• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 4,115 Views, 230 Comments

Artemis - gcsmith



The story of Artemis, an average young adult and his adventures of Equestria.

  • ...
16
 230
 4,115

Chapter 9 - The Hospital

So it seems you guys are lucky the second chapter in two days, spent a lot of today to make sure it was right, didn't seem right to only have 1 chapter in a week.

Twilight was reading silently in the library, spike had long since gone to bed so she was surrounded by all the books she thought she might be interested in reading that night.
She was brought out of her current book, Runes and Runic Meanings: Anthology, by a loud knock at the door. Well that wasn’t quite true, it was more the sound of the door knocking against the back wall as it was blasted out of its hinges.

Twilight shot up at the loud bang, knocking books in every direction she sighed, Spike would have his work cut out tomorrow. As she looked towards the door she saw the ruins of the frame and sighed again, until she noticed a distraught crying Lyra standing in the doorway, panting heavily.

As Twilight started to open her mouth to ask what on earth was wrong with her, Lyra’s legs gave way beneath her and she collapsed into a heap on the floor. A concerned Twilight went over to see what was wrong and as she did so Lyra grabbed hold of her and started crying into her mane.

“Lyra what on earth is wrong?” Twilight asked calmly, forgiving her friend for staining her mane with tears. Lyra responded with a explanation so fast pace Twilight couldn’t gather any of it.
“Lyra, please you have to be a bit slower.” Twilight snapped, she instantly regretted it but she was tired and Lyra had disturbed her perfectly peaceful reading time.

Lyra again explained a bit too quick, however one word stood out to Twilight, Artemis.
Upon hearing the human’s name she instantly sprang to attention and gripped Lyra tightly with her forelegs, “Lyra, speak carefully, what’s happened to Artemis?”

Between the tear falls Twilight picked out a few words, “Artemis... Bonbon... Road”.

With that Twilight looked terrified, she picked Lyra up with her magic and ignoring the ruins of the door she sprinted towards Lyra and Bonbon’s flat.

As she ran towards the flat she couldn’t help be think of terrible scenes of Artemis badly injured, or worse, Artemis being the cause of some issue. However what she saw as she approached the flat was worse than all expectations.

From a distance she could see the form of Bonbon, partially illuminated by the street lights crying and pressing down on a shape in the road. However, as she got closer she could see it wasn’t just a shape.

There in the middle of the road, with Bonbon pressing a piece of cloth against a wound in the head, was Artemis.

Twilight knew that somehow Bonbon and Lyra must be involved but she was too upset to think clearly, too upset to even cry. Here was her friend, her ward, the first human in equestria, a person far away from home and had been put under her care by the princess’s and he was lying completely still in the road with what appeared two broken legs and how many other injuries beyond the wound in the head.

As Twilight approached the body even closer she was worried at first he might be dead, but the noticed he was breathing. Noticing someone approaching, Bonbon turned her head and tried to begin to speak, “Twi..” but she couldn’t finish her sentence or meet Twilights eye.

Twilight held the tears and fear at bay and tried to regain her composure, right now her friend needed her, and feeling sorry or crying wouldn’t help him.

Putting Lyra down by Bonbon she turned to both of them,
“We need to get him to the hospital.” and both Lyra and Bonbon nodded.
“I can carry him on my back, Lyra you take over putting pressure on the wound on his head, and Bonbon can you run ahead and make sure they know we are coming.”
Twilight lifted Artemis onto her back using his magic, and Bonbon and Lyra switched over, Lyra particularly glad she wouldn’t need to do any more running. Bonbon seeing Twilight was ready to go, she wiped her eyes and after a quick flex of her legs she sprinted towards the hospital.

As Bonbon arrived at the hospital it was beginning to slow down for the night shift, with several doctors preparing to punch out for the day.
All of the doctors as well as the receptionist were shocked when a tear and bloodstained bonbon sprinted into the hospital lobby.

Feeling like she wanted to collapse bonbon managed to stand up just long enough to explain the situation before falling into a heap.

While the receptionist went to comfort Bonbon, the doctors, all tired and weary sprang into Action, it seemed like they would be working over time. While all the doctors went to prepare for their incoming patient, all bar one of them were solemn. One however, was positively beaming, this Doctor in particular had a cane cutie mark and walked with a limp. Cracking open a canister he took some pills for his bad leg and smiled, a human patient, this sounded like a real challenge for once.

