• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 3,694 Views, 127 Comments

Halo: Harmony's Mantle - That Forerunner

  • ...
6
 127
 3,694

Chapter 3: Dinner With an Ancient

The Throne Room was silent; with no princess present, no one was allowed to go in, not even the Guards. Two Royal Guards were standing outside the Throne Room door, allowing no one to pass.

“Hey Ruby,” said the guard on the left.

“Yeah?” the female guard answered back.

“You ever wonder why we're here?” questioned the guard.

“One of life’s greatest mysteries, isn’t it, why are we here. I mean, are we the product of...some cosmic coincidence or is there really a god watching everything, you know, with a plan in force and stuff. I don’t know man, but it keeps me up at night.” Ruby responded.

“......What?” the guard finally answered, confused.

“I mean, why are we here in the Crystal Empire.” The guard corrected her mistake.

“Oh uhhhh….yeah.”

“What was all that stuff about god?” The guard asked, curious.

“Uhhh...huh, nothing,” Ruby answered, embarrassed.

“Do you want to talk about it?” the guard asked.

“No,” Ruby answered immediately.

“You sure?”

“Yeah,” Ruby said, starting to blush.

“Seriously though, why are we here? As far as I can tell, it’s just a circular city, made of crystals, in the middle of nowhere.” The guard explained.

“Yeah.”

“The only reason we have the Crystal Heart here is because we need it, and the only reason why Sombra was here because he wanted the Heart.” The guard pointed out the obvious.

“Yeah, he only wants it because...I really don’t know.”

“He wants it so he can enslave us. And with that, he would have the Crystal Heart and the Crystal Empire. What would he do then, I don’t know,” The guard explained to Ruby.

“What’s up with that, anyway? I mean, I signed in to fight some Changelings. Next thing I know, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence pushes away the whole Changeling armada, and I’m stuck in the Crystal Empire guarding the Princess.” Ruby admitted.

A magical pop then came from inside the Throne Room.

“That must be the Princess, lets go check on her.” Ruby declared.

“Agreed.”

When the two guards opened the doors to the Throne Room, what was in there was not what they expected. The Princess was with the tall pony in glowing armor. The two guards just stood there speechless, until Ruby had the guts to speak up.

“Uhhh...P-Princess why is he with you?” Ruby asked the Princess, hoping that the pony was on their side.

“Oh, hello Ruby. Don’t be scared of him, it was all just a misunderstanding.” Cadence replied, looking between her and the Didact.

“Oh, uhhhh that’s good news.”

“Why don’t you introduce yourself?”

The Didact glared at her for a few seconds, making Cadence uneasy under his piercing gaze. The unpleasantness lasted until the Didact turned his head towards the guards.

“I am the Didact, Supreme Commander of the Forerunner Military, also, the Protector of the Ecumene.” The two guards just looked at each other with confused looks on their faces. Before they could ask what the more foreign titles meant, the Didact interrupted them. “Do not asked the meaning the my titles, I don’t have all day to explain everything.” The Didact said with frustration.

“Oh, ok. Got it.” the other guard said sheepishly.

“Good.” The Didact turned back to Cadence. “Now, where is our destination?” The Forerunner asked.

“Right this way.” Cadence starting walking forward towards the door. The Didact started walking at her pace.
They left the room and the two guards in it behind.

“Dude, did you hear that pony’s voice, it sounded like half robot, half pony.” Ruby asked her comrade.

“Y-Y-Y-Yeah, I heard it.”


“So, can I ask a question?” Cadence asked the Didact, hoping he wouldn't get mad.

“Speak.” The Didact answered back.

“Well, you see, your height is pretty massive for pony standards, and well, only Princess Celestia is that tall as far as I can recall. But I think you may be a little taller, so how are you so tall?” The Princess asked with curiosity.

“If you wish to know my original height, then it was eleven feet and four inches.”

