• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 3,478 Views, 124 Comments

The Great and Powerful Failure - Sarizon



With the mane 6 wanting to throw a party for the new castle, an unexpected guest returns to Ponyville, only she isn't as Great and Powerful as she used to be. She claims she has changed, but will the rest of the mane 6 forgive her like Twilight did?

  • ...
2
 124
 3,478

Chapter 8 - A Smell No Rabbit Can Resist

As Trixie walked in, her face grew in shock for what she saw was a hog-tied Discord, bouncing up and down in the middle of the room with tape over his mouth. Trixie was confused as to how Discord could end up like this, especially after hearing how much of a trickster Discord is along with his ability to slither out of almost any situation. Trixie began unloosing the ropes on Discord's legs and feet, and all the while, Discord was murmuring something through the tape on his mouth. Not being able to understand what Discord was trying to say, Trixie ripped off the tape on Discord's mouth. Perhaps, a little too hard as Discord grew tears in his eyes.

"YEEAAOOOWWW," Cried Discord.

Discord rubbed his cheeks from the stinging sensation of the tape ripped from his face.

"Sorry Discord! What happened to you?"

"Oh it was that pesky Angel Bunny! While I was handing out carrots to all of the rabbits, Angel Bunny came up to me wanting two, but I told him it wouldn't be fair to the other rabbits if I gave him two, and they only got one. He seemed angry and hopped into the kitchen, but I just shrugged it off. I turned around to feed some rabbits that were behind me, and next thing you know, I got hit over the head with some blunt object and fell on the ground. I gained consciousness a few minutes ago, and what I saw was Angel leading all these rabbits into a revolt, handing each a second carrot from the bag. I tried to stop them, only to realize I was tied up and couldn't move. Before I could even call for help, tape was put onto my mouth. The only thing I could do was bounce... up... an-"

Discord stopped talking as he noticed that Trixie had tears in her eyes, biting her bottom lip, and trying desperately not to laugh. It didn't work though, and Trixie began an outburst of laughter. Discord just simply rolled my eyes, and even blushed a little bit.

"Haha...I-I'm sorry Discord, ahehe... That's just... too funny!"

Discord shook his head, smiled, and said, "Yes, I suppose it is."

After calming down and wiping her tears from her eyes, Trixie looked back up at Discord.

"I assume Angel Bunny was the white rabbit that jumped over me with the bag?"

"You would guess right," said Discord, "Did you see where they went?"

"They all rushed passed me towards the nearby bushes and trees in the forest. They could be anywhere by now."

Discord sighed after hearing that.

Putting a head to his head, Discord said in a dramatic tone, "It will take us all day to find every last rabbit, and I don't want to miss that party tonight... I'm a party animal... Not to mention Fluttershy. She'll be devastated."

Trixie began to think about how she can lure the rabbits back.

"Is there anything that Fluttershy has that could attract the rabbits back to her home?"

Discord thought about it for a minute.

"Well, there is one way we could attract those rabbits back here," said Discord.

"What is it?" asked Trixie.

"Why, carrot stew of course. That stew would create an aroma that no rabbit could ever resist."

Trixie thought it was a pretty good idea, except for one thing.

"It's a great idea... Only... We don't have any carrots, Discord."

"...Well...There is...One more," replied Discord.

"Really? Where is it?"

Discord pointed to a cabinet with a giant lock on it. The cabinet was far bigger than what would regularly hold a simple carrot. Trixie was very curious as to actually how big this carrot could possibly be.

"Do you know where the key is Discord?"

Discord just shrugged his shoulders.

"Your guess is as good as mine, Trixie. It could be anywhere."

Trixie let out a sigh, then said, "Well, I guess we better get to looking then."

Discord nodded and so the two began searching throughout Fluttershy's home. The two searched for what felt like an eternity. Trixie was back into the kitchen, hoping that she just missed a spot.

"Nope not here... Maybe.... No... I'm not finding anywhere Discord."

"Find what?"

"They key, Discord!"

"Oh. You mean this key?"

Trixie turned to Discord, to see that Discord had the key to the lock in his hand, floating in the air. Trixie's couldn't believe it.

"Did... Did you have the key the whole time!"

Discord laughed and said, "Of course I did. Just because I'm good now, doesn't mean I can't still plays tricks on ponies."

Trixie wanted to yell at Discord, but realized it wouldn't do any good for her.

"Just... Please open the cabinet."

Discord simply laughed and inserted the key into the lock. With one twist to the right, the lock was released, and the cabinet door opened. Trixie's mouth dropped.

The cabinet almost didn't seem big enough for the carrot. Trixie couldn't believe that a carrot could even get this big. Fluttershy must have one of the best farming suppliers in all of Equestria. Discord grabbed the giant carrot out of the cabinet. Even for Discord, this carrot was quite heavy, as he put it on his back.

Straining, Discord said to Trixie, "L-Let's make carrot stew, shall we?"

Trixie was still speechless by the size of the carrot, so She simply nodded to Discord. Discord put the carrot onto the kitchen island and took a minute to breath. While recovering, Discord pointed to a book in the corner of the kitchen counter.