Realizing he was now alone with the receptionist and Bonbon, he turned and limped after the other doctors to help prepare. For the first time in a while he was smiling. His name was Doctor Hoof, head of diagnostic medicine.


Artemis awoke to a world filled with pain and a headache the likes he had never felt before, he thought his head would split open with the pain.
Before moving Artemis thought he would assess the situation, his body ached all over, with the main sources of pain being in his head and legs. It also appeared that Artemis was in a bed, but it felt different, the sheets softer than the sheets he had at his bed at the library the night previously.

He tried to think back to how he got here, but all he could remember was a fire and Lyra, and no he didn’t did he? He thought he remembered a kiss but that could never of happened. Could it?

Feeling no point in feigning sleep, or at least he wouldn’t learn any more information by doing so Artemis opened his eyes.
He instantly wished he hadn’t, a bright white light scorching his cornea.
Artemis emitted a small groan, which didn’t go unnoticed by a gruff brown pony sitting beside his bed.

“You’re awake then?” the pony asked, and Artemis lifted a hand to his eyes to filter them in response. “Good, you’re lucky you know.” he continued.

Artemis opened his eyes again, his hand blocking the worst of the glare and glanced around. Next to him was a brown stallion, with a cane on his flank, the stallion appeared to have 1 bad leg and was in the process of consuming some pills as Artemis was looking around.

Next Artemis noticed his bed, which consisted of bright white silk and the room around them also appeared white without a blemish, nothing such as a picture or a vase of flowers breaking the sea of white he found himself in.

“Where am I?” Artemis asked, his throat hoarse.

“Why my fellow, you’re in Ponyville Hospital.” the Brown stallion replied, “And a good thing too, that bash on your noggin was a serious one.”

Artemis lifted his hand to his head and felt more silk, a bandage of course.

“If you don’t mind me asking, who are you?” Artemis inquired of his bedside sitter.

“Why I am Doctor house.” Of course Artemis should have known, the bad leg and the pills as well as the cane cutie mark. Artemis laughed.

“Does my name amuse you?”

“Nope,” Artemis coughed, his laugh being cut short at being accused of making fun of the stallion. “You just remind me of someone.”

“You better not be, after all I saved your life.”

“My life...”

“Oh dear me, you mean you don’t remember.” It was Dr house’s turn to laugh. “I guess that’s understandable after such an injury, still there should be no lasting damage and your memory should return soon, ish.”
“Anyway last night you were caught in some sort of Altercation, you suffered a cranial fracture, luckily with no swelling, and suffered fracture in each leg, which lucky for you we were able to set, and restore to beyond new might I add.”

“Still you were lucky that Bonbon got here when she did, we had almost left for the night.”

Upon hearing Bonbon’s name, Artemis’ memory started to return, he remembered her angry snort and the last thing he remembered was flying through the air after her hooves had kicked him out of the window.

A fleeting look of pain and anger flitted across Artemis’ face but was gone as soon as it had come. “So Bonbon brought me in?”

“Yes, her Lyra and Miss Sparkle brought you in.” The Dr chuckled, “And what a state you were in, it made me all excited.”

“My injuries excited you?” Artemis wondered incredibly puzzled and possibly insulted.

“But of course. I mean you’re a new creature and with such extensive injuries, it was such a challenge to get you mended properly, it was rather invigorating I should thank you.”

Artemis sighed, this guy really was like house.

“Anyway,” the Dr started, “Now that you’re awake there some ponies that would like to see you.”

With that the Dr got up and left the room, leaving a slight serene atmosphere, that lasted at least until eight ponies and a dragon came streaming into the room.

All of a sudden Artemis was mobbed by 8 sets of teary eyes, all happy to see him. After the initial rush they noticed they were crowding him and back off, all save Bonbon who was still hugging Artemis deeply and sobbing into his hospital gown.

As Artemis looked down at the sobbing mare, the room seemed to hold its collective breath each of the ponies and spike wondering how Artemis would react.

Sensing the silence in the room Bonbon looked up at Artemis, not quite making his eyes.
“Sorry,” was all she managed until she broke down into tears again, burying her muzzle deep into his chest.