Cadence stopped dead in her tracks as her eyes bulged, and her mouth fell agape. Cadence had been trying to keep calm throughout her entire meeting with this being, but that was it. She couldn't take it anymore.

The Didact stopped after hearing the Princess’ hoofsteps stop. He turned around to see Cadence under massive amounts of shock.

“Many beings have been ‘shocked’ to see my height.”

“Y-Y-You were massive b-b-but how? Not even a Princess can reach that height.” Cadence asked, still shocked but skeptical.

“Have you considered that there are things out in the galaxy that break your laws of physics?” The Didact answered, clearly annoyed at how younger beings thought some things that the Forerunners have are impossible.

“N-No but...I guess you have a point.”

“I do have a point.” The Didact corrected her.

“Ok, ok, lets just get moving.” Cadence said, trying not to lose it.

“Gladly.” the Didact responded.

After a few minutes of walking through hallways, they reached a room that looked like a dining room.

“I suppose this is where we can answer each other’s questions?” The Didact asked the Alicorn.

“Yes, it will be. Take a seat, my husband will join us eventually.”

“Your husband?”

“Yes, I have a husband, he should be finishing up his duties.”

Just as she said that, a door that lead into the dining room opened and out came Shining Armor.

“Hello honey, glad to see you ba-.” Shining Armor then took notice of the Didact. “You!” Shining shouted

“Yes, is there something you require?” The Didact said, as calm as ever.

“Don’t worry, Shining, he wouldn't hurt us.” Cadence answered, worried that Shining Armor might do something.

“Wouldn't hurt us, five of Flash Sentry's men are injured!” Shining Armor pointed out.

“It was his choice to order his men to certain death, and it was you people who attacked me first, and I acted as such.” The Didact said, with truth in his words.

“Ok, I don’t want any fighting this, was all just a misunderstanding!” Cadence shouted.

“As you wish.” the Didact answered with no objection.

“Alright, Cadence, sorry. I guess I was just too angry and didn’t think before I spoke.” Shining said to Cadence.

“Thank you, now, why don’t we take a seat.”

Shining and Cadence took their seats right next to each other.

“So, why don’t you to introduce yourselves.” Cadence asked them, hoping to start over. “Alright,” Shining responded.

“I am Shining Armor, the Captain of the Guard, and Cadance’s husband.” Shining Armor pointed to Cadence.

“And you?”

“I am The Ur-Didact, Supreme Commander of the Forerunner Military, and the Protector of the Ecumene.” The Didact responded to Shining Armor’s question. “My species is Forerunner, and before you ask what my titles are, do not. It would take days to explain. But to make it simple, they are ranks just as yours.”

Shining Armor just stared at the Didact, blinking his eyes about every three seconds. “Ooooook, right.”

“Ok, now thats out of the way, Didact what food do you eat?” Cadence asked.

“Fruit or vegetables will be fine, although I do have the ability to digest meat, I do not eat meat.” the Didact pointed out.

“S-So you can eat meat?” Cadence asked, a little scared.

“If you think I am going to ‘eat’ you, then you are mistaken, and that would be a direct violation of the Mantle.” The Didact declared firmly.

“Ok, now that’s out of the way, what would you like?” Shining ask the the Didact.

The Didact thought for a moment and made his decision. “A salad will be fine, but do you have any forms of alcohol?” the Didact requested.

“Yes we do. We have wine, whiskey, champagne, and some of the best hard cider in Equestria.” Cadence answered.

“I suppose I will take the wine.”

“Alright, now we just have to wait for the waiter.” Cadence stated.

“Then we shall wait for this ‘waiter’.” the Didact answered.

“But Didact, you mentioned something called the ‘Mantle’ earlier?” Cadence asked the Didact.

“Yes I did. The species that holds The Mantle Of Responsibility must watch over all life in this galaxy, the Forerunners are the bearers of the Mantle and we have watched over this galaxy for millions of years.” The Didact said with pride.

“You've got to be kidding me, thats ridiculous.” Shining Armor said with massive amounts of skepticism.

