• Published 1st Jan 2015
  • 3,657 Views, 134 Comments

From Nothing To Something - Rated Ponystar



Lightning Dust tells Rainbow Dash how her whole life ended after the Acadamy and then picked up again into what it is now.

  • ...
14
 134
 3,657

Chapter 6

“You’re a member of the Shadow-phhhff!” Lighting Dash’s hoof had quickly covered Rainbow Dash’s mouth before she could say any more. A few heads turned in their direction, but after glaring back at them, they quickly went back to their own business. After giving Rainbow Dash a warning glare, she removed her hoof from the Wonderbolt’s mouth, cleaning it with a napkin.

Dash, quickly clearing her mouth out with some water they had on their table, whispered, “Sorry, but you’re a Shadowbolt?”

Was a Shadowbolt. I stopped being one once my daughter was born to be a full time mom,” said Lighting Dust, as she raised an eyebrow. “How did you know about us? Only Princess Luna, Captain Spitfire, and a few others know of its existence.”

The whole group was “un-official” in all but writing. The idea of the group was to have a black ops squad of top flyers who could do missions at night while standing by for any other emergency. Princess Luna had specifically requested that the group be declassified along with all the names of anypony involved with the special ops group from the flyers themselves to the uniform tailors.

“I heard about it a few years ago. You’d be surprised how much scuttlebutt gets around the military the higher you go up in rank,” answered Rainbow Dash, looking at Lighting Dust in awe. “Man, it must have been so cool to be going on top secret missions all the time”

“They weren’t easy, but they were exciting in their own way. We rarely ever lost a single squad member too, that was what impressed Princess Luna the most,” said Lighting Dust proudly.

“We’re you Captain too?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“No, I wasn’t even Lieutenant. I was actually the team’s scout since I was the fastest and stealthiest of the team,” answered Lighting Dust proudly, “I once snuck into a changeling base for intel on a possible rough changeling attack that was to happen in Dodge Junction. I got in, got out, and they arrested the changeling the next day.”

“How was the training? Brutal?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“More like a living tartarus,” moaned Lighting Dust as she banged her head on the table. “Captain Spitfire’s training has nothing on Princess Luna. She’s practically a slave driver and she pushed us to our limits and beyond each night. Still, her training did keep us alive so that’s something to be grateful for."

“What was it like?”

“….Well..”

***

The big day had come at last. It was time for Lighting Dust to see if she had what it took to be a Shadowbolt. She had trained every day with Redstreak since deciding to follow his advice and join up for the chance of being part of Equestria’s newest flying force.

The training was going to take place in a remote and secret Wonderbolt base that was abandoned a hundred years ago, but recently been fixed to become the Shadowbolt’s new base of operations. A guide would bring them to the base, which was right at the top of Mt. Moonblade, a mountain up the north near the Crystal Mountains that separated Equestria from the Crystal Empire.

The base itself was part of the mountain, carved and designed to have most of the base inside the rocky structure, while the training grounds and entrance was on a platform outside. Landing on the large platform, Lighting Dust saw a lot of training equipment from her days at the Wonderbolt Academy such as the dizzatron, but there were also new obstacles such as automatic crossbows, electric barriers, and even what looked to be a magical mine field.

“Princess Luna really is serious about this, huh?” asked Lightning Dust to Redstreak as he landed beside her.

“Yes, if you’re not careful you will end up seriously hurt in these trials. That is why you must focus and be on your guard for anything,” addressed Redstreak, now talking in the commanding and respectable voice that had lead the Wonderbolts for over twenty-nine years.

All around the landing area were trainers and assistants, some of which Lightning recognized from the Academy. What really stood out was the appearance of the Lunar division of Equestria’s army. They were all setting things up or guiding those who were carrying travel bags with them such as Lighting Dust. Those with the bags, easily recognized as recruits, were heading inside the mountain where she spotted a silver magical barrier that blocked the cave entrance of the base.

“This is where we part, Lighting. I cannot help you once you are through that barrier,” said Redstreak, getting her attention. Despite the seriousness in his voice, he still held a warm smile that made Lighting Dust want to say something she had wanted to say for a long time, ever since he rescued her. However, she let him continue to speak. “You’ve trained hard, and you have a good head on your shoulders. I know you will succeed in becoming a Shadowbolt, but even if you don’t, I want you to know that I am proud of how far you have come since I first met you in that ill-fated meeting. Never forget that you are like family to me and I will always treasure you as such.”

“Thanks, I hope to make you proud…” Lighting Dust took a deep breath, as she whispered the one word she wanted to call Redstreak for the longest time. “… Dad.”