Slowly Artemis started to respond, he raised his arm and everyone in the room collectively flinched as he moved it towards Bonbon, but to everyponies surprise, especially Bonbons, he embraced her in a deep hug.

As everypony stood still in amazement they heard Artemis start to laugh. This caused everypony looking, including Bonbon to stare quizzically at him.

“Why is everyone so glum?” he asked, “Anyone would think I was actually dead or something.” With that he looked down again at bonbon and gave her mane a quick ruffle.
“That means I forgive you.”

At those words Bonbon removed herself from his chest and instead went to hug his upper torso, nuzzling him in the neck she started to cry once again. This time however, they were tears of gladness.

With that, everypony around and spike went to join in the deep hug and Artemis felt he truly had made some friends here in Equestria.

As all the ponies gathered around to chat to him and say how glad they were to see he was ok, Artemis noticing that Twilight and Fluttershy both had particularly tear stained faces, and even Rainbow dash had the tell tale signs of tears in the fur under her eyes.
Artemis noticed that both Lyra and Bonbon had disappeared and was going to mention something when they both came back into the room, a saddlebag now on Lyra's back.

They both approached Artemis, all the other ponies pausing in their chatter and parting to let Lyra and Bonbon through.

Lyra coughed, “Artemis, me and Lyra are really sorry,” Artemis was about to interrupt but Twilight used her magic to pull the bed covers over his mouth to make him stay quiet.

Lyra continued, “Artemis, me and Bonbon have a little something for you,” as she did this Bonbon retrieved a bag from Lyra’s saddlebag.

“This is a selection of treats, including Bonbons,” she smiled a weary smile, “stayed up all night to make these for you, its a token gesture, but I had to do something.”

Then Lyra produced a small bag of coins.
“I heard from Twilight you planned to do some work for Applejack today so I went and did it for you,” placing the bag on a bedside table along with the treats, “this is the pay from it.”

Artemis didn’t know what to say, he felt what remained of his anger at the pair dissolve as he thought about how they sacrificed themselves to try and make it up to him.

He beckoned them closer, and embraced both of them in a hug at the same time.
“Thanks to both to you,” he said giving them a warm smile and then turning to the other 7 in the room, “Thank you all.” With that they all came in to embrace him.

“So do any of you have any Idea when i can get out of here?”

With that Twilight smiled cheekily, “The doctor said you will be able to come home today, and you don’t need to worry about medical fees, the princess’s have sorted that out.”

Then Rainbow butted in, “The best thing is though, you still need around a week to recover so you can walk, so each of us,” She indicated to the 6 of them, “have agreed to spend 1 day each looking after you.”

Artemis looked and it did indeed seem that each of them was really looking forward to spending a day looking after him, even Fluttershy at that moment seemed more eager than shy.

However, Artemis felt a pang of guilt, he had only known the 6 for 2 days and already they were willing to spend a whole day away from work to look after him.
“Guys you really do that.”

“We all thought you’d say that,” Applejack stated, “However y’all have to admit, not much you can do to stop us with you in that state.”

Artemis sighed, she was right. “So who do I have looking after me first.”

At this Rarity stepped forward, “why me darling, well me and Sweetie Bell, oh I know she’s just going to love meeting you,” she batted her eyelashes.

“Anyway,” Twilight stepped in again, “time to get you back to the Library.”

With that Fluttershy went out to get the nurse who came in with a wheelchair and all three unicorns withheld their magic to get Artemis into it seeing how eager Fluttershy was to help.

As they headed out, Spike who till now had been staying at the back of the group, clearly embarrassed, hopped onto Artemis lap, Twilight tutted but seeing Artemis was happily talking to him held her tongue and let it be.

As they went past each of the ponies homes, they slowly drifted off until only Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Rarity remained.
When they reached the Library, the three ponies who were to head off to their homes bid their goodbyes, with Rarity adding that Artemis better get a good nights sleep as apparently he would need it.
Wheeling Artemis and Spike into the tree Twilight felt ecstatic, Rarity may be looking after Artemis tomorrow, but she had him for tonight.
“So what do you want for dinner then?” She asked both Artemis and Spike as she closed the door.