• Published 7th Feb 2015
  • 15,170 Views, 396 Comments

Improbable Truth - Charon the Chronicler



Windell had faced insanity before, and won. But at a price. Thinking himself once more in a delusion, Windell tries to survive as the line between what is and isn't real is blurred. And why does it feel as if he is being watched?

  • ...
32
 396
 15,170

Prologue: Something New...

THE ENTITY is in a vast expanse of non-space. It usually finds itself there, to gather its thoughts, to think on the past, determine the future, and scout the multiverse for anomalies. It muses on how the multiverse is very much like a complex tree. Or fungus. Yes, fungus was a much better term. All universes were connected in some form, branching out from the same past into unique futures, sometimes diverging due to something as miniscule as a stray photon. It was the entity’s duty to maintain this fungus, this tree of many paths, of similar pasts, endless futures, and alternate realities. In this non-space, the streams of the universes that the being could detect could either seem to be the size of a thread, or a stream the circumference of a galaxy. Size was only real in space, after all. And the being flows about this void, careful not to touch the Veils that separate existence from non-existence, it remarks its similarity to a scuba diver exploring a shipwreck.

The entity thinks about how long it has been. Too long, it decides. And it is no closer to finding the core, the seed, the U0. Where infinity began. An impossible task, for an impossible being. It has battled gods across many universes, was even revered as one in a few. It does not consider itself a god. It never did create, and it suspects that it is not immortal, although all of its attempts to prove otherwise have failed. Or, it merely hopes it is not so. Its presence expands and retracts, much like the majority of the beings in the multiverse would do when in times of strong emotion. In its opinion, it isn’t quite the same as a sigh. But it isn’t sure. It has been so long.

Outside of space, in between the roots of the multiverse, time is wonky. Bizarre. The being would even go to describe it as streird. Having infinity at its tendrils allows for entity to come up with a variety of new words in all the languages it has learned. Spending an indefinite amount of time in a place that is outside the influence of space and time causes the consciousness to invent even stranger words. Just the other non-century it invented the word “Klonyturbap”, which, ironically enough, means the feeling one gets when an inter-dimensional being is bored to the point of inventing new words unique to itself or others. Not to be confused with “Klonatukban”, which means the same thing, only in the case of a deity rather than an inter-dimensional being. There’s a difference.

The entity tries to get back on track. Outside the multiverse, time is weird. Time could be dilated in between universes, or it could be consistent. In some cases, time hops around at random intervals, between points in the timelines between universes. The entity shivers as it recalls an incident from millennia ago, when there was a paradoxical species that migrated between two sister universes, without a beginning in either of the two, or in the hundreds of the nearby universes. Although the entity could not feel pain, it swears it developed a migraine during that incident. Paradoxes aside, the real thing that gave the most trouble to the entity was when matter crossed into other realms. Realms that were not supposed to be connected. If the entity would be lucky, it would be nothing more than a rock, or even a seed. If it was slightly unlucky, it would be something trivial like a glass pane, or any other odd object made by a sentient race. Some may seem innocent, but could cause a lot of problems. A tire iron once found itself in a universe before metallurgy was developed. The first thing the natives did was use it as a chew toy. Then one promptly beat another’s brains out. A car door started an industrial revolution in another. Interstellar flight was developed in dozens of universes because of such objects. But the few weapons and magical objects that fell through…the entity tries to recreate a shudder. But still, incidents were avoidable in that case, even in the case of a few mindless beasts unfortunate enough to find themselves in a different reality.

But what caused the most trouble for the entity was when a sentient creature crossed over. Much like any living creature, they cause ripples in the fabric of that reality, interpreted differently across the universes. A solar flare, spatial distortions, magical instability, auric hiccup, all were signs of an incursion of a living being. Fortunately, there is a larger chance of disintegration of complex organisms upon entrance, but it was that small minority that survived that would cause change. Foreign beasts would be seen as oddities and eventually fade into legend. Unlike beasts, sapient creatures had specific guidelines, unique to their race and culture which could drastically affect the universe, causing a split. A branching out, which creates a new universe. But in creating a new universe, it always brings the chance of disaster. One which the entity decided it was its duty to prevent. Persuasion, bribery, intimidation, manipulation, all were means the being used to ensure another universe would not split off. Sometimes it wasn’t enough, and they had to be removed. It still couldn’t find a way to send them back without killing them. Could it still feel regret? It sought inside itself. Over time, it felt deadened, dulled by the consequences of its burdens. But it could still feel its emotions. Anger, sadness, loss, disappointment, amusement. Regret is still there. Like an old friend that never left its side.