"The recipe book is over there," said Discord.

Trixie acknowledged this and went to grab the book. She dusted the book off, as it doesn't seem like it's been used in awhile. "Equestrian Living" was the title of the book, with a picture of what looked like some delicious meal that anypony would enjoy. Trixie brought the book to the kitchen island.

"Should I make the carrot stew, or would you prefer to do so, Trixie?" asked Discord.

"Well... I'm not so good at making things as I thought... As I found out at Pinkie's earlier. Perhaps I could read you the ingredients and give you any ingredients you might need for the stew as you cook it?"

"Hmmm, that's not a bad idea... Alright, we'll work together then."

Discorded gave his hand to Trixie, and Trixie placed her hoof into his. Discord shook her hoof, and they began. Trixie turned to the "Carrot Specialties" section of the book.

"Here it is, Discord. Let's see.... The recipe seems fairly easy. We will just need a lot of the ingredients is all."

"I don't think that will be a problem," replied Discord, "Fluttershy has plenty of vegetables and goods to make for every rabbit in that forest."

"Wow. She really does care for her animals does she?"

"You don't even know."

The two shared a laugh and began work on the carrot stew. While Discord began cutting the giant carrot, Trixie read the instructions and would go to grab the necessary ingredients to put into the giant pot the stew would be created in. With each step Trixie told Discord, Discord would put more ingredients into the pot. Although it was quite a task, Trixie was having a fun time helping Discord. As he was mixing the ingredients, Discord told Trixie stories about how he changed for the better, thanks to Fluttershy and the other "Element Equine's", and also how he was once on the side and then betrayed by Tirek. Trixie learned a lot about Discord, and with each story, Trixie and Discord become more of friends.

The carrot stew was almost complete, and the aroma of the stew began to fill the whole house.

"Okay Trixie, open the window, and set the aroma free into the wild," said Discord.

Trixie cooperated and opened the kitchen window, and with a little help of Discord fanning, the aroma flew towards the forest . The rabbits were huddled around Angel, as he was giving some sort of a speech, but was instantly halted by a smell in the air. His big fluffy ears sank down as he and every rabbit there knew what that smell could be.

Trixie and Discord began pouring carrot stew into each little bowl for the rabbits when suddenly, they began to feel a slight rumble in the distance.

When Trixie and Discord looked out the window, what they saw was a swarm of rabbits rushing out of the forest, towards the house. Angel was still carrying the bag of carrots, but with the aroma of carrot stew taking over his mind, he just simply let go of the bag on the edge of the forest, and caught up with the rest of the rabbits.

"It's feeding time!" Yelled Trixie.

"Right behind you!" said Discord.

Trixie opened the front door, and all of the rabbits stormed in, all lined up accordingly to each bowl of carrot stew. When each rabbit was in, Trixie immediately closed the door behind them, to insure that no rabbit would escape again. With that done, the rabbits began to dig into their bowls. Each rabbit was eating with a satisfied look on their faces, which made Trixie and Discord feel like they accomplished their goal.


Fluttershy and the birds were wrapped up practice, and Fluttershy waved goodbye to them.

"Same time tomorrow little birdies," said Fluttershy.

As Fluttershy flew home, she was hoping that Trixie was able to help her animals just fine. When Fluttershy was flying toward her home, she caught a whiff of something that smelled absolutely delicious.

"Oh my. What is that wonderful smell? It smells like... Carrot stew?!? Hmm, maybe Discord was hungry."

Fluttershy was about to stop at her door, but in the corner of her eye, she noticed a brown bag laying near the forest. She opened it and saw that it was her carrot bag.

"Wait. If the carrots are out here, then how is Discord.... Oh no..."

Fearing the worst, Fluttershy quickly rushed into her home. Fluttershy opened the door, and saw all of her little rabbits laying on her floor and furniture. he rabbits were absolutely stuffed, with their bellies poking out everywhere.

"Wha-What happened?" asked a concerned Fluttershy.

Trixie turned around and noticed Fluttershy.

"Fl-Fluttershy! I-I can explain..."

Fluttershy looked over to the kitchen to see the remains of the carrot stew.

"Did you make carrot stew for my little bunnies?"

Trixie replied, "Well, me and Disco-"

Trixie wasn't able to finish the sentence, as she saw Fluttershy's mouth wide open looking at the once locked big cabinet that was now wide open.

Fluttershy asked,"Trixie. What happened to the big carrot that was in the cabinet? You didn't use it did you?"

Trixie began to panic, "I...Uhm... *sigh* I'm sorry Fluttershy."

Fluttershy put the pieces together. The carrot bag left outside, The aroma, the bowls, and now, the missing big carrot.

Fluttershy gasped and said, "Oh Trixie. I was waiting to give Angel Bunny that carrot for his birthday. It cost me quite a few bits too."

Angel was fast asleep after eating almost three bowls worth of carrot stew, and didn't hear what Fluttershy just said. Trixie saw Fluttershy looking down, and began to feel awful for what she did.

