• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 412 Views, 23 Comments

Monsters in the forest - Voltsthevoltvolts



Duskshire is a small town surround by acres of forest, the town guard tries its best to keep back the wildlife, monsters and undead that constantly try and destroy the small town.

  • ...
 23
 412

An unwelcome problem

Duskshire, a small little town located in the middle of a large forest. It has a town hall, a tavern, a small post office that deals with the mail using magical means. Several small stalls and shops run by the towns ponies were dotted around the town. Several large trees overhung the entire town, allowing little natural light in, however the unicorn of the town had developed permanent light orbs that are held in place by crude wooden lampposts.

In the center of the town a small crowd of ponies had amassed, a few guards were keeping the group in check. A formal looking stallion was at the center of the crowd, addressing the group.

"Citizens, settle down. Please return to your normal lives." The stallion calmly said.

"But are we safe?" Somepony shouted out. "What are the guards doing?"

"They're keeping you in check!" A jaded looking guard shouted as he stood by the stallion addressing the group. "The mayor and myself can do very little at this point, I see no point in weakening out defenses in order to send a search party." The guard shook his head and gave a long drawn out sigh. "Any questions?"

"What was found?" A quiet voice asked in the crowd. "All I have heard is rumors."

The guard sighed again and prepared for the worst. "A deer corpse, drained completely of blood."

"A deer?"

"No blood?"

"There's a vampony in the woods!"

"What about my foals?"

"Order!" The guard shouted. "As I said, there is very little we can do. Provided that it isn't feral we should have no issues. I have my own foal to look after, so if you would please return to your lives." The crowed murmured for a moment before dissipating, the formal stallion shook his head and sighed.

"I tell you Oaken, we are doomed if it goes feral. Last time... I don't even want to remember." The stallion despaired.

"Yes... I don't like to think about it. May Alice rest in peace..." Oaken sighed. "The advanced scouts came back, their search turned up empty. Hawk Eye nearly got mauled by a nail beast. Its not worth the risk to go out and search."

The stallion chuckled weakly. "I agree, now to change the subject. How is little Ivy?"

"She is doing well, but I struggle to keep her in one place. I fear she may run into the forest and never return..." Oaken smiled happily. "She has the best of me and her mother. I am so happy for her."

"Yes, if she follows in your hoofsteps she will make a great guard. Perhaps the best yet." The stallion teased. Oaken seemed unimpressed by the statement.

"Yes... Maybe. However, back to the matter at hoof." Oaken sternly said. "We found the corpse in the west portion of the forest, therefore I see it fit to make a announcement about that."

"Yes Oaken, we will do that..."

"You, will do that." Oaken sighed. "I have my daughter to see... She was worried when I ran out when one of the guards came rushing in." Oaken shared a happy laugh with the stallion and then headed towards his house.


In the main guard district of the town a large cluster of houses were neatly packed together, the purpose of this was to be a rally point if the town should ever be attacked. The largest out of all these house was where the captain of the guard resided. The captain of the guard himself was a old veteran who went by the name of Oaken Shield.

"Ivy! I'm home!" Oaken called out as he pushed the door open. A small filly with a tomcoltish hairstyle, turquoise mane and beige body came running down the stairs. The two hugged briefly before Oaken pulled himself away. "Missed you my little Ivy."

"Missed you too Daddy." The little filly happily said. "I was lonely..." Ivy sorrowfully said. "But now you're back!"

"Yes... I am back!" Oaken happily said. "I must ask you something Ivy, something very important. If you ever go into the forest, you must not go into the west side. There are monster there."

"There are monsters in the forest all the time!" Ivy gleefully said. "A few of them are nice but..."

"No, this is important Ivy. The monsters in the west side will eat you, they will eat you quicker then a nail beast." Oaken sternly said. "This is very important Ivy, you must be careful." Oaken chuckled. "The reason why I say this is because... If I tell you to not go into the forest, you will just run out when I'm not looking."

"Its alright Daddy, I will stay on the path and will not go further then five minutes." Ivy hopefully said. A brief nod from Oaken meant that she could go out. "You are the best Dad ever." Ivy chuckled gleefully. "And I love you so much."

"I know, I just don't want to use lose you." Oaken sighed happily. "Just, be careful my little Ivy." Ivy nodded and left the house, determined to discover something in the forest.


The east side of the forest, not the nicest place if you left the path however Ivy knew better then to leave the path. "Lalalala! Skipping down the path!" Ivy sang happily as she skipped down the path. Every few steps Ivy would stop and smell a flower before resuming her skipping. "Pretty, pretty flowers!"

Rustle, rustle...

"Oh! Something here?" Ivy exclaimed as she froze, her eyes quickly darted around as she scanned the forest line. "Oh!" Ivy picked out a worn down pathway, the grass was flat as if something had been dragged along it. "What's this! Who flattened the grass!" Ivy asked nothing nearby as she started to follow the trail. Soon she found herself in a small clearing.

"Hm?" A barely audible voice said. Ivy froze, she tried to find the source of the noise however she could not see anything nearby.

"W-Who's there!?" Ivy shouted however she was met with silence. "Please! I mean no harm!" Ivy pleaded, however when she met with silence again she became agitated. "If you don't come out, I will get my Dad! He is captain of the guard!"

"You asked for it..." A shadowy figured silently dropped behind the small filly, shrouded by the shadows. Ivy slowly turned and tried to make out the shadowy figure.

Author's Note:

I will write a second chapter to this. Also, constructive criticism is welcome... As long as it is constructive.