• Published 9th Feb 2015
  • 6,842 Views, 101 Comments

Cut it Out - Kickback



Aria Blaze falls in love. This could possibly be the worst thing to happen ever.

  • ...
16
 101
 6,842

Love Bites

I slither like a viper
And get you by the neck
I know a thousand ways to help you forget about her
That bitch can eat her heart out!
Love bites, but so do I, so do I.


Aria couldn't help but grit her teeth to herself.

Barely minutes ago, she was a kick-ass, punk-rock diva on the prowl. The heads that swiveled her way only stoked the fires of her confidence and spurred her on in her quest for retribution. Now, here she was, her brow lowered and her arms crossed briskly, flush against her abdomen, following someone else like she'd always had. She lingered behind him by barely a single step's worth but to her, it felt like her neck was chained to a ten-foot leash and he was holding the handle with a vice-like grip. He didn't say a word and neither did she. What would there be to say? She didn't have anything to say to him. One doesn't need to speak in order to murder someone and that's just about all Aria wanted to make the extent of their interaction. Yet, she followed him.

When he turned a corner, she groaned and followed. When he took out his phone to switch the track pumping into his ears, she rolled her eyes and followed. The few lingering students littering the halls that weren't in the gym for whatever stupid human reasons they had still coiled their way. Their way, not her way. That's something that truly bugged Aria. They didn't see her, not like before when she was with her sisters, they saw her...and him.

Together.

A pair of girls standing by an opened classroom door caught Aria's attention as she followed when they turned, her gaze flicking between their own. They turned back to each other and giggled, there was something about the empty bitterness in that laugh that annoyed Aria. You don't annoy the toughest Siren. Just as she passed them, her ear caught the muffled comment one of them made.

"Looks like the goths have found love at last."

Aria stopped.

She barely noticed Grimlock walking on without her, her brain seemed to simply stop processing information as her body stood rigid, frozen in the same crossed-armed pose she strolled in. Slowly, her head cocked to the pair, red brimming at the edges of her vision.

She walked up to the girl. Waited for her to notice she was there. Brought her arm back.

And punched the bitch square in the face. She went back, out cold. The other one just kind of stood there with her jaw reaching the ground.

You don't annoy the toughest fucking Siren.

When she turned back and started up walking, she was immediately caught off-guard. Grimlock had stopped at some point and had his body turned but more importantly, he was looking right at her. His ivory locks teasing at the edges of his glasses, she could feel his eyes on her. Aria instinctively went to just blow at her hanging bang and avert her eyes but that's when she noticed his lips curled into a small smile.

There was something about that smirk that made her, indeed, avert her eyes but not in the way she wanted.

The second he turned back around and started walking ahead again, Aria's eyes bulged with rage. She followed on. She cursed to herself again and again, hoping to whatever omnipotent entity of evil that would hear her cries that it would make her face feel cold and not...warm like it was. Still, she followed. To her credit and slight glee, not another disgusting human batted an eye at them her and-WHY THE HELL WAS SHE STILL FOLLOWING HIM?!

That's when she focused her attention on the music again.

During every step, every turn, every towing stride she took, she listened. She listened intently, like it was guiding her, like a moth to a flame except the flame was moving. Aria felt a sudden slight strain on the muscles in her face but shrugged it off and just listened. Nothing else mattered to her when she listened to the music. What else was there? She took comfort in that and just listened. There was a slight misdirection in her steps but she didn't notice. Her eyelids felt heavy but she didn't notice. All there was was the music and her, the waving of her free-flowing her, swinging like a pendulum back and forth behind her and the clikkity-clack on her boots, thumping along with the distorted symphony. She didn't even notice that her arms had unfolded and now hung slack by her sides, swaying uselessly.

That's when she felt it.

Ever so lightly, her fingertips brushed against something warm and textured. It...didn't really feel bad to her but she kept it at the front of her mind that she hated surprises or, for that matter, physical contact. So why didn't it bother her?

And then suddenly, it really, really bothered her.

Aria's eyes snapped wide open when she noticed Grimlock looking back at her, uncharacteristically appearing confused. She had half a mind to punch him in the jaw but for some reason, she just crossed her arms again and averted her eyes to the side.

It wasn't long after that she suddenly found herself outside. She only really took note of that when she automatically let a thin grin slip across her features when a stray cloud blotted out the sun. There she stood, leaning back on the hard bricked wall of the school, slowly growing more and more irritable. Standing beside her was the same cause of all her recent problems, right there, within eye-gouging distance. Yet, she did nothing. Without any real compelling feeling to go by, strangely enough, Aria tried to feel content just hanging at the back of the school, alone, in (mostly) silence...with him. At least that idiot, Sonata wasn't here to ruin it for her with her stupid stupidity and at least Grimlock was quiet.

The only way they'd look like stereotypical high school goths is that if they were smoking. Aria chuckled a little at that thought.

As her mouth closed to a curled smile, her head rolled to the side, her eyes landing back on the form of the catalyst to everything wrong with her life. Aria decided that the human was now literally the source of all her problems. Ever. That's just how much she hated him. Even if it didn't make sense, he just was. Yet, the smile on her mug didn't wipe off her face until she made a conscious effort to do so, something that weirded her out immensely.