It was soft enough so that only Redstreak could hear, and the widening of his eyes made it clear that he had heard what she said. Deciding to go before he could say anything else, Lighting Dust hugged him and quickly flew towards the barrier without waiting for a response.

A unicorn Lunar Guard stopped her from going in. “Halt. State your name.”

“Lightning Dust.”

The other guard, a bat pony, looked at a list he had in front of him before nodding to his unicorn partner. “You are free to enter. The other recruits are in the mission briefing building. Three entrances to your right. Good luck.”

His horn glowed as the barrier went down. Lighting Dust took a deep breath before walking into the mountain…

***

Lighting Dust was half berating herself for just going out there and saying “Dad” to Redstreak, while the other half was gawking over what the base looked like inside. The cave was smoothed out into one giant hallway that was half the size of the palace in Canterlot. Floating above the deep abyss were giant rock bases that were the size of the small island districts in Cloudsdale. Each one had ebony towers and buildings made from obelisk metal, the darkest metal there was and twice as strong as steel.

There were holographic symbolic pictures that gave a clear idea which building was for what such as pillows for the barracks, swords for the armory, and a dumbbell for the training room. The entire place was bigger than the entire Wonderbolts Academy, and designed better (if the black metal buildings, waterfalls, and glittering gems above like stars said anything).

After gawking at the sights she quickly remembered why she was here, and made her way to the building the guard mentioned. Said building had Princess Luna’s cutie mark as the hologram sign. A few guards posted at the doors saluted her before she entered the building and down the silvery halls, following the painted arrows on the walls.

They guided her towards a set of double doors that lead into a massive chamber building with seats surrounding a circular stage and a giant glowing blue crystal floating in the middle. Inside the seats, or hanging around in groups near them, were the other candidates, consisting of both pegasi and bat ponies.

A few of them glanced over at her, but they soon went back to their own business. Some were in conversation with each other while some were sitting alone. Lighting Dust shifted her weight a bit, unsure of what to do. If this was the old her, she would have been already strolling around like she owned the place and impressing the others with some daring tales of her talents.

But that was the same Lighting Dust who got everypony else hating her, nearly caused five mares to lose their lives, and get kicked out of the Academy.

Taking a deep breath, Lighting Dust just casually walked over to an open seat next to a bat pony who had long dark blue hair and a scar on his cheek. Staring at it, Lighting Dust soon saw his gaze turned to her and she was about to apologize for staring when he smiled at her. It was a warm smile, almost gentle in a way. Not what you would expect from a bat pony. They were always so mysterious and emotionless towards others that most often thought of them as rude.

Glad to see that’s not true in this case, thought Lighting Dust as she gave a smile back.

Suddenly, the doors slammed open and almost everypony jumped. Princess Luna, along with two of her guards, had just arrived. Following her were Captain Spitfire, and a male bat pony in Lunar Armor that Lighting assumed was the head of the Lunar Guard. Everyone had rushed to their seats to sit in as Princess Luna arrived at the stage and lit up her horn.

The gem behind her began to glow and showed an image above like a projector which was like the logo of the Wonderbolts, but instead of pegasi wings it was bat pony wings and the moon was seen behind the lightning bolt.

“Greetings, mares and stallions who have been chosen to attend. You have all been selected to compete against one another for a chance to be part of a new atrial combat team that is designed for covert ops and night strikes. You will be the shadows that shall swallow those who commit injustice. You will be the secret dagger of Equestria that shall strike her enemies in the night and without warning. You shall answer to me and me alone,” said Princess Luna before she showed the Shadowbolt uniforms which Lighting Dust had to admit were really cool looking. “This will be a small squad consisting of only nine members. As such, not all of you will make it. Those who do not pass shall have their memories wiped of this base’s location and all the faces associated with it. You will remember you tried out for the Shadowbolts, but nothing more.”

Luna’s face began to darken. “This training will be unlike anything you faced. There will be times when your life is at risk, but this is the life you will lead as a Shadowbolt. You will cry, sweat, and even curse my name when we are done. But you will become the fliers of the night should you survive and pass.” A few pegasi began to sweat at this point and look worried. “If you wish to leave now the door is open and the guards outside the base will erase your memory.”

A few ponies managed to get up and leave, but there were still at least seventeen fliers left. Princess Luna continued to look at them for a bit before continuing. She charged her horn again and showed one of Equestria’s most wanted criminals: Starlight Glimmer. “This is our main target. Starlight Glimmer, who leads the Equalist Cult. She is wanted for acts of terrorism against the state. She currently has followers hidden from us in all areas of Equestria, our first major campaign will be to take her out, but only after we have our team.”

“For now, take rest and prepare for training tomorrow. And be prepared for anything. Dismissed!”