Instability. Change. It feels it in the fabric of existence. Something is happening. It moves itself and existence around itself to come to the disturbance. At least a two dozen universes had come in contact with one singular universe, so close together, Veils were almost touching, Beyonds becoming Betweens, and only bubbles of Void in the cluster the consciousness observed. It recognizes the ‘victim’ universe. If it had eyes, it would have rolled them. This realm…it is prone to incidents like this. It, and others almost exactly identical to it have a record of interference, probably due to its unique spatial and magical signatures. And this is by far the worst case it has seen. Fortunately, it seems like no life had‒stop. There it is. Life had crossed into the victim. If the entity is lucky, it wouldn’t be sapient but‒and again! Another one. The entity has to do something. The universes would separate on their own, but now foreign creatures have entered it. Worst part is, they are all from a different ‘set’, so the effects of the universe’s unique physics on life were incalculable. But sapient life… if that is the case, this could be catastrophic. Apocalyptic even. A split could not be allowed to occur. The entity knows the importance of forethought. It can’t stop matter from crossing over, but it could do damage control. But it has to know what it’s dealing with. It observed the more stable universe of the cluster and noticed a familiar U1. The victim realm was also a U1, but the rest were U2’s or U3’s. No U4’s or U5’s, thank the multiverse. Those were just streird. One of the U2’s was supposed to be there, and it seemed to be suffering the same fate as its ‘mother’ U1, a potential victim of incursion. Seeing two U1’s so drastically different once again brought the thought of multiple U0’s to the being’s head. It pushes those thoughts away. Now is not the‒…Wait. What was that? It felt different. Like the entire universe, no, all of existence, shuddered a minute amount. Something crossed over. Something living. Something oddly unique. It has never felt anything like this. Could it be? It vibrates mirthfully. It must go now! It concentrates itself, smaller than a pinhead, smaller than a cell, smaller than a molecule, smaller than even the basic components of the quark. It mends itself into the fabric of that reality, and its essence forms. But it should have concentrated better, as it realized it had arrived a tad early, before the incursions. In a forest, moon high in the sky, with a mare’s face looking down upon the world.

But a few centuries of preparation never hurt anyone.

The being began to change to fit in the environment. Making it so that the light spectrum would be absorbed and reflected rather than allowing photons to pass seamlessly through its essence, it began to work on a body. It would not be alive like any organic being, but it could fool all but the most astute. Cerulean fur would suffice, and a two-tone mane of scarlet and lavender. It supposes it should practice on the female form, so it manipulated the proportions to make it look like a mare. It decides it is better safe than sorry and added more…precise… anatomy. It didn’t know if it’d be flattered to fool peepers, or outright insulted. It makes a mental note not to annihilate any that may look. A simple hoof to the muzzle would do. And lastly, a pair of glasses to cover its eyes. No matter what species it modeled itself after, it could never make its eyes normal. Instead, they constantly leaked memories, like an indestructible balloon filled with water. It is probably something subconscious. It is best to leave them covered. Maybe in the next few centuries, it would figure out how to properly disguise its eyes. Especially considering how big they were in this realm. It‒she looks over her new body. Perfect. Now if only she could replicate a magical signature. Feeling her emotions, she made an effort to move her face into a grimace. Practice, practice, practice. She looks at her emblem. She decides to leave it as is. There is enough deceit, leaving it be is the least she can do.

With a convincing trot towards the capital, June Night the earth pony begins to plan for the coming foreigners. She allows herself a small smile. This is going to be fun.

<><><>

I sat in the dark expanse of infinity. Was I dead? I seemed to be. I felt foreign, out of place. I couldn’t feel myself. The darkness consumed all. So this was the afterlife. It sucked. No matter where I looked, I only saw black. I remember walking towards my house, stretching, sneezing…then, nothing. At least I was conscious. Oh, who was I kidding, I was going to wish I faded into non-existence. At least I would no longer have to worry about having one of my episodes. I contemplated my life in the darkness. I did not scream, I did not panic. I knew it was coming. Sometimes I hoped it would arrive a bit early. But I did not strive for it. I did not break. Not again.

How did I die? Most likely cause was an aneurysm. I wouldn’t be surprised. Did I lead a good life? Debatable. Did I leave anyone behind? Not at all. I was going to miss my collection though. Every book, every movie, every game I have ever played, read, or watched, and so much more. That is how I led my life. Jumping from job to job, all for the sake to sate my desire, my hunger, and my need for stories. Needless to say, using the term ‘bibliophile’ would be an understatement.

“What is death?” I ask myself, or the void, if it cared to listen. “Is it the biological cessation of functions? Or is it to be forgotten? I suspect I am dead in both cases. But if it is our ideas, our emotions, that live on, do we, in a sense, live on with them? In that case, I thrive, I live, and I survive. I have, for better or worse, touched the lives of many, and pieces of me continue to live on with them. If I am to exist in eternity in this purgatory or this hell, so be it. I was dealt a bad hand‒” A real shit one at that, “and I did the best one can do with such. I am dead, trapped here. For what sins? I know which ones I have committed. I do deserve this. But my actions cannot be reversed, my actions live on, and I sit…er, float here, still existing. What is a‒”

“Hello? Who’s up there?” A muffled voice asked.

“…What?”

“Hold on a minute! You seem to be stuck in the tree!” The voice answered. It sounded feminine, and a tad familiar.

“What?” How did I end up in a tree? Did I sneeze that hard?

“Okay, I’ve got a ladder! I’ll get you out of the library foliage!” The female voice called out once more. Library?

“I thought I was stuck in a tree!” I called back. There was a bit of rustling and what seemed to be a lavender light parted the branches. An equally lavender muzzle peaked in with a smile and a huge pair of eyes looked at me.

“You are in a tree! It’s also a library! Isn’t it neat?” She looked at me, eyes scanning my body. “And apparently it's also a pegasus magnet," she thought aloud. I look to my arms, or rather, my forelegs, and my hooves. Shit. She rose an eyebrow, looking at me with interest. “And what was that monologue about death and ideas anyways?” she asked, with her inquisitive eyes wide open, head cocked to the side. “I heard it while I was reading in my bed. Did you think you crashed?”

“Apparently I’m not dead,” I answer her, concentrating on moving my hoof about, and getting used to the feeling of two extra limbs on my back.

“Obviously,” she rolls her ridiculously large eyes. “Anyways I want to-"

“I’m not dead,” I interrupt. I stop looking at my limbs, and stare directly into Twilight’s freaky eyes. “But I’m having a psychotic episode. Please bring me to a hospital.”


Charon the Chronicler introduces

ARC I

of