Cadence and it sounds urgent.

Princess Celestia.

“What does it say” Spike asked

“Spike, gather the girls and tell them to meet me at the train station.” Twilight asked Spike.

“Is something wrong?” Spike asked, worried.

“No time, Spike. I’ll be at the train station.” Twilight said as she ran out the door.

“Oook”


Twilight waited about twenty four minutes until she saw Spike and the rest of her friends.

“What’s up with all the fuss, Twi?” Applejack asked, curious.

“Yeah, whats up?” Rainbow Dash added.

“I have just received a letter from Princess Celestia, and she wants us to meet her at Canterlot right away.” Twilight respond to the two ponies’ questions.

“For what reason, darling?” The purple-maned fashionista asked.

“She didn’t give me any details, Rarity. She just told us to meet her at Canterlot.” Twilight answered.

“Oh, a surprise! I love surprises.” The party pony Pinkie Pie said, jumping up and down.

“I already bought us tickets to Canterlot. We should get aboard the train before we get left behind.” Twilight said to the girls.

“Then what are we waiting for, sugarcube? Let’s go.” The cowpony answered for everypony.

The six elements boarded the train and made their way to Canterlot.



After a few hours they arrived at the majestic city on the mountain. The girls got out of the train and the beautiful city greeted them.

“Ah, Canterlot never gets old,” Rarity said to herself.

“Alright girls, we better start making our way to the Castle, and let’s hope that there’s nothing bad awaiting us.” Twilight said to the group.

The group started making there way to the castle.

“So Twi, the Princess just told us to meet her here and gave no details at all?” Applejack asked Twilight.

“I’m pretty sure the Princess will explain everything once we get there.” Twilight responded.

After some chatting and questions, the elements got to the castle.

“The Princess is expecting you, I’ll lead the way.” a guard said to the girls.

The guard opened the door to the palace and they made their way to the Throne Room. After they went through hallways and many turns, they finally reached the Throne Room. The guard opened the door and stopped, holding it for them with his magic. When all the elements where inside, the guard closed the door with a resounding thud.

“Celestia, we came as fast as we could.”

“Thank you for coming. Now, I suppose you want some answers?” Celestia asked the girls.

“Yes, actually, we would like some answers.” Twilight responded.

“I have received a letter from Cadence, and it seems that yesterday a being of some type called the Didact came from the Mirror Portal.”

The group gasped with shock, then Applejack posed a question. “But how? The portal is still closed.” she asked with confusion.

“It is, but in Cadence’s letter, he came from a different passage, and is not really from the world that Twilight went to to get her crown back from Sunset Shimmer.”

“What? Then how did he come through it?” Twilight asked, growing very confused.

“Cadence said that he used some sort of portal or force called ‘Slipspace.’”

“Slipspace, what's that?” Twilight asked.

“Cadence tried to ask, but he just said that it’s beyond our civilization’s understanding.”

“Is he calling us dumb! When I get my hoofs on him...” Rainbow Dash said with anger.

“Rainbow, I believe this ‘Didact’ tells the truth when he says we can’t understand it.” Celestia said to a angered Rainbow Dash.

“What! You're agreeing with him?” Dash said, shocked.

“Yes I am, his species’ name is Forerunner and Cadence said that his people can do many things that our magic can never achieve in millenia.”

“Oh really, what can his species do that magic can never do?”

“According to Cadance’s letter, Forerunners can can create worlds, destroy all life in the galaxy, construct a shield world – which I understand are planets that are covered in a metal dome and have an artificial sun or stars – can create a platform that is nothing but light, and they can do this all, as unbelievable as it sounds, through technology.”

The whole group had their mouths agape with shock and disbelief.

“Wha-wh-how is that possible Princess!” Twilight stammered.

“You can ask him yourself once you meet him.” Celestia respond.

“Wait you-you-yo-you're sending us to him.” Fluttershy said

“Yes, you girls are going to pick up the Didact and bring him to Canterlot.”

“Is there anything else we need to know about him” Twilight questioned.

“Yes in fact, a lot. Cadence says that he is as tall as me, maybe even taller,” Celestia responded, amazed herself.

“What!” Twilight gasped.

“Twilight, calm down, this Didact also became a Earth Pony because of his entry through the portal. So, Cadence thinks he’s an extraterrestrial.”

“You mean an alien? There’s no such thing as aliens,” Applejack said.

