• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 398 Views, 21 Comments

The first reader pony - Booker Longlegs



When a mysterious pony comes to town, everypony is intrigued. After all, there`s never been a pony whose talent is just reading. They`re welcoming, but they don`t think much of him. However, this reader pony has a few tricks up his sleeve...

  • ...
8
 21
 398

A new pony (edited)

The pony stood in the deserted road. He was tall, with a dark blue coat and a bright yellow mane. If there had been others, they would have stared at this sharp contrast. They would have exchanged glances at the unfocused, almost dreamlike look in his eyes. And, of course, they would have whispered at the trio of books on his flank. It was a routine the pony was familiar with, and why he had remained hidden until things quieted down.

The pony looked around, wondering where he could buy what he needed. One store in particular caught his eye, Sugarcube Corner. He walked inside, breathing in the smell of freshly baked bread and cookies. He spotted a bright pink pony behind the counter. He resigned himself to an awkward conversation, and approached her. “Excuse me, I-” he began.

“Ooooh, ooooh, let me guess!” the pink pony interrupted, “You want cookies!” The pony opened his mouth to reply, but the pink pony immediately said, “No, wait. You want apples! Sorry, we don't have apples, but we do have bread, and cupcakes, and cookies, and cake! So many cakes! Pound cake, chocolate cake, marble cake, fruit cake, pumpkin cake-” The pony had been growing more and more confused the more she kept talking. As she continued to list all the different kinds of cake, though, confusion turned to amusement. She just kept on rattling off whatever popped into her mind, quickly and unceasingly. The pony couldn’t help but laugh. “What's so funny?” asked the pink pony. She looked so confused that the pony had to laugh again.

“I'm sorry,” said the pony, “It's just that, this isn't what I'd expected at all.”

“What do you mean?” said the pink pony.

“Well, when a customer enters a store,” he said, “they expect to order, not have the clerk guess what they want. When a new pony comes to town, they expect to answer questions, not learn about the types of cake. And when I go anywhere, I expect ponies to ask about my cutie mark, not to have it completely ignored.”

“It's nice to be surprised. It's like a party!” she gasped, “That's right! I need to throw you a surprise party! Except now it's not a surprise, 'cause you know, and-”

“Okay, okay,” he said quickly, “That's why I'm here. I came to get a cake to celebrate moving.”

“Great!” she exclaimed, “How much do you need? I've got enough for ten ponies, or twenty, or fifty, or-”

“Just enough for two, please.” he said.

“WHAT!” she screamed, “You're only inviting one friend to your party?!”

“It isn't really a party,” he explained, “It's just something sweet for my sister and I to have for our first few days in Ponyville.”

“Oooh, you have a sister? What's her name?” she asked.

The pony felt a small smile grow on his face. “You know, you may be the first pony I've ever met to ask my sister's name before mine.” he said.

“Well, my name's Pinkie Pie,” said Pinkie, “That's one name I know. Oooh, and I know lots of others, too. Twilight, Rarity, Applejack-” The pony was quickly realizing that the only way to say anything to Pinkie was to interrupt.

“I'm Booker Longlegs,” he said, “and my sister's name is Pink Rain.”

“Ooooh, is she pink like me?” asked Pinkie.

Booker`s smile grew a bit. “Yes”

“What's her talent?” she said

“She's an artist. She puts dye inside rainclouds and moves them around to make pictures.” he said

“Oh, that sounds so neat! What's your talent?” she said.

And there it is. thought Booker. “My talent is reading.”

“Oh. That isn't nearly as cool as painting with rain.” she said, sounding disappointed.

Booker sighed, “I know. In fact, I might be the most uncool pony in all of Equestria.”

“There have to be other reader ponies,” Pinkie reasoned, “Some of them are bound to be less cool than you.”

Booker chuckled a bit at that. “If there are others like me, I haven't found them. As far as I know, I'm the only pony whose talent is reading.”

“Is that why you said you expected people to ask about your cutie mark?” Booker nodded, and Pinkie grew incredibly serious, “Still, you can laugh,” she said, “That's something,” she reverted back to her usual, cheery self. “And here's something else, I've got a friend I think you'll like. She loves to read, too.”

Booker looked at Pinkie hopefully. “Is her talent reading?” he asked.

Pinkie laughed, “No, silly. Her talent's magic. She just really likes to read.”

Booker`s hopes fell a bit, but not too much. He'd long since accepted his fate. “Either way, I'd love to meet her.”

“Yay! This is perfect! You can meet Twilight, and she can meet you! She loves studying weird stuff, like reader ponies.”-Booker`s smile faded at that-“and I can get started on your welcome party! Oh, but it's supposed to be a surprise…” she trailed off, looking very put-out.

Booker couldn't help it, he smiled at that. “Well, if there was a party, I'm sure I could act surprised.”

Pinkie brightened up at that. “You'd really do that?” she asked.

“Of course I would” he replied.

“Great! Come on, I'll show you where Twilight lives.” Just like that, she was off. Booker shook his head. He cast a look around the shop. I didn't even get my cake. he thought. Whatever he'd been expecting, it certainly hadn't been Pinkie Pie. He set out after her.

By this time, the town, previously empty, was bustling with activity. There were all kinds of ponies, construction ponies, gardener ponies, and restaurant ponies. They all paused to stare at the strange blue and yellow unicorn. They all exchanged glances with each other at the unfocused, almost dreamlike look in his eyes. And, of course, they all whispered at the trio of books on his flank. It was a routine Booker was familiar with, and why he would have liked to remain hidden. Pinkie was going fast, though, so he did his best to ignore it all and simply press on.