• Published 1st Jan 2015
  • 1,135 Views, 65 Comments

She Rocks My World - LightningSword



A pony out on the town takes his friend through an encounter with gangsters, dancers, and the mare of his dreams. His life will never be the same . . .

  • ...
18
 65
 1,135

"Leave the girl alone!"

They were probably here by now. Either that, or Shades was going to have some explaining to do next time he was seen. It would be the last thing he'd ever say with a whole tongue.

Whistling to himself, 'Big D' sat back in his chair, finishing up an origami bird he'd started to pass the time. It would've been easier to use magic, but that would have defeated the purpose. Killing time was one thing he was good at. Hell, he was good at killing something; what it was depended on his mood.

That girl of Shades' was getting to be a nuisance. She'd done nothing but whine for the last week or so, harping on about one thing or another every day. It was usually about the illegal activities going on at the Waterhorse, but most often it was about the response Shades had had to give to her incessant whining. It was a shame he'd had to respond that way, too. Bruises didn't look good on that pretty yellow body.

Well, maybe around the plot, but then she'd cover them up. What a drag . . .

The paper bird slipped out of his furry right paw, and gripping it in his sharp left talon almost pierced the damn thing. It may pass the time, but it was so aggravating sometimes.


The screen lifted off the stage, and Nocturne was back on all fours, smoothly and casually walking up to the edge of the stage. The song Spike picked out, a brisk, easy, and jazzy R&B jam, blared loud on the jukebox, and Nocturne subtly moved in time with the beat. He'd take a step, bob his head, adjust his collar and his hat; he wasn't particular. He let the music do the work for him. It told him what to do in its own language, and it always knew what to do.

By now, the entire lobby was watching him move, including the pink-maned mare and her unwanted company. Nocturne stepped down off the stage, and was back on his hind legs; he turned into a deft backspin, pushed his hat forward on his head, turned to the other side, then walked forward, back on all fours, adjusting his hat once again. He liked to play with his hat while he danced. He didn't really know why; it was just one thing the music told him to do.

He saw the Pegasus mare slowly get up and walk toward him, and his heart skipped a beat. He kept his cool, though, and kept moving with the rhythm. This was going to work after all.


At the bar, the mare was stopped by one of the group, a thin, reedy Pegasus with molting wings and a slicked-back mane. “Where do you think you're going, hot stuff?” he asked, half-lusty and half-confrontational.

“I was . . . well . . . I was just going to watch the show,” she replied nervously, “It looks really . . . . interesting . . .” She trailed off when she glanced back in Nocturne's direction.

“Not gonna happen,” Slick shook his head, “Big D will be down any minute, and he'll want you—”

“Let her go,” Shades rolled his eyes, “If she wants to watch that clown, let her. If she's smart, she won't get far.”

Slick glanced at Shades, then back at the mare, skeptical at such a claim; finally, though, he stood aside and let her pass. She walked away from the bar and toward the stage, and Slick looked at Shades angrily.

“Way to go!” he berated Shades, “Once she gets with that creep, she's out of here! And all because you couldn't keep her on a leash! Didn't think about that, huh, smart guy?”

“Chill out,” Shades replied, “Like I said, she won't go anywhere if she knows what's good for her. I'll make sure of that. Besides, if she splits, she answers to the boss, and to me.” He glanced back in the mare's direction, and had to do a double take. She was gone. A glance at the stage, and he saw that Nocturne was gone, too.

Shades ground his teeth together angrily and took off his shades, putting them in his suit pocket. “That guy . . .” he growled, “. . . that . . . that . . . .” His frustration seemed to be split between finding an appropriate slur and admitting that Slick was right.

Slick walked up next to him and placed a hoof on his shoulder to get his attention, “I think he wants to die . . . .”


Nocturne stared into the eyes of his new company, and she stared right back, past the shadow cast by his fedora. Once they'd met up, they'd turned a corner into a stairwell so they could be alone together, and hadn't even spoken a word to each other about it. This was encouraging; they didn't even know each other's names, and they were already in sync.

“Well,” Nocturne quipped, “I'm glad we lost that crowd.”

The mare blushed and smiled at him, “Thanks for getting me out of there. Those stallions, well, they're not very nice.”

Nocturne glanced behind him, “Yeah, I had a feeling. But, you know, if you're looking for an escort out of here, I'd be happy to oblige.”

“That's really nice of you, but . . . well, how are you going to get me out without them knowing?”

“Don't sweat it,” Nocturne grinned, gesturing out to the lobby with his head, “We'll distract them. I got somepony on it. Or rather, some dragon.”

The mare glanced in the direction indicated, and saw a group of ponies by the stage, all joined in a group dance to the beat of the song. They were being led by a certain short, purple dragon in a black suit and fedora.

The mare smiled and giggled, seeming more relaxed in Nocturne's presence. So much so that she found herself drawn to him; she lifted her head up towards his, slipping a little closer to him at a time. Nocturne did the same, craning his neck down to meet her, and their noses nearly touched, as if to kiss.

The mare suddenly gasped and backed away, “Oh, we shouldn't do this! What will they think? What will Shades think? What will their boss think? Oh, dear! I'm sorry, but I can't. At least not now.”

Nocturne felt dejected for a second, but found hope in the mare's last words. “Don't worry,” he assured her, “My friend and I will figure something out. We'll get those jerks away from you. Count on it.”

The mare smiled at him, looking comforted by his words, and nodded. She turned to walk out of the stairwell, and was quickly greeted by Shades and his crew. “Oh!” she squeaked, “Um . . . hi, guys.”

“Save the cutesy crap, doll,” Shades spat, “Where is he?”

“Who?” she replied, trying to keep the anxiety out of her voice.

“I said cut the crap! You know who I mean! The weirdo with the bat wings and the hat! Where is he?”

“Oh, right . . . you mean him?” She pointed over his shoulder, and when they turned, they saw Nocturne, standing close to the stage and back to dancing to the tune of the R&B jam on the jukebox. He was back up on his hind legs, performing spins, locking his legs, and adjusting his hat; each move captivated the crowds.

Spike temporarily left the dance group he'd started as a distraction to join Nocturne's side, and the stallion dropped back onto all fours. “Would you look at that?” he muttered to his dragon friend excitedly, “Quite the slip I gave those guys! Man, you were right! I think she likes me!”

“Stop pressing your luck, Nocturne!” Spike muttered back as they continued to dance, “Leave the mare alone!”

Nocturne was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. Even if there wasn't a spark between them, he had to do something. This mare was in big trouble, and he needed to get her far away from these thugs as soon as possible. All he needed was an explanation.

And maybe, another well-placed group dance. That always helped.