“I have two things to prove you wrong, Applejack. One: he says his species owns something called the Mantle of Responsibility, which gives them the right to became the guardians of the galaxy and he says his species has been watching over the galaxy for thousands of years. Two: Cadence claims that in his original form, he was eleven feet and four inches.”

The elements again had their mouths agape.

“Eleven feet and four inches!!!” Rainbow shouted.

“How’s that possible?” Rarity said.

“The Didact told Cadence to think about the possibilities the galaxy has to hold.” Celestia answered.

“His species are the guardians of the galaxy, wow.” Twilight said, amazed.

“The Didact should answer your questions. Right now, you need to get to the Crystal Empire, I have already got you tickets to get on the train.” Celestia told them.

“Alright, Princess, we’ll get going. Come on girls, let’s go get this Didact.”

“But one more thing, Twilight, the Didact seems like one that does not fool around and he is very serious, so choose your words wisely.”

“Don’t worry, Princess, we’ll be fine.”

The girls then walked out of the Throne Room. While the girls were walking, Twilight spoke up. “You hear that, Pinkie? No parties for the alien Didact.”

“Awwww, come on.”

The six ponies eventually got on the train and made their way to the Crystal Empire.


Cadence was on her way to the Didact’s room to tell him about the whole meeting with the Elements of Harmony. While on her way, a guard came up to her and gave her a message.

“Princess, our guest wishes to see you,” the Crystal guard said.

“I was just heading there now,” Cadence replied

The Didact was in his room with his helmet on, checking his Prometheans’ states. His Promethean constructs were awaiting orders, the Didact had given the majority of the others orders to assist the Sangheili Jul ‘Mdama in his campaign against Humanity. The Prometheans followed his orders with no objection, and according to his data on the location of his Prometheans, they where on Requiem and the planet was about 33,675 light-years away. The closest Forerunner installation was Installation 02, a Halo ring which was 9,463 light-years away. The Didact’s mind drifted to the Covenant

“What fools to think that the Forerunners are their gods. What made them believe such a foolish thing?” the Didact thought to himself.

A knock then came from the door.

“Enter,” the Didact said to the person behind the door.

Cadence opened the door and then entered and closed the door behind her.

“I suppose you heard my request?” the Didact asked Cadance.

“Well, I was already on my way to tell you something.” Cadence said to the Didact.

“And what is that?”

“I’ve come to inform you that last night, I wrote a letter to Princess Celestia about you, and she is probably sending the Elements of Harmony to see you.” Cadence informed him.

“Good, that is what I wanted to talk about. When do you plan to reveal me to the public? I can not stay in this tower like a caged animal forever, my patience is not infinite,” the Didact said with growing frustration.

“Don’t worry, when the elements get here, we're going to have to reveal you to the public.” Cadence said, slightly worried.

“When do these elements arrive.” Didact asked.

“They should arrive in a few hours.” Cadence responded

“Good, I look forward to it.”


After hours of riding on the train, the girls finally got to the Crystal Empire. The train came to a stop and started letting passengers out.

“Finally, some space,” Rainbow Dash said while flapping her wings

“Where’s Cadance?” Twilight asked herself.

“Over here, Twilight.”

“Cadence!”

Twilight ran over to Cadence and did their little greeting.

“Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake, clap your hooves and do a little shake.” Twilight and Cadence sung.

“Ahem, sorry to interrupt you, but where’s this Didact.” Applejack asked.

“Ah yes, him. Sorry, follow me, he’s in the Crystal Tower.” Cadence said warmly.

“I’m pretty sure Celestia informed you of the Didact, correct?” Cadence asked

“Yes she did, I still can’t believe something like him could possibly exist.” Twilight said with curiosity.

“Wait until you see his armor.” Cadence said. After some walking for a bit, they got to the Crystal Tower and entered. “The Didact is still in his room, let me take you there.”

“You gave him his own room?” Twilight asked

“Of course I did, what else would I do?” Cadence said.

They went through a comple more halls, before Cadence stopped in front of one of the ornate doors. “Well, this is his room, just let me go in there to get him,” Cadence said. She creaked open the door.

“Didact? They’re here.”

“Excellent.” The Didact said.

“Alright girls, he’s coming out.” Cadence said to the elements. Only a few seconds after that, they could hear heavy hoofsteps that sounded like metal getting louder as they neared them.

The door opened and revealed a tall Earth Pony in armor that had red-orange lights on it and some parts of armor plating floating in midair with no assistance from magic. The Didact towered over the six ponies as he spoke

“I suppose you're the Elements of Harmony?”