"I-I'm so sorry, Fluttershy. It's m-"

"It's my fault Fluttershy."

Fluttershy looked up to see Discord walking into the kitchen.

Discord said, "I was the one who told Trixie we should make carrot stew, and I unlocked the cabinet to get the big carrot. We had no other choice, for you see, I let the rabbits escape, along with the carrot bag. I'm sorry Fluttershy, I know you were keeping that carrot for Angel's birthday. I hop you can forgive me"

Trixie knew that Discord wasn't the one who let the rabbits escape the house and was about to say something about it, but Discord looked at Trixie and gave her a wink, saying it's okay. Trixie nodded and stayed silent. Fluttershy was silent for a few seconds, but looked back at Trixie and Discord with a smile.

"It's okay, Discord. You were only trying to help Trixie."

Fluttershy then hugged Trixie.

"Thank you for helping Discord bring my little bunnies back home. It was some great thinking for you two to come up with a plan like that. I haven't made carrot stew in so long, but seeing as how my little bunnies like it so much, I might have to make some again."

Trixie replied,"You're welcome, Fluttershy. Hey, since I helped make the stew, I'll help you and Discord clean up the bowls.

"Oh, It's quite alright...You don't have to."

"I insist," said Trixie.

"Well...okay then."

With that said and done, Trixie began to help Fluttershy and Discord clean up the living room. They all made sure not to make any loud noises to wake up any of the sleeping rabbits.

"So, Trixie, were you able to help the beavers with their dam?"

"I believe I was, Fluttershy. You see..."

Trixie went on to tell Fluttershy every detail of how she was able to help the beavers, with the branches, along with the old rope she found. Fluttershy was very happy to hear that Trixe was able to succeed with helping the beavers. At least, they thought it was a success.

The front door was suddenly pushed wide open. The door caused a loud bang when it hit the wall. Fluttershy and Trixie both stared at the doorway, and saw a very drenched beaver. Every rabbit woke up from the loud noise the door made, and they all scattered out of the door way again, only much slower and tired, back to the forest. The beaver was followed by a few more drenched beavers that all walked to Trixie and start shaking their fist.

"Little beavers, what's wrong? What happened?" asked Fluttershy.

One beaver held up the rope that Trixie used to hold the dam up to Fluttershy. The rope was snapped in the middle, and seeing as how wet the beavers were, Trixie knew that the rope didn't hold the dam like she hoped it would. Trixie felt awful for the poor beavers.

"I'm sorry little beavers. I thought I helped, bu once again, I failed. I guess I can't even make a dam right."

"Oh Trixie...It's not your fault," said Fluttershy.

"Yes it is... I should've realized that old rope wouldn't hold up against a water current...I'm sorry again. I guess I'll move on to Applejack's..."

Trixie walked out of Fluttershy's home with her head down, still feeling shame for what she thought was her fault. Fluttershy tried to grab Trixie's attention, but she couldn't do anything except watch Trixie walk away.

"Oh my Discord... I just hope she'll be okay," said Fluttershy.

Discord replied, "I'm sure she will, Fluttershy. I'm sure she will."

Fluttershy then had a thought.

"Maybe... We can make some more of that carrot stew that you and Trixie made for the party tonight. Then when she sees that the other ponies like the stew, then maybe that will cheer her up."

"That's not a bad idea Fluttershy. I'll get the pot ready again."

"I've already got the bag of carrots again. So let's get started."

After all the commotion at Fluttershy's home was done, Rainbow Dash flew out from behind the roof and began to fly behind Trixie once again. After seeing what Trixie has done so far today, Rainbow Dash has begun to have second thoughts about the light blue pony. Anytime Trixie seemed like she was up to no good, Rainbow Dash was completely wrong, and Trixie ended up trying her best to do something right, and yet, nothing ever did go right for the poor pony. Trixie made cupcakes with Pinkie, but ended up making a mess by mistake. She was learning to make a dress with Rarity, only to get shut out by Spike. She even tried to help some beavers with their dam at first successfully, but only for it to turn around on her and the dam break anyways.

Rainbow Dash was starting to, dare she say, feel bad for the light blue pony. The only problem that was still persisting her from wanting to believe and help Trixie... Was that locket. Rainbow Dash just can't help but feel that it wasn't just some ordinary locket. After all, last time Trixie had a neck piece, she outright took over Ponyville. Rainbow Dash just needed an opportunity to see what the locket really is before she can make a conclusion, and who better to find out something suspicious than Applejack. Having that thought, Rainbow Dash flew to Sweet Apple Acre's before Trixie made it there to discuss the locket with Applejack.

Author's Note:

OH MY GOD!!!! So sorry for letting this one take so long to come out. Sleep got the best of me, and I had plans today, so I wasn't able to finish the story until just now.

I certainly hope you all enjoy this, as I will try to get Chapter 9 up soon. Let me just say, these next few chapters... Are about to get VERY interesting... Be prepared, that's all I'm saying :raritywink: haha

See you then!!!