“I am speaking nothing but the truth, Forerunners have technology that not even your ‘Magic’ could achieve.” The Didact said with anger creeping into his voice.

“Oh really, what can your species’ technology do against our magic?”

“Forerunner technology can create life, create worlds! We have weaponry that outdate yours by millions of years. We can create solid bridges that are nothing but light. We could destroy all life in this galaxy if we wished. We can manipulate gravity and do what we wish with it, we can create Shield Worlds which are a planets that are hollow, housing stars of their own! There are countless more magnificent things that I do not wish to explain, and that is why Forerunners hold the right to bear the Mantle of Responsibility.”

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence had their jaws hanging with complete shock on how Forerunner Technology could easily defeat their own, as well as their magic.

“...I-I uhhh” Shining Armor tried to answer.

“Exactly. But the Forerunners are on the verge of extinction, all thanks to the Council’s stupidity. I could have saved this galaxy and the Forerunners if they would have given me more time, But they fired the Halo Rings and destroyed all life in the Galaxy!”

Cadence was now confused with the Didact. If the Forerunners killed all life, then how are they still here, and what made the Forerunners active these ‘Halo Rings’ to begin with?

“Princess Cadence and Shining Armor and….uhhh.” The Waiter looked at the Didact, confused.

“I am the Didact,” Didact said, seeing the confusion on this Crystal Pony’s face.

“Didact, very good, sir. What may I get you all?” the Waiter asked.

“I’ll take a Apple Pie and some cider, thank you.” Cadence said.

“Same thing she’s having.” Shining Armor said, gesturing to his wife.

The Waiter looked over at the Didact expectantly. “I will have a salad with wine.”

“Alright, anything else, your highnesses?” the waiter asked, just to be sure.

“Thats all.” Cadence replied.

The waiter then walked away from the table, preparing to tell the chef the orders. Cadence now wanted to ask the Didact something.

“Your species is on the verge of extinction...oh my. But why did you active these Halo Rings, and what were you saving the Galaxy from, and how are we still here?” The Princess shot questions at him rapidly.

“The reason why the Council fired the Halo Array was because of an outbreak of a parasite called...the Flood.” The Didact said. disgusted whenever bringing up that name.

“But why would you need to kill all life in the galaxy just to stop it?” Shining asked

“This isn’t a normal parasite, but a parasite that starts in a circular shape with legs below it, and is about two feet tall. It can move around infecting those foolish enough to get too close. These are named infection forms, they find a lifeform to make the infection spread farther, and the infection process happens in about only five seconds. Upon completion, they become one of them, and cannot be saved. These are called combat forms; they can be of any sentient species, whether Forerunner, San’Shyuum, Sangheili, Humans, or quite likely even your own kind.” The Didact answered.

Cadence was terrified of the this ‘Flood’ and what it can do.

“But that is not all, the last stage for the Flood Parasite is known as the carrier form. They are simply a grotesque vessel of contagion that hold more infection forms inside that stands feebly on two legs. I could tell you more about infection forms, but I do not wish to, considering that your species’ apparent martial prowess seems...quaint.”

Didact inspected his hoof before continuing. “The Forerunners let the Flood spread too far before taking action, The Forerunner-Flood War only lasted three hundred years before the Council apparently decided to fire the Array to destroy the Parasite. That was over a thousand centuries ago, by my reckoning. ”

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence’s jaws hit the floor with shock on how they have been unaware of such an important event for 100,000 years.

“1-1-1-100,000 years ago!” Shining Armor shouted.

“Correct. If you're wondering how life still exists today, that is undoubtedly because the Librarian and her Lifeworkers Indexed the DNA and live specimens from all the species in the galaxy for preservation.”

“But wait...how do you know all this? Shouldn't the Forerunners after 100,000 years not be on the verge of extinction?” Cadence asked, greatly confused. “Why have we not seen more of your kind?”

“This may be hard for you to believe, but I was born in 110,225 BCE. So I am 110,225 years old, But biologically speaking, I am about two thousand years old.”