Her gaze lingered back to the thin chord extending the length of his torso and her eyebrow cocked slightly at the sight of one of the dividing speakers just hanging there. Aria took note of the length of the thinner chord and steadily, the urge got evermore compelling. Her super Siren hearing or whatever wasn't picking up anything, so she assumed nothing was playing. Without really paying attention to what she was doing or rather, what it looked like she was doing, Aria moved closer to her latest nemesis. She didn't see him slightly turn to look down at her as she took the suspended earphone in her fingers, carefully.

Tentatively, she brought the small black bud up to her ear, the distorted symphony bringing a feeling of excitement rising in her chest. As she fastened the speaker within the grooves of her ear, Aria...

...beautiful.

Fucking Beautiful!


There she sat, her back against the wall, one knee tucked into herself while her other leg lay lazily, flat along the ground. Her free purple and ebony hair dropped and hung chaotically from her head as it tilted ever so slightly to the side, propped up by something. Her arms loosely and comfortably crossed over her stomach and her dark lashes came together in a river of black where her deep purple eyes would be. To her, there was nothing. In her mind, there was nothing. Nothing but the blaring sounds echoing from the tiny black bud lodged in her ear. She focused hard on it, to the point where it was second nature to her, the silence that reigned in her other ear making it all the easier. For the first time since she could remember, she was at peace and that brought a genuinely happy smile to spread across her mouth.

Ring.

She frowned. Damn school bell.

Aria's eyes gently opened to nothing but a blurry haze clouding her vision. Why was she so tired? She reached up a hand to brush her hair back but something stopped her or rather, did it for her.

Aria involuntarily gulped as her eyes widened, her mouth curling into a suddenly sick-looking frown. Why did her face feel so warm? Aria watched, silent and shaking as a hand, larger than her own morphed into her sight and gently brushed her stray locks back. At first, she thought it would bring it behind her ears but instead seemed to know what she wanted and brought it to gently dangle over her left eye. Just like that, as soon as it appeared, it vanished from sight and all she could do was just sit there, stunned.

Slowly, Aria swiveled her head in the direction of where the hand came from. She had to know, even though she couldn't believe it, she had to. That's when she noticed that her head was already slanted and she was leaning on something. No, not the wall, she knew that but...what was she laying her head on? Oh, by Sea, let it not be...

Aria's eyes shot to the side. Then up.

And as if on cue, the speaker in her ear fell from it's hinges all on it's own. It was comical, really.

Oh, fuck. It was him. She was leaning on him! Why were they even this close?! Oh, God, now he was looking at her! Why won't he say anything? Why isn't she saying anything?! Why does he still have both of his eyeballs?! WHAT IS THAT NOISE?! What happened?! Why was her face so fucking hot?! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPE-

Oh. Yeah, now she remembered.

Hours.

They had been alone together here for hours. Why? How, even?!


"Heheh...I love this song..."

"...Yeah...me too."


Aria suddenly felt very sick. Again.

Her face turned a shade of green, feeling as if she was going to throw up on spot, she brought a hand up to her mouth out of reflex. Her body shot right up and her eyes bulged. Oh, fuck, here it comes. Quick! Dive for the bushes-

To her side, Grimlock rolled onto his feet and stood up to his full height. Her head snapped to him, standing above her as she struggled to keep in the confines of her stomach. Except, she wasn't. As she watched him gently tilt his head so that their eyes met, the bile rising in her throat seemed to die down. He didn't smile, just stood there with his hands in his pockets, staring down at her. Evermore, her body just seemed to ease under his gaze in a way she couldn't explain. Not that she was complaining, I-I mean, she was, of course! He was looking at her and she hated him, he should stop looking at her! But...whatever it was, she didn't feel sick anymore. Not like before. Not like yesterday when the mere thought of him made her want to upchuck.

It was different...and not overly-unpleasant. Aria remained cautious, even as her hands dropped to her sides and her lungs took in a deep, relieving breath of air as her stomach settled.

And that's when he did smile.

"C'mon." He said. Aria was slightly shocked that she heard him say anything. No, not anything new, just straight up, anything. He bent downwards slightly, extending his hand. "Let's get a drink."

Much to her disdain, Aria's first reaction was to actually take his hand. Her face got warm again at that, why does it keep doing that? She glared as hard as she could, gritted her teeth and slapped his open palm away. That stupid smile never left his face. Aria grumbled and got to her feet, her back hurt at that. She didn't care, she was suddenly very thirsty and even though she was sure Adagio would have her head the next time she saw her, one drink couldn't hurt. Depending on what it was.

Oh, wait, he was already leaving.

Brushing the grass from her butt, she took off following.

But she had no idea why.

This wasn't part of the plan...just what the fuck was she doing?

Little did she know that her current escort was having the exact same self-questioning experience.

Author's Note:

I love Halestorm so much, it's soooooo Aria
...I think I've been watchin' too much anime.
I also think I need a proof-reader.