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence’s jaw hit the floor again. “W-W-W-What how, how are you so old!” Cadence shouted. He was easily older then Princess Celestia.

“I was exiled into a device named a Cryptum in the year 100,000 BCE for delaying the construction of the Halo Rings by making Shield Worlds, but they found out what I was doing and they ordered me to turn over all my records and submit to the authority of the Master Builder. I refused, which resulted in me being exiled. And being in that device froze my aging process.” the Didact said. “In addition, regular Forerunner armor does the same.”

“How could something stop your-” Shining Armor stopped as the Didact glared at him with a look saying yet again, “It would take days to explain.”

“But how were you released from this ‘Cryptum’.” Cadence asked, still as confused as ever.

“You can thank that Reclaimer for releasing me, Human filth, easily manipulated by my tricks into getting him to release me. I was on a shield world named Requiem when the Human crash landed there after destroying the Ark. I tracked his vessel, then when it came within range of Requiem, I pulled the vessel towards the planet.

“Wait, aren’t Humans just a myth?” Shining Armor asked.

The Didact chuckled at such a ridiculous fact as Humans being a myth to them. Were it not beneath him and made difficult by his stiff facial muscles, his lips would be pulled into a grin.

“No, they are not a myth, I have seen them kill my Warrior-Servants right in front of me, I have even killed some myself, But it doesn’t matter if they die, they were the reason why the Forerunners had to fire the Rings. They weakened us after a millennia of war, if there had not been a Human-Forerunner War then billions of my kind would still be alive!” The Didact shouted with mounting anger in his voice.

Cadence was horrified that the Humans and Forerunner had to fight a war for one thousand years.

“You fought a war that lasted a millennium?” Shining Armor asked, horrified over how much damage must have been done to both civilizations.

“Yes we did, from the way I see things, you must not have waged war for a awhile.” The Didact questioned.

“We haven’t had a war for hundreds of years.” Cadence declared.

“Then I must say that you are doomed if you are to fight a war, if that is the case.” The Didact said with sincerity in his voice.

“Here you are, your highness, an Apple Pie with Cider.” The Waiter came back with several pieces of food on his tray.

“Thank you,” Cadence said.

“And here you are, Shining.” the waiter gave Shining Armor the same as Cadence’s.

“Thanks.”

“And here you go, Didact.” The waiter give the Didact his order.

“Your work is appreciated.” The Didact thanked the waiter.

“Enjoy.” with that the waiter made his way out the door.

“I am done answering your questions for today, Cadence.” The Didact said. “Now, you will answer my questions.”

“It seems only fair.” Cadence replied, agreeing.

“Good, Now tell me about the other sapient races on this planet.”

As time went on with questions and dining, the moon was high in the sky and Shining Armor was falling asleep at the the table.

“Alright, I think it’s about time I show you to your room, Didact.” Cadence said after yawning.

“Show me the way.” The Didact declared.

Cadence left the dining room and went down the hallways with the Didact. After about five minutes of walking down hallways, they stopped at a door.

“Is this where I will rest for tonight?” The Didact asked Cadence.

“Yes, this is your room. You can stay here for as long as you want until you find a way back.” Cadence said kindly

“I appreciate your hospitality, Princess, Now excuse me, I need to rest.” The Didact said. He had not gotten sleep since he left his Cryptum. It was time to get some real sleep.

The Didact entered his room and closed the door behind him.


Cadence entered her room and closed the door behind her. When she entered, she saw Shining Armor sleeping like a baby. Cadence giggled on how he looked, but before she got in bed with him, she had to do something. Cadence went over to a writing table and sat down. She grabbed a pen and paper with her magic and began to write.

“Dear Celestia.
Today I have met a pony, well not actually a pony but he calls himself the Didact.

Author's Note:

Stuff just got intense for the ponies. The more they learn about Forerunner history, the more they learn about the early days of our galaxy. As for the letter what will happen.